Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Aftermarket Rotors for OEM Brembo Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Best Aftermarket Rotors for OEM Brembo Pads

Hello guys, I know this topic has been discussed and i have done a ton of research on various brake pad and brake rotor combinations and have decided to stick to stock brembo pads. HOWEVER, as i have seen mentioned by member "Opel" i do not want to end up matching up my brembo oem pads to a rotor that's gonna chew them up. I care about longevity and brake performance. I could care less about the brake dust cus i clean my wheels every other day and i dont think the stock brakes make very much noise in the first place.

My dilemma is i need the rotors NOW and i cannot wait for a Rotora, Stoptech, or even a RB Rotor to be shipped to me, my Brembo pads arrive tomorrow via FedEx overnight and i need a rotor i can buy from either Napa, Pep-boys, or autozone. Ive hear EBC brand mentioned here but not their rotors, so what do you guys think of these two options from pep-boys given the fact im sticking with OEM Brembo pads?:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai..._rotors_front/

and this one:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai..._rotors_front/

they are only $10 apart in price so which one of these two are better? and is there a better choice from another autoparts store you guys are aware of? (Sorry for the lengthy post btw)

Last edited by emilio320; 04-18-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
check tirerack.com to see if they have reviews on them. I believe they carry the same brand. sorry I have no personal experience with them.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
blank rotors from autozone, pepboys, or napa would work, dont need to spend the extra money unless you taking it to the track a lot.. and if you are doing that then havng the OEM pads probably aint the best thing to use

slotted or drilled really wont give you extra performance for daily driver use, it will however make it look nice, it depends on how much you want to pay and the value of nice looking rotors behind wheels
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FCVadi
blank rotors from autozone, pepboys, or napa would work, dont need to spend the extra money unless you taking it to the track a lot.. and if you are doing that then havng the OEM pads probably aint the best thing to use

slotted or drilled really wont give you extra performance for daily driver use, it will however make it look nice, it depends on how much you want to pay and the value of nice looking rotors behind wheels
I definitely don't track my car, but i am a VERY spirited driver and tend to brake really late sometimes. That said, i do like the idea of the better looks of these two rotors i listed but if the price difference is this big $45-$67 for a premium blank rotor versus $180 for the EBC, then my decision to lean towards EBC begins to look a lot less justified. I guess my only remaining concern is if these Premium blank rotors from either autozone, napa, or pepboys is going to be a major downgrade from the stock Brembo blank rotor that came with the car? Will it last as long or less?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

it wont be a downgrade from the brembo rotors, i can only speak to stopping power

as for how long it lasts I can only speak to my own experience and they have lasted at least 3 years, I replaced them because I wanted to get different rotors/pads but the rotors still looked good and still had enough width left over for a few more years... i will probably put them back on for the winter.. might do a winter/summer setup similar to what I do with my wheels/tires.. well thinking of that

oh, and the most important thing is bedding pads/rotors correctly... I have never heard for folks with rotor issues if they did it correctly... for the people who I know who had issues the first thing I ask is if they bedded their pads correctly and they all say no.. again not any factual data that include numbers but just my experience

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-19-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Awesome thanks for the advice, i just gotta find the right place in these busy miami city to do the bed-in without getting rear-ended by somebody, possibly a big abandoned parking lot.After doing a few Google searches i found this guy on a bmw forum that has contacts over at Brembo who admits that drilled, slotted, dimpled rotors for STREET use, spirited or not, is just a marketing gimmick to allow them to charge more money for a rotor that's costs them the same or less to make as a regular factory blank rotor... so that said i might just let my wallet stay a little thicker and stick with the premium Pep-boys blanks (They call them premium cus they are painted black in every area not being used as a braking surface to prevent rust) which i thought was worth the $15 difference between these and the SUPER basic ones
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
I have D/S rotors I can't really tell the difference between them and the stocks. They do look great though.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Last pad change, I used the standard EBC OEM replacement rotors. They work just fine.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:17 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
I would use Centric stuff (makers of Stoptech). For blank rotors, they have two different alloys that come fully -e-coated black. Obviously the High Carbon alloy is the better of the two and costs more (though nowhere near the cost of slotted). Here are the part numbers

