Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 07 Type-S next week, need yours input

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 07 Type-S next week, need yours input

Gang, I found and test drove a 07 Type-S Carbon Bronze, 34,821 miles asking price $22,500, independent dealer (non acura). I haggled down the price to $21,500. The carfax check was clean (although I dont trust that report 100%). And the car looks very clean, with some minor paint scuffs and two of the rims have signs of curb scratches, but nothing major.

Although I think it is a good price and I will still have 15,179 miles of dealer warranty (50k or 4 years bumper to bumper), there were a couple of things that bugged me about the car. One, the right mirror was not working (would not move up/down/left/right), the driver mirror was ok. Also, in the driver's seat, the reclining button will only make the seat go forward but not backwards; there was one signal light (real left) that was blinking faster than the rear right. The guy told me that everything is still under Acura manufaturer warranty and that he will take the car on Monday to the dealer to fix those minors things. But my question is, why wouldn't they fix those things before selling the car, it just raises suspitions, or you guys think that I am over-reacting?

I will of course take the car to the dealer to have it inspect it by the tech, since I just found out here that someone did that and they only charged him $95. That is totally worthy.

And last question, a friend of mine put some fear in my head because he said that those types of independent dealers know how to roll back the odometers without the real Acura dealers being able to detect that....is that possible with todays technology to fool the dealers???

I really loved this car today, but I dont want my emotions to make me make a stupid decision. All inputs are welcome.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Racer

See if the Acura dealer will fix all these issues under warranty and more importantly talk to them about causes. I have not heard of these type problems but it sounds electrical. Could this car have been flooded. Where are you located or better yet, where was the car originally titled and was it one owner? Electrical problems, which you have identifed 3 areas would concern me a lot. I would go out on a limb and say possible water has been involved with this vehicle. I would continue to look. An independent dealer will try to sell a car as is first. You called them out on the problems. Did they act "surprised" or did it appear as a more "fake surprised"?

That's a good price but also a lot of miles on an '07. I just picked up an '07 Type S with 17k miles. I paid in the $27k range though but when I sell in a few years I will find many more buyers b/c my mileage will be under 50k.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if they car was in an accident with NO police report and went to a friend at a body shop there will be NO reporting to car fax. and i know this because i have done this several times. also the only places that report mileage to carfax is the dealers. what is the mileage on carfax and what is the date? do the math see how many miles he averaged.

but honestly, i would pass. there is way to many problems with the vehicle. it will cost u $$$$ to fix all of it if it isnt covered.

just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Trust your gut.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered abuser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^ I am with him...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly, it sounds REALLY shady. Another car will come along.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Advanced

additional info. again inputs welcome

Thanks guys for your input. Thats why I love this forum. You all raised some pretty good points. Here is what Carfax indicates in terms of owners:

2 Owners

1st Owner: purchased 8/16/07 with 8 miles in New Rochelle NY
2nd Owner: Purchased at a auto auction on 02/22/08 with 2,704 - Sold at auction in NY listed as a fleet vehicle

The third transaction does not list an owner but indicates the following: 03/04/2008 Miles 2,814 Title issued or updated. Registration issued or renewed. New owner reported registered as personal vehicle. Passed safety inspection.

When I mentioned those items to the dealer, they looked sincerely surprised (although you can never trust used car sales men!) and they've told me that they buy many cars in auctions and sometimes "little" things like that are not caught on time before they put the car on display. They had aprox 50 cars in their lot ranging from late models BMW, Jags, Audis, Mercedez, Acuras and Cadillacs. He did indicate that since the car is under original manufacturer warranty, he will take the car to Paragon Acura in Queens NY to fix the seat, mirror and blinker. He also welcome me to bring the car to Acura for a through inspection.

I will problably average bet 7k to 8k miles per year (have second commuter car), and this will be my little toy. So, I figure that I would have aprox 2 more years of bumper to bumper manuf warranty. Interesting though, in doing the math, I did notice that the car was indeed driven quite a bit. In 1 year and 4 months, it averaged 2,176 miles per month, or annualized 26,116 per year. I am planning to keep whatever car I get for more than 5 or 7 years.

