Sponsored by:

Acura TL Tint Help, Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL Tint Help, Please

Hey -

I am new to car modifications and would like to know if a 2004 Acura TL would look good with 25% tint? I am thinking about doing this. Also, the tint shop will charge 200 for this, but it costs $120 more for felt applied for the tint.

Is it worth it to do this?

Has anyone gotten felt and had problems?

Has anyone gotten scratches from not using felt?

What is the difference, if any, aesthetically?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

The Acura TL Newbie
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
New shoes on my

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tints for the most part will always look good unless they're poorly done, or if it's crappy film that has faded, peeled, bubbled or cracked over time.

As for the felt, just do a search and you'll see that it's necessary. Some people on here use mole skin. When I was at the tint place, before I even got to ask about the felt, the guy recomended it, as many Acura's, BMW's Merc's, Audi's, etc seem to be having the scratching problem due to the plastic fins inside the door. I don't know exactly what felt he used, but after 6 months, mostly late summer, fall then cold winter, I havn't seen them peeling up or leaving any glue residue.

Edit: I just noticed the guy wants $120 for the felt. Tell him to shove it up his ass. The tint place I went to did it for free, so I tipped the guy an extra $10. You can buy the mole skin kits, and install it yourself really easily for around like $20

Last edited by mglax13; 02-20-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Instructor

make sure it is non metallic if you have navi, radar, or plan to use your cellphone since the metallic one interferes with the connection, service, etc...
Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I had a high end place tint my 07 TL-S and guaranteed it would NOT scratch.

IT DID, use Moleskin Sir
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Wocoomrd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, you defiantly have to use moleskin. Most good tint shops will put it on there for free because they know it will scratch the tints without it, no matter how good the tints are.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by tiredandhungry67
make sure it is non metallic if you have navi, radar, or plan to use your cellphone since the metallic one interferes with the connection, service, etc...
Mostly Myth. You think some metal in the tint makes your car a Faraday Cage? Damn car is full of metal.

And, yes, I have Navi, Cell Phone, Radio and Metallic tint.

$120 EXTRA for felt is pretty damn expensive. I paid $80 extra and thought it was highway robbery.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
9th Gear

Thanks everybody!

Does 25% tint sound good?

If I do decide to do the felt (even though it is ridiculously expensive), will it be a decent substitute for moleskin? The tinter doesn't offer moleskin but says that the windows won't scratch with the felt. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Buy Moleskin and install after they tint your windows. Its VERY EASY, and costs $30.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Cruisin'

Hello GMON. Welcome to Acurazine. This is a old response to another Acurazine member that might be helpful in your quest for film. Once again welcome and best of luck on your TL.

I am a professional tinter for 15 yrs. I am currently tinting for a major car dealership in Austin,TX. These are some of MY OPINION and what I have come to discover in 15yrs of tinting.

You should only use non-metallic films or ceramic based films on your TL if you want free interference with Nav and radio features. As far a brands, the QC of brands are about the same, you will be happy with a name brand company. My favorites, in no particular order are: Johnson, Llumar, & Madico. IT DOES NOT MATTER ABOUT BRAND IF WORKMANSHIP IS JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Llumar is the clearest of all films I have worked with. QC is great. Easy to shrink and install=better workmanship by tinter.

Johnson is 2nd clearest. QC is great. Easy to shrink and install=better workmanship by tinter.

Madico is 3rd-ish clearest. QC is great. Easy to shrink and install=better workmanship by tinter.

Huper-Optic is a ceramic based german film, very expensive. Technology is derived from NASA. Features/benefits are #1. Sub product of Madico films. Does not shrink well and hard to install=questionable workmanship. I have install Huper-Optic for many years and everytime I tint a car in Huper-Optic it takes all of my 15 yrs experience to complete to my liking.

3M is a great company, IMO their film is junk. CS(Color Stable) does not cure effectively around tinted glass that is rested inside window molding. Clarity could be a-lot better.

Solar Guard is junk.

Mole skin is great, but has disadvantages. Mole skin glue comes off from the sun's heat. Big problem in sunny states. Adds resistance to window motor, lessen life of motor. There can still be a chance of scratches in film over a period of time. Scratches come from dirt/dust resting on window molding against glass. Even if one has Moleskin dust/dirt can still settle against Moleskin and glass. Add if you like, but I do not recommend it. To help reduce chances of scratches, clean molding often and use air compressor to blow out dust/dirt, this method has worked for me. Once car is tinted try not to roll down windows, it is at this moment that scratches will occur.

If you are still with me, I have 35% Johnson charcoal on my 08 TL & 06 RL. Full use of Nav and radio. Very clear, no ghosting in film. No short cuts on installation(brake light area tinted, Qtr glass tinted completely).
Very happy with Jonson and would recommend.

