Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura summer savings on maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Acura summer savings on maintenance

I'm just curious who else gets these promotions and if you think they are a good deal? Personally I know I need an alignment and this place is one of the better ones with a road force machine so I will likely do that. But $25 for an oil change is hard to beat too!

Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
my alignments are $60 from independent mechanic
Old 07-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
And I do my own oil for exactly $25......
Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Pro

I prefer to do my own oil because they always over tighten everything!! More of a convenience thing if I take it there, but honestly by the time I schedule the appointment, drop it off, wait for their slow asses, and drive home I couldve been done and on to my second beer.

Around here alignment is at least $80 and most places dont have a road force machine. My car has curb rash and I suspect a warped wheel or two. From previous owner of course, but it makes the car harder to align and balance too. So that I will likely go for.

Any opinions on the Timing belt offer?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenSpades
I prefer to do my own oil because they always over tighten everything!! More of a convenience thing if I take it there, but honestly by the time I schedule the appointment, drop it off, wait for their slow asses, and drive home I couldve been done and on to my second beer.

Around here alignment is at least $80 and most places dont have a road force machine. My car has curb rash and I suspect a warped wheel or two. From previous owner of course, but it makes the car harder to align and balance too. So that I will likely go for.

Any opinions on the Timing belt offer?
My dealer has always quoted me $900 or higher on the full timing belt service.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
I have never gotten them but the prices are pretty good for a dealership. I'd go for it, plus you get a free wash and if that one is like mine I take advantage of the coffee and free sandwiches.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Agree with eastcoastguy in that the prices are decent for a dealership. You can do better on some items with an indy shop or potentially your local Honda dealership, but again those prices aren't too bad. I would skip the free car wash unless you like swirls and scratches in your paint.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
I would skip the free car wash unless you like swirls and scratches in your paint.
I have never gotten any scratches and the swirl marks have been very minor. They actually do a great job on mine!
Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
I have never gotten any scratches and the swirl marks have been very minor. They actually do a great job on mine!
It only has to happen once!!!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Pro

Fortunately for me I love scratches and swirls in my paint.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Pro

Maybe I should clarify too that these are a promotional coupon they sent me. I dont know if all the dealers do that or if it is up to each store. So these are not the regular prices. Last time I got oil done there it came to $42.xx after tax and all. And an alignment I believe was around 75-80. Curious what their price on timing belt service is regularly.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Guess Davis in Langhorne?
Alignment decent price, similar to oil change with all the extras.
The timing belt, is just the timing belt, water pump and drive belt. It's missing the tensioner and pulley along with the idler pulley which adds $$$$ to the job.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 AM

Fortunately for me I love scratches and swirls in my paint.
Said no one ever..........

Maybe I should clarify too that these are a promotional coupon they sent me. I dont know if all the dealers do that or if it is up to each store. So these are not the regular prices. Last time I got oil done there it came to $42.xx after tax and all. And an alignment I believe was around 75-80. Curious what their price on timing belt service is regularly.
Many dealers will do this to drum up business for the Service Department. It's also an opportunity for them to look over the cars while in the shop and find other things wrong with them in hopes the owners will bite on getting other things done as less than discounted pricing. That said - the pricing on the coupon isn't bad.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
its a good deal, most people doesn't get is I always get a loaner from dropping my car off either for a service or oil change. YES I get a loaner plus free toll tag just for oil change and guess what my oil change bill come to? whooping $8.12 after tax (I bring my own oil and filter) I got enjoy time with my kids and family and on top of that they vacuum the interior every time so if you want to save $$$ from evil stealership go ahead. BTW my indie mechanic charge me $10 for an oil change (I bring my own oil and filter) and I have to sit there and wait.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I buy my own oil (synthetic) and filter then take it to a local shop that does the labor for $10. Net cost, around $40-$50.

This way, I'm certain to use the best of the best when it comes to the oil & filter used. 268K miles & still flying high!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Guess Davis in Langhorne?
Alignment decent price, similar to oil change with all the extras.
The timing belt, is just the timing belt, water pump and drive belt. It's missing the tensioner and pulley along with the idler pulley which adds $$$$ to the job.
Yes that is the one. I have gone there a few times. They have a nice facility. The shop manager is a nice guy. Sometimes there is a nice NSX or two to look at. Nice. I honestly think if I ever do the timing belt on this car I will just make a weeken of it and change all belts and tensioners while in there.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Said no one ever..........

