Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accumulation of questions. lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:11 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
accumulation of questions. lol

Okay guys, I've got a few things that have been on my mind lately in regards to my car. I've got an extensive list of things haha. here's a sample. For the record, my car has 101k on it.

1) I've got the 105k maintenance coming up probably by the end of spring/beginning of summer. Around how much will it cost me? And what exactly will I be replacing in total?

2) Also, are there any fluids/etc. things to change right now at 101k? Just things that should be done for peace of mind?

3) I'm still on stock brakes and I think it's time to get new ones. Not necessarily cause I need them, but just for peace of mind with this high mileage. So, I went on ebay and found some options. My budget is up to $600, but if something is truly great, I'm willing to budge a bit. Also, I'm a newb in this field as well. Are these kits any good? As in, do they have everything I need to replace/upgrade my brakes?
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...Q5fAccessories
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...Q5fAccessories
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...ltDomainQ5f100
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-06...Q5fAccessories
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...Q5fAccessories
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-08...Q5fAccessories

4) I have a lot of condensation in my headlights, any way to clean 'em out without opening them up?

5) I want to drop my car, but I'm still on stock suspension. I want to do a mild drop (1-1.5in) on springs, is that a bad idea? How much will this affect the life of my shocks?

6) Is anyone here running a true dual custom exhaust? I know swoosh had a thread about it, but that died off abruptly a few months ago.

7) What's a good sub/amp set-up? My budget is around $350 for everything; subs, wires, amp, capacitator, LOC. I've got a chance to pick up 2 JL audio 10inW3's in a box for $150 from a friend. Should I hop on that deal?

8) My rear bumper sticks out a little underneath my tail-lights, on both sides. It bugs the hell out of me! How can I fix this?

Last edited by D's Up; 03-15-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
1.) Depends on where you get the parts and who does the labor. It can go from around 600$ to 1000$ depending.
2.) At 105K id do a swap of all the fluids, cant hurt anything but your wallet
3.) I wouldnt get brakes on ebay, even from a good source, go to a local shop/store and look. Are you doing just pads or pad a rotors?...
4.) Nope, open then and reseal them properly.
5.) It puts alot of strain on the stock shocks to use lowering springs, plus u have 105K on them already.... get new coil overs, do it right.
6.) Search, there are lots.
7.) You cant get a good setup with that amount of cash, wait and save up. A good amp just to power the two subs will be more than 300$
8.) Cant help ya there.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Check the 3G Garage for rear bumper removal instructions. You may need to loosen it up a bit, then put it back on. When I did my tail lights, I really had to "do the bump" with my hips to get it back in place, but I'm a slender guy so it may have taken a bit more force than some of you larger fellas out there!
Also, on #4 you may try removing the bulb and holding the end of a shop vac near the opening to try to remove the condensation. Of more concern is how the moisture is getting in there in the first place. Have the lights ever been opened?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Im assuming they were opened for them to be leaking. Hence why I sugjested he re-seal them
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
- What do you recommend for a relatively cheap, yet ample sub/amp combo? I know this will sound dumb, but are xplodes any good. I have a good friend who swears by them and they don't sound bad at all to me.

- I'm over 100k, so shouldn't I be replacing the pads and the rotors? Also, what's wrong with the ones I found?

- As far as suspension, I think I'm going to get the Neuspeed Super Sport Kit. Now I just have to decide between race or sport springs.

Originally Posted by dwb993
Check the 3G Garage for rear bumper removal instructions. You may need to loosen it up a bit, then put it back on. When I did my tail lights, I really had to "do the bump" with my hips to get it back in place, but I'm a slender guy so it may have taken a bit more force than some of you larger fellas out there!
Also, on #4 you may try removing the bulb and holding the end of a shop vac near the opening to try to remove the condensation. Of more concern is how the moisture is getting in there in the first place. Have the lights ever been opened?
Thanks! I'll definitely try that tomorrow for the rear bumper! As far as the fogging headlights, I don't even know how to access the bulbs. And no, I've never opened the lights.

Got a some stuff done today.

* Wash/Wax/Vacuumed.
* Random spot cleaning/treatment.
* Fixed the rear deck rattle for the most part.

Only things left to do are;
* Clean headlights.
* 3rd brake light, how do I stop mine from rattling. I fixed the rear deck but there's still a rattle coming from the edge of the 3rd brake light (on the outline where it should be sealed to the window). Anyone know how to fix this?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
a dab of silicone seal on its edge to hold the brake light to glass?

headlights- the stock seal leaks and water gets inside from overnight moisture or car washing- have to take apart and reseal

For glazed look on lens outside- $10 headlight polishing kit and a drill will fix that

On waxing- see the special threads area and use claybar to remove grit, a few different grades of compounds to get scratches and swirls out, then lay on a coat of wax to protect it all. Will look like a mirror
Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea id take the headlight out and clear or black it out if you want, and reseal it, that will stop it.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
-
Only things left to do are;
* Clean headlights.
* 3rd brake light, how do I stop mine from rattling. I fixed the rear deck but there's still a rattle coming from the edge of the 3rd brake light (on the outline where it should be sealed to the window). Anyone know how to fix this?
There is a TSB for the rear brake light---again, check the 3G Garage. I had my dealer replace mine. There is also a TSB for the rear shelf rattles---I will be scheduling that service today.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea iv gotta get in to have my rear deck fixed and they are shimming the timing belt for me to.