Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL Synthetic Transmission Fluid VS Redline D4 ATF

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Redline is not wrong. They #1 are covering their asses and #2 have not tested this fluid in a Honda so how can they recommend it?

Honda has the highest AT failure rate of any manufacturer. There are two reasons, the fluid and the failed switches. Either I #1 know more than Honda or #2 Honda just doesn't care.

The number of saved transmissions from the fluid and swtiches on this site alone speaks for itself.
I can see the switch issue, so the d4 is the safest fluid since there is no mixing required and has SOME FM, unlike the type F? Thus not creating the shuddering and chatter from the COMPLETE LACK OF FM like the adding of type F only, is this correct?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by OntheJob
I can see the switch issue, so the d4 is the safest fluid since there is no mixing required, like the type F? Thus not creating the shuddering and chatter. is this correct?
If you can calm down for a few posts I will go over the entire thing from start to finish, how's that?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

If you can calm down for a few posts I will go over the entire thing from start to finish, how's that?
Yeah no sweat, sorry if the tone and inflection seems that way... Im just writing as normal.. and yes that would be stellar, cause I do like this site and want to contribute.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the Job, if you don't want to use Red Line Racing, don't use it!! Jeeezz!! All you want to do is argue. As IHC and Inaccurate and others have said, there are plenty of members on here who have implemented these changes to the transmission and are very happy with the results. (Me included). I have read a few responses where they stated that they didn't feel any difference after the change, but I have not seen one response where the changes caused any problems! Has anybody? My dealer still does not believe me that changing the 3/4 sensors took care of the transmission problem that I was having! They had never heard of that remedy, even from Honda Corp! Of course their fix to the problem was a new transmission at my expense! By reading the advice on here and reading the results of others, I saved myself $$$. I just appreciate others on here that are more knowledgeable about such things than I will ever be, sharing their knowledge and experience. That's what makes this such a great forum, in my humble opinion! The cold weather must be getting to you down there in Orlando!! Give it a break!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

From the beginning lol..

In ANY auto, quicker shifts = less wear. The auto's shifts should be timed in miliseconds. It doesn't matter if it's an old TH400 in a drag car or our TLs.

In every instance less FM = quicker shifts.

The reason you can't run straight type F in most transmissions is they will shudder and shifts will be harsh. These are the ONLY reasons not to run it. The only way a Type F fluid can hurt the trans is if it shudders.

When this whole thing started I thought and I'm sure Inaccurate thought we would have to find a mixture that would work. I figured we would have to start mixing the non FM fluid with the Z1 stronger and stronger until we experienced shudder and then back off a little. What we found was that it will not produce shudder in the Honda 5at even at 100%.

Credit goes to Inaccurate because even though I was using a less FM fluid since the car was new I did not have the guts to use the Type F until he did so successfully.

Z1 is loaded with FM. Honda wanted a super smooth shift so they used Z1 with all of it's "slippery" additives to give those smooth shifts at the expense of wear. This in turn hurt holding power and ironically it hurt shift quality.

One thing I should state is how a shift is made in an auto. All gears are continually in mesh with one another. There is no actual shifting of gears going on. You have a clutch pack or band for each gear. When a shift is made, one clutch pack releases while the other applies. Shift timing is the timing of one pack releasing and the other applying. If one releases before the other applies you get an rpm flare. If one applies before the other releases you get a bind. What you want to get is a seamless delivery of power with perfect timing.

What ended up happening with Z1 is a clutch pack would begin applying. It would slip slip slip through most of the shift (producing wear) and then grab all at once as the shift was completed. This grabbing all at once is what you feel in your neck. Shifts are no longer measured in milliseconds as they should be and excessive wear happens.

With the non FM fluid, shifts happen in less than half the time. Shifts are more linear so you can have a shift that happens quicker but since the grabbing is spread out evenly instead of slipping for 90% of the shift you feel a better shift quality with less jerk in your neck and at the same time it's quicker so you're reducing wear on the clutches.