Premium: 120.40062
High Carbon: 125.40062

Here is their talk about Premium Rotors: http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...d=51&Itemid=85
Here is their talk about High Carbon Rotors: http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...266&Itemid=246

TireRack.com want's $59 for High carbon and CarPartKings.com wants $52 (both plus shipping). The regular "Premium" rotors are around $10 less if you search around ($50 shipped on ebay):
High Carbon http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-...125-40062.html
Premium: http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_nkw=...LH_TitleDesc=1

As for pads, you can get the exact same OEM/Brembo pad material from Centric for a lot less money. They call them the 100 series OEM compound pads. The part number is 100.10010 and costs around $80 if you search google. I think they can be found on ebay as well. Here is a link I found for $45 plus shipping: http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-...100-10010.html

If you want better high-temp performance, go with the Stoptech pad compound from Centric. Part number is 309.10010 and cost around $70-$80. Though CarPartKings.com is advertising $57 + shipping: http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-...309-10010.html

Looks like $197 shipped from CarPartKings with High-Carbon rotors and Stoptech pads or $185 shipped with OE Formula pads. Not bad at all.

Last edited by 94eg!; 04-18-2012 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
robocam (03-05-2016)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

+1 on the centric rotors.. they are my next pruchase
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
i know the 6mt and type s have brembo calipers and pads...but are the rotors brembo too? it doesnt say brembo anywhere on the back...
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
i know the 6mt and type s have brembo calipers and pads...but are the rotors brembo too? it doesnt say brembo anywhere on the back...
I don't think it matters. Anything OEM for Honda & Acura is easily as good as a Brembo blank rotors. If the aftermarket Brembo blank replacments come fully painted silver (friction surface too), then I would say yes they supply Honda with the OEM rotors.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 94eg!
I would use Centric stuff (makers of Stoptech). For blank rotors, they have two different alloys that come fully -e-coated black. Obviously the High Carbon alloy is the better of the two and costs more (though nowhere near the cost of slotted). Here are the part numbers

Here is their talk about Premium Rotors: http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...d=51&Itemid=85
Here is their talk about High Carbon Rotors: http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...266&Itemid=246

TireRack.com want's $59 for High carbon and CarPartKings.com wants $52 (both plus shipping). The regular "Premium" rotors are around $10 less if you search around ($50 shipped on ebay):
High Carbon http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-...125-40062.html
Premium: http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_nkw=...LH_TitleDesc=1

As for pads, you can get the exact same OEM/Brembo pad material from Centric for a lot less money. They call them the 100 series OEM compound pads. The part number is 100.10010 and costs around $80 if you search google. I think they can be found on ebay as well. Here is a link I found for $45 plus shipping: http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-...100-10010.html

If you want better high-temp performance, go with the Stoptech pad compound from Centric. Part number is 309.10010 and cost around $70-$80. Though CarPartKings.com is advertising $57 + shipping: http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-...309-10010.html

Looks like $197 shipped from CarPartKings with High-Carbon rotors and Stoptech pads or $185 shipped with OE Formula pads. Not bad at all.
Thanks alot for the advice, i wish i hadn't waited to let my brakes get as horrible as they currently are though to due this brake job, unfortunately as i mentioned in my first post i can't order anything online because i need the stuff here for today so i can work on my car before the weekend as i will really need my car this weekend. Otherwise, if i had the time to wait for the stuff to get shipped i would've gone this route. I settled for the StopPro brand from Pepboys that comes with all of the non-Braking surfaces painted black to prevent rust, i figured these would work fine. Plus i bought OEM Acura Brembo brakes online for 156.00 and paid 17 for overnight shipping. If i could've gotten the Stoptech rotors overnight-ed to me for that cheap, trust me i would've done it lol
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Well at least you got it handled. I'm sure that setup will work great.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
What would be good rear pads to pair with the 100 or 309 Centric pads?

