Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B12 Service - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B12 Service - worth it?

I've got an appointment at my local honda (acura is 65 miles away) dealer tomorrow to have B12 done. They are going to charge me 208 dollars if i bring my own oil. I called the acura dealer that is further away and they charge about the same.

Is this worth it at all? Can a local oil change shop do it instead of going to them? I understand that this also does the engine filter, something with my brakes, and changing a pollen filter behind the dash.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm due for the B12 too. I didn't even check their prices as I know I 'm not getting the B12 for a few reasons. First - I just had new tires mounted just yesterday, so I don't need the tire rotation. I'm not going to pay them to just look a a few things (B service). Also, I'm bringing my own synthetic oil and filter and I'm buying the air and cabin filers to change on my own. So, my B12 will be just an oil change with me supplying my own oil and filter.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WayneJay
I'm due for the B12 too. I didn't even check their prices as I know I 'm not getting the B12 for a few reasons. First - I just had new tires mounted just yesterday, so I don't need the tire rotation. I'm not going to pay them to just look a a few things (B service). Also, I'm bringing my own synthetic oil and filter and I'm buying the air and cabin filers to change on my own. So, my B12 will be just an oil change with me supplying my own oil and filter.
I always buy my own oil but never filter. I don't know how to change any of the filters and I am due for my tires to be rotated but local guys here do oil changes w/their shit oil and tire rotations for 20 bucks. so i could bring them my own oil and they would do the tires for 20 also, but not sure about engine filter, pollen filter, and whatever the thing they do with the breaks is.

anybody else care to weigh in? i have an apt for 8am tomorrow so i need to make a decision pretty quickly.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Never let the dealer do these services unless you're a millionaire and you don't want to work on your own car.

Simple DIY of changing your oil, oil filter, your cabin air filter, and tire rotation. May cost you $45 max on material, and your own labor. Get any synthetic oil (or conventional, up to you) with Filter, and Cabin Air Filter which can be found at your parts dealership at Acura or auto parts store, or eBay.

IMO, best thing to do for your car is to do it yourself. You may mess up a few times, but it will help yourself in the long run, especially when you go broke!

Cheap Oil changes/Rotation just means they use cheap oil and cheap filters.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Never let the dealer do these services unless you're a millionaire and you don't want to work on your own car.

Simple DIY of changing your oil, oil filter, your cabin air filter, and tire rotation. May cost you $45 max on material, and your own labor. Get any synthetic oil (or conventional, up to you) with Filter, and Cabin Air Filter which can be found at your parts dealership at Acura or auto parts store, or eBay.

IMO, best thing to do for your car is to do it yourself. You may mess up a few times, but it will help yourself in the long run, especially when you go broke!

Cheap Oil changes/Rotation just means they use cheap oil and cheap filters.
I agree that this would be optimal but i have zero knowledge on how to do any types of these changes or the stuff to lift the car to do the change even if I had knowledge of them unfortunately.

Would I best off just buying some 5w-20, going to local kwiki-e oil change place and have them do that with the oil filter/rotate tires? Can those places do engine filter for me also? I'm guessing they can't do the pollen filter, although i'm not sure i've owned a car before that even had that as an option to change in the first place.

the guy on the phone this morning also mentioned something about they check or do something to your brakes after removing your calipers?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I am and was like you, I had zero knowledge on stuff with cars. AcuraZine taught me most of what I know and it taught me the basics of cars which lead myself in trying to learn even more. A hydraulic jack cost $40 and with two jack stands it only cost $80 with a 10$ off coupon from Advance Auto that is 70$. Oil change/Filter/Cabin filter = $45. Hopefully you have some screwdrivers and possibly a socket wrench. Check the 3G garage, it has so much valuable information that will help your TL last even longer.

