Sponsored by:

ATF 3x3 drain question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 AM
MZM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATF 3x3 drain question

My 05 TL 5AT has 108k miles and i would like to do a drain. My question is, is it ok to do the normal 3x3 procedure, or should I be doing something else?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
That would be sufficient. Some might mention that it might be a good idea to change the filter, but its not a regular service item.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/5at-filter-cartridge-731052/
Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 AM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i recall an AZ member saying that vehicles with high mileage should not attempt the 3x3 procedure and should instead just do a refill. Is this true?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you ever changed the ATF before?

If you never changed the ATF b4 then a 3x3 might be a bad idea.. If you do all that new fluid at once then all the crap that is loged in there might become loose and get into your clutch packs and ruin your trans quicker..
If it where me I would drain 3 and fill 3 and then do it your next 2 or 3 oild changes evey 5 k miles so you dont dislodge all the shavings and particles at once... so drain 3 and fill 3 now, check drain plug for shavings wipe off shavings and refill 3. Then repeat at like 5k miles down the road and then again 10K miles down the road and then dont worry about it for 50K miles.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
thats correct
If you already have 100 dont do a 3x3,,it washes away needed sludge holding the clutches together
Personally I wont do a first time change at 100- too risky, based on my own gen2 experience and reading on here
Just keep running it as is- no kidding,,
a 1x3 --if you dare-- with Honda atf only
Does your fluid look brown or smell burnt?

acura says 2 things - at the dealer they have a TSB method similar to a 3x3 but run the car on a lift to simulate the drives and move old fluid out of the torque convertor to the drain
While the book says a 1x3 is all you need every xthousand miles- iirc its 30

A 3x3 is only supposed to be used if you ever have a leak and add DEX3 to the trans- then a full cleanout of all the fluid MUST be done or havoc will ensue- dex3= death in 3 weeks or less!

note the book calls for 12 qts on a 3x3 not 9 as is logical based on math.
but they mean drain the 3 qts the trans will give up at a time 3 times and then refill a 4th= making 12

Some owners are doing 3x3 every 30k miles starting at 30 to keep things clean and lubed.
Acura woefully underestimated the frequency of fluid change needed when making the owner book several years ago
Now practical experience says what to do

If unsure of fluid condition take a 4 ounce sample and send to www.blackstone-labs.com
they will tell you what to do-
$35 for mass spectrometer testing and check of how long you can run the currect fluid
They can test any type fluid for you
Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Team Owner

note- the clutch plates and sludge
For those familar with motorcycle wet clutches- the TL is very close to the same idea- except a full set of- lets say 5- friction plates stacked on top of each other,, per gear, not just one set for all of them like a bike.
Those hold to each other to keep trans engaged, opposite of a dry clutch on a manual trans that when it operates to seperate the trans from engine-
the auto keeps the 2 connected,,remove its friction plate grip and slip slip slip
These are very thin metal disc with a combination of friction materials, cork- metal bits and who-knows all glued to the disc
As dirty sludge accumulates on the clutch disc it makes up for material that is worn away with use

Wash all that out from the cleaners that are in new oil.. and you may just wash away the friction keeping the trans working--
does that make sense?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

That's rediculous. The new fluid is not going to wash away the "sludge" and cause transmission damage. There is no difference in changing the fluid and adding 3 qts opposed to doing the 3 x 3.
Acura factory specifications calls for a 100,000 mile change, so do the change and you'll not have any problems.
Have done many high mileage vehicles and never a problem.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I'm doing a 1x3 every 20K miles so I will have done a 3x3 by 60K effectively and not waste as much fluid by filling and draining 5 minutes later. The other benefit is that I can check the magnetic plug each (more frequent) fluid change and see how things look. There was a lot of fragments on the plug at 20K and I would hope I'll see a lot less at 40K. I have 26K miles now, so I'll be waiting a year+ to see how things are.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Team Owner

turbo- it may be crazy but its true- gen2 has proven that a 3x3 can cause too much cleaning and loss of friction- so will a power machine flush of trans fluid- thats reallllly bad on them
Mind you - this example is only for car with over 100k miles and never did any trans fluid service
If you start at 60 that should be good to do whatever you want

I dont know gen3s book, but acura was calling a 3 qt drain and fill a trans service- thats all they do at the dealer- so thats meeting warranty

If you start early and stay on a program then it should not be an issue, as long as you start early and stay on it
By 100 these trans are pretty ugly inside
Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Think about the statement, if a simple drain and refill were the cause of trans failures, there would be millions of vehicles needing a replacement. A great many people I’ve dealt with, the trans fluid change is the least of their worries as far as vehicle service, but when they discover that the trans is malfunctioning, they panic, and have the fluid changed hoping that it will be the correction needed and no further service required. Some get lucky and find that the required service, fluid, or fluid/filter does the trick, but some will find it’s too late and goodbye trans. Also, the Gen 2 trans problems weren't related to the fluid, or fluid changes, it was lubrication under certain driving conditions, that's why they were going out when the cars were virtually band new.
Using your scenario, when a used vehicle is purchased and the 100K mile mark rolls around, and now it’s time to service the trans fluid, how would one know if the fluid has been changed previously? Most don’t, so I guess the trans would go out on the second/third owners when they have the fluid changed.

