3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tl type s j35z6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Anyone else attempted a j37 swap in 3rd gen tls??

Just curious as to who else has done this swap. I know theres an auto type s in cali with j37a1. And there another on ig. Havent seen a 6speed j37 yet tho
Old 01-29-2019, 02:25 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
What I'm trying to figure out is, why someone would bother. The issue is the cylinder liners used in the J37, which, under perfect conditions are hard and can last a long time, however, in the real world, the J37s seem to be dropping like flies with severe oil consumption issues.

If I REALLY wanted a larger displacement motor than a J35 I'd be much more inclined to source a J37 crank and rods and put them in a J35 block; this in turn will give you a "J36"; nearly the displacement of the J37 but with the ruggedness of a J35.
The following users liked this post:
JavierC24 (05-15-2023)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
What I'm trying to figure out is, why someone would bother. The issue is the cylinder liners used in the J37, which, under perfect conditions are hard and can last a long time, however, in the real world, the J37s seem to be dropping like flies with severe oil consumption issues.

If I REALLY wanted a larger displacement motor than a J35 I'd be much more inclined to source a J37 crank and rods and put them in a J35 block; this in turn will give you a "J36"; nearly the displacement of the J37 but with the ruggedness of a J35.

its all about the torque. Torque wins races. And plus i hang out with vqphilly. Trying to chase down and walk around acouple vqs this summer lol J36 is more involved and requires alot more work. J35 be burning oil as well but i rarely see them actually breakdown. Most of the oil consumption problems comes from bad cats. The cat material breaks aparts and gets sucked back into motor. Causing the rings to go and oil consumption. At least from own personal experiences. Ive replaced acouple motors cause of bad cats last year. From gen 1 mdx to 3rd gen tls.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Instructor

I also had extra motors laying around and i wanted to try the j37 swap. Didnt cost me much. Couple gaskets and seals and the motor was back together. J37a1 short block with my original j35 heads. Probably cost me like 200 bucks in parts. So why not if i bought it with a bad motor.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM
Latent car nut

Well then if you don't care to have a motor with some longevity, they what the hell, knock yourself out.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Well then if you don't care to have a motor with some longevity, they what the hell, knock yourself out.

why the negativity??
Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
didn't OP claim he got J37 swapped? I am now confuse...
Old 01-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by truonghthe
didn't OP claim he got J37 swapped? I am now confuse...
its done but clutch slipping. Arent you the guy that said it doesnt bolt on?? Lmao trying to clown me but you havent even tried it. Nsx motor is next now lmao
Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gumby309
its done but clutch slipping. Arent you the guy that said it doesnt bolt on?? Lmao trying to clown me but you havent even tried it. Nsx motor is next now lmao
WUT?

I am totally understand you finally got your hand on your dream car.... take it easy and dream big bro.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:21 PM
Instructor

WUT?

I am totally understand you finally got your hand on your dream car.... take it easy and dream big bro.

def not dream car but i do love it. Dont talk smack if you cant handle the smoke. Im not about the drama or negativity, but dont try to clown other people for trying something you cant do yourself. Nice tl btw.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Pics?
Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Pics?
i have pics in my new members post
Old 01-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Post them here.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Couple pics from the j37 project.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Tl

2007 j37/j35 hybrid tl type s 6speed

J37a1(gen 1) short block

6speed 07 tl type s trans

Everything out and ready to get cleaned up

Cleaning engine bay

Subframe cleaned up

Under the knife for the j37 swap.

J35a8 motor and trans out the car

J37a1(gen 1) short block / j35a8 07 tl type s 6speed heads
teh CL (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

def not dream car but i do love it. Dont talk smack if you cant handle the smoke. Im not about the drama or negativity, but dont try to clown other people for trying something you cant do yourself. Nice tl btw.

NSX swap? lol if you ask several member as OG owners... which deal business within the past to see if I am blowing smoke. Earlier this year a local Acura dealer cut me a deal (which I declined) for a 2019 NSX track package. I would love to see you go and trying test drive one yourself lmao.

like I said "congrats on your dream car" and IF you got a J37 swap congrats because YOUR J37 slow as ball. The only thing you can beat on the street is a Geo Prism, yes that right I said that, if you want to prove me wrong then feel please to meet me at Circuit of the Americas or Royal Purple speedway. BTW it an even happen every year around March-April (Texas 2k), I would love to run with people that has skill running their car instead of their mouth.... especially over the internet. Please if you can't run your car at least stick with IG with straight pipe TL group .