Do they make high carbon rear rotors? Is this a good one for the rear? http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o03_s00

Are there any advantages the 100 has over the 309 pads? I'm just wondering if I choose the 309 pads if there was anything I was giving up vs the 100 pads.

Are these pads and rotors still one of the best options for Brembo-equipped TLs (for daily driving)?

Here is their talk about Premium Rotors: CENTRIC PREMIUM BRAKE ROTORS - Centric Parts
Here is their talk about High Carbon Rotors: Centric High Carbon Alloy Brake Rotors - Centric Parts

High Carbon Centric Front Brake Rotor 125.40062 | Car Part Kings
Premium: 120.40062 | eBay

As for pads, you can get the exact same OEM/Brembo pad material from Centric for a lot less money. They call them the 100 series OEM compound pads. The part number is 100.10010 and costs around $80 if you search google. I think they can be found on ebay as well. Here is a link I found for $45 plus shipping: Centric Brake Pad 100.10010 | Car Part Kings

Old 03-12-2016, 12:36 AM
#1 Super Guy!

To pair with the 100 or 309, get the 100 or 309 in the rear.

And yes they have a high-carbon rear rotor for the 3G TL: 125.40061

OEM and 100 pads will have better initial bite than 309. The 309 will have better high temp fade resistance. They will also cost less.
robocam (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Pro

Thank you so much! I just ordered high carbon rotors all around with 100 series pads (100.05360 in case anyone is wondering). I'll try the 309s if the 100s give me any trouble. It seems that every time I change my pads and rotors, I eventually get pulsing in the pedal, especially during higher speed stops. I've been using Autozone (Duralast) rotors and their ceramic pads. I suspect their rotors might be the issue. I'm hoping this combination of Centric parts will reduce that likelihood.

Do you know what real world benefits Centric's high carbon rotors provide (aside from what they list on their website)? Are there any downsides vs their regular rotors?

I'm also looking for some brake pads with more friction for our Odyssey. Any recommendations? My wife is complaining that she has to press too hard on the pedal vs. a Sienna.

To pair with the 100 or 309, get the 100 or 309 in the rear.

And yes they have a high-carbon rear rotor for the 3G TL: 125.40061

OEM and 100 pads will have better initial bite than 309. The 309 will have better high temp fade resistance. They will also cost less.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 PM
#1 Super Guy!

The only downside to high-carbon rotors is their price. They cost more than regular rotors.

As for the Odyssey brakes, who can say. Usually Honda pads are FF friction rating. You probably aren't gonna find any GG's for the front. The only GG pads for passenger cars I've seen are the Nissin aftermarket style for the rear only. If Nissin sells them for the Odyssey, then there will be a slim chance they are GG. I know the Integra and TL ones rears from Nissin are GG.

Good luck. GG and HH rated pads are usually only found on motorcycles.

BTW: Having to push the pedal harder is actually better from a braking performance standpoint. The human body responds better to pressure (vs position) when it comes to precision input.
robocam (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Pro

Thanks. You just taught me a new spec to look out for. I was about to ask you if these would be a good pad, and it turns out they're GG! That might explain some of the reviews. If I run GG in the front, should I also run GG in the rear?

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s01

Would you happen to know what the 100 and 309 Centrics are rated at?

Do you know if the increased carbon content in the rotor enable them to resist wear and/or warpage?

The only downside to high-carbon rotors is their price. They cost more than regular rotors.

As for the Odyssey brakes, who can say. Usually Honda pads are FF friction rating. You probably aren't gonna find any GG's for the front. The only GG pads for passenger cars I've seen are the Nissin aftermarket style for the rear only. If Nissin sells them for the Odyssey, then there will be a slim chance they are GG. I know the Integra and TL ones rears from Nissin are GG.

Good luck. GG and HH rated pads are usually only found on motorcycles.

