Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car seats on the TL's leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 06:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car seats on the TL's leather seats

I need to put a car seat and a booster seat of my 2 kids on my TL. Can I just put the carseats directly on top of the leather seats? Would it not distort the leather? Is there anything out there that would protect the leather seats from the bottom part of the carseats some of which are kinda rough and pointy specially on the corners and edges.

Any suggestions from past experiences?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:39 PM
10th Gear

for about $15

go to your local got everything store ie walmart or target. they make a seat cover designed to go under the child car seats. also try babies r us. also will save you on those spills.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Re: Car seats on the TL's leather seats

Originally posted by DvdGene
I need to put a car seat and a booster seat of my 2 kids on my TL. Can I just put the carseats directly on top of the leather seats? Would it not distort the leather? Is there anything out there that would protect the leather seats from the bottom part of the carseats some of which are kinda rough and pointy specially on the corners and edges.

Any suggestions from past experiences?
No dice! If you install it properly it is going to screw up your leather no matter what. We used the mat on our 4Runner limited and after two years of being cinched down, it left permanent distortions.

With the tendency of the Acura leather to distort just from everyday use, you should either trade the kid in for an older one that ride in the seat or just accept that is the price you will pay for your child's safety.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I have two kids (now 9 and 7) and what I have always done is as follows: Go and buy a bunch of inexpensive towels roughly the same color as the interior of the car. I folded up one or two towels to be roughly the same dimensions as the bottom of the car seats and put them on the seat. Then I would place a towel lengthwise from the head rest down to the floor over the folded ones. Next I would run a towel across the back seat tucking it in where the rear deck meets the top of the seat. Then last but not least I would do the same thing across the bottom seat cushon. Tuck this in where the two seat sections meet but below the receivers for the belt buckles. So on the back part of the seat you have two layers of towel protecting it and on the bottom seat cushion (where all the weight and cinching happens) you have about 6 layers of protection(assuming you fold the first couple of towels into quarters). Between the two car seat you still have one towel each covering the top and bottom seat cushions. When you go to buy the towels, you will want to look for "bath sheets" as they are the longest in length and should reach from one side of the car to the other.

I know this sounds like a lot, but if it keeps the creases/indentations out of the seat and protects from random food samplings and spils - what is that worth to you. Oh and one other thing if you have a light interior and get light towels, you can just throw them in the washer.

My $.02
Old 03-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Two options:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...299153-5679013

....and....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...299153-5679013

BJ
Old 03-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Re: Re: Car seats on the TL's leather seats

Originally posted by Swat Dude
you should either trade the kid in for an older one that ride in the seat or just accept that is the price you will pay for your child's safety.
Hahahaha, trade the kid in. I wonder what the depreciation is... especially on a teenager?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro

1. Babies R Us will have a selection of seat covers that will do the job of protecting the seats from scratches.

2. If you're using a seat with upper anchor, remove the headrest behind that seat or risk damaging it, regardless of whether you go under or over it.

3. If you're using LATCH lower anchors, you WILL damage the leather above them, if you properly tighten the strap. Mine got so wrinkled over each LATCH connection point that it brought tears to my eyes. The wrinkles did go away about 80% after couple of months. I simly took out the baby seat that attaches with LATCH and said THIS CAR WILL NOT SEE THIS SEAT AGAIN!

I do have my older son's booster in the car on top of the protection mat, but we now never use my car to have both kids in it. We have a minivan for that. Now if only my son could stop kicking the back of my seat and the surrounding areas! They sell transparent protectors for the seatbacks, but I ended up taking that ugly thing off.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:51 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
USe old towels. Worked well in our van with leather seating.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:53 PM