3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy certified pre owned or not to buy...

Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy certified pre owned or not to buy...

So, that's the question I am faced with. I am trading in an RX-8 and am trying to figure out what you guys think would be a better deal. Should I buy an 04/05 CPO or an 05/06 non-CPO and just buy the extended warranty down the road. Also, from what I've heard, the CPOs don't cover things like the navi, however the platinum extended warranty does. What do you all think is the best option here? Also, I'm new here, so hello!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CPO is the way to go. You pay a little more up front but at least in my case, it's piece of mind. My 04 is a CPO and the brakes were good all the way around, brandnew tires, it was just about the same as buying a Brandnew car. If they wont certify an 05 or 06 then that car has some issues or very high mileage ,unless it has aftermarket rims which they will not certify a car with aftermarket rims. If you buy a noncertified car, just check it out well, and get a Carfax.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 AM
Instructor

Buying a CPO is great just for the peace of mind. Although I've seen some posts in here that says they still had issues even if it was a CPO. Go do a search in this forum and you'll find a lot of info.

I personally bought a non-CPO from a non Acura dealer. I test drove the car and inspected it myself. I was back and forth at the dealer several times. I'm not a mechanic or anything, just an experienced buyer. If you're going this route make sure you check everything from top to bottom.

1. Make sure every piece of electronics/electrical is working.
2. Visually inspect the engine top to bottom for leaks.
3. When you're driving the vehicle check for brakes, acceleration and the way it handles.

I knew when I bought the car that it has issues with certain things but these are minor that I was able to resolve them myself such as:

1. Rough idling
2. Poor acceleration
3. When breaking the car tends to pull to the right side
4. etc. etc.

Be sure to negotiate these things you find with the dealer and tell them that you would like a lower price since you need to get them fixed. The dealer was shaking his head when I did this but he couldn't argue so I was able to save a few thousand right there.

Now the car runs great. I just need to get a new set of wheels since winter is around the corner. A-spec wheels here I come!

If you're not handy then just go with a CPO.

Good Luck Bro.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamingo@gmail.com
Should I buy an 04/05 CPO or an 05/06 non-CPO and just buy the extended warranty down the road. Also, from what I've heard, the CPOs don't cover things like the navi, however the platinum extended warranty does. What do you all think is the best option here? Also, I'm new here, so hello!
Well, buy a CPO car and then purchased the extended Acura warranty from the dealer and have the best of both worlds.
The CPO will give you bumper to bumper coverage up to 62,000 miles and powertrain coverage to 100K. The extended warranty @ $900 will give you bumper to bumper coverage, road side assistance, etc, to 100K.

Been around cars my entire life, and no matter how careful one might be at the time of purchase, there is no guarantee an electronic component might not fail in the future. It also is an added selling point when you decide to sell or trade in the car if it still has under 100k.

Guess you had enough of the rotary!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 PM
4th Gear

Thanks very much! I have a question now about prices, I know forum etiquette so I'm not going to create 8 different threads for 8 different minute questions. Anywho, what type of price range should I be looking for on a 2005 TL with Nav and about 30k-40k miles. Mind you that these would be Certified Pre-Owned. I've been getting some conflicting reports from dealers who we all know don't like to tell the truth . I've seen them from the high 24s to the low 26s. I'm just wondering what you all believe would be a good price to try to negotiate down to. Thanks! And in reply to Turbonut, yes, it's funny because the RX-8 is 1.3 litre engine, yet it gets worse gas mileage than the TL! So yes, I am tired of the rotary...
Old 09-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=Shamingo@gmail.com] Anywho, what type of price range should I be looking for on a 2005 TL with Nav and about 30k-40k miles. Mind you that these would be Certified Pre-Owned. I've been getting some conflicting reports from dealers who we all know don't like to tell the truth . I've seen them from the high 24s to the low 26s. I'm just wondering what you all believe would be a good price to try to negotiate down to.[/QUOTE}

Take a look on the acura.com site as it lists the Certified cars in specific area via zip code.

If you find one on a dealer’s lot that isn’t certified, you can barter with them to sell it as certified, as it does cost the dealer additional money. Mine wasn’t certified, but got the price I wanted, then asked them to sell it certified and I’d buy the extra warranty. They concurred and sold it to me for the same price………after some debate.

Originally Posted by Shamingo@gmail.com
And in reply to Turbonut, yes, it's funny because the RX-8 is 1.3 litre engine, yet it gets worse gas mileage than the TL! So yes, I am tired of the rotary...
They're a fabtastic "little" engine. I purcagsed a '89 RX7 Turbo II new and still have the car. Just about completely stock, except for the G-Force ecu upgrade that upped the boost to 12lbs. Car runs like a bull and still looks like new. Only in the rain once back in 1992, never since. Have had many offers on the car, but am still hanging on. Beautiful day here in Jersey, so it's going to get a workout. Only 24,000 miles since 2000.

Good luck on the TL purchase as you'll certainly enjoy the car. In some respects it reminds me of the handling of the Mazda, stiff suspension, decent ride with the 245 S.4's, great steering, fantastic mileage, decent acceleration, and great eye appeal. Actually a wonderful package.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Screwed up that quote:

Take a look on the acura.com site as it lists the Certified cars in specific area via zip code.