To top it off, a Type F fluid has over 100% more clutch holding power than Z1. Think about this for a sec, 100% is huge! This is why it has saved all of those TLs that had the shudder issue with Z1. With the wear that had occured on the clutches, Z1 no longer gave the trans enough holding power so the clutches slipped even after the shift was over which produced the shudder.

Shudder = clutch slip. Using the non FM fluid with 100% more holding power stopped the shudder by stopping the slippage.

Some of this excessive wear is from the Z1, some is from the pressure switches. The switches were causing excessively long shifts and coupled with a fluid like Z1 that is loaded with FM causing even longer shifts, you got quick failures. Those two things (switches and fluid) sort of feed off of each other when used together. It's like 1+1=3.

Where we are all insanely lucky is our TLs can handle 100% non FM fluid without shudder. We can have it all, better shift quality as felt by yourself and less wear. There is no downside at all.

I'll gladly send you 6 quarts of Redline Racing for a 3x2 so you will see what I mean with the amazing shifts. You won't ever want to run Z1 again.
The following users liked this post:
brysta (01-08-2014)
Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not overly car inclined, and my TL is the the first car I've had that I actually care about. That said, I wish I was aware of if I had any shudders when my AT shifts. I can't say that I do notice, or would notice if it was shuddering. I'd definitely notice an rpm spike but I'm not sure I'd recognize a "bind" as IHC suggests.

Regardless, I've already ordered my Redline Racing and plan to do a 3X3 in my TL with 78k miles.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
onthejob, I dont want to hear another generic quote from redline, unless they explicitly state that they've tested this in a 3g Acura TL, otherwise I dont want to hear their standard disclaimer that applies to all auto tranny's from chevy's and kia's to mercedes and bmer's equally.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

From the beginning lol..

In ANY auto, quicker shifts = less wear. The auto's shifts should be timed in miliseconds. It doesn't matter if it's an old TH400 in a drag car or our TLs.

In every instance less FM = quicker shifts.

The reason you can't run straight type F in most transmissions is they will shudder and shifts will be harsh. These are the ONLY reasons not to run it. The only way a Type F fluid can hurt the trans is if it shudders.

When this whole thing started I thought and I'm sure Inaccurate thought we would have to find a mixture that would work. I figured we would have to start mixing the non FM fluid with the Z1 stronger and stronger until we experienced shudder and then back off a little. What we found was that it will not produce shudder in the Honda 5at even at 100%.

Credit goes to Inaccurate because even though I was using a less FM fluid since the car was new I did not have the guts to use the Type F until he did so successfully.

Z1 is loaded with FM. Honda wanted a super smooth shift so they used Z1 with all of it's "slippery" additives to give those smooth shifts at the expense of wear. This in turn hurt holding power and ironically it hurt shift quality.

One thing I should state is how a shift is made in an auto. All gears are continually in mesh with one another. There is no actual shifting of gears going on. You have a clutch pack or band for each gear. When a shift is made, one clutch pack releases while the other applies. Shift timing is the timing of one pack releasing and the other applying. If one releases before the other applies you get an rpm flare. If one applies before the other releases you get a bind. What you want to get is a seamless delivery of power with perfect timing.

What ended up happening with Z1 is a clutch pack would begin applying. It would slip slip slip through most of the shift (producing wear) and then grab all at once as the shift was completed. This grabbing all at once is what you feel in your neck. Shifts are no longer measured in milliseconds as they should be and excessive wear happens.

With the non FM fluid, shifts happen in less than half the time. Shifts are more linear so you can have a shift that happens quicker but since the grabbing is spread out evenly instead of slipping for 90% of the shift you feel a better shift quality with less jerk in your neck and at the same time it's quicker so you're reducing wear on the clutches.

To top it off, a Type F fluid has over 100% more clutch holding power than Z1. Think about this for a sec, 100% is huge! This is why it has saved all of those TLs that had the shudder issue with Z1. With the wear that had occured on the clutches, Z1 no longer gave the trans enough holding power so the clutches slipped even after the shift was over which produced the shudder.

