Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bigger, Better, Stronger than TSX!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Bigger, Better, Stronger than TSX!

just cared to show MPG over road trip. it's part of road trip from virginia turnpike down to south carolina so overall it's downhill 1500ft but,,, still. considering i got 26MPG @ *illegal speed*mph (avg) uphill from SC to VA

i think TL's MPG is good... (highway 100%)

I am not BS ing to read other people's negative comment and fap -___-

I was impressed,,,,

I know a dick who drives TSX and hates me cz i have TL

well now i can say i'm "bigga(size) betta(mpg), n stronger(engine)" hehehe

not really, i know, but i'm happy i hit 30mpg that tank,, ended up with 370 @ 12.2gallons

290miles highway, the rest is neighborhood urban driving with no traffic.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
It gets better than 30 too.

Did you know you can flip through the mid and go to a screen called "Trip Computer" and when you press OK it will show you your average MPH, average, MPG, distance (miles), and time (how long car has been on for) ?

here's an example... 36 MPG

that was my average driving for 66 miles for a little bit over 1 hour straight.

this is my average from driving from san antonio to dallas texas. over 270 miles, and well over 4 hours of driving. this picture below is a picture of the same trip as the picture above... same day, but the first picture was from the first 1 hour of the trip. the picture below is the average for the whole trip. 36mpg was the highest i could get it

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 12-04-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How come my guages are different on my 2004 TL ?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

Also this thread doesn't belong in this section. Nothing you posted has anything to do with performance PARTS or performance MODIFICATIONS

Originally Posted by GivatiTL
How come my guages are different on my 2004 TL ?
Don't take my words too seriously, but this is how I would say it.

04-06 has the ugly over-done blue gauges

for the year 07-08 acura did some slight refreshments for the TL which includes footwell lighting for the front driver and passenger, redone the gauges to look much cleaner, moved the MID screen to the center instead of off to the right gauge, button to control the MID is now located on the steering wheel instead of on the right side of the dashboard behind the windshield wiper button.

and some other odds and ends I believe, just can't think of right now.

oh yeah, 07-08 TLs also got fog lights from factory and the mirrors also got upgraded to mirrors with built in LED turn signals (see my avatar to the left, you'll notice both the fog lights and turn signal mirrors). if you have navigation, Acura also upgraded the screen resolution of the navigation screens for the 07+ models

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 12-04-2011 at 08:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vietxquangstah:
Acura_Dude (12-04-2011), Bearcat94 (12-04-2011), GivatiTL (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
glad you love your TL-yes they are excellent cars but I chose tsx. No regrets. I have driven on the West Virginia turnpike numerous times. I still think that is scary in parts especially when it rains.. Steep with sharp turns.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Also this thread doesn't belong in this section. Nothing you posted has anything to do with performance PARTS or performance MODIFICATIONS

for the year 07-08 acura did some slight refreshments for the TL which includes footwell lighting for the front driver and passenger, redone the gauges to look much cleaner, moved the MID screen to the center instead of off to the right gauge, button to control the MID is now located on the steering wheel instead of on the right side of the dashboard behind the windshield wiper button.

oh yeah, 07-08 TLs also got fog lights from factory and the mirrors also got upgraded to mirrors with built in LED turn signals (see my avatar to the left, you'll notice both the fog lights and turn signal mirrors). if you have navigation, Acura also upgraded the screen resolution of the navigation screens for the 07+ models
Is it possible to swap to these ?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

It's possible to put turn signal mirrors on 04-06 you'll just have to figure out how to run the wires, or pay a shop/someone to do it for you

I have no idea about the gauge clusters... I would assume no, only because I haven't seen or heard anyone trying it.

For the fog lights you can either get the 03-05 honda accord fog lights and retrofit it onto your 04-06 tl bumper. If you search around here, there are plenty of DIY Guides that show how to do that. If you don't want to do that than your other option is to buy a 07-08 front bumper and fogs. Will cost somewhere in the $500 range. Accord foglights on the other hand only cost $50 but you'll have to cut into your bumper and make them fit.

For the footwell lighting I don't know.... Honestly you would be better up buying some LED strips and wiring them up instead. Seems less expensive and more easier that way. They won't look as "Ambient" "Soft" and "Easy on the Eyes" compared to the OEM foot well lighting though. They'll look BRIGHT and BAM IN YOUR FACE, unless you figure out how to diffuse the lighting somehow. It can be too distracting, I've seen it done before. Swoosh has them in blue I believe.

Here's a picture of Swoosh's car. Far from the OEM ambient lighting look, but it sure as hell stands out and catches eyes!

Note that he also has BLUE LED Door Sills (Door Sills are the metal plate looking thing that you see when you open the door. From factory it just says ACURA. He has aftermarket ones that light up when the door opens. His light up BLUE. They are available in BLUE, WHITE, or RED. See here if you're interested! https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/supercomputer-lighted-door-sills%3B-few-sets-left-donation-holiday-charity-drive-807308/ $205 SHIPPED to your door )

He also has blue LED lights for his interior dome lights.... that's why you see his leather seats reflecting blue. And i'm sure he has blue LEDs on his doors too! blue crazy!!!