BTW since you compliment nice TL... which one you are referring to?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:59 PM
Instructor

NSX swap? lol if you ask several member as OG owners... which deal business within the past to see if I am blowing smoke. Earlier this year a local Acura dealer cut me a deal (which I declined) for a 2019 NSX track package. I would love to see you go and trying test drive one yourself lmao.

like I said "congrats on your dream car" and IF you got a J37 swap congrats because YOUR J37 slow as ball. The only thing you can beat on the street is a Geo Prism, yes that right I said that, if you want to prove me wrong then feel please to meet me at Circuit of the Americas or Royal Purple speedway. BTW it an even happen every year around March-April (Texas 2k), I would love to run with people that has skill running their car instead of their mouth.... especially over the internet. Please if you can't run your car at least stick with IG with straight pipe TL group .

BTW since you compliment nice TL... which one you are referring to?

just need to be a douchebag huh?? Why must people always hate? You're the only person running they mouth. Why even say all that you said. Shit dont affect me playa. Keep doing you and ima do me. Lmao my j37 tl trash, i know. But you drive the same car? Like wtf? Imao if you think my shit slow then your shit even worse. We not race cars playa. But i dont mind have extra torque any day of the week.
Databala (05-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Shit is crazy. We all drive the same car. But people wanna hate still. Like wtf?? Im confused. Thought we all suppose to be on the same team. Acurite fellas. Dont be douchebags.
Databala (05-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Latent car nut

Shit is crazy. We all drive the same car. But people wanna hate still. Like wtf?? Im confused. Thought we all suppose to be on the same team. Acurite fellas. Dont be douchebags.
What's with the attitude? From what I've seen,the beginning of D-Baggy comments around here all started with you.
truonghthe (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Instructor

What's with the attitude? From what I've seen,the beginning of D-Baggy comments around here all started with you.

what??? Where was i at for dbag comments horseshoez? Lol cmon, i just joined acurazine and yall came at me and said how the swap cant be direct bolt on and that j37 swap is trash. Lmao people always gonna hate but yall just wanna be negative in anyway possible. Like i said, not about the drama or negitivity. The j37 swap is done and works. When i have time to do the clutch and flywheel ill have videos of it beating geo prisms all day. Lmao "cant we all just get along?" 🤣🤣🤣 #teamacura #acrite
LongLurkerTL12 (07-26-2020)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Latent car nut

The J37 is trash, but I never said it wouldn't bolt up. You can't shoot the messenger for something like that, and if you don't like the advice, just do a little work on your own, this site and many other Honda/Acura sites are full of folks complaining about J37s.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Instructor

The J37 is trash, but I never said it wouldn't bolt up. You can't shoot the messenger for something like that, and if you don't like the advice, just do a little work on your own, this site and many other Honda/Acura sites are full of folks complaining about J37s.
Well idk about any oil problems with the motor i have. And thats all that matters. If i come across it one day, ill def update that. But like i said, people gonna hate b. Im not affected by it. You say j37 is trash but to each their own. J37 equals more torque to me. And thats what im looking for. Btw you didnt give advice, you gave your opinion on how its just trash lmao.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:25 PM
Latent car nut

Well idk about any oil problems with the motor i have. And thats all that matters. If i come across it one day, ill def update that. But like i said, people gonna hate b. Im not affected by it. You say j37 is trash but to each their own. J37 equals more torque to me. And thats what im looking for. Btw you didnt give advice, you gave your opinion on how its just trash lmao.
The J37 is a failed example of the J-Series engines; this isn't my opinion, this is well established fact. Want some proof, do a little research of your own, that and look at the production run of the J37; this engine was terminated in 2014, however, the seemingly less desirable J35 is still in production and all indications are it will remain so for quite a few more years.

Why would Honda kill off the more powerful motor in the midst of a horsepower race and keep its lower powered sibling in production? Simple answer, because of the high failure rate of J37s, Honda pulled the plug; they know the engine isn't worth salvaging.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I been here a long time and see alot of innovation of people trying to tune 3g TL using different route.

