3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Filter Replacement Mod... 3G Garage #F-130

Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Dremel with a cutting disk works like a charm. It will kinda melt the edge but you can just snap that off. Very clean cut. I completely removed the bracket to do the cutting. I didn't want a mess in the car.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
TY!
One could probably use a rotozip type of bit to make it easier to maneuver in that tight space! I will probably opt to take the panel out since it doesn't have to be changed that often!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can i do this in my 99TL

this "mod" sounds like a really good idea... I have a 99 TL and i wonder is it the same set up ... can I do this to my TL?

(my ac blower stopped working yesterday... im having it checked out today...thats what lead me here)
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 AM
6th Gear

Smile cabin air filter mod

Only thing I can add to what has been said is that I used a Dremel Multitool with a drywall (semi circular) blade. Left a nice clean edge. Cut a small hole first to get an idea where I needed to cut, then just went at it. Wasn't able to save a connecting piece of plastic on the far right side as I wouldn't have been able to remove the filter assembly. That didn't seem to make a difference though as there were no rattles after reassembly. Going to make the filter replacement a whole lot easier in the future. Thanks to those who started this thread and provided all the pictures - gave me the confidence to take this mod on.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:26 AM

Wow...haven't seen this one in a while! Glad to see people are still using it. I have to say it wasn't that hard to get the panel out altogether. The more familiar I become with the car and taking things apart on it the more I wonder why I tried to find simpler workarounds. But hey...if it works for you!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
5th Gear

It works...

renewed interest in the mod.. I guess will put my experience in.

I did this mod in the fall of last year.. It's pretty much as described by all the previous posts. gotta pull pretty hard on the glove box insert to get it out once you take the screws and retaining pins out. I think I scratched my hand a little getting it out, so be careful with that.

I cut the access hole with a dremel using the regular cutting disk. The drywall cutting tool is probably a better idea as I had some jagged edges to clean up afterward. I wouldn't go buy one specifically for this though. The cutting disk really melts the plastic more than cutting it. You can pretty much break off the jagged edges by hand.

That being said it's really about function over form when it comes to cutting the hole. You won't be able to see it once the glove box is reinstalled. I can't see any reason not to have an access hole in the panel.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM

I guess because of how infrequently I do it I figured I didn't want to bother cutting anything. But maybe it is a good idea if you keep the car long term and are good about changing stuff like this.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:22 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the pics KJ. Dremeled mine out as well. Took a half hour. Now I can change the F filter in 30 seconds. Now if someone can let me know if they solved the right front noise when they wheel is about to stop and when it first starts to roll I'LL be 100% fixed up.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the write up on how to do this. sucks to cut the dash but cant see it anyways.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Lenny

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Fantastic mod! I used Dremel with disc and did it in 15 mins. I love this forum; so many great ideas. Thanks guys!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM
7th Gear

Could you send me some pictures?
I'd like to do this and pictures would be very helpful!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
from another thread
Originally Posted by A SiQ TL

IF you don't have the clips on the inside of your glove box, you simply push in on the sides until the tab clears.

To remove this hook, just push on it where the grooved notch is.

Something I didn't see mentioned is to remove these 2 screws ( if you have them) to get the back panel off.

Here are the clips that are holding the back panel on. Someone said to remove these horizontally, I thought that meant start on the far right of the back piece and work horizontally across. I think it makes more sense to say they come straight out towards you.

Here is what they pop into

This is everything put back together after cutting the access hole. Here the filter is hanging out.

Here it is pushed in and easily removable

And the finished product

Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM
5th Gear

I actually went into the stealership for service the other day. The customer rep brought my filter and bracket into the waiting area to show me that it needed to be changed. Wanted to charge me $90 to do it. He also wanted to let me know that my glove box assembly was broken (referring to the hole that I cut). I told him that I cut that hole so that he wouldn't charge me $90 for a new filter.

At least they looked at the filter. One of the dealerships I took the car to told me that I needed a new cabin filter. It was impossible that they looked at it. I had changed it the weekend before.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Advanced

For all you guys that cut that hole I searched on youtube for about 30 minutes but im sure it was well worth my time and i changed my cabin filter without cutting the whole. and probably took me 5-10 minutes quicker theny ou guys cutting the whole, here are the 2 videos part 1 and part 2 of the dissassembly, hope this helps out alot of you.

