Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Side Mouldings - Yes or No ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Side Mouldings - Yes or No ???

I bought my TL last night and when I did so the "Business Manager" had gone home already. He calls me @ work today and tires to sell me a bunch of overpriced bolt on crap. Uhhh ......... no. One thing he did mention though got me thinking - body side moudlings. What's everyone's opinion's on them.

Here's where I'm at on them:

PRO: saves the door panel from door dings and door edge scrapes in parking lots

CONS: Dealer wants ~ C$700 for a pair installed
I like the "clean" look of the car without them

Should I cave and go for them or not - what's your experience been? TIA
Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Not a fan of the side moldings, I'd have a hard time keeping them on if they were for free. Don't do it, especially for $700, that would be a good chunk down on a A-spec aero kit from www.hondacuraworld.com when he's doing a group buy.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Not fond of them . . . just my opinion. And if you don't want door dings, just park away from everyone like we all do. Congrats on the purchase BTW. Read your other thread regarding your decision.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not again! There are a number of threads dealing with BSM's. Those were designed for a purpose and whether or not it serves that purpose, remains to be determined. Believe it or not, there are a number of folks who have them say they look good and will swear by them. On the other hand, you have those that will not have anything to do with it. No matter where you park, some idiot who doesn't care about your personal property will always find a way to park next to you. Again, a number of folks will attest to this. Here are some threads you can read.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76018
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126751
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108303
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/how-hard-get-someones-yahoo-password-116992/

Bottom line, it comes down to a personal choice - you either like 'em or you hate 'em.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:14 PM
8th Gear

Not a big fan of the BSMs at all. Anyway, for $700, that's 5-7 visits to a dent repair shop.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
That's kind of a lot of money when you can get them for $136.50 at Hondacuraworld.

I know that's in US dollars, but that's still a big difference and they are very easy to install yourself.

Does your dealer have a license to steal?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
That's kind of a lot of money when you can get them for $136.50 at Hondacuraworld.

I know that's in US dollars, but that's still a big difference and they are very easy to install yourself.

Does your dealer have a license to steal?
You'd think so wouldn't ya lol! Funny thing is he gave me a great deal on the car itself and the extended warranty versus the two other dealers I was working with. Guess that's where he makes his money. Thanks for pointin' me toward that site ..... must ....... hide ........ visa card .
Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

Nooooooooooooooooo
Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh, heck no!!! I would rather deal with the dent repair guy than the unsightly look of those bumper rails.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

I have the BSM. Rather not, but as I park farther away from my intended retail store some moron in a '78 Cadillac with rust through spots, 2 laundry baskets full of laundry, year old Burger King bags all over the floor, no rear bumper, and a rear window covered with "I stop for tag sales" stickers, some how parks close enough to me that I can bearly open my door to get into my TL. I then am very happy that I got my BSM, because even if I were to take a hammer to that car, the owner wouldn't notice.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Instructor

No
Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 AM
FOR SALE - BM

please don't do that to your poor car... it will hate you...
Old 02-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by joed40
I have the BSM. Rather not, but as I park farther away from my intended retail store some moron in a '78 Cadillac with rust through spots, 2 laundry baskets full of laundry, year old Burger King bags all over the floor, no rear bumper, and a rear window covered with "I stop for tag sales" stickers, some how parks close enough to me that I can bearly open my door to get into my TL. I then am very happy that I got my BSM, because even if I were to take a hammer to that car, the owner wouldn't notice.

HAR HAR! I can piture that Cadillac perfectly. Well said.

But BSM........No. They are just too unsightly on the TL.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

Even though I try to park far away from everyone else, some idiot will find a way to park right next to me. Considering the (non-self park) garage my TL lives in, I have no alternative. My bumpers (especially the rear), door edges, fender well edges, are custom 3M paint filmed and moulded to the max! In fact, I have a double layer of 1" wide 3M paint film installed on my BSMs and a 6" wide 3M paint film installed along my doors above the BSMs. May all sound crazy, but if you saw the condition of my ex-Accord .........

