Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8K-35 watt or 55 watt HIDS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
8K-35 watt or 55 watt HIDS?

so have have been looking around to try and find out anything and everything i can about these hids. as of right now i have the stock hids in my 2003 TL and i want to put in 8K headlights and fog lights. but im not sure which is the best way to go for whatever reasons, not too worried about the money, illl pay for what i want. im not sure if i will have to change the ballasts if i bump it up to the 55 watt hids or not. im also not sure about the brightness/color difference between 35 and 55 watts 8K.
anything helps thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
I would not recommend doing any of the things you are planning.

1. Don't get 8000k bulbs. They have less light output than the stock 4300k bulbs, yet have more glare and cause more eye fatigue. Not to mention they're illegal, since they're pure blue, and headlights are only permitted to project yellow or white light.

2. Don't get a 55w kit. Please be respectful to other drivers. A 55w kit will cause excessive glare, and annoy other drivers.

3. Don't put HIDs in your fog lights. They're designed to use halogen bulbs, so putting HIDs in them will just result in lots of glare and a crappy scattered beam pattern with lots of hotspots. If you put a 55w hid kit in your fog lights the glare WILL be extreme. Believe me, I've seen cars with them and they're blinding in the daytime.
The following 3 users liked this post by splew:
JD TL-S (05-26-2012), kocyk123 (10-05-2015), Mug (05-24-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
2003 TL?

wrong board
The following users liked this post:
RainSupreme (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by splew
2. Don't get a 55w kit. Please be respectful to other drivers. A 55w kit will cause excessive glare, and annoy other drivers.
I agree with you on points 1 and 3, but you're incorrect on point 2. A 55w kit will not cause glare on projector headlights, not sure about HID reflector housing. Here goes two picture of my S2K AP1 retro with 55w ballast+Philip DL50 bulbs.

Close up, no glare

Far away, glare is due to the rain on the ground
Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Racer

^You're right that it wouldn't be nearly as bad in a good projector housing, there's still the "flickering" when the vehicle goes over bumps and stuff, which can be annoying to other drivers.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:38 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

1. Don't get 8000k bulbs. They have less light output than the stock 4300k bulbs, yet have more glare and cause more eye fatigue. Not to mention they're illegal, since they're pure blue, and headlights are only permitted to project yellow or white light.

3. Don't put HIDs in your fog lights. They're designed to use halogen bulbs, so putting HIDs in them will just result in lots of glare and a crappy scattered beam pattern with lots of hotspots. If you put a 55w hid kit in your fog lights the glare WILL be extreme. Believe me, I've seen cars with them and they're blinding in the daytime.
8000k is not pure blue its iceberg blue....barely blue. 10k is not even pure blue. Pure blue is 30k.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
8000k is not pure blue its iceberg blue....barely blue. 10k is not even pure blue. Pure blue is 30k.
I always thought 30000k was pink lol
Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
I've seen 8k in a friend's car and it's a bit ridiculous (very blue). If you want a slight tint of blue go with 6k.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

^You're right that it wouldn't be nearly as bad in a good projector housing, there's still the "flickering" when the vehicle goes over bumps and stuff, which can be annoying to other drivers.
To be fair though, you still have that flickering with stock 35w ballast and 4300k bulbs.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

My dad has the same exact car as i just a different color and he got the 10k bulbs by accident and i drove it at night and i couldnt really see much of anything. What is the stock bulb color for the 03 TLs because i would like to go with a little more blue? i have had an f350 in the past with 10k HID and that was perfect for me i loved them so much but granted i was up higher.

Hey and thanks all of you guys for your input.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Cruisin'

Oh and sorry just noticed that I was on the wrong board. HAHAHA
Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
dont get the 55w kit, it will burn your housing and cause chrome to flake, happened to me in my 02 tl stya with a 35w kit for both and order from ddmtuning.com
Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tommystyle86
dont get the 55w kit, it will burn your housing and cause chrome to flake, happened to me in my 02 tl stya with a 35w kit for both and order from ddmtuning.com
What kind of bulbs were you using?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
ddmtunings 6k 55w bulb. plus they were so stupid bright it would reflect off everything and you couldnt see shit
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From my experience, 8k looks different depending on the bulb company you go with. Ive had 8k on my previous 3g TL's and they did not look blue at all. Just a slight tint. However, I have seen a friend of mine that had 10k installed and that was pure BLUE!! Look at the pictures below of my previous and present car. They all have 8k, and the fogs are 35 watts.