If you have any questions I can be reached via email, (TLO2600@hotmail.com)
The following users liked this post:
aj_ (05-09-2014)
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Where did you guys order your moleskin from? I found only one website that sells it. http:///
Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
i think 20% tint looks good, i just got mine re done yesterday with 20% all around
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yea 20% is best
Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Instructor

I got a quote from a tint shop in the Philly area ($180 for 30% Llumar high performance film plus $20 for Moleskin), but the one thing I found odd was that they said they remove the inside window molding...seems like it shouldn't be done but has anyone else had this done? Same question on the rear brake light...seems like it would look better to have that area tinted. They have a forum, and lots of good words about their work, but I have never had tint done before so I have some concerns....TIA!

From the tint shop:

"we can tint over the brake light area if you want, it is no problem, but we found the cut out actually looks cleaner(because of the heavy black line between light and back window area)..also, the "moleskin" is a waste of money...its the interior moulding that scratches on the TL, and even if you put felt or moleskin on it, it will scratch soon enough. We actually remove the interior moulding(you wont know its missing) to stop those scratches from happening. Understand that scratches can still happen fron sand or gravel left on the top of the window sill fron arms or road dirt. We always encourage people to keep thier sill clean to prevent that from happening. If you want felt, we can put it on, but it is not nessecary.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Anyone know how to prevent streaking on the tints? Very light streaking, tint shop told me that's just what happens when you tint a TL.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Racer

My windows are getting tinted tomorrow, and the guy thats tinting my windows told me that he would make sure I wouldn't have a problem w/ the tint getting scratched. He said that the newer Honda's had a problem w/ the power window cables scratching the tint bad (b/c they're wrapped in a metal casing).
Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PSULou03
I got a quote from a tint shop in the Philly area ($180 for 30% Llumar high performance film plus $20 for Moleskin), but the one thing I found odd was that they said they remove the inside window molding...seems like it shouldn't be done but has anyone else had this done? Same question on the rear brake light...seems like it would look better to have that area tinted. They have a forum, and lots of good words about their work, but I have never had tint done before so I have some concerns....TIA!

From the tint shop:

"we can tint over the brake light area if you want, it is no problem, but we found the cut out actually looks cleaner(because of the heavy black line between light and back window area)..also, the "moleskin" is a waste of money...its the interior moulding that scratches on the TL, and even if you put felt or moleskin on it, it will scratch soon enough. We actually remove the interior moulding(you wont know its missing) to stop those scratches from happening. Understand that scratches can still happen fron sand or gravel left on the top of the window sill fron arms or road dirt. We always encourage people to keep thier sill clean to prevent that from happening. If you want felt, we can put it on, but it is not nessecary.

Would this happen to be shades of gray tinting?? I actually called them and they told me the exact same things that you stated, including the fact that they take our the lower molding that collects the dirt and debris that actually scratches the tint. I was actually considering letting them tint it and then putting the moleskin on myself when I got home. Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by upandcoming
Would this happen to be shades of gray tinting?? I actually called them and they told me the exact same things that you stated, including the fact that they take our the lower molding that collects the dirt and debris that actually scratches the tint. I was actually considering letting them tint it and then putting the moleskin on myself when I got home. Better safe than sorry.
Yep, it is Shades of Gray. So you are saying that you would let them do the tint while keeping the molding on, but then installing the Moleskin yourself (since taking the molding off would render Moleskin useless since there is no molding there correct? ). For $20, I would probably just let them install it. I guess I need to look at the molding but I would think removing it would look ugly, and maybe lead to rattles or a draft.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PSULou03
Yep, it is Shades of Gray. So you are saying that you would let them do the tint while keeping the molding on, but then installing the Moleskin yourself (since taking the molding off would render Moleskin useless since there is no molding there correct? ). For $20, I would probably just let them install it. I guess I need to look at the molding but I would think removing it would look ugly, and maybe lead to rattles or a draft.
Not the molding at the top of your door, that you see from the drivers seat, there is a molding beneath that which the dirt and shit gets trapped on, I spoke with Damon and he was 100% absolutely against the use of the moleskin for several reasons. Im going to take the moleskin with me, if he puts in writing that he'll retint the car if it scratches, I wont make them put it on, if not then I will.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I know the molding at the bottom of the window, which when I looked at the door panel is pretty much hidden from view. My main concern is about any rattles that removing it may cause (do you think this may be an issue?). So, if they won't replace the tint if it scratches, then you will tell them to put the moleskin on, but no moleskin while still leaving the moldings if he provides a guarantee. Unless I was reading his site incorrectly, I thought there was a lifetime guarantee on the film (maybe that doesn't include labor). I should probably just give him a ring soon to clarify all this ughhh LOL.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
CARBON FIBER WDP TL

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
i went to the get a price on my tints 20% all around and the told me $220 with the felt...so if your getting charged 120 more i would go somewhere else.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Instructor

I called my tint-shop today. The guy has been in the business for 20years and must have done 10,000 cars and maybe 500 Acura's (not all 3rd gen though), many BMW's etc and he says that he had never used moleskin or felt.

