3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have tint but no moleskin???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Looking for a side chick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Tint Protector MS, installed after tint, followed directions in my anal retentive manner, and I've got some mad streaking and the moleskin's actually coming off on the drivers side. Oh, and I still picked up a scratch after installation.

Now, for a slightly off-topic question:

Sitting at a traffic light the other day, I noticed that the exterior window seal was actually felt-covered. Might there be a way to purchase an extra set and modify to fit as an interior seal?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
05 6MT NBP TL

Just got my windows tinted 4 days ago without moleskin. My guy told me he never got any car back with scratches and the stuff he's using is really hard to skratch.... And if I get any scratch under normal conditions that he will in fact cover it free of charge.

No skratch so far but only had my tint for 4 days hehe
Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

Any brand tint applied to a 04-08 TL and TSX will scratch. It's only a matter of time.

The only way you can avoid it is to apply Tint Protector Moleskin or to cut the plastic wiper blades off. If they cut your blades then you are in trouble. Water and wind noise will enter your car door without the seal.

Sometimes the tint shop will stretch the opening in the door panel. This too leads to rattles, noise and water intrusion.

It's just a matter of time before you notice the vertical lines on your tint start to form. Keep us updated.

http:///acura
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
had my tint done at Driven Dynamics on 5/9 no moleskin. no scratches yet. I open the window occasionally and rarely open the rear windows.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
I had my tint for 3+ years now.... and my folks' '99 maxima have tint also.... never used moleskin or any other things to protect the tint..... NOT a scratch..... tint are there to protect the windows also..... so why bother to get a protector for the protector??? get a better quality tint film and leave it alone.....
Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Instructor

well, i guess i'll definitely be going to driven dynamics after checking out this thread and their site

i was looking for a close, good tint shop in the area
Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
My TL-S is finally going in this weekend for tinting. I've been asking my tinter many questions for the last month regarding the possible Nav signal degradation with metallic tint(he's not concerned about that) to the scratching issue. As I had mentioned in my above post, he will install moleskin if I want it, but doesn't think it is needed.
Furthermore, he'll warranty that if the tint gets scratched, he will replace it free of charge and install moleskin of my choice for me. Now that is customer service in my book!

Then I may be coming to you flnsx for some of your high quality moleskin...until then, we'll see.
Well, I thought that I'd give an update...

It's been roughly a month since I've had my tint....no moleskin and no scratches yet. I'm pretty meticulous about keeping my car clean so I think that's had something to do with it. IMO, I think there are several factors that contribute to the tint getting scratched.
Firstly, my weatherstrip doesn't seem tight to the glass so it isn't dragging and hence causing scratches.
Second, if I notice that there is dirt or grit on my window I won't roll it down. And I'll clean it off ASAP....along with the weatherstrip and window felt below. If grit can't embed itself, it won't scratch.
Thirdly, I had a high quality tint installed (Llumar) so it resists scratching. Cheaper stuff may be less resistant to scratching.

I'm pretty confident that as long as I'm relatively diligent about keepthe car clean my tint should remain scratchless.
Oh and BTW, I have metallic tint an there's no degradation of any radio, XM or Nav signal.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 PM
19" Inchs Of Hyper Black

Well i live in NC and it get very humid and hot here an i dont have any moleskin on mine and i have light straches that cant been seen unless in sunlight
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Instructor

I posted in another thread, but i am still really pissed. Tint Protector's "superior quality" moleskin is complete crap. Even though i meticulously followed the directions (alcohol, sand paper, dry time, application, sit a day before opening), it messed up all my windows! the rear 2 have very tiny marks from glue, the passenger side maybe a few lines of glue...and the driver's window is just jacked. The entire window is covered in glue.

My advice to those getting tint: find a shop that installs moleskin which they sell. flnsx may state his skin is superior; but if his glue damages the tint job, there is no warranty. If the tint shop installs their own skin, they will be held responsible for any damages.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

I posted this too in an earlier thread and it still stands.

WE have sold thousands of kits. Our Moleskin has lasted for years and years in our customers cars and my two personal ones as well.

If you sand the weather strip to much the Moleskin can't stick to it. How much did you sand it?

It think it's an installation problem. Either over sanding or using to coarse sandpaper that left deep groves in the plastic of the weather strip.

You should also install the moleskin AFTER the tint is applied.