Present car
Name:  9182a4e4.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  115.1 KB

Previous Car= in this picture the bulbs look alot bluer because of the time of day the picture was taken. I've noticed that when the sun is out you tend to see more of the blue hue and when its dusk the bulb appears less blue as in the picture above.

Name:  3ceb76b7.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  145.1 KB

Last edited by el.profe; 05-06-2012 at 09:16 PM.
JD TL-S (05-26-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tommystyle86
ddmtunings 6k 55w bulb. plus they were so stupid bright it would reflect off everything and you couldnt see shit
I can't say for reflector housing but using a 55w ballast with a factory HID bulb (philips, osram) will not burn the chrome in a projector.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Our projectors are fine to run 55w ballasts. They're big enough to disapte the heat just fine. Other projectors though I'd be careful though. I've talked to Mattat TRS already about running 55w in TL headlights and he said they'll be just fine.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Partially wrong: traffic code is according to state law, which varies (obviously).

2. I agree to a point, though not to "be courteous to other drivers". The 55w kit produces a bit more heat, and could result in warping your housing.

3. Wrong, if you know what you're doing.
el.profe (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
1. Partially wrong: traffic code is according to state law, which varies (obviously).

2. I agree to a point, though not to "be courteous to other drivers". The 55w kit produces a bit more heat, and could result in warping your housing.

3. Wrong, if you know what you're doing.
SMH
1. Actually headlamp color is regulated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, which covers the entire United States (hence the word Federal). Only white light is allowed.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7372328_blu...ight-laws.html

Most HID bulbs marketed as "8000k" actually have a blue tinted capsule, meaning they are technically no longer white, and hence illegal.

8000k bulb (blue tint)

2. I don't see what wrong with being courteous to other drivers.

3. I don't know where you're getting this. Putting rebased HID bulbs in a lamp designed for halogen bulbs (like that factory fog lamps) is illegal per FMVSS-108, which again covers the entire US.

This is for good reason too. The NHTSA has found that putting HID bulbs in a halogen housing simply doesn't produce the correct beam patterns or photometry.

Next time do a little research.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Racer

SMH
1. Actually headlamp color is regulated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, which covers the entire United States (hence the word Federal). Only white light is allowed.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7372328_blu...ight-laws.html

Most HID bulbs marketed as "8000k" actually have a blue tinted capsule, meaning they are technically no longer white, and hence illegal.

8000k bulb (blue tint)

2. I don't see what wrong with being courteous to other drivers.

3. I don't know where you're getting this. Putting rebased HID bulbs in a lamp designed for halogen bulbs (like that factory fog lamps) is illegal per FMVSS-108, which again covers the entire US.

This is for good reason too. The NHTSA has found that putting HID bulbs in a halogen housing simply doesn't produce the correct beam patterns or photometry.

Next time do a little research.
1. I understand the meaning of "Federal" perfectly, thanks. This may be something worth looking into, as State vs. Federal statutes often impede on each other, so there is no definite right/wrong answer to this.

2. In my statement, I never said the goal to be "not courteous" to people, you naturally made a childish assumption. I simply verified that my reason for not doing this, would be because of a heat/warped housing issue. Perhaps you should spend a little more time perusing an explanation rather than writing a childish retort.

3. Again, taken out of context and manipulated to create a false argument. Your original argument was: "putting HIDs in them will just result in lots of glare and a crappy scattered beam pattern with lots of hotspots" In no way, shape, or form did I claim these were illegal, you took this upon yourself to create a false argument on. My statement simply stated that, under the right circumstances, skills, materials, etc: these "hotspots" and other discrepancies could be avoided/perfected.

Also, I would suggest keeping things like "Next time do a little research." to yourself.

p.s.- next time you want me to research a topic, provide me a subject TO research that your deluded brain hasn't conjured into existence.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Racer

1. I understand the meaning of "Federal" perfectly, thanks. This may be something worth looking into, as State vs. Federal statutes often impede on each other, so there is no definite right/wrong answer to this.

2. In my statement, I never said the goal to be "not courteous" to people, you naturally made a childish assumption. I simply verified that my reason for not doing this, would be because of a heat/warped housing issue. Perhaps you should spend a little more time perusing an explanation rather than writing a childish retort.