I’ll leave it there and wrap it up by saying, either change the fluid at the factory intervals (100K), or naturally sooner, or don’t do the change and drive around with “old” and possible contaminated fluid and see what happens, it’s your choice.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought my TL-S with 47k on it. The trans fluid looked a little old. Not pink and clean. I took it to the dealer for warranty work and asked them to look at the trans. They said it was fine but suggested a fluid change. I am not sure what method the used. The trans feels ok but once in a while it shifts hard. Maybe that is just the way it is on auto TL-S's. So when should I change it again? 100k?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJack75
I just bought my TL-S with 47k on it. The trans fluid looked a little old. Not pink and clean. I took it to the dealer for warranty work and asked them to look at the trans. They said it was fine but suggested a fluid change. I am not sure what method the used. The trans feels ok but once in a while it shifts hard. Maybe that is just the way it is on auto TL-S's. So when should I change it again? 100k?
they probably only did a 1x change. check the fluid and see if its that pinkish red color. if it still looks dirty then i would do 2 more changes when you do your next oil change. btw its easier then changing your oil.

also check the price of the honda z1 at both your local acura and honda dealer. it was like 2$ cheaper at the honda dealer so i went there and got it.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Think about the statement, if a simple drain and refill were the cause of trans failures, there would be millions of vehicles needing a replacement. A great many people I’ve dealt with, the trans fluid change is the least of their worries as far as vehicle service, but when they discover that the trans is malfunctioning, they panic, and have the fluid changed hoping that it will be the correction needed and no further service required. Some get lucky and find that the required service, fluid, or fluid/filter does the trick, but some will find it’s too late and goodbye trans. Also, the Gen 2 trans problems weren't related to the fluid, or fluid changes, it was lubrication under certain driving conditions, that's why they were going out when the cars were virtually band new.
Using your scenario, when a used vehicle is purchased and the 100K mile mark rolls around, and now it’s time to service the trans fluid, how would one know if the fluid has been changed previously? Most don’t, so I guess the trans would go out on the second/third owners when they have the fluid changed.

I’ll leave it there and wrap it up by saying, either change the fluid at the factory intervals (100K), or naturally sooner, or don’t do the change and drive around with “old” and possible contaminated fluid and see what happens, it’s your choice.
If you changed your fluid every 30,40,50 K then the 3 x 3 would not be a problem. Like 0104TL said you really shpuld no do a overhaul just drain 3 and fill 3 . I personally know 2 people that never changed the fluid and decided to flush it all after 100K and there tranny failed a week or two later with no signs b4 the flush. I had this car for 10 years in march and went through 3 trannies on my 4th now and know the acura techs and am in the buesness.
In some cars that recommend change at 100K its fins but at cars that need a change at 30-50K and never doing it ,then doing it all at once can loosen up alot of CRAP.. Just drain 3 and refill 3 for now and wait 5-10 k till your next drain 3 and fill 3. DO NOT DO IT ALL AT ONCE!!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Moral of the story is to start early as a precationary measure, if it's past 60k, dont do a full 3x3 flush but start very slow with one or two bottles at a time.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StonedCL
In some cars that recommend change at 100K its fins but at cars that need a change at 30-50K and never doing it ,then doing it all at once can loosen up alot of CRAP.. Just drain 3 and refill 3 for now and wait 5-10 k till your next drain 3 and fill 3. DO NOT DO IT ALL AT ONCE!!
Don't understand? You say that it's fine if the manufacturer recommends 100k fluid changes, well, the Acura schedule is 100K mile fluid changes???????????? 60K if under extenuating operating conditions.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a 2006 tl That has 130000. We drove for about 2hrs straight about to get off highway and noticed we were at 3k instead of 2k at cruising speed. Temp was just a lil above half. I have no clue as to service records. I want to do a 3x3 flush with redline d4. My qeustion is how much time do you guys recomend between the 3 drain refills. I originally was going to do all at once. Now Im thinking 3 qts today and then again in about 3k. And the third in another 3k. Forgot to mention 3 gear shudder every now and then under light throttle, and when bellow 2k in 5th the revs seem to be pulsating untill more throttel is applied. Thanks for any advice or opinions.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 97lude06tl
Just bought a 2006 tl That has 130000. We drove for about 2hrs straight about to get off highway and noticed we were at 3k instead of 2k at cruising speed. Temp was just a lil above half. I have no clue as to service records. I want to do a 3x3 flush with redline d4. My qeustion is how much time do you guys recomend between the 3 drain refills. I originally was going to do all at once. Now Im thinking 3 qts today and then again in about 3k. And the third in another 3k. Forgot to mention 3 gear shudder every now and then under light throttle, and when bellow 2k in 5th the revs seem to be pulsating untill more throttel is applied. Thanks for any advice or opinions.
Sounds like you have some torque conv shudder going on. How does the fluid in there now look? If you just purchased and it looks really clean, maybe the last owner tried some drain and fills themselves in an attempt to mask the issue. If it looks real dark and smells burnt i would ease into any changes. Maybe do one drain and fill and then wait and see what it does and go from there.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

Plenty of people here on AZ have done the 3x3 procedure all at once (I did in November, for my 2004 TL). I have had zero problems, and I even did it while it was below freezing outside (in northern Idaho). Just moved to Texas and my car still runs perfectly, no issues.

If it gives you more peace of mind to space out the drain and fills, then by all means do that- it's your car and you SHOULD be picky about how things are done, and do them to your satisfaction. But if you're wondering if it's advised or safe to do it all at once, the answer is yes. I've never done a tranny fluid flush before (I was nervous before I did it), and it went perfectly fine with no problems.

If I was able to do it and not cause my car to blow up, then anyone can.