Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:36 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac compressor replacement

My 2005 Acura TL ac stopped blowing cold air. I noticed the clutch was not engaging at all and went through the steps of shorting pins 1 and 2 for the relay and was not able to get it to engage. I was able to get a ohm reading and it is open. No resistance. So I attempted to replace the pulley and coil but doing so when the pulley came off the end of the shaft where the C clip ring snaps on, broke off when the pulley came off. Now I have to replace the compressor. I bypassed the compressor with a shorter belt to get running and I am going to take it in to have them remove the Freon. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to order a compressor with the oil and o-rings for high and low side? Also does anyone know how many ounces of oil I need to put in the compressor before installing it? Thanks for your time.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
denso compressor from rock auto is the best deal with 5% off coupon. Buy Honda PAG OIL for the compressor. Once the whole system is evacuated and it is empty, it should be about 3-4 ounces of oil. I suggest you go to a shop and have them remove the freon/refrigerant. Remove the compressor, flush system out very well. Replace drier element and reinstall new compressor and have a shop hold it at vac for at least an hour to get rid of moisture. Refill with correct level of oil and refrigerant based on weight.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Good info, but check the oil as most come with oil installed.
Also I'd say that the flush/replacement of additional parts would not be necessary as the compressor didn't "self-destruct".
Just make certain that vacuum is pulled for quite some time before charging, 30 minute minimum.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:40 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the info that helps. I guess I will put about 3.5 ounces in then. I'll dump the oil out of the old to see how much comes out just to see. Took to shop this morning and they removed the freon. I got a compressor kit coming from Rock Auto tomorrow. Will put in this weekend.
Kit is coming with the drier. Any of you by chance know the location of the drier on a 2005 TL?
Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 67chevy
Thanks for the info that helps. I guess I will put about 3.5 ounces in then. I'll dump the oil out of the old to see how much comes out just to see. Took to shop this morning and they removed the freon. I got a compressor kit coming from Rock Auto tomorrow. Will put in this weekend.
Kit is coming with the drier. Any of you by chance know the location of the drier on a 2005 TL?
Thanks again.
behind the front bumper, if you lift the car you can gain easy access to the plastic cap and remove the element. Removing the other crap and flushing ensures there is no moisture/debris floating in the system that can trash your new compressor! Denso requires replacement of drier and flush to give warranty on new compressor.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

If the compressor is being replaced because of a broken part on the outside, there shouldn't be any need for a
replacement dryer or flush as there would be no contamination in the system, or purchase the dryer for $6 and
don't install it, but you'll have a receipt.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-09-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 AM
7th Gear

Thanks guys for the info I appreciate it.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:12 AM
7th Gear

Curious. I read on Denso website that if your just replacing the compressor and not flushing the system ( which is what I did) you should measure how much oil you get out of the old compressor and subtract it from the amount that is in the new compressor and then what you have left is how much you need to remove out of the new compressor. So the new compressor came with 90 mil. which is 3 ounces. The old had about 30mil. So that would mean that I remove 60mil. out of the new and leave 30mil.in. Which is 1 ounce left in new compressor. I left 35ml. incase I had a little left in old. Taking it in Tuesday to get it charged. Your thoughts?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 67chevy
Curious. I read on Denso website that if your just replacing the compressor and not flushing the system ( which is what I did) you should measure how much oil you get out of the old compressor and subtract it from the amount that is in the new compressor and then what you have left is how much you need to remove out of the new compressor. So the new compressor came with 90 mil. which is 3 ounces. The old had about 30mil. So that would mean that I remove 60mil. out of the new and leave 30mil.in. Which is 1 ounce left in new compressor. I left 35ml. incase I had a little left in old. Taking it in Tuesday to get it charged. Your thoughts?
depending on the shop and what machine they have they can may vacuum out the oil and have to add new oil after it's been at -29mmhg vacuum for a bit to ensure all the moisture is out of the lines. Honda/Denso ND8 PAG oil is the one that they will add back. The shop I use evacuates the oil and the refrigerant so I had to buy it from the local stealership for $50, it's $30 on acuraoemparts.com...
Old 07-14-2019, 05:15 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I am going to call the shop in the morning and ask them when the freon was pulled out by them did they also pull some oil. I did some more reading after putting the new compressor in and I read sometimes 1 ounce is pulled with the freon when decharging the system. Not sure if they kept a record of it since they knew I was coming back to have them recharge it after I replaced the compressor. After reading how if to much oil is in the system can damage your equipment I was a little confused now on how much I really needed to add since it is not being flushed. I read they can add some oil with the freon when charging but not alot. I right now have 1 ounce in the compressor since I only removed just under 1 ounce from the old. I can pull it out and add more, its not that difficult. I will see what they say in the morning. Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

It doesn't remove oil when recycled and the 1 oz. should be fine. With 7 oz in the system, thought maybe at first 1.5/2.0 oz, but if you measured it properly then the 1 oz. would be fine. Sometimes, if the compressor I'm installing is used, I don't check the amount, just dump it and add the proper amount, maybe 2-4 oz, but yours was a closed system so no problem.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:55 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good info... It's been a long summer without A/C and the replacement compressor I ordered isn't doing much good sitting in the trunk. Is holding the system at vacuum for an hour to eliminate moisture a critical step or just a best practice?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jdmvtec28
Good info... It's been a long summer without A/C and the replacement compressor I ordered isn't doing much good sitting in the trunk. Is holding the system at vacuum for an hour to eliminate moisture a critical step or just a best practice?
Once the system is opened, you'll need to pull vacuum to remove the moisture.