3. Again, taken out of context and manipulated to create a false argument. Your original argument was: "putting HIDs in them will just result in lots of glare and a crappy scattered beam pattern with lots of hotspots" In no way, shape, or form did I claim these were illegal, you took this upon yourself to create a false argument on. My statement simply stated that, under the right circumstances, skills, materials, etc: these "hotspots" and other discrepancies could be avoided/perfected.

Also, I would suggest keeping things like "Next time do a little research." to yourself.

p.s.- next time you want me to research a topic, provide me a subject TO research that your deluded brain hasn't conjured into existence.

Forgive my "childish" responses, but I don't particularly appreciate when I'm trying to give advice to someone, and then someone else comes in callously saying "wrong, wrong, wrong", basically implying that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's fine if you disagree with me or think I'm wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to be a tad more polite about it and at least provide some info or sources to back up your claims.

As for #1 The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards are a federal law and any motor vehicle (capable of exceeding 20mph) registered for on road use in the US must comply with them. In other words, even if your state says blue headlights are ok, they're still illegal as FMVSS takes precedence. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html

As for #2, I originally was trying to advise against 55w HIDs because they are bright enough to really annoy other drivers. Even in a good HID projector with a good cutoff, the "flicker" effect (which many people already find annoying with factory HIDs) is made even worse. As for 55w HIDs in a reflector housing, I've seen them in person. The glare is extreme even in broad daylight.

As for #3, it's simply not true. There's a lot you can do to a halogen reflector with HID bulbs to make it look nicer, but the beam pattern and focus will never truly be correct. Things like glare or "casper" shields can yield a nicer cutoff, but the light distribution will still be a mess.

Incandescent (halogen) and gas discharge (HID) bulbs have very different light output shapes, and hence their lens/reflector optics are designed very differently. Putting a HID bulb in a lamp designed to reflect and shape the light of a halogen bulb is like trying too see properly with glasses of the wrong prescription. Not to mention that these halogen-to-HID kits almost all use D2S bulbs stuck into halogen bases, which completely moves the light source, and ruins the focusing.

A little illustration (halogen left, HID right):

Here's a test of the photometry (measurement of the visible light) of a factory HB4 (9006) halogen bulb versus a "HID conversion". (Spoiler, the HID kit fails badly). http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/H..._HID_Retro.pdf

This stuff has been extensively studied by the way, so it's not just me making things up. Some further reading on this: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by splew; 05-08-2012 at 01:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by splew:
JD TL-S (05-26-2012), woodworkerii (05-27-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Racer

I appreciate the material.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Racer

I appreciate the material.
No problem.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, so if I wanted to install 8000ks it would be illegal?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SomeWh1teGuy
Wait, so if I wanted to install 8000ks it would be illegal?
Most likely, yes.

You can tell if your bulbs are street legal by looking at the base, it should read "DOT." Like this for example
SomeWh1teGuy (05-29-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
honestly, with all the modded cars out there today, 8000k hids most likely wont get you pulled over. illegal or not, most cops are too busy catching people speeding instead of having blue lights. at least thats true in socal anyways
Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts
It is illegal to have blue in your headlight? Somewhat yes, somewhat no. A hint of blue would be ok, but blue blue would not be. Would the cops pull you over? Depends on the city and the cops. Would it give them a reason to "harass" you? Most likely.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StiCkY~RiCe
It is illegal to have blue in your headlight? Somewhat yes, somewhat no.
Not somewhat yes, somewhat no.

Is it illegal to have X bulbs in your headlights?
If DOT stamped on the bulbs -> Not illegal
There is no DOT stamp -> Illegal

Whether or not you get caught is a different story.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
All technical talk aside, why would you want to run lights that perform worse? It seems like people run these for only one reason: to get attention. It's one thing to put an HID kit in a car that didn't come from the factory, but why put them in a car that already has HID? You spend the money and others are tortured. Not to mention the fact that this fad started because of the type of headlights our cars already have!