Many dealers will do this to drum up business for the Service Department. It's also an opportunity for them to look over the cars while in the shop and find other things wrong with them in hopes the owners will bite on getting other things done as less than discounted pricing. That said - the pricing on the coupon isn't bad.
Oh yes, this place loves to try to up sell you on shit you dont need. And they hate me, because I never ever ever never let them do any of the services except for what I specifically came in for. Which is usually only inspection, oil change, or alignment and balance. And even those things many times I am back there again later because they didn't get it right the first time.

I stopped taking the car there actually because of the annoying stuff like that. Inspection is horrible, because they try to up sell me and then I take it upon myself to go fix those things and have to come back just for them to try to up sell me again lol.I can tell you for sure I will only go back if they have a loaner, because I have wasted far too much time sitting in their waiting area. Slow as molasses.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh yes, this place loves to try to up sell you on shit you dont need. And they hate me, because I never ever ever never let them do any of the services except for what I specifically came in for. Which is usually only inspection, oil change, or alignment and balance. And even those things many times I am back there again later because they didn't get it right the first time.

I stopped taking the car there actually because of the annoying stuff like that. Inspection is horrible, because they try to up sell me and then I take it upon myself to go fix those things and have to come back just for them to try to up sell me again lol.I can tell you for sure I will only go back if they have a loaner, because I have wasted far too much time sitting in their waiting area. Slow as molasses.

Up sell? mine doesn't even tell me about the report unless I ask them to check specific component. My Base TL got slight vibration so I bring it in for a diagnostic, of course some of you might say "well here goes $145 diagnostic fee" I get a MDX loaner for 3 days and the dealer told me its the front rotor that cause vibration and when I pick up the car paperwork say "N/C no charge". I am no longer need to make an appointment for loaner car and able to pick any Acura line up from the loaner lot, also I can bring my own part to the dealer and all the time they just give me the estimate labor for repair. I am not saying all dealer is this good but at the same time you must consider is that you have to build business relation with them before get discount/ hook up. You just can't expect they give you a deal on service when you only do oil change once or twice from the dealership.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Pro

I dont expect shit other than for them to correctly perform the service I am paying full price for. That is not asking for a hookup. Even that is too much to expect in my experience with most shops. I have become extremely cynical when it comes to having my vehicles worked on. Dealerships are just one big ripoff in my eyes, but I also live on an average salary and never buy new, always used, and do all of the work I can possibly do by myself. So I would say my expectations are set quite low to start, but they always find a way to piss me off. Like I said they hate people like me.

I do have a few select indie shops I trust. One guy right across the street I can walk to actually is very honest and I could push a car there if I had to.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Said no one ever...........
Sarcasm is the new black.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont expect shit other than for them to correctly perform the service I am paying full price for. That is not asking for a hookup. Even that is too much to expect in my experience with most shops. I have become extremely cynical when it comes to having my vehicles worked on. Dealerships are just one big ripoff in my eyes, but I also live on an average salary and never buy new, always used, and do all of the work I can possibly do by myself. So I would say my expectations are set quite low to start, but they always find a way to piss me off. Like I said they hate people like me.

I do have a few select indie shops I trust. One guy right across the street I can walk to actually is very honest and I could push a car there if I had to.

Well they hate people like you because most car enthusiast came from working ALOT on used car, most dealer will lazy on diagnostic on a 10 years old car and the reason is simple. E.G 07-08 base TL is market about $8500 if the TB tensioner goes bad the quote would be $1250 got the whole package and most people will decline, why? their theory is spending 1/8 of a car value in repair is irrelevant. I don't always bring the "know it all" attitude when I visit indi shop/ dealer, I would tell them what the problem is and "I suspect/ think" certain component that might fail even tho some time I knew 300 % that I am right.

There are several occasion I doubt my dealer EG. in 2014 they told me the rear brake pads was low (car has 80k miles) knowing that I personally replace rotor and pads and lubricate all the slide pin back in 2013 at 65k miles on the clock so most of us will be like "dam stealership" because how the rear pad could have wore down in such a short time span. So I didn't say nothing and decline the offer I told the guy " I will keep an eye on it".

I check it a week later and to my surprise the inside pads is down almost to the metal tab and they wasn't lying so I went to autozone get new pad and replace also rebuilt my caliper with OEM parts. Another time I ask them to check suspension because the car wooble a bit on flat straight road and they came back with a leak rack and pinion right at the inner tire rack along with infamous crack LCA bushing the original estimate for rack replacement was $2300 (some member here put me on flame from seeing the estimate invoice) but when I check under the car and I can see a huge chunk of grease dripped on top of the LCA but I end up paying no where close 50% to the OG estimate and YES the same dealer did the repair.

