3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Tranny: Slight delay shifting form Park to Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Automatic Tranny: Slight delay shifting form Park to Drive?

Question, just got a Automatic 08 TL. I'm not really familiar with automatic transmission. I noticed that there is a delay before it grabs into Drive from Park. Is that the norm for these Automatic TL's?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Search for "pressure switches" and "racing atf". This is one of the most talked about subjects on the board. Somewhat normal but it gets worse over time and there are ways go get rid of it almost entirely.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
i can say for sure that the slight "lag" you feel going from park to drive is normal. i noticed this too when i first got my 08 tl and thought something with my particular car was wrong.

but after being on this forum for awhile, i've come to realize its the norm for people who haven't done the pressure switches.

i did a 3x4 with redline racing and i still get a slight lag shifting from park to drive. hopefully when i do my 3rd and 4th pressure switches it will eliminate it or atleast greatly reduce it.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
i can say for sure that the slight "lag" you feel going from park to drive is normal. i noticed this too when i first got my 08 tl and thought something with my particular car was wrong.

but after being on this forum for awhile, i've come to realize its the norm for people who haven't done the pressure switches.

i did a 3x4 with redline racing and i still get a slight lag shifting from park to drive. hopefully when i do my 3rd and 4th pressure switches it will eliminate it or atleast greatly reduce it.
It won't eliminate it but it will help. The trans is supposed to shift into 3rd quickly before downshifting to 1st to reduce the shock to the driver. When the switches get out of calibration, it stays in 3rd too long and you feel this as a delay. The car is actually in gear right away. If you were to hit the gas right away it would move but it would be in 3rd gear so it would be sluggish. As we all know, having new switches are the key to long transmission life. Cold shift harshness and downshift harshness will be reduced as well.

Sometimes adding the racing fluid with bad switches can cause harsh shifts but adding it with new switches causes super quick but unnoticeable shifts. The tach drops instantly, the shift is completed super quick but you don't feel it.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It won't eliminate it but it will help. The trans is supposed to shift into 3rd quickly before downshifting to 1st to reduce the shock to the driver. When the switches get out of calibration, it stays in 3rd too long and you feel this as a delay. The car is actually in gear right away. If you were to hit the gas right away it would move but it would be in 3rd gear so it would be sluggish. As we all know, having new switches are the key to long transmission life. Cold shift harshness and downshift harshness will be reduced as well.

Sometimes adding the racing fluid with bad switches can cause harsh shifts but adding it with new switches causes super quick but unnoticeable shifts. The tach drops instantly, the shift is completed super quick but you don't feel it.
where would i get my hands on these pressure switches
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
the honda website has them, or your local honda dealer. They run about $45 each.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
The park or reverse to drive delay is annoying as shit. My auto TLS did it and now when I drive my wife's Accord same delays with that. It's normal, but is very annoying. I know to expect it but I could see someone going right into drive and stepping on the gas and doing almost a unintentional neutral drop. What really sucks about that when your in a situation where you need to go quickly but you can't because you gotta wait for that delay. And again your putting yourself in a situation where you might accidentally hit the gas prior to it fully engaging. Gotta love the Honda automatics :-)
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

The park to drive issue is different than the drive to reverse issue. There actually is no delay from park to drive, it's just taking too long to go from 3rd to 1st. If you had to, you can hit that gas when you first shift to drive and the car will move but it will be in 3rd at first so it will be sluggish.

Drive to reverse is annoying and as far as I know there's not a whole lot we can do about it. If you were in a bind you can always hit the throttle right when you shift into reverse. Raising up the line pressure by hitting the throttle will make it engage reverse a lot quicker. It's not good on the trans or the mounts but if you're in danger, just hit the throttle right when you shift and the car will jerk and move. I would never ever do this normal but if it's a safety issue, it works.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
I'm not talking about drive to reverse. I said park OR reverse to drive. Going into drive from either of those and there is a delay that's long enough that if you give it gas too quickly your gonna jolt the crap out of the car.

Well wait now you got me confused because your talking about 1st and 3rd gear and stuff. We are referring to automatic aren't we? Every Honda automatic I have owned/driven has a engaging delay anytime you go into drive (whether it be from park, reverse, or neutral)
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I'm not talking about drive to reverse. I said park OR reverse to drive. Going into drive from either of those and there is a delay that's long enough that if you give it gas too quickly your gonna jolt the crap out of the car.