It amazes me how many 3G TL's I see littered with door dings, fender well edge dents, and 'cratered' rear bumpers. Those of you live in NYC understand exactly what I mean. Both dealers I do business with are highly impressed with and very respectful of the level of protection work I have.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
BSM's? No. I had them on my old car (standard...part of the car's design)...and guess what? The BSM's got dinged and scratched...looked just as bad as if a plain door panel got dinged and scratched. And besides, they're hideous.

DMZ - that's sad you have to go to such extremes to keep your car ding free. Obviously you have to (heard lots of stories from NY-ers about how it is), and I applaud your effort, but I still find it sad that you have to do that. Hopefully, you will continue to have a ding free car.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Racer

... IMO the TL looks better without them...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:05 AM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Originally Posted by cullal
... IMO the TL looks better without them...
I agree, much better without!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:12 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BSM's are beautiful are they not....?

Yes - I'v had them for two years,,,, and believe it or not TL's without them look strange to me now... Of course i'm also one of those that never did like the ASPEC kit... 25 years ago maybe, just not now.

It's all just preference -- I say BSM's are an acquired taste :-)

If you do opt for them Boardman,
- Do like Ron A suggested and order off the internet and install yourself.. ~$145 w/shipping and all of 45 min to install. They come color matched with a template for proper installation.
-- You could always take them off at a later date if they truly disgust ya.

Long live the "Puffy Lumpers" :-)

Cheers
Old 02-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hell No, especially at that price. Try to find a paintless dent repair company near you.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

I bought them for $140. and put them on myself. Very easy, just go slow. I prefer the look, less slab sided and much more protected.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:59 PM
05 WDP 6MT

BSM's are USELESS!!!!!!! DONT DO IT!!!! Save your money....
Old 02-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Had a 04 for 26 months and 35,000 miles with bsm and no door dings. Have a 06 for less than two months and 1,500 miles no bsm and one door ding.
Conclusion: I like the look of bsm way more than the look of door dings.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I was afraid initially about installing BSMs as well. With them on, I feel more at ease when I am forced to park in a tight space. I agree with some that it's cheaper to replace the BSM then bring it to a body shop for ding repairs.

I agree that the TL looks better without them, but it doesn't look that bad with them on. It adds a piece of mind for me.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced

i disagree i think the tl looks better with them personally. i have them but it sure the hell wasnt for the purpose that of door dings. To each their own, i really like the look with the mouldings and the aspec kit but i see alot of people dont. When it comes down to it ur the one that has to be happy with ur car.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-16-2006, 05:32 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Okay, to end this silly debate all together. Here's a little clip of someone who has not realized the value of BSM.

http://www.dingdefender.com/DINGrage/
Old 02-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Advanced

nuff said
Old 02-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Tufferson
i disagree i think the tl looks better with them personally. i have them but it sure the hell wasnt for the purpose that of door dings. To each their own, i really like the look with the mouldings and the aspec kit but i see alot of people dont. When it comes down to it ur the one that has to be happy with ur car.
I generally agree with the sentiment, although I'm not sure why "ur" is mentioned—ancient Middle Eastern cities don't seem to have anything to do with the TL. Anyway, in my opinion the BSMs sort of balance out the groove that appears on all TLs. I have the BSMs, in part because of several places I park, and I've gotten some positive comments from TL owners who don't have them.

I think the proverbial bottom line here is that if you are uncertain, try going without them for a little while, then if you think you want them, add them later. Adding them later makes more sense than putting them on and then removing them simply because it's better not to do something that might leave a mark if you're not sure you want to do it.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Adding them later makes more sense than putting them on and then removing them simply because it's better not to do something that might leave a mark if you're not sure you want to do it.

Waiting to install could leave a mark too.. An unwanted door ding.

Like you mentioned, once you put them on you realize they look just fine.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2006, 09:28 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Okay, to end this silly debate all together. Here's a little clip of someone who has not realized the value of BSM.

