Sponsored by:

Blower Motor Inop. During Complete Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Certified Acura Tech.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Blower Motor Inop. During Complete Rebuild

Hey guys

So, recently, I pulled the engine and trans out of my '06 Sport w/ 6MT & Nav, stripped it all down, sent the block off to the machine shop to have it sleeved and machined, and sent the crank out of state to have it checked/balanced and micropolished...yada, yada, yada. Anyway, moving on the the reason for my post: After everything was all said and done, I noticed a random problem after the initial start-up. As per the HVAC control panel, it functions as it normally would, showing that the heat and A/C are turning on, varying in fan speed, etc. But, the actual blower motor is not functioning as it should. I ran the self-diag. on the HVAC system, which revealed a "S" code, which defines as, "A problem in the blower motor circuit." I then referenced the troubleshooting section of the good ol' FSM, and proceeded to run through their series of diag. testing procedures to find the culprit. Long story short(er lol!), the diag ended with the FSM stating the Fuse Box need be replaced, due to the ELD going bad. During the rebuild, I hardly even touched the fuse box...as a matter of fact, removing the 2 factory mounting bolts was the extent of anything i did to it. I never even unplugged the unit itself from any of the harness connectors that plug into the bottom of it.

With all that being said, does this type of thing common happen? As in, does the ELD go back in the fuse while the car was sitting for a while with no power going to anything? Also, is it unheard of that everything else in my car is working perfectly fine, except for the blower motor has no functionality whatsoever, so is this typically of a faulty ELD? I'm asking because I know its very common for people to experience flickering of interior lights (most noticeably) when the multifunction switch is activated to use the turn signals, which I am not getting any symptoms like that, or anything even related to interior lights flickering/dimming at all.

If anyone has experienced the same situation, or any similar situations, at that, or has any specific knowledge on this type of problem, please let me know. I'm dying to get back in it after what feels like forever and a day and start driving it again, but being as it's the beginning of winter now, I can't drive it until I resolve this issue because it's too damn cold here to be driving with no heater blowing hot air or defroster!!!

Thanks in advance, to any and all that may share their experience/knowledge with me!!

Last edited by alexbach23; 11-11-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fix the typo in the beginning salutation
Old 11-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Normally this issue is the result of a faulty final stage transistor on the blower motor. $20-40 part and changed in a matter of seconds. Quite common
Old 11-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
^^^^ yep. Do a search OP, should be at least a couple of threads on this subject.

Edit:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...cation-862755/

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ng-try-800460/

Last edited by nfnsquared; 11-11-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Certified Acura Tech.

Question Blower motor inop. during/after overhaul

Hey guys

So, recently, I pulled the engine and M/T out of my '06 Sport 6MT w/ Nav, stripped it all down, sent the block off to the machine shop to have it sleeved and machined, and sent the crank out of state to have it checked/balanced and micropolished...yada, yada, yada. Anyway, flash forward a couple months: now that all is said and done, I now have a problem with the blower motor not functioning at all. So, I ran the self-diag. which revealed the fault code, "S," which defines as, "A problem in the blower motor circuit." I then referenced the troubleshooting section of the good ol' FSM, and proceeded to run through their series of troubleshooting procedures to find the culprit. Long story short, the final result given by the FSM was that the problem was in the fuse box and it needed to be replaced. I also know that Acura integrated the ELD into the fuse box of the 3G TL. I doubt it but it might be worth noting that, during the rebuild, I hardly even touched the fuse box...as a matter of fact, removing the 2 factory mounting bolts was the extent of anything i did to it. I never even unplugged the unit itself from any of the harness connectors that plug into the bottom of it.

With all that being said, does this type of thing commonly happen? More specifically, is it possible for the ELD to go bad while the car was sitting in my garage during my time overhauling it, especially with no battery or power supply at all? Also, is it unheard of that everything else in my car is working perfectly fine, except for the blower motor, which has no functionality whatsoever? Is this type of scenario a typical one caused by a faulty/bad ELD? On a similar note, I know it's very common for people to experience flickering of interior lights (most noticeably when using their turn signals), which aren't any of the symptoms I'm experiencing.

If anyone has experienced the same situation, or any similar situations, at that, or has any specific knowledge on this type of problem, please let me know. I'm dying to get back in it after what feels like forever and a day and start driving it again, but being as it's the beginning of winter now, I can't drive it until I resolve this issue because it's too damn cold here to be driving with no heater blowing hot air or defroster!!!

