Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL Synthetic Transmission Fluid VS Redline D4 ATF

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I understand that after each 3Q fill you should drive the car so it passes through all the gears to mix both old & new fluid.... now here is the question I have ... can this be done on the lift?

Would save a lot of time ...
Any information you read in my reply post is information about my experience only and should not be done by the unexperienced. I am not responsible for any injury, casualties, or damages done by anyone attempting to do what I have explained below.
Yes you can do it on a lift or jack stands. I raised the front of the car and put it on jack stands. Next I put blocks in front of both rear wheels, set the parking brake and drove through all the gears including reverse. You have to however let the trans fluid get warm each time so the torqe converter goes into lockup to get the fluid in there as well. In my case I had to turn off the VSA and manually shift through all the gears. I was also listening and looking around for animals and children during the process. The parking brake will continue to display a message and beep at you which can be annoying because the car thinks you are driving around with the parking brake engaged. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It can be done on the lift but it's not very safe. Make sure you have a friend video you doing that...it could get a lot of views on youtube.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 04 TL 62k miles on it. i've never used a different TF fluid but Z1 from acura dealer, i recently order the #3 and #4 pressure switches and seal gaskets and are waiting to arrive. my question is: how should i start introducing the new redline racing TF fluid to the engine transmission along with the new switches? i see everything from 3x3 and all kinds of stuff and i'm still confuse lol.. thanks for any imput
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djflex167
i have a 04 TL 62k miles on it. i've never used a different TF fluid but Z1 from acura dealer, i recently order the #3 and #4 pressure switches and seal gaskets and are waiting to arrive. my question is: how should i start introducing the new redline racing TF fluid to the engine transmission along with the new switches? i see everything from 3x3 and all kinds of stuff and i'm still confuse lol.. thanks for any imput
Do a search for the DIY about the ATF change. The 3X3 is correct, I just did it myself 2 weeks ago. It's quite easy and my car feels great after putting in the Type F.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Exclamation

Hey, IHateCars,

You seem to know a good deal about these trannys... Are the 06-07 (really 03-07) Accord V6 5at's the same as the 04+ TL 5at's? Are there any differences?

Would Redline type F work just the same in my rebuilt 5at with 15k miles on it?

ALSO.... The new Honda DW1 synthetic atf.... How does that compare to Redline? Should I still go with Redline type F?

Thanks much
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by FollowingNFront
Hey, IHateCars,

You seem to know a good deal about these trannys... Are the 06-07 (really 03-07) Accord V6 5at's the same as the 04+ TL 5at's? Are there any differences?

ALSO.... The new Honda DW1 synthetic atf.... How does that compare to Redline? Should I still go with Redline type F?

Thanks much
Not sure what IHC is going to say but I've heard Racing in Accord makes the transmission very rough. I'd go with D-4, Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Dw-1
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Made in America
Not sure what IHC is going to say but I've heard Racing in Accord makes the transmission very rough. I'd go with D-4, Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Dw-1
Where did you hear that?

7th gen Accord and 3rd gen TL trannies have same internals.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
10th Gear

Where did you hear that?

7th gen Accord and 3rd gen TL trannies have same internals.
I think the TL has about 100 more horse power and requires premium gas. It's not the same engine. Not sure about the transmission but someone tried Racing aft over on BITOG on their Accord with negative results. Studdering and rough shifting.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Instructor

I think the TL has about 100 more horse power and requires premium gas. It's not the same engine. Not sure about the transmission but someone tried Racing aft over on BITOG on their Accord with negative results. Studdering and rough shifting.
Lol the TL doesn't have 100 more horsepower. The 06 AV6 has the 3.0. It has 244hp. The TL has the 3.2 and pushes what? 265hp I think? Given the weight difference, the cars are neck and neck in a straight line.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

Lol the TL doesn't have 100 more horsepower. The 06 AV6 has the 3.0. It has 244hp. The TL has the 3.2 and pushes what? 265hp I think? Given the weight difference, the cars are neck and neck in a straight line.

