AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Is the 6MT Slave Cylinder Delay Valve Delete Harmful? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/6mt-slave-cylinder-delay-valve-delete-harmful-980635/)

JesseX 06-29-2019 12:04 PM

Is the 6MT Slave Cylinder Delay Valve Delete Harmful?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I'm a college student who has had a 6MT 3G TL for quite some time. I love the car but holy crap I feel like a newb every time I shift from 1st to 2nd. My other shifts are usually okay, but 1st to 2nd is always bumpy. The only way I ever get it to shift smoothly is if I baby it when I disengage the clutch, but then that ends up making me drive super slowly haha.

I'm seeing that there is a valve that delays engagement of the clutch, and I'm interested in removing it. However, I found this thread on a Civic forum (link attached) where a user wrote that

"You guys do realize that this valve keeps the pressure from blowing the seals over time in upstream part of the system right? It's there to control the pressure feedback when the pressure plate springs release. With it out there is a pulse of high pressure back into the system that puts a lot of extra pressure on the clutch master cyl seals. This valve controls that flow to even out the upstream pressure. Honda puts it there for a reason. This lil trick has been around for a while and I have personally replaced failed parts because of it. It's not like the engineers at Honda put extra crap in there just to hinder performance on the car. If this was a reliable way to run the system i'm sure they wouldn't have included it. By doing this mod you will prob see premature seal failure and will prob end up sitting on the side of the road when the seals fail and the clutch won't engage. Just some food for thought."

I had no idea this was the case. Have any of you experienced bad effects of the delay valve delete? Any advice?

Thanks

justnspace 06-29-2019 01:42 PM

i've had my car for 9 years with the delay valve deleted for about 7 or 8 years.
my master cylinder is working just fine

justnspace 06-29-2019 01:45 PM

:woot: in Feb 2020, i'll have had my car for 10 years!

horseshoez 06-29-2019 02:01 PM

My CDV was only done a year ago; from a mechanical perspective, unless you are constantly banging gears and popping the clutch, then there will be no adverse issues with the CDV.

JesseX 06-29-2019 02:12 PM

That's good to hear. So removing it is definitely worth it?

Is it hard to remove the slave cylinder? I've never worked on my car and my dad told me it's a difficult operation.

srg818 06-29-2019 02:21 PM

Attempting to make those perfect shifts with the valve in place makes it more difficult while putting more wear on your clutch and drivetrain than if you had just removed that valve and had a more predictable friction point in the clutch travel. I've had mine removed over a year with no problems. Don't go banging through gears like it's stolen.

subinf 06-29-2019 04:20 PM

One of the best thing I've done to the car. Probably 200k on the clutch since it was done.

1black_seven 06-29-2019 05:25 PM

Delete the check valve and get it re-tuned. Hondata will improve the feel of the shifts.

Not having the check valve can put extra shock through the transmission but its not going to kill it. I VTEC every day and have not had an issue.

sockr1 06-29-2019 06:39 PM

I’ve had mine out for probably 6-7 years and no issues at all. Still on original clutch too 126k miles

o4Komodo 06-29-2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16446376)
:woot: in Feb 2020, i'll have had my car for 10 years!

Whoa! You’re still around with the TL? Siiick. Is the TL still constantly on jacks? 😂

o4Komodo 06-29-2019 09:01 PM

KTuned has these slave master cylinder delete mods but none specifically for the J (not the last time I checked anyway). So I’m confident it’s not that big of an issue to worry about unlit as you’re REALLY rough and/or really bad at shifting.

JesseX 06-29-2019 09:04 PM

Thank you for all your comments. It's really good to hear that you all have no trouble.

Does anyone have a master source for removing the slave cylinder? I've been searching for guides and youtube videos but I'm finding that all of these sources are leaving out details like tools. The job is intimidating me but I don't have the cash to get a mechanic to do it haha.

sockr1 06-29-2019 09:22 PM

It’s a straight shot in the engine bay I think it’s two bolts

justnspace 06-30-2019 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by o4Komodo (Post 16446501)
Whoa! You’re still around with the TL? Siiick. Is the TL still constantly on jacks? 😂

:rofl:

:pofl:

i figured out the trick; if i dont mod it, it wont break!
I havent touched it in the last few years , meaning i'm done modding!

justnspace 06-30-2019 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16446506)
It’s a straight shot in the engine bay I think it’s two bolts

will also need a second hand for bleeding the clutch. unless one can devise a device to hold the clutch fork, like a short block of wood

Acura TL Builder 06-30-2019 10:28 AM

There is a guide to removing the Check Valve on this obscure thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...harger-965385/

Acura TL Builder 06-30-2019 01:25 PM

Only thing harmful about the CVD is loosing races knowing you could have otherwise won.

looser move.

truonghthe 06-30-2019 06:36 PM

The only effect you will see on CVD is the motor mount will get torn earlier (like the OEM one lasted anyway).

Vlad_Type_S 07-01-2019 04:43 PM

Can confirm. Had mine deleted for several years now (idk, like 5?). Just changed the clutch fluid a few weeks ago - no leaks anywhere or any other issues. Just don't dump the clutch to prevent excess hydraulic pressure and large, sudden loads on engine mounts. Shifts are more predictable (note: they aren't easier, necessarily, just more predictable). This mod doesn't cure bad driving. If anything, it will punish your mistakes more severely. BUT at least something that has a predictable feel is capable of being learned.

sockr1 07-01-2019 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S (Post 16447162)
Can confirm. Had mine deleted for several years now (idk, like 5?). Just changed the clutch fluid a few weeks ago - no leaks anywhere or any other issues. Just don't dump the clutch to prevent excess hydraulic pressure and large, sudden loads on engine mounts. Shifts are more predictable (note: they aren't easier, necessarily, just more predictable). This mod doesn't cure bad driving. If anything, it will punish your mistakes more severely. BUT at least something that has a predictable feel is capable of being learned.

did you do a full bleed or just replace the fluid in the reservoir...debating doing mine as well

Acura TL Builder 07-01-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16447179)
did you do a full bleed or just replace the fluid in the reservoir...debating doing mine as well

Replace the reservoir fluid twice and it’s no different?

truonghthe 07-02-2019 12:55 PM

I had the mechanic at the dealer flush the entire system not one but twice, we half joke "you got the cleanest clutch fluid in town". The pedal feels definitely better, oh to top that off he also re adjust the pedal point of engagement, the pedal feels good now.

Back to the question of CVD.

Stock form - you will eat motor mounts
bolt on with sticky tires - engine mounts and axle will paying for it.
mods with sticky tires, upgrade axle, motor mounts along with stage 3 clutch - your 2nd/ 3rd gear will living in borrow time.

Vlad_Type_S 07-02-2019 05:25 PM

Full bleed. I just bleed the slave, while topping off the reservoir, until the fluid runs clear. I think I used about half a bottle to get it all the way through.

WDPanda 07-02-2019 11:02 PM

CDV delete is a must. And learning not to drop your clutch wrong. One time I did a vacuum bleed no problem. 2nd time i had a problem. Now I will only do the 2 person bleed for the clutch.