Basically take the 2 side clips out so glove box hangs, then 2 phillips screws to unscrew the glove box on the sides, remove it completely and the rest of the panels are just on clips, watch the videos and you'll understand.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDY4Q...os=BSIi5jms-9E

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNIv6...os=BTd-P4bBOgE

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 08-08-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 10-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

But you won't do it 5-10 minutes quicker next time. It literally took me about 30 seconds to replace my filter since I had previously cut a hole.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM
OREO

any links to purchase the cabin filter?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

good job KJ..
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Advanced

but why cut something up when you simply dont need to, and since everything is on clips.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was at the stealership today these clowns said I need a new engine filter and cabin filter and said $170.... yeah OK!!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Just a thought for those out there that have done this mod. You can go to Home Depot and buy some tubing (I'm not sure this is the best way to describe it) that you can fit around the edges of the hole. This will help clean up the look, and maybe even make it look more factory. You might not care how it looks, but when I considered doing this mod I didn't like the idea of hacking into my car for when I wanted to sell in the future. But if I could clean it up enough I would consider it.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsonkimz
Just a thought for those out there that have done this mod. You can go to Home Depot and buy some tubing (I'm not sure this is the best way to describe it) that you can fit around the edges of the hole. This will help clean up the look, and maybe even make it look more factory. You might not care how it looks, but when I considered doing this mod I didn't like the idea of hacking into my car for when I wanted to sell in the future. But if I could clean it up enough I would consider it.
I get what your saying but who honestly removes the glovebox to see what is behind it when buying a car? I actually just did the mod today took all of 5 minutes. The dealer wanted to charge me $170 to change my engine filter and cabin filter .... When both can be done myslef now in under 10 minutes and saving over $140!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
10th Gear

Hoping that my 08 might be easier to remove but I'll see tonight. I might just take apart one time and if it's too much effort then I'll try this MOD. Thanks all.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
This is a great mod and I did it the first time I changed the filter (since you have to take the panel out anyway). It took an extra 20 minutes cutting the hole and insuring it is correct and then a little trimming the next time I changed my filter.

Now life is great and I can check the filter and see just how dirty it gets. In my area, I'll vacuum one time after 6 months (it was pretty dirty but not black) and then replace the next 6 months. I would never do that without the mod. The only way to see the 'hole' is after you unlatch the glovebox, so it's no eyesore.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
This is a PITA job. It was the first time I did and it still is. Perhaps the worse designed component on the 3G TL... you have to wonder what the engineers were thinking with this one. It just makes zero sense.

I have put off and put off doing the cut in the rear of the housing to expose the filter drawer, but I swear one day I'm just going to do it in both of my 3G TL's and to hell with screwing around removing the crap you have to remove for something as basic as a cabin filter change (the engine air filter is not walk in the park either).

Curiously enough, when I did my first change about a year after I bought my '04, I was talking to a tech at the dealership and he told me that when they got a TL in for this work for the first time, they cut the rear of the housing out themselves so that the next time, the replacement was simple and took almost no time and no labor. I wondered if they still charged for the allotted book time for this job after they had done this.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
This is a PITA job. It was the first time I did and it still is. Perhaps the worse designed component on the 3G TL... you have to wonder what the engineers were thinking with this one. It just makes zero sense.

I have put off and put off doing the cut in the rear of the housing to expose the filter drawer, but I swear one day I'm just going to do it in both of my 3G TL's and to hell with screwing around removing the crap you have to remove for something as basic as a cabin filter change (the engine air filter is not walk in the park either).

Curiously enough, when I did my first change about a year after I bought my '04, I was talking to a tech at the dealership and he told me that when they got a TL in for this work for the first time, they cut the rear of the housing out themselves so that the next time, the replacement was simple and took almost no time and no labor. I wondered if they still charged for the allotted book time for this job after they had done this.
I didn't find the job terribly hard, but it was infinitely harder than it needed to be. I agree that it was a HUGE oversight be the engineers. Unless it is truly a ploy to suck extra money out of customers. In which case it's just stupid and dishonest. More than the time that it takes to do, I worry about the wear and tear on parts from having to take everything apart every time I change the filter. I'm afraid that either something is going to break and come loose and then I'm going to have even more rattles (which I'm not sure is even possible).