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 12-04-2011 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
@ viet : yes, i know, but that would've been ill**al :P let's just say,,, i didn't see nor care that speed limit dropped from 70 to 55..... and oh according to trip comp, it's 32MPG but
when i cruise at 80(speedo) and reset trip comp, it always says i'm going 78mph avg.. so I kinda lost faith in it but oh well.
If i go again, I'll do that.

@ nj2 : don't get me wrong,, i had to find a used car and there was 07 TSX white for $18k and 07 TL black for $15.5k LOL that's the only reason why. my budget was $15k atm. i just felt like ummm "mocking" TSX just because the PERSON i know who has TSX is a d**k xD

and.. are you kidding! it didn't rain but it's so much fun when i'm just cruising with cruise control and flying by everyone people need to know their cars can take much more lateral G than what they think is "safe"
Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Does yours have a 6MT? Naaahhh they didn't give that option in 07-08 unless you bought a Type S. That's the downfall of an 07-08 base for me!! Foglights and mirrors can be DIY'ed.

P.S- I like the gauges in the 04-06 better than 07-08.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cpm06wdptl
Does yours have a 6MT? Naaahhh they didn't give that option in 07-08 unless you bought a Type S. That's the downfall of an 07-08 base for me!! Foglights and mirrors can be DIY'ed.

P.S- I like the gauges in the 04-06 better than 07-08.
That's nice, but no one asked anyone anything about standard transmission. He asked why his 04-06 gauges doesn't look like my 07-08 (obviously he's more interested in the 07-08 gauges) than your random ass comes in and starts talking shit about my 08 because it's a auto?

Sure OK, but I got my 2008 w/ NAVI and 30,000 miles on the meter for only $15k.

07-08 Type-S is $22-$25k. Not to mention manual is even harder to find.

I got my 08 for the price of what the 04-06 were going for with no navi and 75-100k miles on the meter.

Blues my favorite color, but the clusters on the 04-06 are too overdone. Same reason why I didn't put blue LEDs for my interior domes, or get blue illuminated door sills because I don't like it over done. You obviously like the 04-06 gauges better because you own a 06.

And everything can be DIY'd with time and money. That being said, If I had the time and money I could get my auto converted to a manual trans. What's your point?

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 12-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Wow!! I guess no one is entitled to an opinion in this free country. My opinion is that the 06 gauges look good and I don't like auto transmissions. Your opinion is that I shouldn't have an opinion! If you want to go on and on about the differences between the year models and I come in and tell you that you missed one then don't blast me for it. What I posted was meant to be taken as a joke. Nowhere in there did I "talk shit" about your 08. I don't like 06 gauges better because I drive an 06. I like them because they look better (TO ME!!!!!!)<---That's my opinion, will you allow it? Change your tampon and read what I posted one more time. You'll see that I wasn't trying to be an asshole, just stating my preferences!! From now on I'll keep my opinions to myself so that you don't get all butt hurt about them. Have a good night
Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
It's possible to put turn signal mirrors on 04-06 you'll just have to figure out how to run the wires, or pay a shop/someone to do it for you

I have no idea about the gauge clusters... I would assume no, only because I haven't seen or heard anyone trying it.

For the fog lights you can either get the 03-05 honda accord fog lights and retrofit it onto your 04-06 tl bumper. If you search around here, there are plenty of DIY Guides that show how to do that. If you don't want to do that than your other option is to buy a 07-08 front bumper and fogs. Will cost somewhere in the $500 range. Accord foglights on the other hand only cost $50 but you'll have to cut into your bumper and make them fit.

For the footwell lighting I don't know.... Honestly you would be better up buying some LED strips and wiring them up instead. Seems less expensive and more easier that way. They won't look as "Ambient" "Soft" and "Easy on the Eyes" compared to the OEM foot well lighting though. They'll look BRIGHT and BAM IN YOUR FACE, unless you figure out how to diffuse the lighting somehow. It can be too distracting, I've seen it done before. Swoosh has them in blue I believe.

Here's a picture of Swoosh's car. Far from the OEM ambient lighting look, but it sure as hell stands out and catches eyes!

Note that he also has BLUE LED Door Sills (Door Sills are the metal plate looking thing that you see when you open the door. From factory it just says ACURA. He has aftermarket ones that light up when the door opens. His light up BLUE. They are available in BLUE, WHITE, or RED. See here if you're interested! https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807308 $205 SHIPPED to your door )

He also has blue LED lights for his interior dome lights.... that's why you see his leather seats reflecting blue. And i'm sure he has blue LEDs on his doors too! blue crazy!!!
WOW Thanks for this....this might be the first few times my car has been posted...am honored really

And yes you can change the clusters read below

Yes...USR made the gauges which can be overlay-ed on the stock 04-06 ones....here is how mine came out....

