3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding coolant system/antifreeze & thermostat replacement 3G Garage #A-076

Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I read every post but I guess I missed it. How do we bleed the system after we fill up the system with fresh coolant?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tihomirbg
I read every post but I guess I missed it. How do we bleed the system after we fill up the system with fresh coolant?
It's in post #9, in the fsm screenshots posted by Ron. And mentioned in post #11 as well. It's pretty easy really. & IMO our cars (or Hondas in general) do a good job of burping themselves when you follow the instructions given. Compared to some other cars I've changed fluid & t-stats on anyway.
The following users liked this post:
tihomirbg (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
Personally, I'd go with the Honda coolant- it's sold by the quart at Honda MC dealers as well, so you don't need a full gallon of the stuff. It's blue as is the car's coolant (is silicate free as well).

Thanks, will be picking up one later today. I Think its around $20-$25 per gallon.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
This is also calling for thermostat replacement- where do you guys buy one from? I assume stock Acura is the way to go. I am all about good deals lol
Old 07-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Couldn't you just place a rubber plug over the radiator fill cap, cut a hole in the plug, and blow the rest out with compressed air?
I know it's an old post, but deserves an answer.
NO do not put compressed air into your rad/block!!!
You won't be able to control the pressure in the system and may wreck your rad and head gaskets, just to name a few components.
A vacuum is ok for evacuating air from the system and you won't wreck anything as you won't be able to create too much negative pressure.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old but new for me

One silly question.

When i drain the radiator and block i need to clean both to make sure all the old coolan its out, so i bought a prestone flush & cleaner for the radiator, after i drain both i need to fill the radiator with prestone and distille water and then drain both (radiator & block) again? I heard you need to fill and drain about 3 times to get all the old coolan out.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by iiamchili
One silly question.

When i drain the radiator and block i need to clean both to make sure all the old coolan its out, so i bought a prestone flush & cleaner for the radiator, after i drain both i need to fill the radiator with prestone and distille water and then drain both (radiator & block) again? I heard you need to fill and drain about 3 times to get all the old coolan out.
Yes you need to get all the flush/cleaner out...

Draining/Filling 3 times, is typically done when you leave the thermostat in there, becuase when it closes, it traps coolant in the engine. That's the purpose of opening the engine block plug, so that you drain both sides of the water pump. With that being the case, I don't see why you should drain/fill the radiator more than once.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by avs007
Yes you need to get all the flush/cleaner out...

Draining/Filling 3 times, is typically done when you leave the thermostat in there, becuase when it closes, it traps coolant in the engine. That's the purpose of opening the engine block plug, so that you drain both sides of the water pump. With that being the case, I don't see why you should drain/fill the radiator more than once.
So i could do the 3x drain/fill without opening the engine block or is recommende to open it? Or i could do the 3x drain/fill and then open the engine block to let everything out
Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by iiamchili
So i could do the 3x drain/fill without opening the engine block or is recommende to open it? Or i could do the 3x drain/fill and then open the engine block to let everything out
While you could elect to do the 3x thing without opening the engine block, it seriously only takes like a few minutes to use the engine block drain, so in the end, it'll actually be way easier faster to use the engine block drain, then to bother with 3x drain/fill. Plus, it'll be better to drain it the right way, because even with a 3x drain/fill, if you don't open up the engine block drain, you'll still have a small amount of cleaner/flush diluted in the system.

Last edited by avs007; 09-26-2014 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iiamchili (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by avs007
While you could elect to do the 3x thing without opening the engine block, it seriously only takes like a few minutes to use the engine block drain, so in the end, it'll actually be way easier faster to use the engine block drain, then to bother with 3x drain/fill. Plus, it'll be better to drain it the right way, because even with a 3x drain/fill, if you don't open up the engine block drain, you'll still have a small amount of cleaner/flush diluted in the system.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
I figured I would add to this thread since the pictures weren't working. I finally did the coolant drain for the block and the radiator. I managed to get some pictures. I had a hard time first locating the bolt to drain the coolant from the block. The best way to explain it is it up and behind the oil filter. I did manage to get a long 12mm socket with a breaker bar on the bolt to crack it open. Then attached the 1/4 clear tubbing to the nipple. I then used a small 12mm wrench to open the valve and close it when it drained. There is a pigtail above the oil filter that you can disconnect to give you a little more clearance. Hope this helps anyone.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2008 TL has what appears to be 2 transmission cooling lines in front of the white radiator petcock.

They are are blocking access to turning and draining the radiator. Anyone else ?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
A rare glimpse of the engine block coolant drain plug

Been thinking about tackling this drain/refill and this thread has been great. Since many of the images in the earlier posts are no longer viewable, thought I'd add a couple that might help. The first is from the service manual showing where the drain plug is hiding but it gives you the impression that it's just sticking out for all to see (it's not!). The latter is a screen shot of a video from my reaching behind the front passenger tire and sticking my phone into that spot where the service manual shows. You can clearly see the drain plug with nipple in the upper left.

When I'm ready to do this, I'll remove the front passenger wheel and try to get to it. sk8board{Pete} in post #65 said that it's much easier if you remove the strut bar & tps sensor bracket, but since I'm not 100% certain what those are, I'll go the conventional route. If someone wants to point out those two things, that would be great.

One last question: if I'm going to the trouble of doing this myself, should I change the thermostat while I'm at it? Mine is an '05 with 130K miles on it.

From the service manual
Screenshot from the location shown in the service manual. It's there on the upper left
Old 08-30-2017, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by spamcop01
Been thinking about tackling this drain/refill and this thread has been great. Since many of the images in the earlier posts are no longer viewable, thought I'd add a couple that might help. The first is from the service manual showing where the drain plug is hiding but it gives you the impression that it's just sticking out for all to see (it's not!). The latter is a screen shot of a video from my reaching behind the front passenger tire and sticking my phone into that spot where the service manual shows. You can clearly see the drain plug with nipple in the upper left.

When I'm ready to do this, I'll remove the front passenger wheel and try to get to it. sk8board{Pete} in post #65 said that it's much easier if you remove the strut bar & tps sensor bracket, but since I'm not 100% certain what those are, I'll go the conventional route. If someone wants to point out those two things, that would be great.

One last question: if I'm going to the trouble of doing this myself, should I change the thermostat while I'm at it? Mine is an '05 with 130K miles on it.
Thanks for the pics

AT 130K, you should have done the timing belt water pump at ~105K already so the thermostat should only be about 20-30K miles old. Prob not necessary.

The strut car is up top in the engine bay connecting the two strut towers
Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
I actually had the timing belt done at 95K since I live in Arizona and didn't want to risk it. Given its location, wonder why strut bar removal would make draining the block any easier? Thx again!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

For people wanting to go in from the top
Old 10-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Bumping an old, but great thread... Can anyone provide the service manual's instructions for burping our system again. Many of the images have gone away.

Or can someone just explain very briefly as to the process for our 3gs specifically?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Bumping an old, but great thread... Can anyone provide the service manual's instructions for burping our system again. Many of the images have gone away.

Or can someone just explain very briefly as to the process for our 3gs specifically?

Thanks in advance!

nothing special