Shudder = clutch slip. Using the non FM fluid with 100% more holding power stopped the shudder by stopping the slippage.

Some of this excessive wear is from the Z1, some is from the pressure switches. The switches were causing excessively long shifts and coupled with a fluid like Z1 that is loaded with FM causing even longer shifts, you got quick failures. Those two things (switches and fluid) sort of feed off of each other when used together. It's like 1+1=3.

Where we are all insanely lucky is our TLs can handle 100% non FM fluid without shudder. We can have it all, better shift quality as felt by yourself and less wear. There is no downside at all.

I'll gladly send you 6 quarts of Redline Racing for a 3x2 so you will see what I mean with the amazing shifts. You won't ever want to run Z1 again.
Ok I see what your saying, and for clarification Redline D4 although it has some FM, still has substantially less then z-1 so it will be better option as an upgrade over z-1?

Now if I really want to go "full tilt" and eliminate all the FM for the most or in your words "100 percent" protection and advantage then the Type F in our trans will help me on both aspects...and I could have 0 worries what so ever?

Thanks for the offer for the fluid I don't think that would be necessary although its a great offer.

I guess all my concern from my previous posts was putting a new fluid in that had something "missing" (fm) from the factory formula... either way the info is well taken and I understand the effects of eliminating the FM from my fluid choices.

I guess since I really love my car and want it to last for so long as possible, I have been overly cautious as to what goes into her, and the different point of views I present here are never meant to be argumentative, there meant to be objective questions to get us to analyze both sides of the thought process.

Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by leedogg
onthejob, I dont want to hear another generic quote from redline, unless they explicitly state that they've tested this in a 3g Acura TL, otherwise I dont want to hear their standard disclaimer that applies to all auto tranny's from chevy's and kia's to mercedes and bmer's equally.
Then dont read, and go stick your head in the sand, its not my fault thats what the Redline tech told me, if you have an issue with it you can call them.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
onthejob, I'm glad that you have put in your input to this discussion. It's good to have both sides of the arguement, and hearing it directly from redline not to use that fluid is definitely a big red flag to me. people need to calm down and realize that you're just trying to figure out what's best for your car.

Also, thanks IHC for spelling that whole process for all of us, it definitely helped me see things more clearly, and it saved me a lot of time trying to read through that other huge thread on this subject.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Ok I see what your saying, and for clarification Redline D4 although it has some FM, still has substantially less then z-1 so it will be better option as an upgrade over z-1?
D4 is much better than Z1 on the FM basis alone. Of course it has a better base oil too.

You can roughly classify the oils like this:

Super friction modified:
Z1, ATF+4

Average FM (DexIII)
D4, Amsoil ATF, Mobil One, any DexIII, Royal Purple's regular sythetic oil, and the vast majority of the rest.

Non FM:
Redline Racing, Amsoil Super Shift, B&M Racing, etc.
Now if I really want to go "full tilt" and eliminate all the FM for the most or in your words "100 percent" protection and advantage then the Type F in our trans will help me on both aspects...and I could have 0 worries what so ever?
Exactly. D4 will offer less wear than Z1. Type F will offer even less wear. The great thing is the Type F has absolutely 0 negatives, there's no reason not to use it. I have roughly 20,000 miles now and when I changed the fluid last, there was nothing on the magnet. Even with the Amsoil I used to run, there was always something on the magnet.
Thanks for the offer for the fluid I don't think that would be necessary although its a great offer.

I guess all my concern from my previous posts was putting a new fluid in that had something "missing" (fm) from the factory formula... either way the info is well taken and I understand the effects of eliminating the FM from my fluid choices.
I understand. At this point I could not afford a new trans but that's all the more reason to run a non FM fluid. The trans will last longer. You'll love the shifting but more importantly it will last much longer.
I guess since I really love my car and want it to last for so long as possible, I have been overly cautious as to what goes into her, and the different point of views I present here are never meant to be argumentative, there meant to be objective questions to get us to analyze both sides of the thought process.

Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Matt HKD
onthejob, I'm glad that you have put in your input to this discussion. It's good to have both sides of the arguement, and hearing it directly from redline not to use that fluid is definitely a big red flag to me. people need to calm down and realize that you're just trying to figure out what's best for your car.

Also, thanks IHC for spelling that whole process for all of us, it definitely helped me see things more clearly, and it saved me a lot of time trying to read through that other huge thread on this subject.
The problem I had is everything in this thread has been gone over in great detail in the big thread. The sheer number of Tl owners running this with great results speaks for itself. This has saved countless transmissions. This isn't a new development, this has been done for a year or more now.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 PM
RAR

Then dont read, and go stick your head in the sand, its not my fault thats what the Redline tech told me, if you have an issue with it you can call them.

It's your fault that you're not asking the right questions from Redline, you ask a generic and vague question from them and you got a generic and vague answer in response, then you claim it as fact, applying it to our specific situation. Instead of asking them if the Type F should be used in OEM auto trannys, why dont you ask them if they've tested the type F fluid in a 3g Acura TL? I dont want to know whether or not the type F should or should be used in most oem auto tranny's out there, that is meaningless information to me, I want to know whether it can be used in our specific vehicle.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Get Money

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just buy my 12quarts of Redline D4 I have and see for yourself.

The shifts between my 2006 TL and my brothers 2006 TL is crazy. He still runs Honda Tranny Fluid but I switched to D4. Even he, a non-car enthusiasts could tell the difference in the quality.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

It's your fault that you're not asking the right questions from Redline, you ask a generic and vague question from them and you got a generic and vague answer in response, then you claim it as fact, applying it to our specific situation. Instead of asking them if the Type F should be used in OEM auto trannys, why dont you ask them if they've tested the type F fluid in a 3g Acura TL? I dont want to know whether or not the type F should or should be used in most oem auto tranny's out there, that is meaningless information to me, I want to know whether it can be used in our specific vehicle.
Ummm I did ask them all the questions as TL specific guy... good try though

Last edited by OntheJob; 12-27-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Matt HKD

Exactly my point and so glad that someone else on here is willing to see the RED FLAG.... ihatecars.... what do you take from the convo I had from redline, although I see and agree with what ive learned here today, the fact that redline told me not to use it was a huge redflag as stated here and still left me concerned after the call... your thoughts on that point?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

This isn't a new development, this has been done for a year or more now.
I could understand the frustration you may have on old topics like this, just try to work with me and people like me, because I basically did the right thing and SEARCHED the forum vs posting a crap thread asking about it ya know... after researching I basically posted my thoughts questions on the thread that I was still confused with.. I am sure this will happen with other new members.. again sorry for causing the frustration, but our cars are not all that complicated nor have that many available mods so we are going to have a lot more frequency of repeated topics and searched information.

Again thanks for all the help again though....
Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Team Owner

Exactly my point and so glad that someone else on here is willing to see the RED FLAG.... ihatecars.... what do you take from the convo I had from redline, although I see and agree with what ive learned here today, the fact that redline told me not to use it was a huge redflag as stated here and still left me concerned after the call... your thoughts on that point?
It's no big deal. They have never tried it and getting them to say much besides the standard stuff is nearly impossible. I know one of the design engineers of the Ford modular engine series. Listening to what he says on the internet vs on a friendship level is night and day. I get the scoop on light weight oils, why they're run and how much the engineers hate them yet on the internet they will defend them in a round about way. That's why I put no weight on it.

The Redline guy said it would cause shudder....It doesn't.
He said it could cause harsh shifts..... It doesn't.

What we know for sure is it gives quicker shifts and I have paid enough money for the technical papers to know that there is tons of evidence that quicker shifts equal less wear. One of the papers states specifically the benefits of a non FM fluid in auto transmissions as long as it does not shudder.