1. Comptech supercharge kit.... 1st on the 04-06 TL then later on to 07-08 TL-S.
2. All motor built with goal set 300 whp, couple members here actually achieved that status.
3. J&R Turbo with full stand alone kit.
4. Andy Supercharge replace the A/C permanently.

not too many of them success except for Andy route, even tho its has a draw back... The fastest 3G TL I ever seen is low 12s and that is all motor on spray with drag radial, all the tune method has been a bust so far until Andy change the game and I think its possible because Hondata Flash pro. Even tho you will have a hard time to find a reputable tuner for a dyno tune, so "Playa" lets see how deep is your pocket playa.

In modern car its the PCM and/or TCM that control everything and everything else is tie into a central system, yes you have 3.7 motor but your PCM still running on 3.5 parameters along with miss match fuel mapping so congrats on swapping a 200cc of extra displacement that not put to full use. Hell going from a 2JZGE to FULL 2JZGET already cost a left kidney (hence they have wide aftermarket part support available). Sorry but our TL isn't your grand father 65 Camaro where you can swap out the motor, manually tune air fuel ratio and go fast.

Instead of proper introduction and you shall receive credit and you can find plenty of other example set before you... however this attitude of "I am the shit" without really alot of modern mechanic incline really gonna give you "shit". Its not I can't do the work myself but I am tired "making slow car fast", Honda engineer is pretty good at squeez power out of the stock engine. Mod it without what to expect will leave you with expensive repair bill. You have one coming but since "playa" got that attitude I will let you learn the hard way.

BTW you "playa" remind me of guys on online forum talking about x is better than y, its all good until a real race happens end up loosing the race and bitch and moan about the other guy car has 1 gallon of gasoline less than his, oh my tire isn't track rated, but he got a struts brace, he on coil, he use launch control etc.... Blah blah blah I seen them all... GTFO. Either shut up and run your car like a man or GTFO and go to IG and showing casing your straight pipe automobile.

FIY burn out and loud exhaust doesn't win race. BTW an N54/N55 with stage 2 will dust your ass all day long regardless of 3.2,3.5 or 3.7
Old 01-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Instructor

The J37 is a failed example of the J-Series engines; this isn't my opinion, this is well established fact. Want some proof, do a little research of your own, that and look at the production run of the J37; this engine was terminated in 2014, however, the seemingly less desirable J35 is still in production and all indications are it will remain so for quite a few more years.

Why would Honda kill off the more powerful motor in the midst of a horsepower race and keep its lower powered sibling in production? Simple answer, because of the high failure rate of J37s, Honda pulled the plug; they know the engine isn't worth salvaging.

lmao to each they own. Have you owned a j37?? They pull hard as hell. Why wouldnt you want the most powerful honda v6 ever built?? I have enough knowledge and know to replace motor if it is burning oil. But if she pulls hard and i keep my eye on the oil. We should be straight. And once again, your just expressing your opinion from things you've read. But has it happen to you? I know j35 guys burning oil. All you can do is keep an eye on it. Drive a j37 tl type s and youll feel the difference. 😁😁😁
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Instructor

I been here a long time and see alot of innovation of people trying to tune 3g TL using different route.

1. Comptech supercharge kit.... 1st on the 04-06 TL then later on to 07-08 TL-S.
2. All motor built with goal set 300 whp, couple members here actually achieved that status.
3. J&R Turbo with full stand alone kit.
4. Andy Supercharge replace the A/C permanently.

not too many of them success except for Andy route, even tho its has a draw back... The fastest 3G TL I ever seen is low 12s and that is all motor on spray with drag radial, all the tune method has been a bust so far until Andy change the game and I think its possible because Hondata Flash pro. Even tho you will have a hard time to find a reputable tuner for a dyno tune, so "Playa" lets see how deep is your pocket playa.

In modern car its the PCM and/or TCM that control everything and everything else is tie into a central system, yes you have 3.7 motor but your PCM still running on 3.5 parameters along with miss match fuel mapping so congrats on swapping a 200cc of extra displacement that not put to full use. Hell going from a 2JZGE to FULL 2JZGET already cost a left kidney (hence they have wide aftermarket part support available). Sorry but our TL isn't your grand father 65 Camaro where you can swap out the motor, manually tune air fuel ratio and go fast.