Nonetheless, if you don't want to do it, I can't force you, but just find somewhere to do your oil + filter, cabin air filter, and tire rotation. I'm sure someone on AZ could help you out in exchange for some beer
Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
I am and was like you, I had zero knowledge on stuff with cars. AcuraZine taught me most of what I know and it taught me the basics of cars which lead myself in trying to learn even more. A hydraulic jack cost $40 and with two jack stands it only cost $80 with a 10$ off coupon from Advance Auto that is 70$. Oil change/Filter/Cabin filter = $45. Hopefully you have some screwdrivers and possibly a socket wrench. Check the 3G garage, it has so much valuable information that will help your TL last even longer.

Nonetheless, if you don't want to do it, I can't force you, but just find somewhere to do your oil + filter, cabin air filter, and tire rotation. I'm sure someone on AZ could help you out in exchange for some beer
I would like to one day try to learn this stuff but I need to do it this weekend and I am swamped this weekend. Sounds like an excuse, and it is, but if i'm going to learn i'd want to make sure i had plenty of time and a good person with knoweldge to help. Is the cabin filter the pollen thing that acura was talking about where you have to completely remove your dash?

Also, do you know what they do/don't do to your brakes. Do they do anything with any other stuff? The guy at acura rattled of a long list of stuff but i'm guessing the majority of it was stuff like "top off your fluids"...oooh, ahhh, i'm not that dumb to think that is worth anything.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
This is all great and all but some people are busy and really don't like getting into things. Somethings are great if left to the pros (or 10.00/hr guys) but some people also like the peace of mind that you did it right.

PS - in MN it gets cold for a solid 4-6months and working out in the garage is out of question when working conditions = terrible.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Can a local oil change/tire shop do all of this? Can they change the ac/pollen filter as well as the engine filter?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Not even CLOSE to being worth what an Acura dealer will charge.

To reduce cost consider the following:

- Honda dealer. Lower cost for the same parts; lower labor rate; more likely to be local for some.
- Independent Honda/Acura shop. They're everywhere.
- Regional/National Chain (Firestone, etc).
- DIY. The cheapest of all, but you do have to spend the time.

BTW - ALL of the above will keep your warranty completly intact if the correct service procedures are completed and documented.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Not even CLOSE to being worth what an Acura dealer will charge.

To reduce cost consider the following:

- Honda dealer. Lower cost for the same parts; lower labor rate; more likely to be local for some.
- Independent Honda/Acura shop. They're everywhere.
- Regional/National Chain (Firestone, etc).
- DIY. The cheapest of all, but you do have to spend the time.

BTW - ALL of the above will keep your warranty completly intact if the correct service procedures are completed and documented.
I called Honda but they had the same rate that acura did. Do you think that Goodyear or say a Tire Store that does Oil changes also can do the Engine and Cabin filter as well? It sounds like the engine filter is super easy for them to do, but do you think they have the part or do I need to buy it?

Also, if they can do the cabin filter d you think they have those or do i need to buy those as well?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I consider myself car savvy and have worked on many of my own cars in the past, but I simply don't have the energy nor the desire to do it anymore. Especially oil changes, what a PITA. After I sliced the shit out of my wrist on the underguard of my old Tundra while changing the oil I decided that it wasn't worth the effort to save $20-30 on labor.

Air filters and stuff like that are REALLY easy to do yourself though man. Have them change your oil and do the air / cabin filters yourself to reduce that cost.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced

I'm thinking i may just go to a 20 dollar place tomorrow with my own oil to get that changed and the tires rotated. If they can't do the other things then i'll just get those done seperately at Honda or look into doing them myself.

Can someone direct me in the way of finding the two filters i'll need (cabin/engine)?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Just called my local Tire Plus guys, they said they can do the oil change (won't let me bring in my own mobile 1 5w-20, says they have to buy outside which will cost like 45 instead of 35, sucks but still cheaper). Said they can also do the cabin filter, the engine filter, and rotate tires out the door for around 120. Much better than 240.

