3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you really get more power out of a TL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Can you really get more power out of a TL-S?

in planning to get a TL-S, one of the things that I like about it...you may think this is weird, but to me it's a perk - is that it really ins't a car that one would want to mod the hell out of.

i mean you can do AEM intakes, exhausts, suspensions, etc... but it's not the kind of car that you HAVE to mod. like if you have an EVO or a 335, a chip makes big power..and you'd almost feel like youHAVE to do it..

but on a TL-S, they have essentially modded it slightly from the factory...so if you are trying to ge ta sporty car out of the box, you can drive it, enjoy it, and leave it bone stock.

i kind of want that. having alredy modded the hell out of my last car, and spent thousands..i want to get something this time and just leave it 90% stock. tint windows, maybe tint tails...little cosmetic stuf..and maybe do a minor lowering..or something but tha twould be IT> I swear... really..

anyway... how much HP would one REALLY get by doing intake/exhaust on a TL-S and at WHAT cost? i'm guessing small gains for a lot of money...right. if that's the case i kn ow I would pass on it.

thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been saying that for years. You actually lose money in resale value most of the time. I may add a K&N to my '07 TL-S, but other than that, it's staying the way it is
Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Hey,

Well, intake may give you 2-6hp, exhaust max 10hp, gain at wheel hp will be minimal.

I'm leaving my stock TLS for now that way it is performance wise. You can also throw in UR Pulleys, possible better headers, I'm sure more people will chime with good ideas.

I'm still learning the car's ups and downs before I commit to a change.

Out of those who ran a whp test, what does TLS pull out?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Bello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im in the same boat i got tints and an looking at a bigger spoiler but thats it maybe for Christmas an intake for next year i really want to put a supercharger in1
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Race Director

Supercharger is awesome, but you better invest into a few trannies, as the warranty will be voided.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it has an engine... MORE power can be made.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

TINT: already built into the high tech glass. Not worth ticket
HEADERS: no can do on '07's/08's(don't know about '06) Exhaust manifolds are welded (cast) into the engine.
CAI: TL-S already has one. Not worth minimal gain vs. hydrolock risk.
LOWERING: stiff ride, curbs
19's/20's: Problems especially with the 20's. Jarring ride, less mpg
SUPERCHARGER: limited traction available to use hp gain. Expect to spend more in tires.
Postives: any of the above adds personality and individuality to one's TL. If he/she wants it....go for it
For me, I would like to move the battery to the trunk for better weight distribution, and just added a drop in K&N filter. Doubt if the K&N will do much for hp/mpg, but saves on paper filters.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think acura would want to make more power from the 3.5 as all the other japanese companies have. Yet many mechanics say the tranny is the weak link in their design and they do not provide as much power as they could since they would be concerned with tranny failure...Maybe they are just remembering several years back.... but...

There are a lot of choices in the 40K range for a car with power.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Safety Car

well its funny how it all works like a silent agreement. jap cars got high HP low torque german high hp but torque overrides and american low hp to some degree and high high torque levels.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
I've been saying that for years. You actually lose money in resale value most of the time. I may add a K&N to my '07 TL-S, but other than that, it's staying the way it is
True and when you trade in your car most dealers will brand it as "abused" so you get lower resale value.

This is why I keep my original parts and put them back in when it's time to sell.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Hey,

Well, intake may give you 2-6hp, exhaust max 10hp, gain at wheel hp will be minimal.

I'm leaving my stock TLS for now that way it is performance wise. You can also throw in UR Pulleys, possible better headers, I'm sure more people will chime with good ideas.

