Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car panics on sharp turn!?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car panics on sharp turn!?

Ok weirdest thing happened today.

I'm driving my TL with a passenger on the other side. I downshifted into 2nd before making a turn and come up on the turn pretty aggressivly "testing VSA" and in the turn my car beeps and the interior lights come on! It happened for like 2 seconds, all I could think was WTF! It's like I opened a door or something. I pull over and my buddy and I check the doors and everything was closed and locked properly.

Any one know what this could be?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you made the turn as hard as you say, maybe the G's was enough to trip a door switch or something. The only time the VSA showed up for me was when one tire spun on an piece of ice when I was leaving a light. Only thing I remember seeing was the VSA symbol (triangle with exclamation point) flash once or twice and that was it. I didn't even feel it cut the power to the engine. Maybe it tapped the brakes on that wheel for me. I'm saying all that to say that I don't think it chimes and flashes the interior light when it is trying to save your rear end from wrapping around a tree.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Umm, it sounds more like the driver was panicking, not the car.

Your VSA worked, and thus the blinking. The car was slipping, and it had corrected your oversteer, thanks to it, you are here writing about it, instead of being wrapped around a pole.

Use brakes to slow down the car, not 2nd gear.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
try reading the owner operating manual- it describes all the traction and braking -throttle control systems, so you work WITH them not rely on them to save your dumb ,,,,
The computer is out-thinking you- plain and simple

Try some aggressive move at speed on ice and watch it take over trying to save itself!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
the door opening chime, open your door (drivers) and look at the sticker with the PSI info. Follow that pillar up and you will see a small ribbed rubber knob about 1/2 to 3/4s of an inch in length. This is the door sensor. When the door is closed it pushes in, when open it pops out and triggers the MID. Make sure it is straight and pushed in fine. Open the other doors and you will see them. Check each one.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
the door opening chime, open your door (drivers) and look at the sticker with the PSI info. Follow that pillar up and you will see a small ribbed rubber knob about 1/2 to 3/4s of an inch in length. This is the door sensor. When the door is closed it pushes in, when open it pops out and triggers the MID. Make sure it is straight and pushed in fine. Open the other doors and you will see them. Check each one.
Exactly what I was thinking, maybe one of the door sensors tripped or something. Just weird, its like the door popped open but never did.

To all, I Know how VSA works, this has nothing do to with that.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
The BMW guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL... some of you guys crack me up. Wrap it around a tree? hahaha, the closest tree might have been 50 yards away. The weather conditions were not inclement in any way either. It was a back road turning onto a 4 lane road, a perfect place to test ur suspension/tires/VSA/etc. But, thanks, for, the, advice. :-)

The center lights came on in the car (the dome Lights) and the car chimed like the door opened... while in hard cornering. That has nothing to do with VSA. VSA flashes a light in the cluster, and does several other things. It does NOT make a chiming noise like the door opened. It pulled a good G around the corner, but there was no tire squeal, nor did it feel like the car was out of control. Maybe it is the door sensor... :-\

Are there any tilt (roll) sensors?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there are sensors for yaw/sway- nose angle- rate of decelleration....

We had a member last year in a gen3 tried to do a quick 4 lane change on the freeway-diving late for the exit- in front of a truck in the next lane...in snowy icy road conditions and temps..while going 55 mph!!!!
The sensors picked up an increase in throttle and sharp turn- interpreted that as imminent spin and began to modulate the throttle and apply brake to one or 2 corners
--all to save itself
The driver was surprised that the car did all these things and thought it was trying to kill him!

check the door sensors of course- things get loose or were not set perfect at the factory, g loading could add to the problem--maybe a loose connection

For those who have not already done so, PLEASE read the book and understand the systems
Then look up Track Days, 1 day high performance driving schools at racetracks across the country
$250 for a day with a pro race driver as your in car coach or lead and follow around the track- you driving your car on the 3 mile long 35 foot wide race course!
You can safely push the car to learn what it will and will not do.
Racers know how and when a car spins or drifts, they can give you instant feedback and corrections to make you a much better driver in just a day
Stock cars are fine, modded cars are allowed too.

Knowing your cars limits of braking- its best braking distance, and how to approach -enter and depart every type of corner...its an amazing day and skill set you will use every day

caution- its addictive~ but way cheaper than any speeding ticket and you drive full throttle, max effort braking, for 20-30 minutes solid- then debrief and review- get ready for the next session, When on the roads can you drive like that?!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LOL. You guys put way too much faith in the VSA system. It won't save your ass in a real slide, it will get you out of a very, very minor drift.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Team Owner

And to contribute something, I had something similar happen. I was passing a couple trucks when one decided to pass the one in front of him without checking his rearview to see me coming up on him. I went into the gravel on the side of the road to avoid him. I had the stereo on loud at the time. I ended up passing him sideways through the gravel at 65mph with the car extremely sideways, I had the steering locked as far as it would go into the slide.

The rear came back in line predictably but I could swear I heard a warning chime and the radio had turned itself off. At first I thought the CD had skipped but the power was turned off.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Vroooom!!!

Originally Posted by I hate cars

The rear came back in line predictably but I could swear I heard a warning chime and the radio had turned itself off. At first I thought the CD had skipped but the power was turned off.
I wonder if something flashed on the MID during the warning chime. I know you were probably too focused on the road and that truck to notice. It would be cool if it flashed "We're About to Die!!!" in those instances.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the recent heavy snowfalls in chicago, Last month i decided to have a small bit of fun...When making a right turn (at 3am), with the streets covered in inches of snow and no one around, i turn, gas, and pull handbrake..I realized, upon pulling the handbrake, I had forgotten to turn the VSA off. Its light was flashing, and a weird chime rang. Kinda like "wtf are you doing?! STOP!" kinda chime...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ankur914
With the recent heavy snowfalls in chicago, Last month i decided to have a small bit of fun...When making a right turn (at 3am), with the streets covered in inches of snow and no one around, i turn, gas, and pull handbrake..I realized, upon pulling the handbrake, I had forgotten to turn the VSA off. Its light was flashing, and a weird chime rang. Kinda like "wtf are you doing?! STOP!" kinda chime...
That chime, happens when the car senses the handbrake is engauged while the car is in motion.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
I wonder if something flashed on the MID during the warning chime. I know you were probably too focused on the road and that truck to notice. It would be cool if it flashed "We're About to Die!!!" in those instances.
That was already flashing in my head lol.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Vroooom!!!

Originally Posted by CJ0920
That chime, happens when the car senses the handbrake is engauged while the car is in motion.
That is what I was thinking....

That was already flashing in my head lol.
Nice save, btw. I'm sure when it was over, a change in underwear was in order.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Its the door sensor.. It happens to me once in a while when I turn hard and I have a passenger in the car. Try this.. while the car is on, push the passenger door outward where the armrest is. This should do exactly what happened when you were turning. Im guessing I need my sensor replace, but I think it was because I messed up the sensor when I put my illuminated door sills in because its done that ever since then.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol.. that is a weird one for sure!