I've driven an Accord. It's not even close.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Correction, under the same SAE regulations that rate the Accord at 244hp, the TL (3.2) is rated at 258hp. Not a major difference... And the Accord can take premium and when it does, according to a Honda engineer (in 06 I believe), when premium is used in the Accord V6 (7/7.5 Gen) over a few tanks, the ECU adapts and a change of 10 horsepower can be seen. How that accurately translates, Idk... But either way, just staying with stock SAE regulated numbers, its 244hp to 258hp.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Instructor

I've driven an Accord. It's not even close.
I don't know what Accord you drove, but there are videos I can link you to, and posts with real statistical data out there somewhere. Its facts my friend
Old 03-31-2011, 03:31 PM
10th Gear

I don't know what Accord you drove, but there are videos I can link you to, and posts with real statistical data out there somewhere. Its facts my friend
Cool. Since it's the same car you should go ahead and use Redline Racing. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Cool. Since it's the same car you should go ahead and use Redline Racing. Let us know how it goes.
This isn't a dick measuring contest, I know the TL has more hp and all that. I never said they were the same car, but your TL has a fat ass and the Accord is lighter. I just looked on CarAndDriver, and for 0-60 times for both cars, car and driver has them BOTH rated at 5.9 seconds (both 6mt)... And on Consumerguideauto, for 5at, they have both cars at 7.0 seconds to 60mph. They are probably being conservative on both counts because I know with my old transmission (in the mountains) I clocked my 0-60 at 6.75 seconds with my AV6. Wouldv'e probably been lower at a lower altitude.

Anyway, my point is, not that the Accord is the same as the TL, because its not. I love TLs and I know they are more of a luxury car. I'm just saying that even though your TL has more hp, doesn't mean its leaps and bounds faster.

I'm still waiting on a response from I Hate Cars and Innacurate in another thread before I pull the trigger just yet.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Instructor

*when I said "they were probably being conservative on both parts", I meant consumerguideauto was probably being conservative for both the TL and Accord. CarandDriver's 5.9 is pretty accurate for a 6mt AV6
Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
When you guys are doing the 3x3 are you able to access the trans drain plug from the drivers side just by jacking up the car on on side and using a jack stand?

Mine is dropped a bit and I can't run it up on ramps etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
When you guys are doing the 3x3 are you able to access the trans drain plug from the drivers side just by jacking up the car on on side and using a jack stand?

Mine is dropped a bit and I can't run it up on ramps etc.
When I did mine I jacked up the entire front end, not just one side. It MIGHT be possible to just do the driver's side but I'm not sure. It also might not drain as well?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Hey I Hate Cars, if I'm on my 2x3 with Amsoil ATF would you suggest me do another 3x3 with Redline? I already did the pressure switches, everything shifts fine and don't really want to wast the $60 I already spent on the 2x3? Is Amsoil ok compared to the racing fluid? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

I post this because i have read the entire thread...to the cast (IHC, Innacurate and On the Job and the admin) Wow. passionate, well informed (well, some of you) it was a great.

I have an 08 with 39800 miles and still under warranty.
-Im getting redline racing atf this week (ebay 12 bottles for 130 shipped)
-getting all 3 switches changed next month (its an 08 so it has 3)
-Not telling dealrship about it, i doubt they will ever check the tranny(unless i specifically tell them too) to keep my warranty.

IHC - I wanted to show you your efforts are not in vain, peopel will continue to stumble upon this thread and good great tranny saving info for years to come.

thanks again, ill keep you posted.

carlos
Old 04-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Hey, IHateCars,

Thanks much
You should experience the same results as the TLs do. Quicker, snappier shifts yet more comfortable too. It's the same car basically, same trans and DBW. The sooner you can get the fluid in the new trans the better.

DW1 is a thinner fluid made for better mpg for increasing fuel economy standards. You might see .5mpg max if you live in a very cold area, even less in a warmer area.

You have to realize, people on bitog are less educated on this subject than people on acurazine. There are only a handful of people on bitog that know anything about oil but every person becomes an overnight expert and every person gives out dangerous advice without knowing what they're saying or why. I've seen horrendous advice given by people who can't change their own oil yet try to come across as experts.

These same people told me my transmission would fail from using Amsoil "ATD". That was 80,000 miles ago. I would put as much emphasis on that board's opinion as I would advice from my 2yr old niece.

I have personally used type F in the non DBW 4speed trans of the '99 TL, the 2nd gen 5at, and of course the 3g. There are no ill effects whatsoever. I'll guarantee the reports of shudder are guesses of what would happen by people who have never tried it. Those people are full of shit.