I do not like to be "telling people what to do" when come to dealer service because if the problem cause by something else now I am looking like an idiot. That like hiring a electrical technician and tell him how to run wiring. I strongly recommend you build your knowledge and able to detect straight BS like " dirty fluid" "injector service" etc... but other than that show them your knowledge passively.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Well they hate people like you because most car enthusiast came from working ALOT on used car, most dealer will lazy on diagnostic on a 10 years old car and the reason is simple. E.G 07-08 base TL is market about $8500 if the TB tensioner goes bad the quote would be $1250 got the whole package and most people will decline, why? their theory is spending 1/8 of a car value in repair is irrelevant. I don't always bring the "know it all" attitude when I visit indi shop/ dealer, I would tell them what the problem is and "I suspect/ think" certain component that might fail even tho some time I knew 300 % that I am right.

There are several occasion I doubt my dealer EG. in 2014 they told me the rear brake pads was low (car has 80k miles) knowing that I personally replace rotor and pads and lubricate all the slide pin back in 2013 at 65k miles on the clock so most of us will be like "dam stealership" because how the rear pad could have wore down in such a short time span. So I didn't say nothing and decline the offer I told the guy " I will keep an eye on it".

I check it a week later and to my surprise the inside pads is down almost to the metal tab and they wasn't lying so I went to autozone get new pad and replace also rebuilt my caliper with OEM parts. Another time I ask them to check suspension because the car wooble a bit on flat straight road and they came back with a leak rack and pinion right at the inner tire rack along with infamous crack LCA bushing the original estimate for rack replacement was $2300 (some member here put me on flame from seeing the estimate invoice) but when I check under the car and I can see a huge chunk of grease dripped on top of the LCA but I end up paying no where close 50% to the OG estimate and YES the same dealer did the repair.

I do not like to be "telling people what to do" when come to dealer service because if the problem cause by something else now I am looking like an idiot. That like hiring a electrical technician and tell him how to run wiring. I strongly recommend you build your knowledge and able to detect straight BS like " dirty fluid" "injector service" etc... but other than that show them your knowledge passively.
True true. Indeed they do know A LOT more than I do. Especially when it comes to these vehicles. I must admit I have done a similar thing more than once. This place in particular has never wronged me, and they usually are straight to the point with "this will pass, but that won't" and I appreciate that. What gets me is the very long list of "recommended" fixes. My TL is an 04 with 160,000 miles and not in good cosmetic condition. It is very much relegated to the daily driver/beater position and it would cost far FAR more than the car is worth to bring it back to prestine condition at the dealer. Truth be told if I did not do the work myswlf this would not be an economically feasible car to daily. But I have two other cars and can afford the time to have it on jack stands in my driveway to fix whatever comes next.

I have been on both sides of the fence though. Especially when I was newer to driving where I was taken advantage of with services I did not need. I actually just helped my neighbor today avoid letting a shop replace his entire throttle body when all he needed was a TPS. He already had them clean it and keep it overnight too. I consider that paying it forward.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ lol I been on the other side of the fence as well, like you said my Lexus had 200k miles on the clock no way its in the same condition as 17 years ago. They write me a long list but I caught one BS and flag down the service manager and even I got him in a tight spot.

I just ask them replace the rear differential fluid 5k miles ago and still have paper work, they told me the rear diff fluid dirty (this is a good one since I ask if they ever replace the rear diff fluid which was paid for or the Tech wrote the report was lying) so I asked the service manager when the tech wrote the report did he goes over all the item or just pencil check the box base on the mileage and exterior condition? he couldn't get back to me lol.

A bad MAP sensor cause a temp rev limiter at 4000 rpm they told me its the AT LMFAO I told them "since when you guy become a Honda dealer?" Yes I do experience with bad dealer and the advisor know that I am car enthusiast but he left the shady place shortly and I also cross them out on my list. If you ever in the Houston area just stay away from Sterling McCall Lexus and Acura for service...
Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 PM
Pro

When I was young and dumber I would sometimes take cars to Pep Boys. Those kinds of places, the big box chains like STS, NBT, Pep Boys, crap like that are obviously the worst. What do you expect though. They are a full step below the stealerships even in my experience.

Dealerships I usually get good service but prices are high. Indie shops are totally random hit or miss. If you find a good one hold on to them for dear life!