I would do this mod the next time I open her up but I don't own a dremel and I don't know of another way to do it. I'm a perfectionist so I don't like to halfass things and I want it done right. But it's very tempting to do. I need to replace my engine air filter soon too. When I get my next oil change I'll be doing the 3rd and 4th gear sensors, tranny fluid, break pads and rotors, and now the engine filter as well probably. My list keeps growing. I would like to do them all myself but I don't have a good place to do the work. Hopefully the price will be decent. Luckily I trust my mechanic but I would still prefer to do it myself.

So they actually did this mod to a TL? Interesting. I would wonder what they charged as well! It wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by jsonkimz; 01-13-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mista
I get what your saying but who honestly removes the glovebox to see what is behind it when buying a car? I actually just did the mod today took all of 5 minutes. The dealer wanted to charge me $170 to change my engine filter and cabin filter .... When both can be done myslef now in under 10 minutes and saving over $140!!!!
No one would look, but if I was buying a car used I would appreciate the owner telling me about anything and everything that the modified on the car. So if I end up doing this mod, I will do the tubing to clean it up and tell the next buyer about it. Like I said, if it were me I would appreciate the honesty. Plus, it would make life easier for the owner and demonstrate that I care about maintenance and took care of the car.

Yeah, it's unbelievable to me that the dealer willingly wants to rape you on charges like that when the job is so easily and quickly done even WITHOUT the mod. It's ridiculous.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jsonkimz
I didn't find the job terribly hard, but it was infinitely harder than it needed to be. I agree that it was a HUGE oversight be the engineers. Unless it is truly a ploy to suck extra money out of customers. In which case it's just stupid and dishonest. More than the time that it takes to do, I worry about the wear and tear on parts from having to take everything apart every time I change the filter. I'm afraid that either something is going to break and come loose and then I'm going to have even more rattles (which I'm not sure is even possible).

I would do this mod the next time I open her up but I don't own a dremel and I don't know of another way to do it. I'm a perfectionist so I don't like to halfass things and I want it done right. But it's very tempting to do. I need to replace my engine air filter soon too. When I get my next oil change I'll be doing the 3rd and 4th gear sensors, tranny fluid, break pads and rotors, and now the engine filter as well probably. My list keeps growing. I would like to do them all myself but I don't have a good place to do the work. Hopefully the price will be decent. Luckily I trust my mechanic but I would still prefer to do it myself.

So they actually did this mod to a TL? Interesting. I would wonder what they charged as well! It wouldn't surprise me.
Yeah, it's not that it's such a hard of difficult job, it's just a really PITA and what makes it even worse for me is that here we have the nice piece of machinery with a really horrible cabin filter design for replacement. And like you, I'm sure that the periodic replacing of this filter can't be easy on the components since it feels like you're ripping part of the dash apart... which basically, you are.

My wife has a Dremel. Maybe I should root around and find the best pieces to use for it to do this the next time around.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
A dremel works pretty well. I found a sharp razor knife will also get the job done- I used that to do some additional trimming the first time I took advantage of the mod. I had a clearance issue on the right side since that edge is a little thin on material and I wanted to preserve as much as possible.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Yeah, it's not that it's such a hard of difficult job, it's just a really PITA and what makes it even worse for me is that here we have the nice piece of machinery with a really horrible cabin filter design for replacement. And like you, I'm sure that the periodic replacing of this filter can't be easy on the components since it feels like you're ripping part of the dash apart... which basically, you are.

My wife has a Dremel. Maybe I should root around and find the best pieces to use for it to do this the next time around.
Yeah, exactly. The more I think about it the more sense it makes to just do the mod. I've only taken my glovebox apart once and I already feel like it was one time too many. So much undue stress on parts that are too easily breakable. If I recall, I broke one of the clips the first time I did it.