Originally Posted by hoolagen1
I post this because i have read the entire thread...to the cast (IHC, Innacurate and On the Job and the admin) Wow. passionate, well informed (well, some of you) it was a great.

I have an 08 with 39800 miles and still under warranty.
-Im getting redline racing atf this week (ebay 12 bottles for 130 shipped)
-getting all 3 switches changed next month (its an 08 so it has 3)
-Not telling dealrship about it, i doubt they will ever check the tranny(unless i specifically tell them too) to keep my warranty.

IHC - I wanted to show you your efforts are not in vain, peopel will continue to stumble upon this thread and good great tranny saving info for years to come.

thanks again, ill keep you posted.

carlos
Thanks, can't wait to hear your results.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm making the switch to Redline Racing ATF from Redline Hi-Temp as well.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

Hey, IHateCars,

Thanks much
Just found this guy in the main Racing ATF thread with an '03 Accord.
Originally Posted by alpha2beta
I can say I have a 2003 Accord Coupe V6 5AT and i did the switches and Amsoil super shift type F fluid and it made a major difference to it, way better shifting night and day plus my double bump going into drive went away. So i can confirm that it works very good in the accord. I also did the same for My 2007 Acura TL Base with the same positive results as the accord just not as major since the Accord has 182,000 mils on it and the TL has 51,000.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Racer

Answer mine I hate cars!! Thank you!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
What size wrench fits the trans drain plug? Just so I have it with me when I go to do it.

TYIA
Old 04-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
So I just got an 08 TL-S 5AT with 37k miles and I plan on changing out the ATF to Red Line, and I wanted to verify that Red Line Racing ATF is the better fluid and not Red Line D4, correct? Also, should I change out my switches as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Racin.../dp/B000T9TM8S
Good deal?

Next question, if i had to keep changing my ATF every 30k miles or so, this would get expensive, once I do the 3x3 with 12 quarts, would I just need 4 quarts for future ATF changes?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Answer mine I hate cars!! Thank you!
If you're on the Amsoil "ATF", I suggest you do another 3x3 with either the Redline "racing" or Amsoil "Super Shift". Both are the better Type-F fluids. If you already did the Amsoil "Super Shift", no need for more changes. I know it sucks to spend more money but it's very worth it because the Type-F fluid will make a significant difference in how long your trans will last.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
So I just got an 08 TL-S 5AT with 37k miles and I plan on changing out the ATF to Red Line, and I wanted to verify that Red Line Racing ATF is the better fluid and not Red Line D4, correct? Also, should I change out my switches as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Racin.../dp/B000T9TM8S
Good deal?

Next question, if i had to keep changing my ATF every 30k miles or so, this would get expensive, once I do the 3x3 with 12 quarts, would I just need 4 quarts for future ATF changes?
"Racing" is what you want. Once you've completed a 3x3 of this fluid you no longer have to change your fluid every 30k. 50k would be very conservative. If you add better filtration like a magnafine filter (which is super easy on a TL-S for $25), there's no reason you can't go 100,000 miles on a fluid change safely.

If you plan on extending the change interval to 100,000 miles I suggest you do a 1x3 of the racing fluid and drive around for 100 miles or so and then do another. The reason being is you want as much of the "junk" in the trans to be cleaned by the new fluid and drained out of there before you seal it up for 100k.

The big difference in this fluid vs Z1 is when you have to change Z1 you're changing it to get all of the old clutch material out of the trans and to get the old worn out fluid out. With the Redline, the fluid does not wear out (in less than 100k) so the only reason you have to change the fluid is to get any wear particles out. However, clutch wear is virtually eliminated so you pretty much never have to change this fluid once you get all of the old junk out. D4 won't wear out either but you'll have a lot more clutch wear in the fluid which will have to be changed.