The TL is not the only car I've done this with. For many years I've done it in my GN which spec'd a DexIII fluid which is what D4 is. The Type F significantly extends the life of those transmissions and I have 200,000 miles, thousands of 1/4 passes, and over 700lbs of torque going through it to prove it works. A type F was never recommended for it and I was told basically the same thing as we are told about the TL.

Everything that's recommended is a compromise, it's not always what the engineers themselves would recommend. The average 50 year owner of a Tl wants soft shifts over durability so that's what they get.

Think about this, Honda states that you can run DexIII in the trans in an emergency situation but it must be switched back to Z1 or damage will be done. I've been running a DexIII fluid since the car had 20,000 miles and now it has nearly 100,000 miles.

Honda did nothing to prevent or fix the 100,000 or so 2nd gen trans failures it had. The 3Gs were experiencing a couple new pending failures a week on here. The fluid and switches completely stopped the 3G from becoming like the 2G. Honda is nowhere in sight. They don't even know about the switch issue. They have finally come out with a new fluid that's a little closer to a DexIII fluid that completely replaced Z1.... I wonder why. They're only 10 years too late.

Look around on here at the tons of people running Redline Racing. Not a single failure or issue. Not even a drivability issue. Nothing but praise on how good is shifts and how it cures shudder.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
RAR

Ummm I did ask them all the questions as TL specific guy... good try though
You know your responses really come off making you a smartass.

So they said they tested this in a 3rd Gen TL and found their fluid not to work?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
the fact that redline told me not to use it was a huge redflag
The fact that Acura says to use Z1 and then a person sees tons of clutch material on the magnetic drain plug and seeing the many trans failures on Acurazine from completely worn away clutch material should be a huge redflag too.

What causes excessively worn away clutch material? Too much FM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

You know your responses really come off making you a smartass.

So they said they tested this in a 3rd Gen TL and found their fluid not to work?
Funny, yours as well.... and Yes, I told him what car I had and asked repeated times and was extremely DIRECT, so your opinion of my "vague" convo is off base... and if I didnt write it too well to understand I am sorry, via the phone I was very specific with the gentlemen.

Last edited by OntheJob; 12-27-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
The fact that Acura says to use Z1 and then a person sees tons of clutch material on the magnetic drain plug and seeing the many trans failures on Acurazine from completely worn away clutch material should be a huge redflag too.

What causes excessively worn away clutch material? Too much FM.
Good point and also well taken on my point, and when I did the 3x3 flush for the first time ever I did have TONSSSSS i mean Tons of metal on the drain plug... hmmmmmmm Thanks...

Last edited by OntheJob; 12-27-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

It's no big deal. They have never tried it and getting them to say much besides the standard stuff is nearly impossible. I know one of the design engineers of the Ford modular engine series. Listening to what he says on the internet vs on a friendship level is night and day. I get the scoop on light weight oils, why they're run and how much the engineers hate them yet on the internet they will defend them in a round about way. That's why I put no weight on it.

The Redline guy said it would cause shudder....It doesn't.
He said it could cause harsh shifts..... It doesn't.

What we know for sure is it gives quicker shifts and I have paid enough money for the technical papers to know that there is tons of evidence that quicker shifts equal less wear. One of the papers states specifically the benefits of a non FM fluid in auto transmissions as long as it does not shudder.

The TL is not the only car I've done this with. For many years I've done it in my GN which spec'd a DexIII fluid which is what D4 is. The Type F significantly extends the life of those transmissions and I have 200,000 miles, thousands of 1/4 passes, and over 700lbs of torque going through it to prove it works. A type F was never recommended for it and I was told basically the same thing as we are told about the TL.

Everything that's recommended is a compromise, it's not always what the engineers themselves would recommend. The average 50 year owner of a Tl wants soft shifts over durability so that's what they get.

Think about this, Honda states that you can run DexIII in the trans in an emergency situation but it must be switched back to Z1 or damage will be done. I've been running a DexIII fluid since the car had 20,000 miles and now it has nearly 100,000 miles.