Thanks in advance, to any and all that may share their experience/knowledge with me!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Certified Acura Tech.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
^^^^ yep. Do a search OP, should be at least a couple of threads on this subject.

Edit:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...cation-862755/

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ng-try-800460/
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I more than aware of the handful of threads out there related to this, but I spent a good little chunk of time searching and pilfering through previously threads yesterday, although I gave up before I found one that had a similar ending result as mine. Even though my diag procedure reported I need to replace the fuse box, before I go ordering a fuse box unnecessarily, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post a thread and see what the thoughts and ideas were of some fellow members. With that being said, I'm glad I did because, even though I stated in my OP that the FSM concluded the fuse box being the culprit, you and another member suggested the blower motor transistor could potentially be the culprit.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
So you didn't like the first thread you started yesterday?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 759 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by alexbach23
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I more than aware of the handful of threads out there related to this, but I spent a good little chunk of time searching and pilfering through previously threads yesterday, although I gave up before I found one that had a similar ending result as mine. Even though my diag procedure reported I need to replace the fuse box, before I go ordering a fuse box unnecessarily, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post a thread and see what the thoughts and ideas were of some fellow members. With that being said, I'm glad I did because, even though I stated in my OP that the FSM concluded the fuse box being the culprit, you and another member suggested the blower motor transistor could potentially be the culprit.
I would have a hard time believing it was the fuse box, FWIW.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Certified Acura Tech.

Originally Posted by Jackass
So you didn't like the first thread you started yesterday?
Daaaaang, Gina! I knew that wasn't going to go unnoticed by someone lol. However, I did have a gut feeling that there was at least one person - a "special" someone - would see it. Ya know, back in the junior high, there was always that ONE kid who wasn't ever technically elected by their classmates as getting permanent, year-round duty as "HALL MONITOR," because they sorta went alotta bit overboard with enforcing the rules of the hall? Ya know, just like the how someone who gains power and authority over others goes to their head, causing their ego to enlarge past the point of no return. Then, next thing you know...BAM! we got a Super High-Speed "G.I. Joe" Hall Assassin! No one ever saw it coming. Before you know it, kids are holding their waste/byproducts in ALL DAY LONG because their fear they might cross paths with the dreaded, "HALL MONITOR." Oh, hey...Just like that episode of Spongebob Squarepants, where he was became hall monitor of the school and kinda overkilled it with his authority?!?! REMEMBER??? Hahaha. You're Spongebob in that identical situation here, buddy!

Naw, I'm just messing with you, man. But for real though, I think I speak for all members of this forum when I say, "Thank you, good sir," it sure is a nice, peaceful feeling knowing that anyone - even the children - can roam around this forum any time, day or night, and their parents don't have to worry about their safety...why? Because here at AZ...no crime gets past our Hall Monitor!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Race Director

With that attitude, good luck finding people willing to help you out in the future.

Since you don't want to listen to us, just go ahead and replace the fuse box and let us know how that worked out for you...
Old 11-13-2018, 08:21 AM
Drifting

No worries. Please do continue to clog up the forums with multiple posts for the same stuff even after your original thread was already getting plenty of attention. It makes the rest of us so happy to see repeats time and time again. No really...it does.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Finally took a few minutes to go look up what an ELD was....I wouldn't assume the ELD would have any impact at all on your blower motor considering if it were causing the issues, in theory you would have plenty of other electrical issues going on.

In theory, if the ELD were bad you would:
1.) have low voltage due to the alternator not outputting enough juice
- eventually dead battery
2.) have high voltage due to the alternator putting out too much juice
- eventually cooked battery
3.) have a bunch of dead electrical circuits if it failed completely open

So as others have already stated, highly recommended to start with the transistor module since that is the much more common part to fail and work back from there. Always possible there is a harness that got knocked loose or cut during the last work. A failed transistor module presents itself differently to various people
Old 11-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
No worries. Please do continue to clog up the forums with multiple posts for the same stuff even after your original thread was already getting plenty of attention. It makes the rest of us so happy to see repeats time and time again. No really...it does.
Was on vacation

Merged.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Merged.
Did you merge the wrong two threads?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you merge the wrong two threads?
wtfreak..

i had merged an earlier thread and then somehow OP's two threads got merged with that one as well

my bad
Old 11-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Certified Acura Tech.