Instead of proper introduction and you shall receive credit and you can find plenty of other example set before you... however this attitude of "I am the shit" without really alot of modern mechanic incline really gonna give you "shit". Its not I can't do the work myself but I am tired "making slow car fast", Honda engineer is pretty good at squeez power out of the stock engine. Mod it without what to expect will leave you with expensive repair bill. You have one coming but since "playa" got that attitude I will let you learn the hard way.

BTW you "playa" remind me of guys on online forum talking about x is better than y, its all good until a real race happens end up loosing the race and bitch and moan about the other guy car has 1 gallon of gasoline less than his, oh my tire isn't track rated, but he got a struts brace, he on coil, he use launch control etc.... Blah blah blah I seen them all... GTFO. Either shut up and run your car like a man or GTFO and go to IG and showing casing your straight pipe automobile.

FIY burn out and loud exhaust doesn't win race. BTW an N54/N55 with stage 2 will dust your ass all day long regardless of 3.2,3.5 or 3.7

nobody said im the shit nor was acting like that but you "playa". You so butt hurt you getting crazy thoughts in your head "playa." Im done going back and forth with you trolls. Instead of congrats and how easy was the swap, yall just wanna bash people. You think we gonna run it untuned as well??? Lmao 👌👌👌 and yes a n54/n55 would win lmao its boosted and its not fwd. Cmon "playa" Idk what you trying to prove here. Like i said before to horseshoez, tl is not a fast car nor will it ever be. Im just doing this to get that low end torque we so desperately need. Btw theres a fbo 07 tl type s 6speed with 325whp. Its can be done. 300whp isnt hard anymore. 300wtq is the goal now. What car are you building since the tl is too slow for ya?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Latent car nut

nobody said im the shit nor was acting like that but you "playa". You so butt hurt you getting crazy thoughts in your head "playa." Im done going back and forth with you trolls. Instead of congrats and how easy was the swap, yall just wanna bash people. You think we gonna run it untuned as well??? Lmao 👌👌👌 and yes a n54/n55 would win lmao its boosted and its not fwd. Cmon "playa" Idk what you trying to prove here. Like i said before to horseshoez, tl is not a fast car nor will it ever be. Im just doing this to get that low end torque we so desperately need. Btw theres a fbo 07 tl type s 6speed with 325whp. Its can be done. 300whp isnt hard anymore. 300wtq is the goal now. What car are you building since the tl is too slow for ya?
Uhhh, what?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 349 Posts
Anybody do a j35 to 4 banger swap? http://gif.co/vxuu.gif
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Latent car nut

lmao to each they own. Have you owned a j37?? They pull hard as hell. Why wouldnt you want the most powerful honda v6 ever built?? I have enough knowledge and know to replace motor if it is burning oil. But if she pulls hard and i keep my eye on the oil. We should be straight. And once again, your just expressing your opinion from things you've read. But has it happen to you? I know j35 guys burning oil. All you can do is keep an eye on it. Drive a j37 tl type s and youll feel the difference. 😁😁😁
Like I wrote earlier, if you don't care about having a long term reliable engine, knock yourself out.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Like I wrote earlier, if you don't care about having a long term reliable engine, knock yourself out.

ive seen enough 07-09 mdxs with over or close to 200k. Reliability is there. Like any used car over 10years old, they gonna have some little things here and there to which you're going to have to live with. If it burns oil, guess ima have to check it often. As i would do anyways with any old car with 100k.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Anybody do a j35 to 4 banger swap? http://gif.co/vxuu.gif
Why not? That would be crazy to hear a boosted kswap tl reving up to 9krpm. Lol
Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

leave this young buck be, he got alot to learn. This is what happen when you have young buck thinking his car is bad ass in town, anyhow Horseshoez you need to come visit Hennessy Performance shop lol.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Instructor

leave this young buck be, he got alot to learn. This is what happen when you have young buck thinking his car is bad ass in town, anyhow Horseshoez you need to come visit Hennessy Performance shop
Lmao Old or young, theres always room for knowledge. Car is far from bad ass. Its a Stock tl with a stock j37 swap. We just made it to our own liking. Thankful for the best team/family to help with this project. Theres no hostility here. We all here to share info on different things we what or can do with our tls. Your negativity is real. Once again, "Cant we all just get along" ������

Last edited by thoiboi; 01-30-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 AM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
...Btw theres a fbo 07 tl type s 6speed with 325whp. Its can be done. 300whp isnt hard anymore. 300wtq is the goal now...
The highest numbers I've ever seen from a FBO, stock-interal 3.5 TL-S 6spd were approx. 310-315whp. If you have a dyno chart I'd be interested in seeing it, as I've never heard of numbers that high. 300wtq from just a FBO, stock-interal 3.5 is not possible.

In regards to oil consumption, it is indeed a serious issue on the J37A's. To my knowledge Acura has never released a TSB or any other kind of acknowledging statement; people who are under still under warranty at the time the consumption is discovered are having their short-blocks replaced with identical short-blocks, only for the problem to resurface. The thread below documents an owner who is now on his 3rd replacement motor and still having consumption issues.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-generation-tl-2009-2014-123/acuras-response-excessive-oil-consumption-939258/

There is a solution to the consumption, but it involves altering the oil blend and running boost, which is not feasible for most people.

Last edited by mb.3g; 01-30-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by mdnborg
The highest numbers I've ever seen from a FBO, stock-interal 3.5 TL-S 6spd were approx. 310-315whp. If you have a dyno chart I'd be interested in seeing it, as I've never heard of numbers that high. 300wtq from just a FBO, stock-interal 3.5 is not possible.

In regards to oil consumption, it is indeed a serious issue on the J37A's. To my knowledge Acura has never released a TSB or any other kind of acknowledging statement; people who are under still under warranty at the time the consumption is discovered are having their short-blocks replaced with identical short-blocks, only for the problem to resurface. The thread below documents an owner who is now on his 3rd replacement motor and still having consumption issues.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...mption-939258/

There is a solution to the consumption, but it involves altering the oil blend and running boost, which is not feasible for most people.
Actually recently Acura has Released a TSB and extended the warranty on all 3.7 motors for excessive oil consumption and clearly acknowledged the problem. So they are standing behind their product and fixing all 3.7s that have excessive oil consumption regardless of mileage for the next 6 months, then it is 8 years after purchase or 200,000 km.
Acura Canada sent a letter to all Canadian 3.7 owners stating as much.

See TSB 19-006 - Warranty Extension: Engine Oil Consumption Exceeds Client Expectations in the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 TSB threads.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...-today-975428/

Last edited by dopeboy1; 01-30-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Old 01-30-2019, 10:01 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Actually recently Acura has Released a TSB and extended the warranty on all 3.7 motors for excessive oil consumption and clearly acknowledged the problem. So they are standing behind their product and fixing all 3.7s that have excessive oil consumption regardless of mileage for the next 6 months, then it is 8 years after purchase or 200,000 km.
While I applaud Honda's approach to standing behind the 3.7 and helping customers out, that in no way means it is a good motor.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Love the J37 swap. Torque > *

Folks definitely love to shit on the J37 & while some have oil consumption issues, there are plenty that are perfectly fine.

Traction must be ridiculous...
Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I read through the whole thread & there is definitely unnecessary shit talking which isn't on you at all. Not even worth the effort for you to respond.

You should definitely create a build thread for your car. I'm sure there are plenty of ppl that would love info on a J37 swap. I've preached it for a while lol.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by teh CL
I read through the whole thread & there is definitely unnecessary shit talking which isn't on you at all. Not even worth the effort for you to respond.

You should definitely create a build thread for your car. I'm sure there are plenty of ppl that would love info on a J37 swap. I've preached it for a while lol.

Thanks bro!! Def gonna keep updates on the forum. But the torque is great now. Even with slipping clutch. People wanna always tell you why you shouldn't or can't do this or that. Its all love. They just trying to let me know about the oil consumption. I haven't had any issue and if i do, I'll have to address them. Not a big deal. The power and torque worth it in my own opinion

Quick Reply: 07 tl type s j35z6 swap