Honda did nothing to prevent or fix the 100,000 or so 2nd gen trans failures it had. The 3Gs were experiencing a couple new pending failures a week on here. The fluid and switches completely stopped the 3G from becoming like the 2G. Honda is nowhere in sight. They don't even know about the switch issue. They have finally come out with a new fluid that's a little closer to a DexIII fluid that completely replaced Z1.... I wonder why. They're only 10 years too late.

Look around on here at the tons of people running Redline Racing. Not a single failure or issue. Not even a drivability issue. Nothing but praise on how good is shifts and how it cures shudder.
yea man thats def. inspiring info and real world experience... after having light shed on the grey areas I still had I feel a bit more comfortable with the idea of trying a type F fluid... worse case if I dont like it for whatever reason... its not forever I could always change it. Good food for thought though.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 PM
RAR

Funny, yours as well.... and Yes, I told him what car I had and asked repeated times and was extremely DIRECT, so your opinion of my "vague" convo is off base... and if I didnt write it too well to understand I am sorry, via the phone I was very specific with the gentlemen.
My opinion is that I switched over the type F from Amsoil's ATF about 20k ago, and I've noticed a big improvement in smooth shifts without any issues...so yes I'm a little skeptical about the effectiveness of your discussion with them.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Anyone have the current pricing on the 3 & 4th gears switches and which sponsor we using ?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
^ I think $38 a piece. AckTL05 can give you more details.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just did a 2x3 transmission flush with Redline D4 ATF, and there has been a big improvement in shifting. There was a crazy amount of metal on the drain plug.

But the question is...I'm planning to do a 1x3 flush in a month or two can I use Type F, or I must use D4?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by optical24
I'm planning to do a 1x3 flush in a month or two can I use Type F, or I must use D4?
You can use the Redline Racing ATF next time. The D4 and Racing ATF are fully compatible.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey IHC your pm is full..

sup man.. should I do a trans flush with the typef redline or 3x3..??? I have a shop machine.. if a flush, how many quarts do I need?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 12:02 PM
RAR

You guys need to use search more.

© 2008 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved 1 of 1
ServiceNews Article
Helping you fix it right the first time - every time
Some A/T repair procedures call for flushing the trans using Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 (and no substitutes).
Problem is, where do you find the info to do that? It’s not listed in the S/Ms, and if you do an ISIS search,
you’ll find a few ServiceNews articles on this subject, but they’re rather dated, and none of them say the
same thing. Even the most recent one (see “Revised A/T Flushing Procedure” in the December ’00 issue)
still mentions that old work horse—the PGM Tester—which we stopped supporting when the HDS first
came on the scene.
NOTE: The term “flushing” refers to repeatedly draining and refilling the trans with Honda Genuine
ATF-Z1. Don’t confuse it with aftermarket flush systems. American Honda still strongly recommends that
you avoid using them on any Honda vehicle.
The original procedure was written for simpler A/Ts that readily upshifted when you ran the vehicle on a lift.
But A/Ts have come a long way since then, and most of the newer ones balk at shifting past 2nd gear
when on a lift, unless you work the shift lever a certain way.
In light of all this, we thought it was high time that the A/T flushing procedure got a facelift. So here’s the
latest word on flushing that works for all A/Ts:
1. Set the parking brake, and raise the vehicle on a lift.
2. Drain the trans, and refill it with Honda Genuine ATF-Z1. Refer to the applicable S/M or to ISIS for
details.
3. Start the engine, shift into Drive, and release the parking brake.
4. Push down on the accelerator pedal to raise the vehicle speed to 2,500 rpm.
• If the trans shifts past 2nd gear, go to step 5.
• If the trans won’t shift past 2nd gear, keep the engine speed at 2,500 rpm and shift from Drive to
Neutral and back to Drive. Then go to step 5.
5. Make sure that the trans shifts through all the forward gears and goes into torque converter lockup.
6. Let off the accelerator pedal, and press the brake pedal to drop the vehicle speed to zero. Shift into
Reverse and then into Neutral.
7. Shift into Drive, and repeat steps 4 thru 6 four more times.
8. Set the parking brake, and repeat steps 2 thru 6 two more times.
9. Drain the trans, and reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer.
10. Refill the A/T with ATF-Z1.
Jan 2008
Check Out the Latest Word on A/T Flushing
Currently Applies To: General Information
A08010A
Old 03-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