Well wait now you got me confused because your talking about 1st and 3rd gear and stuff. We are referring to automatic aren't we? Every Honda automatic I have owned/driven has a engaging delay anytime you go into drive (whether it be from park, reverse, or neutral)
What IHC is saying is Honda did it this way purposely, it shifts to third gear before shifting to first gear when you move from P,R or N in to D and the delay is actually from the switch from 3rd to 1st gear. Changing 3rd and 4th pressure switches reduce the delay and jerk.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mau108
What IHC is saying is Honda did it this way purposely, it shifts to third gear before shifting to first gear when you move from P,R or N in to D and the delay is actually from the switch from 3rd to 1st gear. Changing 3rd and 4th pressure switches reduce the delay and jerk.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

It's supposed to hit 3rd gear when you first put it into drive. In less than a second it hits 1st after engaging 3rd. That's why you will notice a subtle double bump when you put it in drive. If you give it gas quickly, it will jerk you back when it hits first because you've loaded up the torque converter but it's not a bad jerk that will hurt the car, just your neck lol.

Last edited by I hate cars; 09-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 04 Accord V6 does this exact thing. Im going to look into changing those switches if it will help. Im used to it doing that, but Im afraid if I have to loan my car out to a family member and they dont know about it that it will hurt the tranny.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The park to drive issue is different than the drive to reverse issue. There actually is no delay from park to drive, it's just taking too long to go from 3rd to 1st. If you had to, you can hit that gas when you first shift to drive and the car will move but it will be in 3rd at first so it will be sluggish.

Drive to reverse is annoying and as far as I know there's not a whole lot we can do about it. If you were in a bind you can always hit the throttle right when you shift into reverse. Raising up the line pressure by hitting the throttle will make it engage reverse a lot quicker. It's not good on the trans or the mounts but if you're in danger, just hit the throttle right when you shift and the car will jerk and move. I would never ever do this normal but if it's a safety issue, it works.

I have this issue with my 2008 TL (83k miles):
Does replacing the switches will help?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
how much does it cost to get the pressure switches replaced at honda?? I have a TL-S and im tired of the delay it takes everytime.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
Do not go to a dealership for pressure switches.... There gonna charge like 2 hours labor + parts.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nothome17
Question, just got a Automatic 08 TL. I'm not really familiar with automatic transmission. I noticed that there is a delay before it grabs into Drive from Park. Is that the norm for these Automatic TL's?
Why is this so?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
does it make a click sound? Mine clicks when going from P > R and lags from P>R and R>D. Not sure what happens with P>D I guess I am always backing out
Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
the lag is normal, and the click sound meaning your trany had engage in the reverse gear.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Leye
Why is this so?
Look at posts 2, 4, 8, 10, and 11 in this very thread...
Old 03-19-2016, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Similar Problem With Jeep Grand Cherokee, Solved!

I had a similar problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, where it would back up real slow in Reverse, and when I put it in Drive, it would take about 3 to 4 seconds before it actually went into gear, jerk forward, and then slowly pick up speed, after driving about 1/2 block. When I stopped at a stop light, it would sometimes vibrate, and shut off. I had to shift it to neutral or park, and start it back up. I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, but that didn't solve the problem. I finally gave in, and took it to the transmission shop, where I have had filter and fluid changes, and other work, done there before. The mechanic drove it, ran some diagnostic tests, and thought it was a solenoid pack that I needed. The cost of that, plus labor, would have run over $1,000; but when he dropped the transmission pan, he saw that one of the 2 filters, in there, had become loose, to the extent, that this was causing all of the problems. Replacement of this filter, transmission fluid, and labor, only came to a little over $200; much to my relief, and smile on my face. Even the Manager was surprised that a loose filter, was the source of the trouble, and that replacing it, solved the problem. Hope this can help someone else, with similar problems.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:27 PM
3rd Gear

My 07 tl base does it but only after I drive it (won't do it in the morning but let's say when I get to work and either go from drive to reverse or park and back to drive it does it and if I don't have my foot all the way down on the brake it does it so hard that my D indicator starts blinking, CEL and VSA light come on) but I turn the car off and on and everything goes away but the CEL light ( takes a day or 2) and then it goes away. Please tell me the pressure switches will fix this
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My TL has has a delay from Park to Drive and a longer delay from Reverse to Drive but not when the transmission is cold. This really only happens after driving a few miles or more. I've had the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches replaced and a 3x3 service which really only helped get rid of the shuddering I was having in the upshifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. I've been living with the annoying shifting delays for quite a while. I've just succumbed to the idea that I need to live with it since I have about 272K miles on my car. I am careful to stay at a complete stop before feeling the transmission engage in the proper gear even if somebody is waiting for me. They just have to wait.