For someone who knows how to do none of this, does that seem like a good deal or think i should shop around? are those the only things that really matter in the B12?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
$120 is pretty fair.

Figure $60 for synthetic oil change, filter and tire rotation and $60 for the two filters.

OTOH, I'd charge you a 1/2 a 6-pack and you bring the parts/supplies.

Oh! Look here for info on the filters, especially the cabin air filter: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/
Old 10-16-2009, 04:47 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by MattAKramer
Just called my local Tire Plus guys, they said they can do the oil change (won't let me bring in my own mobile 1 5w-20, says they have to buy outside which will cost like 45 instead of 35, sucks but still cheaper). Said they can also do the cabin filter, the engine filter, and rotate tires out the door for around 120. Much better than 240.

For someone who knows how to do none of this, does that seem like a good deal or think i should shop around? are those the only things that really matter in the B12?
I do my own maintaince, mostly for the peace of mind that the right parts were used and the job done right. As far as oil changes they are easy but messy and I can understand even a pro having it done by someone else. On the other hand I doubt your Mobil one or other good oil finds its way into you car if you go to a quicky lube.

Once you see how easy this stuff is to do, you will be pissed you paid someone to do it. The Cabin air filter takes a flat head screw driver and 10 mins of your time. Oil changes require only a 17mm wrench, in terms of tools.

I would say have the shop do the oil and tire rotation and find a member to do the cabin air filter. The cabin filter should be done by someone who knows how or has atleast read the directions. I wouldn't want some quicky lube guy messing with my dash. Post your location and I am sure there is a member close to help you out.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:15 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
I do my own maintaince, mostly for the peace of mind that the right parts were used and the job done right. As far as oil changes they are easy but messy and I can understand even a pro having it done by someone else. On the other hand I doubt your Mobil one or other good oil finds its way into you car if you go to a quicky lube.

Once you see how easy this stuff is to do, you will be pissed you paid someone to do it. The Cabin air filter takes a flat head screw driver and 10 mins of your time. Oil changes require only a 17mm wrench, in terms of tools.

I would say have the shop do the oil and tire rotation and find a member to do the cabin air filter. The cabin filter should be done by someone who knows how or has atleast read the directions. I wouldn't want some quicky lube guy messing with my dash. Post your location and I am sure there is a member close to help you out.
I agree about the cabin filter, you basically need to pull out your glove compartment and the plastic piece behind the glove box to get to the cabin air filter and this can be a little tricky. They might have been thinking of the engine air filter which is an easy 5 second swap out if you have the oem filter.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to mechanics, but I've always changed my own engine filters - seriously takes like 5-10 min of your time. And reading the directions about the cabin filter has some mixed reviews. Some people say it is a cinch to put in, and looking at the DIY i think it kinda looks like a PITA. And that is why I haven't gotten around to changing my own cabin filter

I've done my first oil change with m1 5w30 and m1 filter and I couldn't believe how easy it was even with a few hiccups (oil spilled, drain bolt was overtightened from the dealership), but you learn from your mistakes.

It is a great way to fall in love with your car and really understand how it works.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MattAKramer
I always buy my own oil but never filter. I don't know how to change any of the filters and I am due for my tires to be rotated but local guys here do oil changes w/their shit oil and tire rotations for 20 bucks. so i could bring them my own oil and they would do the tires for 20 also, but not sure about engine filter, pollen filter, and whatever the thing they do with the breaks is.

anybody else care to weigh in? i have an apt for 8am tomorrow so i need to make a decision pretty quickly.

Thanks!
"Oil changes with their shit.."

Lmfao.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hi speed

Did the cabin and engine filter in 30 minutes. Planning on an Acura Local Repair Shop to do the oil change, no mess. He'll also check everything else out for me and let me know if I have any other problems I don't know about.

An amazing thing to me is I still have original brake pads after 135K miles, never thought they would last this long. Recent inspection revealed they are still good. Will find out Friday.