Well gang, fire away, I want to hear more from you as my gut feeling tell me that it is indeed a high mileage car but that its in great shape (when they also fix those things) and at that price, I probably can have the car inspected by the dealer to get a third sets of eyes. But then again, some times our gut feeling lead us to make silly decisions, and thats is why is great to hear from fellow Acurazines.

Originally Posted by Cecilt
See if the Acura dealer will fix all these issues under warranty and more importantly talk to them about causes. I have not heard of these type problems but it sounds electrical. Could this car have been flooded. Where are you located or better yet, where was the car originally titled and was it one owner? Electrical problems, which you have identifed 3 areas would concern me a lot. I would go out on a limb and say possible water has been involved with this vehicle. I would continue to look. An independent dealer will try to sell a car as is first. You called them out on the problems. Did they act "surprised" or did it appear as a more "fake surprised"?

That's a good price but also a lot of miles on an '07. I just picked up an '07 Type S with 17k miles. I paid in the $27k range though but when I sell in a few years I will find many more buyers b/c my mileage will be under 50k.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Advanced

quick update, in checking with car fax and one of my friends told me that when car fax indicates "Fleet car" is because it was either sold to a car rental company (this might be problably the case due to the high mileage) or a company buys them to have an employee use it. The last transaction in carfax where it shows "sold at auction as fleet car" says West Babylon NY. So maybe a car rental co in NY bought it to use it as a rental. I have to admit, that I've never seen a Type-S as a car rental??????
Old 12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
B A N N E D

This car sounds like it has some serious electrical problems. If I were you, I would STAY AWAY. These problems are not normal to this car and especially this forum. Bro, I guarantee you that you will encounter more problems with this car down the line. I'm thinking flood damage.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered abuser

Actually fleet car can mean company car. Meaning it was registered to a company instead of an individual.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rjorge3

The third transaction does not list an owner but indicates the following: 03/04/2008 Miles 2,814

Interesting though, in doing the math, I did notice that the car was indeed driven quite a bit. In 1 year and 4 months, it averaged 2,176 miles per month, or annualized 26,116 per year.
Since you're doing the math, consider this: Between 3/4/08 and 12/4/08 there were 32,007 (34821-2814) miles put on this car in just nine months. That's an average of over 3,500 miles per month. That's a ton of driving.

Personally, I'd stay away. I think you can find something that hasn't been beaten up so much, and not costing too much more.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
If the selling dealership is taking it to Paragon for warranty repairs, I would be skeptical of Paragon's work based on what I have read about Paragon's service dept on AZ.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

The price is too good to pass up but at the same time you don't know what problems you might encounter down the road.

Concerning the mirror that didn't work. Did you move the switch to the right to control the mirror?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
I think u can find a much better deal then that. My dad found a 08 base TL with 90 miles on it for 27,000 at the dealership. He was trying to get it for 25k since they are trying to clear out the 08 inventory for the new 09
Old 12-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Cruisin'

I saw that vehicle, it's on Steinway next to PC Richard&Son right? I was skeptical too about the car because of the mileage it picked up in only 7 months. The owner told me the guy was a real-estate agent in Long Island and travelled a lot. But still, 32k miles in only 7 months? And if it is the same car we are talking about, check out the carpeting in the back seats they are really stained and dingy, and the trunk smells putrid. Good luck if the car turns out great, it's certainly a beauty.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:51 PM
7th Gear

That combined with the electrical issues smells, pun intended, like a flood.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Nismo TL yo!

have it professionaly inspected at the acura dealer for 95 bucks or whatever it is. Well worth the peace of mind. The price seems fishy from the get-go, but maybe theres nothing wrong with it?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
21K for a 07 TL type S??? that sounds waaaaay toooo good to be true, and it probably IS, so dont do it!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM
:)

Originally Posted by HONgDA
The price is too good to pass up but at the same time you don't know what problems you might encounter down the road.

