3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color Matched Vinyl Wrap Upper/Lower Grill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 02:39 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Color Matched Vinyl Wrap Upper/Lower Grill?

Whatup Acurazine,

I have a third generation 2007 Acura TL Base. I am going for the murdered out silver look on the front end since my paint is alabaster silver and I have cleared the headlights with the clear diffusers and painted the inside of my headlights alabaster silver to match the OEM paint. Everything looks slick except for I am a bit of a perfectionist and hate the black interior color of the upper grill and the black color of the two lower grills by the fog lights that are also black. I want to color match these three grill areas so the whole front end is silver. My question is have any of you tried to do this mod? And if so what is the best method of doing so? I'm guessing if you try to just paint it, it will probably tend to chip off and look worse as time goes on. So should I go to a vinyl car wrap shop and have the three grills wrapped in silver vinyl? Does vinyl wrapping last? Or does it tend to bubble up over time kind of like cheap window glass tint does? Let me know what you guys think is the proper solution for this. By the way I live in Orange County, CA south of Los Angeles also if anybody has a good spot to refer me to do to get this modification done. Thanks in advance for your time. Have a good one.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterDavid
Whatup Acurazine,

I have a third generation 2007 Acura TL Base. I am going for the murdered out silver look on the front end since my paint is alabaster silver and I have cleared the headlights with the clear diffusers and painted the inside of my headlights alabaster silver to match the OEM paint. Everything looks slick except for I am a bit of a perfectionist and hate the black interior color of the upper grill and the black color of the two lower grills by the fog lights that are also black. I want to color match these three grill areas so the whole front end is silver. My question is have any of you tried to do this mod? And if so what is the best method of doing so? I'm guessing if you try to just paint it, it will probably tend to chip off and look worse as time goes on. So should I go to a vinyl car wrap shop and have the three grills wrapped in silver vinyl? Does vinyl wrapping last? Or does it tend to bubble up over time kind of like cheap window glass tint does? Let me know what you guys think is the proper solution for this. By the way I live in Orange County, CA south of Los Angeles also if anybody has a good spot to refer me to do to get this modification done. Thanks in advance for your time. Have a good one.
Question here is how many pesos are you willing to part with?

Cost notwithstanding I would recommend having the front pieces painted professionally to color match your alabaster, then let it gas off for a couple months. Finally, 3M pro clear bra vinyl wrap to protect from rock chips and any other damage. While your at it, have the entire front bumper, 1/2 hood, and 1/2 fenders done too.

that would be too legit.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello David ����. A few things, are you wanting to do the work yourself?? And are you a stickler for it being an exact color match? If the answer to both is yes, then I would recommend paint, as far as I have seen tgere aren't a wide range of color match vinyl suppliers, and the colors they have are few and far between. That being said, Albin's suggestion of a clear protective vinyl over it is a fantastic idea.

As for the longevity of vinyl, it won't bubble up as long as your prep work is done properly. Depending on where you order your vinyl, they may have prep spray available for purchase but personally I save my money and use 70% isopropyl alcohol. It MUST BE at LEAST 70% in order for it to do you any good. Color on vinyl can last anywhere from 5-7 years, sometimes longer depending on the verticle exposure, but if it's done right and maintained correctly, most vinyl can last a very long time.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. As a shop owner, it's my job to make sure people are comfortable with all the options they have l. Regardless if they're coming to get work done with me or not.