I'm going to have him install it anyway (just in case). Better safe than sorry.

He tinted my 2003-TL last year and with no moleskin. Does a 2003 TL need moleskin/felt as well? The tint looks fine with no scratching even after 14 months of use.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Tint. Yes. Do It. 20-30%.

If you are in the Philadelphia area, Shades of Gray tint shop is highly recommended. $150ish, great job, they didn't recommend felt.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Racer

Got an appointment at Shades of Gray tomorrow, they come very highly reccommended if your in the Philly area.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
solar guard is junk? This entire time I thought it was pretty good... [hearing from other folks]
Old 08-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just called 4 shops in the area to tint my 2005 TL. All 4 use SunTek Window Tinting

Shop 1: $245 + $40 for recommended felt
Shop 2: $265 + $80 for recommended felt
Shop 3: $265 + $100 for recommended felt
Shop 4: $170 + $0 for removing molding, does not recommend felt

The first three shops are all high end places that dealers use. The last guy is geatto and does it in his garage and I don't know if I trust him. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Dis-1-TL
Hello GMON. Welcome to Acurazine. This is a old response to another Acurazine member that might be helpful in your quest for film. Once again welcome and best of luck on your TL.

I am a professional tinter for 15 yrs. I am currently tinting for a major car dealership in Austin,TX. These are some of MY OPINION and what I have come to discover in 15yrs of tinting.

You should only use non-metallic films or ceramic based films on your TL if you want free interference with Nav and radio features. As far a brands, the QC of brands are about the same, you will be happy with a name brand company. My favorites, in no particular order are: Johnson, Llumar, & Madico. IT DOES NOT MATTER ABOUT BRAND IF WORKMANSHIP IS JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Llumar is the clearest of all films I have worked with. QC is great. Easy to shrink and install=better workmanship by tinter.

Johnson is 2nd clearest. QC is great. Easy to shrink and install=better workmanship by tinter.

Madico is 3rd-ish clearest. QC is great. Easy to shrink and install=better workmanship by tinter.

Huper-Optic is a ceramic based german film, very expensive. Technology is derived from NASA. Features/benefits are #1. Sub product of Madico films. Does not shrink well and hard to install=questionable workmanship. I have install Huper-Optic for many years and everytime I tint a car in Huper-Optic it takes all of my 15 yrs experience to complete to my liking.

3M is a great company, IMO their film is junk. CS(Color Stable) does not cure effectively around tinted glass that is rested inside window molding. Clarity could be a-lot better.

Solar Guard is junk.

Mole skin is great, but has disadvantages. Mole skin glue comes off from the sun's heat. Big problem in sunny states. Adds resistance to window motor, lessen life of motor. There can still be a chance of scratches in film over a period of time. Scratches come from dirt/dust resting on window molding against glass. Even if one has Moleskin dust/dirt can still settle against Moleskin and glass. Add if you like, but I do not recommend it. To help reduce chances of scratches, clean molding often and use air compressor to blow out dust/dirt, this method has worked for me. Once car is tinted try not to roll down windows, it is at this moment that scratches will occur.

If you are still with me, I have 35% Johnson charcoal on my 08 TL & 06 RL. Full use of Nav and radio. Very clear, no ghosting in film. No short cuts on installation(brake light area tinted, Qtr glass tinted completely).
Very happy with Jonson and would recommend.

If you have any questions I can be reached via email, (TLO2600@hotmail.com)

Could you do the Tint on my 2005 Acura TL? I live in Austin, Born and raised. Seems like you know your tinting ends and outs, been meaning to tint my car for a while now.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by iamthen
I just called 4 shops in the area to tint my 2005 TL. All 4 use SunTek Window Tinting

Shop 1: $245 + $40 for recommended felt
Shop 2: $265 + $80 for recommended felt
Shop 3: $265 + $100 for recommended felt
Shop 4: $170 + $0 for removing molding, does not recommend felt

The first three shops are all high end places that dealers use. The last guy is geatto and does it in his garage and I don't know if I trust him. What are your thoughts?
What a rip! I did it at a nearby place and it was 120 + 40 felt (Suntek brand as well)
Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
What a rip! I did it at a nearby place and it was 120 + 40 felt (Suntek brand as well)
Yes, it seems like alot to pay $120 more then you did for the same product/service. And shop #1 is booked out 22 days! And the worst part is, here is Oregon, the limit is 35% tint all around. that's not much of a difference then no tint IMHO. I might not pull the trigger on it.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
That's pretty damn cheap. Here something similar is ~$300 + felt.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had my 07 TLS re-tinted today, $200 for four windows and back glass. 3m authorized tint shop as well, the car looks fantastic.

I forgot to ask about the felt though, wish I would have saw this listing 8 hours ago...