...and along with the above post, my question is whether or not it's recommended to to a full flush and fill from Z1 to RL Type F? I have read through the entire thread and my only concern is the "shock" to the TL from going from an FM-laden fluid to something with no FM at all.

I know IHC mentioned that there is absolutely downside to using Type F since the TL can handle the fluid, but I'm worried about the initial break-in period.

Everything I read about this issue over the last few months left me thinking that D4 was the way to go, but this entire thread just threw that idea out the window.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG
...and along with the above post, my question is whether or not it's recommended to to a full flush and fill from Z1 to RL Type F? I have read through the entire thread and my only concern is the "shock" to the TL from going from an FM-laden fluid to something with no FM at all.

I know IHC mentioned that there is absolutely downside to using Type F since the TL can handle the fluid, but I'm worried about the initial break-in period.

Everything I read about this issue over the last few months left me thinking that D4 was the way to go, but this entire thread just threw that idea out the window.
If it helps, I just did a full 3X3 from Z1 to Redline Type F this past weekend and my car feels great. I know that some people have been "easing in" with a mixture of Redline D4 and some Type F. You could do that if you want, but I personally haven't had an issue.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
^+1

i went all in with a 4x3. (2qts racing/1qt lightweight each time)

also, there will still be some z1 left, because it will only get mixed with the new fluid.

IHC or Inacc posted a chart in here somewhere with all the calculations/ percentages of each drain and refill
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Doing a 3x3 tranny flush w/ redline racing is it ok with 110k on the clock?

I have been searching posts all night and couldnt get a definite answer

Just got an 04 TL with 110k on the clock, not sure when or if the previous owner has changed the fluid

It seems like the best fluid is the redline racing type F fluid
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=52&pcid=9

I was also considering using the Amsoil ATF fluid b/c it seemed like less of an aggressive step

my fear is that when I do a 3x3 my trans will start to slip if the fluid has never been changed before... I know that can be BS but has anyone done the change and had or not had problems

thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't be afraid. Your tranny prolly won't slip... if anything it's a good thing to do a 3x3.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Usually it starts to slip if you do a FLUSH. I would do a 1x3, drive a week or so, then finish a 2x3
Old 03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

Here are the refill percentages below. Note that after 10 refills, the percentage of new fluid is 99.5%. This is close enough to round-off to 100% IMO.

1= 40%
2= 65%
3= 79%
4= 87%
5= 92%
6= 96%
7= 97%
8= 98%
9= 99%
10= 99.5%

Note - These percentages are for the Base 5AT TL. The Type-S 5AT might differ.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

so i should order 9 courts of the racing

I thought I read that some people were running a mix of d4 and the type f racing for the best mixture?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Here are the refill percentages below. Note that after 10 refills, the percentage of new fluid is 99.5%. This is close enough to round-off to 100% IMO.

1= 40%
2= 65%
3= 79%
4= 87%
5= 92%
6= 96%
7= 97%
8= 98%
9= 99%
10= 99.5%

Note - These percentages are for the Base 5AT TL. The Type-S 5AT might differ.
Pretty much diminishing returns after #4 .. great post tho .. doing mine x4 come spring. Just wish it wasn't so hard to get under with no lift.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

I understand that after each 3Q fill you should drive the car so it passes through all the gears to mix both old & new fluid.... now here is the question I have ... can this be done on the lift?

Would save a lot of time ...

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Synthetic Transmission Fluid VS Redline D4 ATF