Update Info

Well, I haven't found the problem just yet, but for now, I will update with the little bit of answers I have concluded this far:

1) The blower motor transistor was NOT the culprit. The testing procedures I performed on it all resulted with a green light as far as the part still being good. However, strictly for reassurance purposes (and I suppose a little peace of mind), I decided to replace it anyway with a brand new one fresh out da box.

2) The circuits fuse and relay both test good, and both contacts for each one have power to the correct terminal cavities. However, all locations that I've tested between the fuse box and the blower motor itself (blower motor wires/connector, power transistor wires/connector, etc.) are all completely powerless. Dead. Lifeless....you get the idea.

3) With all that being said, there's not but a couple of components left that could be the problem-child, which leads me to believe the issue either lies in the heater control unit, the HVAC control unit, or potentially some randomly located dead-spot in a wire somewhere (but that will definitely be saved as a last ditch, when all else fails, last resort go-to idea! Lol)

Thus, I do believe I am getting close to a solution and will for sure report back with the final result(s), including all relative issue(s), solution(s), and any other previous unknowns found during this lengthy and time consuming diagnosis!

Just like most of the members of this generous and incredibly helpful forum, I do hope this thread may come in handy to help someone else, if they happen to find themselves in a similar siuation!
Old 12-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Certified Acura Tech.

The solution has been identified!!!

Yup, that's right...I came. I found. I conquered. Haha...take that, Acura!

So basically, long story short, the solution to my inop blower motor issue was all stemming from the entire circuit’s consolidated grounding connection to body (which is specifically located on the very front of the chassis, driver’s side, just behind the front bumper cover, directly below the headlight). This makes complete sense because while I overhauled the engine, I had the front bumper cover removed so I could give it a little much needed TLC. Well, coincidentally, the location that the ground wires fasten to the chassis needed a shot of paint, so I did just that. And, the inner perfectionist w/in me naturally removed the bolt which secured those handful of ground wires. In my defense, in hindsight, I don't specifically remember removing the bolt…but OBVIOUSLY I did so (or else we wouldn't have ever been in the pickle!). Also, I think it goes without saying, that OBVIOUSLY I forgot to reinstall the bolt securing those ground wires.

But, in the end, I'm super happy that I stuck in it and toughed out the grueling troubleshooting, because I'm definitely the type of person who gets rather frustrated when trying to diagnose a problem (especially when it comes to electrical issues) and am not 110% confident that I'm interpreting the DMM values correctly. I'll be honest and say that, while I've become much better, along with learned a lot with the electrical system as a whole, I'll be the first to admit that I still have a very long and apparently rough/troublesome road ahead of me in gaining experience with electrical systems, so please don't judge me!

So, all in all, the best thing you can do to keep your sanity and prolong the sprouting of any gray hairs, kids…is REMEMBER TO REATTACH ALL GROUNDS/CONNECTORS-RELATED COMPONENTS!! Lol

Also, a big thanks to anyone/everyone who not only took the time to read the post, but mainly the the guys who took the extra time to reply to the thread, attempting to help a fellow forum member out! Although, there are sometimes I can be quite the little smartass (never in a serious manner though...always just playing around!), I probably should keep my filter handy the next time I start popping off at the mouth, similar to the instance with fellow forum member, Jackass - hopefully I didn't offend you in any serious kind of way, I was just messing around but I should keep the classy-style etiquette on-deck while posting and commenting on the forum, so I do apologize Jackass if i stepped out of line at all, it was definitely not meant with any disrespect!

Hope this serves well to anyone who might be experiencing some type of issue, and maybe speed up your troubleshooting timeline to a somewhat suitable timeframe...unlike mine, which became very tedious and way too dragged out. Therefore, all that's left to say is...CHECK YOUR GROUND CONNECTIONS!!! Lol.
The following users liked this post:
Jackass (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Drifting

My screen name is Jackass for a reason.....I have been on car forums for many years and have been called many things.

Rarely will I smart off and not at least attempt to help....well...I will....but mostly those that can't help themselves. Glad you stuck to it and figured it out. It was a puzzling oddity, and annoyed the piss out of you, but fixed, working, and thread updated.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Race Director

Damn, kind of pissed that I didn't think to suggest a ground wire issue knowing this happened after an engine swap. I've seen/read about many ground wire issues after an engine/tranny swap. Good on you to figure it out
Old 12-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by alexbach23
And, the inner perfectionist ....

...that OBVIOUSLY I forgot to reinstall the bolt securing those ground wires.

So much for being a perfectionist
Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 759 Likes on 463 Posts
Exclamation Grounds?

Never happened to me...