I really don't mind people spending money on mods that I think look dumb. It gives us something to laugh at. But mods that infringe on other's rights are not funny. Blinding blue lights and loud ass exhausts just piss me off. LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME. LOOK, I GOT THIS THING I SAW SOMEONE HAVE. IT'S COOL. Right?
kocyk123 (10-06-2015)
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^ Also using a 55w instead of 35w causes the color to be washed out. I.E. using 8000K bulbs (retarded in every way imo) with 55w ballast not only is brighter but lowers the kelvin rating. Basically you end up with a bright ass 6000K bulb, but there's nothing better than sticking with 4300K or the Osrams CBIs or SVS. The SVS are technically the brightest bulbs now (brighter than the CBIs according to the lumens rating. Only difference is the SVS 4100K and CBI's 5000K)
Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I recently bought a 2007 Type-S and the previous owner had yellow H8 bulbs in the fogs lights I went to 6 stores to find only 35w Halogen Sylvania bulbs for $15 ea.
One place have a set of UNO brand 35 watt HID kit with everything installed for $165.
I just want a fog bulb thats as white as the main OEM HID headlights. The Sylvania H8 bulbs I bought are still yellowish

Not sure what to do or what to buy. I checked out V-LEDS and they didnt have a good selection ?
I guess I should just buy Halogen H8 bulbs, but not sure which brand and what color?
4300k, 5000k, 6000k, 8000k. Like others said it also depends on the Brand ?
Please help
Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I recently bought a 2007 Type-S and the previous owner had yellow H8 bulbs in the fogs lights I went to 6 stores to find only 35w Halogen Sylvania bulbs for $15 ea.
One place have a set of UNO brand 35 watt HID kit with everything installed for $165.
I just want a fog bulb thats as white as the main OEM HID headlights. The Sylvania H8 bulbs I bought are still yellowish

Not sure what to do or what to buy. I checked out V-LEDS and they didnt have a good selection ?
I guess I should just buy Halogen H8 bulbs, but not sure which brand and what color?
4300k, 5000k, 6000k, 8000k. Like others said it also depends on the Brand ?
Please help
try 5k H8: Morimoto Elite HID System at
http://www.theretrofitsource.com
JD TL-S (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 03:23 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Is anyone here running 55w in the projectors?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Azndjay
try 5k H8: Morimoto Elite HID System at
http://www.theretrofitsource.com
Awesome Do you have these ?
Are there any pics on AZ with these ?
I have searched alot and dont want to open another thread unless I have to.
So do these fit into the fog lights on the 07 Type-S ? They look like they do ?

Have an Awesome Holiday AZ
Old 05-27-2012, 12:21 PM
MV612

they should fit into the fog light since there h8 ..you cant go wrong with Morimoto there comparable to oem hid. no pic sorry . my friend has them on his scion and the light output was amazeing you cant go wrong. only hard part was trying to match the lighting with oem headlight
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM
2003 CL

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Morimoto 5000K HID bulb

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Awesome Do you have these ?
Are there any pics on AZ with these ?
I have searched alot and dont want to open another thread unless I have to.
So do these fit into the fog lights on the 07 Type-S ? They look like they do ?

Have an Awesome Holiday AZ
Here are some photos of my Nissan Pathfinder using the Morimoto H4 5000K HID Elite System. Compare them to the factory fog lights & you can see the big difference.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by hotclick56; 05-27-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 AM
MV612

Talking

Originally Posted by Mug
All technical talk aside, why would you want to run lights that perform worse? It seems like people run these for only one reason: to get attention. It's one thing to put an HID kit in a car that didn't come from the factory, but why put them in a car that already has HID? You spend the money and others are tortured. Not to mention the fact that this fad started because of the type of headlights our cars already have!

I really don't mind people spending money on mods that I think look dumb. It gives us something to laugh at. But mods that infringe on other's rights are not funny. Blinding blue lights and loud ass exhausts just piss me off. LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME. LOOK, I GOT THIS THING I SAW SOMEONE HAVE. IT'S COOL. Right?
I added ddm hid to my rsx , becuase got tired of my oem blub blowing out every two weeks because of the bumps on the hwy. Every since then i havent change them out 5 years strong ..i didnt really care for color and style . It was just a pain free from changing the lights every week
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to get 8000k hid low beams, stuck on whether to get 35w or 55w, what would be the best way to go?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpef80
I'm looking to get 8000k hid low beams, stuck on whether to get 35w or 55w, what would be the best way to go?
Stay away from 8000K because you're losing luminosity for nothing. Go for a quality 35W kit from The Retrofit Source Inc 5000K or 6000K if you want a tinge of blue.
EvilVirus (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
I guess he didn't read the thread.