Let me try to find the link to the thread....and they are relatively cheap....I think $40
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
blue gauges were over done? which other car had blue gauges.. I can only name VW off the top of my head.

and the TL only had blue tick marks..the text was white
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Be jelly, :-D.

Just kidding, heres what my '08 6MT TL-S looks like on the inside.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 PM

funny how this thread too a 180....started off as a mileage thread and now all you see is gauges LOL....

my contribution to the mpg....all in the same tank....

started of like this:

midway:

ended like this:
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
Yeah the updated gauges of the 07-08 cars are a big improvement. I know its all personal preference, but the old gauges just look cheap...like they should be in a Civic or something.

As far as MPG you guys gotta remember the on board computer will give you a basic number that's generally NOT accurate. I always do my calculations by myself and its always measurably less than what the MID says. For example, my 07 TL-S 6mt usually averages 25mpg with no highway all just far suburban miles. The MID shows 27mpg when it was actually calculated at 25. So its usually a couple MPG generous. Either way though those are all very good figures for a 3500lb sedan.

James
Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
I reset mine but i was averaging 27 over 2k miles. I stopped driving my car everyday though since i bike to work. I can only imagine it would go down since when I do drive it i drive it harder than i would normally to get rid of the "carbon deposits" and wring it out after sitting for days at a time :P I drove about 1k miles this past month and a half.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Yeah the updated gauges of the 07-08 cars are a big improvement. I know its all personal preference, but the old gauges just look cheap...like they should be in a Civic or something.

As far as MPG you guys gotta remember the on board computer will give you a basic number that's generally NOT accurate. I always do my calculations by myself and its always measurably less than what the MID says. For example, my 07 TL-S 6mt usually averages 25mpg with no highway all just far suburban miles. The MID shows 27mpg when it was actually calculated at 25. So its usually a couple MPG generous. Either way though those are all very good figures for a 3500lb sedan.

James
I disagree that the MID is very generous....

if you dont have the trip computer hack then it calculates the MPG per mile over the distance you have gone on the trip computer....the real average....

imagine this scenario's....

Your doing 65 down the highway averaging 35 for 10 miles....Then you stomp on the gas for 1 mile getting on 15 mph....the trip computer will not average 35 and 15....it will average 35 for 10 miles and then 15 for 1 mile and tell you ur average is 30 (rough figures).....the key word is AVERAGE....its not instant gas mileage....

and usually it is pin point....for testing, i used to calculate mileage by distance/fillup and also my MID (it was reset everytime) and it was perfect....
Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ez12a
blue gauges were over done? which other car had blue gauges.. I can only name VW off the top of my head.

and the TL only had blue tick marks..the text was white
Yeah I said the 04-06 blue gauges look too over-done blue for my taste.

07-08 Looks much more subtle and cleaner in my opinion.

As for what other car has blue in the gauges, infiniti does

I like blue in my gauges, just not blue every damn where.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts

hate to break it to you bro, but 04-06 TL's came with fog lights from the factory too.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 PM

^^^ yup the upper fogs but not the lower ones

i put the accord fogs in mine
Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ yup the upper fogs but not the lower ones

i put the accord fogs in mine
me too
Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 PM

^^^ ohhh yeah I used part of ur DIY

:gheyhug:
Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
hate to break it to you bro, but 04-06 TL's came with fog lights from the factory too.
I'm sorry I didn't word it correctly. I meant the 07-08 added the fogs to the lower bumper grill instead of encased in the headlight housing. Fogs were replaced with daytime running lights.

Wait, did the 04-06 tl have daytime running lights and also fog lights inside the headlight housing?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM

^^^ no DRL

only upper fogs in the headlight housing...
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Not that my opinion really matters much, but I prefer the overall look of the 04-06 cluster. I do like the thin blue ring on the 07-08 base, but I just don't like the italics font they chose and the way the white tick marks cut into the blue ring. Everyone has their own opinion.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my '06 6MT new, and have kept a spreadsheet for gas mileage since new, every single tank. I reset the MID at the pump on fill up. The MID has been correct against my calcs 98% of the time, after 5.3 years and 46k miles. The only time it's off is when I have something like 22.4mpg calculated, and the MID reads 23mpg. Overall, I'm pleased, and a little surprised, since most factory fuel mileage meters are notoriously optimistic (a friend with a new Durango insists he gets 28mpg because the MID says so ).
Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM

^^^

i thought i was the only one with a spreadsheet.....i have details like date/miles/gallons/mpg and the excel does the calculations for me

i got my car at 60K and am sitting at 160K and got every fill up documented
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
you guys are all showing MPGs in base TL...how about some type s MPG? here is mine:

Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
i'm using fuelly for my mpg calcs

avg 25-27 often enough mixed driving