One more reason to not bother with Acura's door edge trim, They're painted metal that chips just as easily. My custom 3M door edging is soft and pliable so that it's highly unlikely I'll damage someone else's car if I swing my door into them.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ

One more reason to not bother with Acura's door edge trim, They're painted metal that chips just as easily. My custom 3M door edging is soft and pliable so that it's highly unlikely I'll damage someone else's car if I swing my door into them.
Where did ya score the 3M door edge guard? Is it colorr matched to Acura colours or is it a generic "close is good enough" color match. Still debatin' on this one thanks for all the input. The vid is CLASSIC - saw it just after x-mas on another car forum I frequent lol!
Old 02-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
IMO on a stock TL they look fine. But if you hook it up with rims, A-spec kit, etc. it detracts from the overall look. I think you just need to get used to it, either way. I like the idea that if someone dings my BSM I can just pull it off. But if I were to do it again I probably wouldn't get them since they sit too low for most doors. My RSX sits next to my TL in the garage and the curvature of the RSX's door edge hits my TL way above the BSM.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Instructor

I think in my heart I'm know how tihs is gonna play out. I'm gonna run without them until my first ding, get it fixed, and THEN put the guards on. Hope that doesn't happen for like 4 years but .................... On the bright side my condo has extra wide spots and the chick who parks beside me drives an Echo - she could park 2 wide in her spot if she wants. At work, the guy on my right drives a new STS and the chick on my left drives a Z4 - they both care. When the G/F drives the TL ..... hmmmmm ... maybe those guards are good ider after all lol!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Boardman
Where did ya score the 3M door edge guard? Is it colorr matched to Acura colours or is it a generic "close is good enough" color match. Still debatin' on this one thanks for all the input. The vid is CLASSIC - saw it just after x-mas on another car forum I frequent lol!
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...77&postcount=5

Sorry, I don't have door edge pics, but they're black, pliable, and come on rolls like the bumper moulding in these pics. Pete custom cuts, bends, and heats to bend if necessary to create a custom factory looking fit. My door edge guard trim goes from the very top of the door's sheet metal just under the window to bottom edge AND along the entire horizontal door bottom edge for protection against scraping when parking next to a high curb.

There must be someone in your area who does this.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Instructor

nyc

It amazes me how many 3G TL's I see littered with door dings, fender well edge dents, and 'cratered' rear bumpers. Those of you live in NYC understand exactly what I mean. Both dealers I do business with are highly impressed with and very respectful of the level of protection work I have.

With those of us in nyc, who have to park our cars, in indoor malls, strip malls, valet serviced parking garages, parking in the street during the day, its almost a foregone conclusion your vehicle will get violated constantly.
The lack of respect people have is amazing. I see people parking their car, and slamming their doors open, and hitting the vehicles along side of them, even when there are people in the car, and they dont give a damn. . And the parents who let their kids do it is even more amazing.
I have gone back to the system, of driving my old toyota camry to work, and driving my m35x for pleasure, when I can control where it is being parked.
I mean, if people wouldnt think me crazy, I would actually put a tarp over the car, when I parked it at a mall or while going for a haircut, etc. LOL

Stay safe
Old 02-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

flatfoot, good to hear from ya! How you doin and how's the m35 treatin ya? As you can see, the old BSM debate is on again. Don't be a stranger!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Yuck. Fugly....and they make waxing the doors more of a pain.

You have an 06 5AT? Put that same cash toward a comptech rear sway bar and some nice aftermarket springs/shocks. These will improve your TL experience every day.

Even if you *really* liked the door guards, 7 bills sounds pretty steep.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Instructor

Well...... after looking at TONS of pic's on dozens of searches here I've decided to proceed as above - no BSM's for me to start with. I realized while looking at these pic's that one thing that attracted me to the TL styling was the nice smooth side quarters. That said I'll prol'y be kickin' myself in the arse about this one the first door ding I get. That said, the $700 will pay for a Sirius install and 20% tint in the car . I can rationalize ANYTHING .
Old 02-19-2006, 10:47 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

My BSM's

Quick Reply: Body Side Mouldings - Yes or No ???