Last edited by I hate cars; 04-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Good to know I hate cars! How about the switches, should I change them out? Also, will changing to red line racing ATF void my powertrain warranty? Thanks for your response!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Racer

Where is everyone getting the redline fluids, any specific store or website for good pricing?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Where is everyone getting the redline fluids, any specific store or website for good pricing?
Amazon mostly. That's where I got mine.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Racer

I hate cars, so I wasted $65! Ahhhh! Anywho you suggest using straight up Racing ATF with no mixture of d4? Just want to verify before I drop $100 on racing ATF alone. Also I won't notice harsher shifts because of the less fm?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Team Owner

I hate cars, so I wasted $65! Ahhhh! Anywho you suggest using straight up Racing ATF with no mixture of d4? Just want to verify before I drop $100 on racing ATF alone. Also I won't notice harsher shifts because of the less fm?
I wouldn't say wasted, Amsoil ATF and Redline D4 are still way better than Z1 but the racing fluid is still the best.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Racer

So about the rest of the questions? Lol thanks!- noob
Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Racer

I just bought my 04 auto TL last month, and she has 140,000 on her. I believe the car has always used Z1, and I think I should do a 3x3 and use RR ATF, but I wonder if my trany is used to the old shit and the new stuff could shock it and cause more harm than good? I'm not that mechanically inclined, I just worry about putting racing fluid into a tranny that has never seen it at 140,000.

I'm assuming I need to do a 3x3 with RR ATF, and change the paper filter and 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensors?

What about Amsoil, Royal Purple ATF, or D4 for my higher mileage situation?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Racer

also, dear I Hate Cars, if I want to do a 3x3, the first 1x3 I just need 3 quarts of RR ATF? it drains out 3 quarts, so you put 3 new quarts in, right?

(I'd rather budget it where I only spend about $40 three different times than $120 at once)

and are you 100% sure the Redline Racing ATF is the #1 BEST choice for my 04 TL with 140,000 miles that has never seen anything but Z1? (just making sure before I purchase lol)
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gogators22
also, dear I Hate Cars, if I want to do a 3x3, the first 1x3 I just need 3 quarts of RR ATF? it drains out 3 quarts, so you put 3 new quarts in, right?

(I'd rather budget it where I only spend about $40 three different times than $120 at once)

and are you 100% sure the Redline Racing ATF is the #1 BEST choice for my 04 TL with 140,000 miles that has never seen anything but Z1? (just making sure before I purchase lol)
Yep. Run their "racing" fluid. I like they way you're doing it better. Do a 3x1, wait a month or more and do another or do a 3x1 or just do it at each engine oil change. This way you don't have to worry about the fresh fluid cleaning as harshly and freeing up some crap that may plug up parts of the trans can cause problems.

Another alternative is Amsoil "Super Shift". It's the equivalent of the Redline racing, both are the type f fluid that you want but Amsoil is a little closer to stock viscosity. Either will work fine.

If you haven't done them, I would do the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches asap. It willl shift better than new when you're done. Both the switches and fluid greatly reduce wear and it's important to do them as quick as possible. Once you do this clutch wear will almost stop entirely.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yep. Run their "racing" fluid. I like they way you're doing it better. Do a 3x1, wait a month or more and do another or do a 3x1 or just do it at each engine oil change. This way you don't have to worry about the fresh fluid cleaning as harshly and freeing up some crap that may plug up parts of the trans can cause problems.

Another alternative is Amsoil "Super Shift". It's the equivalent of the Redline racing, both are the type f fluid that you want but Amsoil is a little closer to stock viscosity. Either will work fine.

If you haven't done them, I would do the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches asap. It willl shift better than new when you're done. Both the switches and fluid greatly reduce wear and it's important to do them as quick as possible. Once you do this clutch wear will almost stop entirely.
cool, can you provide me with the part #'s for the correct 3rd and 4th pressure switches, as I saw a discrepancy in another thread and want to ask you.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 PM
4th Gear

This is what you want...

90471-PW7-A00 GASKET (10MM) - 2 of these
28610-RAY-003 SWITCH ASSY., AT OIL PRESSURE (TEXAS INSTRUMENTS)
28600-RAY-003 SWITCH ASSY., AT OIL PRESSURE (TEXAS INSTRUMENTS)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars

I am having a problem creating an account on amsoil's website. Is there another site you could recommend for their sport shift fluid? It seems like that would be a safer choice with my high mileage than the RR ATF.. unless I'm wrong, then I'll order it.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

What swiches need to be changed out for a TL-S? Just to verify, I need 9 quarts to do a 3x3, right?

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Synthetic Transmission Fluid VS Redline D4 ATF