I think it get's 240-250 whp.
Of course you can get mor hp out of this engine, but there will always be trade-offs. This less than 20mpg already kills it for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
TOV dyno'd an 07 TL type S 6MT....
253.15hp @6200 rpm
217.03ft-lbs @6200rpm
Some believe the factory under rates the motor, to only lose 33 hp through the drive line is a little suspicious.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 254 Posts
HEADERS: no can do on '07's/08's(don't know about '06) Exhaust manifolds are welded (cast) into the engine.
SUPERCHARGER: limited traction available to use hp gain. Expect to spend more in tires.
Postives: any of the above adds personality and individuality to one's TL. If he/she wants it....go for it
For me, I would like to move the battery to the trunk for better weight distribution, and just added a drop in K&N filter. Doubt if the K&N will do much for hp/mpg, but saves on paper filters.
I think it's a double edged sword that the collector on the exhaust manifold is cast into the block. One side you can rest easier that it is sealed properly, and that any part replacement in the general region will be minimal, but on the other hand you are restricted to that stock application unless you want to have a port/polish done..which probably still wouldn't give you the same gains as headers would.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Most mods for the type S increases high end
Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
my gut is to get a TL-S and leave it stock. i briefly toyed wtih the idea of getting an older TL, like an 05 or something, and then modding it..like adding coilovers, exhasut, intake..hec, maybe evena a supercharger...but i've been there done that in terms of modding cars in the past and I"m kind of sick of it. i like the idea of the car being all custom...but with that comes the PITA of having stuff modded...things just don't work right all the time, and little gremlins pop up, then you have the hassle at the dealer...hell my last car had a body kit, was lowere, and just to get it serviced wa apain. some shops would NOT work on it b/c they couldn't get it onto the lifts, or they were just afraid of liability if they damaged something.

a car that is somewhat tricked from the factory is anice. you won't have a head turning custom ride...but it looks good, runs nice, and if ANYTHIGN isn't perefect, you have the dealer deal with it.

i could see tinting the windows darker, maybe tinting tail lights, head lights, maybe even lowering springs to get a slight drop... (if it would not screw with the warranty/suspension system balance) - or adding the aspec body kit..other than that i'd leave it stock.

oh, maybe a K&N drop in filter?? even those don't do much on new modern cars. the cars are so well tuned from the factory, that unless you have a trubo car where a chip or tune can crank up boost, you really don't get jack squat out of mods. $250 for a CAI to get 2 whp is stupid.

on my old S60R...a $1000 ECU reprogram netted 40+ hp. HUGE gains. hell, an ECU on a 335 gets huge gains....but that's turbos.

if I had unlimited funds i'd get a 335 instead of a TL-S in the first place. don't get me started on that one.. fro the combination of practicality, style, performance, and bang for the buck, the lease deal on the tL-S now is great.

i just pretty much figured that modding it would be a waste and I think i'm right. at least..it would be a WASTE for *ME*. i needed to qualify that.... i know peple will mod the TL_S and love every minute of it....but you need to know what you are getting into
Old 12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Dyno'd @ Jackson Racing:

252.61 whp (@ 6.2K rpm), 226 ft./lb. tq (@ 5K rpm) = ALL IN 4th GEAR

This is w/ my CAI, and Stage 3 exhaust mod (Don't think this is too significant)
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

I noticed a bit more power when I added the K and N airfilter, but I don't really think you need anymore power then you already have. Most people that pull up next to me don't bother to try and beat me to the a lane merge or passing on the expry to get in front, most of what you come encounter with I'm sure you can take on. Adding all that stuff is already like saying your car didn't have enough balls in the first place.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Race Director

Thank you guys for the numbers.

253whp is pretty freaken good....

