Sponsored by:

Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Pue
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth

with the new TL having Bluetooth capability does anyone know if Acura will be offering cell phones to go along with the service. will you be able to buy the phone form Acura any have it hooked up to your current cell phone provider? I know Verizon only has one phone with that function.
I'm pretty interested in this since i think its a great feature for the car.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Which Verizon phone has bluetooth?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Bluetooth

Originally posted by Pue
will you be able to buy the phone form Acura any have it hooked up to your current cell phone provider?

The problem with that is that each cell phone company has phones tailored to their own services. As a result, one phone cant work with ATT, Verizon, Sprint PCS, etc.

Bluetooth on phones isnt very popular here, yet. Not like overseas at least.

If Acura does end up selling cell phones, my guess is that one company will be contracted to do it.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:25 AM
Racer

The timeport 270c has bluetooth capability and works with verizon. It is not a sexy phone but it is functional.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Currently (at least in Texas) Verizon has no Bluetooth phones in their current phone offerings. This may vary in different parts of the country. I've tried contacting Verizon on this and they aren't very responsive. I would encourage you to contact them and make your desires known. If they don't hear from us about getting a Bluetooth phone in their offerings, they never will do anything. Also if you go to www.petitiononline.com/ver123/petition.html you will find a petition to sign requesting Verizon to get a Bluetooth phone.

Odds are that I will be getting a TL in the coming months and my Verizon contract is up next March. They have until then to do something, otherwise I'm switching to AT&T. AT&T has at least 3 Bluetooth phones now with more coming.

As for what Acura offers, I don't think they are offering any phones. I did speak to my dealer and they gave me a copy of the Acura documentation on how to sync a Bluetooth phone with the TL. The phones listed were the Sony Ericsson T610 and T68i, the Siemens S56 and the Nokia 3650 and one other Nokia I can't remember. I'm sure there will be other phones that are compatible, but I would check with Acura before buying a phone to make sure it will work with the TL.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AT&T sux around here service wise
Old 10-01-2003, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

IF SprintPCS offers the T68, then that should work. Judging by past experience, that probably ain't gonna happen. They don't seem to be really responsive and have made zero effort to get BT into their lineup so far. There might be hope with the new Treo 600 IF (gee, there's that word again) someone gets off their tush and markets a BT SDIO card compatible with Palm OS5.0+. That's my biggest hope since I really like the smartphone concept and think that the new Treo will fit my needs (other than a lousy low-rez 160x160 screen. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be going with AT&T here as well.

BT is breaking into the lux car market however - BMW E46's for MY2004 up have a BT handsfree kit available, Lexus for MY2004 is incorporating it into the LS430 and Acura with the TL as well that I know of. I've read several places that Saab will be offering it at some point on the 9-3 too. Surely one of the CDMA carriers (Verizon and/or Sprint) will get the message! :p
Old 10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Sprint will be coming out with a bluetooth phone very soon . I talk to them here is a little of what they written back to me.

I apologize for the delay in responding.

We are about to distribute mobile phone featuring integrated
Bluetooth technology. The PCS Phone by Sony Ericsson T608 is
expected to be the first CDMA phone in the United States to feature
integrated Bluetooth technology. With Bluetooth technology embedded
in the phone, the T608 is able to communicate with other
Bluetooth-enabled products by means of a radio link, eliminating the
need for a physical connection.

However, for competitive reasons, we cannot provide you with the
exact date of the launch of this phone. When we launch in a
particular market, you will be notified through a high-profile
promotion.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Cruisin'

Bluetooth phones in my area are also very rare. The only company that has any bluetooth capable phones is AT&T, and they are both camera phones. Hopefully since the TL is the first car with Bluetooth built in, these phones will start appearing more and more. I think that this is a really great feature, and I am really looking forward to having it.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Racer

I hear alot of you commenting on ATT as if that was the only choice for getting a Bluetooth phone.

Fact is that you can get Bluetooth now with T-Mobile, Cingular, and ATT (all of these are GSM providers)
Old 10-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the prob is a lot of us have, want, and would like to remain w/ Verizon, but still get blue tooth
Old 10-12-2003, 10:59 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Actually, Verizon has at least 2. Their PDA Smartphones, the Kyocera 7135 and the Samsung i700 have a slot for a Secure Digital (SD) card. A Bluetooth SD card is available from

http://www.socketcom.com/product/BL4800-392.asp

I'll get one and test it when I take delivery of my Anthracite/Quartz/6MT/Navi late next month.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:48 PM
Racer

It might not be possible to use that Bluetooth card to communicate with the 04 TL. Headset profile on the device is required for it to work with the 04 TL. In those devices you mentioned Bluetooth might only be good for data transfer and other services like faxing, modem, or networking and not voice communication.

But hey try it and let us know.

PS - I've seen quite a bit of postings here regarding Bluetooth and some of you are spelling it as two words. FYI: it's one word.