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
A dremel works pretty well. I found a sharp razor knife will also get the job done- I used that to do some additional trimming the first time I took advantage of the mod. I had a clearance issue on the right side since that edge is a little thin on material and I wanted to preserve as much as possible.
It looks like I may be attempting the razor knife route since I don't have access to a dremel. I'm still a few months away from needing to replace my filter so I'll report back when/if I do the mod to let everyone know how it went.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
5th Gear

FRAM Fresh Breeze

Originally Posted by NYC04TL
I purchased the FRAM CF10134 Fresh Breeze for $18.94. I did have a problem following the various threads with instructions/pictures because I didn't have the two push-pins at the top (2004). Rather, once I removed the glovebox I started pulling the liner out slowly on the corners and the spring clips released.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did mine and I broke 4 clips off the panel.
Now it is real easy to remove.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Wow, such negativity (repetitious in some cases) out of a few above... :-)

As with any vehicle mod, it comes down to personal preference. You either want to do it or you don't - as simple as that. Their are numerous mods mentioned that I wouldn't think of doing to a vehicle, but I see no reason to post in those threads due to my "confused or frustrated" thoughts.. Too funny.

Making an access hole is "completely" logical and something Acura should have done to begin with. So why all the fuss...

As mentioned when this thread began - and it still stands today:

"--
So if your thinking about changing your cabin filter but figured it was too much work,,, this mod may sound a little unorthodox but not only can it not be seen when complete, structurally its sound and it makes changing the filter a snap."

I've changed my CF 4 times now (soon to be 5), and other than the first 30 min mod, it takes me less than 30 seconds. The time isn't really the issue, it's the "not" having to remove "anything" that makes it nice, and smart. But like I mentioned, that's just my opinion of a mod that I have actually performed due to "personally" knowing it was a good idea.... I'm just glad TBone2004 thought of it and brought it to this forums attention.

True story:

About 4 months ago I was sitting in the guest area of my Acura dealership waiting for them to complete the wiper and PS hose TSB on my 04TL. Their was a gentleman sitting next to me who had his now 1yr old TL in for an oil change and other warranty concerns. His service advisor came out and proceeded to talk him into changing his CF at the tune of $160+. The advisor also stated it was a 1hr job.....

I literally "had" to speak up... Stated it was a $10-20 filter depending where purchased and a 20 min job..... The advisor was pissed, the gentleman replied: "Actually, no thanks". I felt I had done my deed for that day. :-)
We then had a conversation the next 20 min until my car was complete. I'm sure that gentleman is now driving around with this mod complete.

Cheers
The service "advisor" probably peed in your gas tank after that
Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
You are correct, the recirculate air "intake is directly above the filter housing. I can't imagine cutting the access hole would have any effect or difference for that matter on the recirculating air. Behind the panel that is cut it is not a sealed off area etc.. Having the glove box shut would also limit the amount of air flow through the access hole.

**Good thinking though.

That idea did not cross my mind - but due to the "openness" within the dash area where the recirculate intake is, I can't imagine it would cause any differences in heater/AC operation/effectiveness. If it does prove to be an issue, I will fabricate the appropriate cover.

Now, if you decided to store a dead rodent or dirty diaper in your glove box,,,, you may have an issue. :-)

Cheers
Even if that was a concern you can tape the portion that was cut out in place. Which is what I will do if I decide to purchase a dremel tool.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
the 4G TL is a joke to replace the filter! wow.. they finally learned. why do our 3G TL's have to be so complicated!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hH6...eature=related
Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^ROFL!

Honda probably saw this thread and said "damn those shiwwly americans!"
Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NYC04TL
Try here:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by deepen03
the 4G TL is a joke to replace the filter! wow.. they finally learned. why do our 3G TL's have to be so complicated!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hH6...eature=related
It's good to see they finally got it right.....
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Wow, look at that. Acura cut an access hole.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a great mod and i plan on doong i this weekend thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

I did this mod with an oscillating multi-tool. It was very easy. With the plunge cutter that I used, I didn't have to cut all the way to the right as shown in the first set of photos above -- I just cut out a notch where the filter is a little wider on the right. Thus, I have no gap in the plastic at the top right.

I'm about 45k, and I hadn't changed my air filter before because the dealer was going to charge $300+ for it. This mod is quick and makes the filter change a 3 minute activity with no tools.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabin Filter Replacement Mod... 3G Garage #F-130