23109VC, I totally agree, thus I went with the TL-S so I don't have too do much modding, all my previous cars I spent over $ 15K each modding them, just to get them stolen or broken into, its not worth it for me. After my 2G TL got dismantled in my garage, I said f*ck it, I'm done buying, now I'm leasing. I don't want any more disappointment or headaches. (Have to move out of NYC before I resume my modding passion)

TL-S stock is a pretty sexy car, of course I may drop it, add rims, tint, hid foggies and few more things, basically I will try to add cosmetics that can be easily sold at the end of the lease. The engine is fine on this baby, the tranny though still sucks, lol.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned

Since this is my first car, iv done almost everything you can do on a TLS
Old 12-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
well its funny how it all works like a silent agreement. jap cars got high HP low torque german high hp but torque overrides and american low hp to some degree and high high torque levels.
True, but look at the M3...very little torque
Old 12-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
I noticed a bit more power when I added the K and N airfilter, but I don't really think you need anymore power then you already have. Most people that pull up next to me don't bother to try and beat me to the a lane merge or passing on the expry to get in front, most of what you come encounter with I'm sure you can take on. Adding all that stuff is already like saying your car didn't have enough balls in the first place.

I've said it before...I don't CARE if they jump all over me at a light.
Cause I ain't racin'....I be too busy lookin' good
The TL-S though, not me
Old 12-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Hey,

You can't install headers on the 04-08 TL's because they do not have an exhaust manifold. What passes for a manifold is cast into the headers from the ports to the outlet.

Interestingly, the two most common bolt on mods (intake and catback exhaust) don't produce much of a power increase. This is due to the fact that the TL already has a fairly decent intake.. most of the restriction seems to reside around the silencer. As for the exhaust, perhaps the best thing would be hi-flow cats. The piping, resonator and muffers are pretty decent as they are.

A UDP will get you a slight increase in throttle response, but believe me.. it will be almost negligible.

So what this means is this. If you are willing to spend the money for a decent increase in power and toque, the best path is supercharging.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
I think it's a double edged sword that the collector on the exhaust manifold is cast into the block. One side you can rest easier that it is sealed properly, and that any part replacement in the general region will be minimal, but on the other hand you are restricted to that stock application unless you want to have a port/polish done..which probably still wouldn't give you the same gains as headers would.
There is no collector because there is no exhaust manifold. But I know what you mean. I would bet that Acura (Honda) did this for two reasons: the keep the engine ULEV rated, and to increase torque in the "normal" operating range.

A serious engine build on this engine would require different heads with traditional exhausting to allow for the application of headers with a proper collector.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Race Director

southerboy,

Cool, I'm learning new things about 3G, love this forum. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I think UPD and Supercharger will lead to problems with time. The only thing I'm disliking so far about my TLS is how at 20mph, the gear drops so rough.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM
The Golden One

I agree...when I get my TL...I'm getting the a-spec kit, a set of 18" rims, and tint. No drop, and no performance parts.

Also, my word of advice, do not get K&N filters. The oil it uses leaves residue on the MAF resulting in some shitty ass idle's. I went back to Nissan OEM on my 99 Maxima after having the K&N for 2k miles and having it dirty my MAF resulting in random reving of the engine. Clean the throttle body and the MAF, back to normal.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

southerboy,

Cool, I'm learning new things about 3G, love this forum. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I think UPD and Supercharger will lead to problems with time. The only thing I'm disliking so far about my TLS is how at 20mph, the gear drops so rough.
You're most welcome. I also continue to learn a lot from this site.. almost every time I get on it and start looking around. It has been very helpful to me over the past 3 1/2 years.

Have to ask what you mean by, "how at 20mph, the gear drops so rough"? I suspect from the context of this phrase, you have an automatic. Can you be a little more specific?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Racer

Get a cai for better gas milage or do what I did and do an icebox type of cai (main reason I got one like in my signature). I'm averaging 22mpg in traffic when I go home from work. That's not bad.

With the TL-S it's all the little things that count. 3-5 hp gain from a Cai, maybe 10 from a good exhaust, maybe 1 from the throttle body spacer, another 2 -3 from the light weight pulley, and maybe another 1-2 from the upcoming J pipe. So like you said yes, it's big bucks for marginal gains.

Just enjoy the car.. it's a good one.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
You're most welcome. I also continue to learn a lot from this site.. almost every time I get on it and start looking around. It has been very helpful to me over the past 3 1/2 years.