BTW: Having to push the pedal harder is actually better from a braking performance standpoint. The human body responds better to pressure (vs position) when it comes to precision input.

Last edited by robocam; 03-13-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:53 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
I honestly don't know how much of a difference you will see using high carbon rotors instead of regular ones during daily driving. It would be minimal at best. I went with Stoptech slotted front and rear with Redstuff ceramic pads on my TL and they work great. I used Greenstuff 7000 SUV pads on my Durango a few years ago and hated them.

A high carbon rotor *should* wear better. As far as warping, no matter what you use for rotors, if the guy rotating your tires doesn't use the correct torque or sequence, then they can get messed up.

Last edited by MarcoNorthPolo; 03-14-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by robocam
Thanks. You just taught me a new spec to look out for. I was about to ask you if these would be a good pad, and it turns out they're GG! That might explain some of the reviews. If I run GG in the front, should I also run GG in the rear?

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s01

Would you happen to know what the 100 and 309 Centrics are rated at?

Do you know if the increased carbon content in the rotor enable them to resist wear and/or warpage?
You will want to match friction front to rear or in a performance situation even try higher friction pads in the rear only. This is because of your brake bias. The performance of a braking system relies VERY heavily on brake bias. Normal passenger cars are already heavy on front bias for the sake of stability. Adding more front bias (higher friction front pads) will actually make your car stop slower than previously. It's the tires that stop the car, and it's proper bias that allows all 4 tires to do the maximum amount of work. Also most Hondas now have electronically controlled bias (EBD). Moving your bias away from stock could potentially slow the computers reaction.

309 and 100 and even OEM Brembo are all FF.

High Carbon should make them wear longer and run quieter. As for warping it's actually a very rare occurrence. What people usually think is warping, is actually an uneven buildup of bad material on the rotors surface. Re-bedding your pads will usually clear it up.....but because your pads are not suited to your driving style, the problem always returns. Here is tons of facts about brake systems if you are really interested: Technical White Papers
robocam (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:44 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
I honestly don't know how much of a difference you will see using high carbon rotors instead of regular ones during daily driving. It would be minimal at best. I went with Stoptech slotted front and rear....
Centric High Carbon rotors ARE Stoptech rotors without the costly and pointless holes or slots machined into them. All the performance at half the price.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Pro

True, I have read about the uneven material deposit, but I was not aware of how to stop it. I was getting ready to buy an on-the-car brake lathe so that I could remove the thin layer myself. It seems that they grind too much away when they turn them. Should I have gone to the 309s instead of the 100s? Or even EBC green, yellow or red stuff pads?

You will want to match friction front to rear or in a performance situation even try higher friction pads in the rear only. This is because of your brake bias. The performance of a braking system relies VERY heavily on brake bias. Normal passenger cars are already heavy on front bias for the sake of stability. Adding more front bias (higher friction front pads) will actually make your car stop slower than previously. It's the tires that stop the car, and it's proper bias that allows all 4 tires to do the maximum amount of work. Also most Hondas now have electronically controlled bias (EBD). Moving your bias away from stock could potentially slow the computers reaction.

309 and 100 and even OEM Brembo are all FF.

High Carbon should make them wear longer and run quieter. As for warping it's actually a very rare occurrence. What people usually think is warping, is actually an uneven buildup of bad material on the rotors surface. Re-bedding your pads will usually clear it up.....but because your pads are not suited to your driving style, the problem always returns. Here is tons of facts about brake systems if you are really interested: Technical White Papers
Old 03-15-2016, 09:00 PM
#1 Super Guy!

I dunno. I'm sure you're fine wtih 100's as they are the compound the car was designed for. Usually people get vibration problems with aftermarket stuff. If worst comes to worse, you can always slap in a set of 309's later on. They are cheap enough. A hard break-in is all you need to bed them in on your existing rotors. This is what the track rats do when they put their street cars on the track.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443
robocam (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
I must have always made a bad pair of pads and rotors. I've tried different pads and rotors, but everytime the stoptech pads left imprints on my rotor which led to vibrations