BLUE07TLS, I had NO intention of "fooling you". I started this company to fix my two cars tint from scratching. I wouldn’t sell it if it didn’t work better than the generic stuff that is out there. I have no seen any other moleskin that works better than mine. Have you tried others? Why knock my product before you tried others? They don’t work AT ALL! Not even for a short period of time.

The TL's door panel is VERY tight. Much tighter than most other cars. The heat and pressure can sometimes cause it to detach under extreme conditions if it was not installed correctly in the first place.

I tested numerous types of moleskin when I was working with an engineer to develop the adhesive we use. Our MoleSkin in my opinion works the best for this purpose. Not one of the generic moleskin’s lasted 1/10 as long as ours.

I am sorry your kit didn’t work out for you. Why didn’t you email me? Why didn’t you give me a chance to fix your problem before you started bashing us on the forums?

I pride myself on great customer service.

James
Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to have my windows re-tinted multiple times before finding out about this site and moleskin was. I had horrible scratches everytime I rolled my windows up and down. I have had moleskin from flnsx on my car for over 2 years now and haven't had one problem with it at all, in extreme hott, cold, or any type of weather at all. If installed properly nobody should have any problems with it coming undone or glue getting on the windows etc. Flnsx has been nothing but great service for me in the past when I first had many numerous questions about moleskin, how to install it, etc. and has always answered my questions in the past about my tint problems I used to have. But like I said I have had his product on my car for over 2 years now and still looks brand new when I first installed it. Honestly without his product I would still have scratches all over my tint and would extremely disatisifed with that. So I was lucky enough to find his product and get it for my TL.

-Jay
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by flnsx
I posted this too in an earlier thread and it still stands.

WE have sold thousands of kits. Our Moleskin has lasted for years and years in our customers cars and my two personal ones as well.

If you sand the weather strip to much the Moleskin can't stick to it. How much did you sand it?

It think it's an installation problem. Either over sanding or using to coarse sandpaper that left deep groves in the plastic of the weather strip.

You should also install the moleskin AFTER the tint is applied.

BLUE07TLS, I had NO intention of "fooling you". I started this company to fix my two cars tint from scratching. I wouldn’t sell it if it didn’t work better than the generic stuff that is out there. I have no seen any other moleskin that works better than mine. Have you tried others? Why knock my product before you tried others? They don’t work AT ALL! Not even for a short period of time.

The TL's door panel is VERY tight. Much tighter than most other cars. The heat and pressure can sometimes cause it to detach under extreme conditions if it was not installed correctly in the first place.

I tested numerous types of moleskin when I was working with an engineer to develop the adhesive we use. Our MoleSkin in my opinion works the best for this purpose. Not one of the generic moleskin’s lasted 1/10 as long as ours.

I am sorry your kit didn’t work out for you. Why didn’t you email me? Why didn’t you give me a chance to fix your problem before you started bashing us on the forums?

I pride myself on great customer service.

James
This is exactly why, even though I have had issues with my moleskin, I was clear in saying that I have not yet contacted Tint Protector (James). I will, outside of the forum, and hopefully we can work something out as I would actually like to try the product again because I do not want to take chances with scratched tint and having tint redone.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Looking for a side chick

I've also expressed a less-than-perfect experience with James' product in another thread and in that thread posted the following:

In the spirit of full disclosure...

Just wanted to point out several things:

- First, I bought Tint Protector moleskins based upon what I thought to be very positive customer feedback
- I received my product in a very timely manner and found it to have fairly comprehensive instructions
- The stuff is sticky as hell! For the life of me, I can't imagine it coming off which is why I'm disappointed at my situation
- I never contacted Tint Protector to seek any sort of assistance. Therefore, I can not say what options I would have been given. Shame on me.
- I'm not bashing Tint Protector, I'm simply saying that, as with any product, things don't always work out perfectly and this has been MY experience. YMMV, etc. etc.

In fairness, wanted to give all aspects of the story.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
One of the things I noticed when installing moleskin, is that it can be very tricky to install right. The blades need to be very thoroughly cleaned first, and when putting the moleskin on, its hard to get it to set right.

If I were to do this again, I would measure out the widths of the blades and try prefolding the moleskin according to those measurements and put some weight on it for awhile, so it gets a natural fold. This way I can make sure the moleskin is fully applied to the blade and it might not keep trying to come undone.