Have to ask what you mean by, "how at 20mph, the gear drops so rough"? I suspect from the context of this phrase, you have an automatic. Can you be a little more specific?
It seems everyone in 5sp AT is having this lovely down shift from 3rd to 2nd, if you let go of the gas pedal at 20mph, the engine breaking kicks in, but it kicks in with authority, I personally love it, I'm just afraid someone will eventually hit me, as people in NY tail gate.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ilya
I agree...when I get my TL...I'm getting the a-spec kit, a set of 18" rims, and tint. No drop, and no performance parts.

Also, my word of advice, do not get K&N filters. The oil it uses leaves residue on the MAF resulting in some shitty ass idle's. I went back to Nissan OEM on my 99 Maxima after having the K&N for 2k miles and having it dirty my MAF resulting in random reving of the engine. Clean the throttle body and the MAF, back to normal.
This probably happened after you re-oiled, and probably improperly as many do.
If done correctly, usually no problems occur.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Race Director

S Paw, the car as 250 miles on it
Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
The Golden One

This probably happened after you re-oiled, and probably improperly as many do.
If done correctly, usually no problems occur.
Nope. This is with the filter being installed the very first time, then used 2k miles. No re-oiling. It was in "factory" condition.

I'm never using anything but OEM from now on.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

That's weird. I've never heard of that. I've been using them since 1998, and never had a problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM
The Golden One

That's weird. I've never heard of that. I've been using them since 1998, and never had a problem.
Perhaps I was just unlucky. But, that being said, it has turned me off from the product.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

haha tekno when they gate me man i just slow down so hes riding his brakes..... then they lay off or try to go around and end up f**ked. ah well not my prob =)
Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Race Director

Tripnbeats,
'
Yeah, I've noticed that too lol, at first they tail gate, then they are confused, and start to keep distance from me, lol. Is it stick? auto? wtf. =]
Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
What passes for a manifold is cast into the headers from the ports to the outlet.
Big Oops!

This should be,
"What passes for a manifold is cast into the heads from the ports to the outlet."

Sorry if this caused any confusion.

SB
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

This is true for cars that have a MAF, however the 3G TL does not make use of a MAF. It's ECU makes use of the speed density engine management methodology.

Still even without a MAF, an oil-wetted filter can cause a build up of residue on the throttle plate stops machined into the throttle body. I used to have to clean these twice a year on my '88 Mustang LX 303CID which also used speed density (no MAF).

While the OEM factory filter for the TL is oil-wetted, it is only on the "bottom" side. The top side which feeds the throttle body is a dry element.

Consider the A25585 Purolator filter for a replacement.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Perhaps I was just unlucky. But, that being said, it has turned me off from the product.
There are basically two types of MAFs in use: the screen type and the hot wire type. Nissan uses the hot wire type and these are more fragile and susceptible to damage and failure (causing the ECU to go into limp home mode).
Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I would like to move the battery to the trunk for better weight distribution, and just added a drop in K&N filter. .

why would you move the battery to the trunk, when a car accelerates, the weight shifts towards the back of the car. the more weight you have back there the less traction your gonna have on your front tires, especially since the S is front wheel drive. I will lose traction, thus slowing your car down
Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by OntheJob
why would you move the battery to the trunk, when a car accelerates, the weight shifts towards the back of the car. the more weight you have back there the less traction your gonna have on your front tires, especially since the S is front wheel drive. I will lose traction, thus slowing your car down
Moving the weight to the back more evenly distributes weight in the vehicle which is not entirely meant for better acceleration but for better handling on corners.

Because it is found that cars with heavier front ends, typical of most front mounted, front wheel drive vehicles produce more under steer in a turn, whereas a vehicle with a heavier rear end (rear mounted, rear wheel drive)would produce more over steer.

Ultimately one would want all the weight in the center of the vehicle at the lowest point possible, but it's kind of hard to fit a battery underneath the center console!

Quick Reply: Can you really get more power out of a TL-S?