Concerning the mirror that didn't work. Did you move the switch to the right to control the mirror?
totally agree
Old 12-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wall e
21K for a 07 TL type S??? that sounds waaaaay toooo good to be true, and it probably IS, so dont do it!
werd, i'd def approach with caution
Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Take it to a dealer and make sure you get it in writing that the car checks out ok. I have a feeling something is shady with this car. I drive 65k a year so it is possible to put that many miles in 7 months. I lived in NY and know that is hard to put that many miles in that area. Please let us know what happens.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mmade22
Take it to a dealer and make sure you get it in writing that the car checks out ok. I have a feeling something is shady with this car. I drive 65k a year so it is possible to put that many miles in 7 months. I lived in NY and know that is hard to put that many miles in that area. Please let us know what happens.
LOL WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS? Maybe in NYC, but DEFINITELY not on Long Island. On Long Island the public transportation SUCKS, so you NEED to drive everywhere. i put 4k miles on my car in 3 months.

Anyway, if you do go with the car, buy an extended warranty from a 3rd party, NOT from the place you are buying it from. Search google.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Oh god dont take it to paragon, i have heard many many many stories about how the butch cars. Take it to Rallye in Roslyn(i am assuming the dealer is in queens), it is alittle further but MUCH MUCH higher rated compared to Paragon.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:43 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
LOL WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS? Maybe in NYC, but DEFINITELY not on Long Island. On Long Island the public transportation SUCKS, so you NEED to drive everywhere. i put 4k miles on my car in 3 months.

Anyway, if you do go with the car, buy an extended warranty from a 3rd party, NOT from the place you are buying it from. Search google.

Yeah I know Long Island is a tuff place to drive. I grew up in Babylon. I drove into NJ, Mass, PA, CT, Etc. It's a car so even though it was registered in NY doesn't mean the car was on road trips everyday.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
Oh god dont take it to paragon, i have heard many many many stories about how the butch cars. Take it to Rallye in Roslyn(i am assuming the dealer is in queens), it is alittle further but MUCH MUCH higher rated compared to Paragon.
When i got my TL Type-S from Metro Acura in philadelphia, the rear speaker was loose and I was told by them it would take a whole day to fix. Took it to Rallye Acura in Roslyn fixed it in under an hour. On my receipt it showed time to finish was 50 mins.

To OP: take it to Rallye Acura they know their stuff and have won many Acura Precision Team awards.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced

NYCWhiteDiamond yes, that is it! I did noticed the carpeting, but that is something that I have been noticing in many 07s that I've seen. Nothing that a good detailing will not take care of. And as far as Paragon Acura, I am aware that they are the shaddiest of the dealers so I will not even think about getting my inspection there. I would try Rosylyn as suggested here. The funny thing is that I have test driven 5 type-s including one in Open Acura of New Brunswick and some of them although they were so clean inside and out, the suspensions had some weird noise, but when I test drove this one, the suspension was nice and tight and the car drove far more superior that some others...what give??? As far as the mileage, I work in sales too and I put between 30 to 35k a year in my commuter car(1994 toyota celica workhorse-most reliable car ever built :>).

Honga, I did move the switch to all the way to the right, but the right mirror did not move. I am scheduled to test drive another one at a acura dealer this Tuesday, but they are asking $27,000 ouch!!! and it has 20k miles.

Gang, thanks again, I will see if they guy keeps his word and calls me by Wed or Thrusd to let me know that those things were repaired by the dealer, but by listening to you guys, I am almost 95% certain that I will keep my options open and not go with the car.

This one will be another one that I will see, luckyly for me I will be traveling north of CT, but for some reason it does seem too low of price and mileage, but it does come from an Acura dealer.....I am so freaking confused

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=164

Originally Posted by NYCWhiteDiamond
I saw that vehicle, it's on Steinway next to PC Richard&Son right? I was skeptical too about the car because of the mileage it picked up in only 7 months. The owner told me the guy was a real-estate agent in Long Island and travelled a lot. But still, 32k miles in only 7 months? And if it is the same car we are talking about, check out the carpeting in the back seats they are really stained and dingy, and the trunk smells putrid. Good luck if the car turns out great, it's certainly a beauty.