3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 day onwership write up ‘08 Base Navi (if anyone cares)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 day onwership write up ‘08 Base Navi (if anyone cares)

Bought the car from GTMotorsPA.com a dealership 20 minutes away in philly and they were very flexible with price. Car was listed a little under 7,500 and got it for high 6.
I got it with 139,000 miles on it, it’s Carbon Bronze Pearl, and the paint is pretty roughed up. There are some deep scratches on one of the rear doors and there are lighter surface scratches throughout the car, and there is about a 2 square inch spot of paint fading at the very top center of the hood. I love the sparkle of the paint under the sunlight and it really is a cool color. Going to buy a Carbon Bronze touch up kit and do my best.
The interior was redone before I bought the car, the back bench and both front seats had all the padding/cushioning replaced, and the front seats each had the center with the perforated leather replaced. I don’t know if it’s the new cushions (I assume it partially is) but I have a hard time finding a perfectly comfortable position. With that said I am happy with the ride. The 10 year old stock suspension seems to actually have very good dampening and rebound stiffness and it goes over slight road imperfections, as jersey has many, very well. The car corners surprisingly flat and the grip is great, but that may also be the fresh Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3’s that came on the car. The steering is somewhat heavy and gives a genuine feel for the road. While I don’t have the Type-S which I know can exhibit this much more, I really don’t have many issues with torque-steer and it doesn’t get in the way very often. I get that the TL is a fairly small and fairly light car to begin with, and it certainly carries itself that way. It
I came from a torque-y mid 2000’s Lexus V6 and so while the 3.2 vtec is different, I really do love it. I believe the auto that it’s paired with to be one of the nicest 5 speeds for under 10 grand. At parking lot and shopping center speeds, however, the transmission can be jerky and indecisive as to whether it wants 1st or 2nd. Even the 2017 BMW 440i with a 10 speed that I spend some time driving has this issue however, and I think there are certain gearboxes that simply do not operate well in that environment. I find it easy enough to get it to kick down and really pull when I need to take off and make a pass. One thing that has really impresssed me for a six-and-a-half thousand dollar car is the acceleration and torque that is still available at 70,80, and 90 mph. My college is a straight shot an hour down the highway from my home and I make the trip 3-5 times a month, and having that ability when I need to pass someone or move in tight spaces is very convenient.
I’m pretty happy with the general quality of the car. It doesn’t have any bad rattles or loose panels. While the graphics certainly show their age the touch screen is very responsive, and all of the features still work. I’m very happy with the dash materials and the aluminum trim is a nice touch. Everything seems screwed in solid and *knock on wood* I really can’t seem to find any issues in the interior.
Overall I am very happy with the TL. There is certainly some work I want to do with it, but as a whole it is a great car. When you look at a car with leather heated seats and touch screen nav and with the power and speed the TL possesses, it really is one of the best values for a car under $7,000.
Any questions please feel free to ask, and I will be posting photos of my car within the next week probably.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:19 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Personally, $6.5K may be a tad high, but, I guess not... I got a 2008 base in silver with 103K, and sold it in May at 106,500... Starting tobreally regret it, byt it didn't have nav and it had several small mechanical issues... I got a 2011 Kia Optima for a lighter car that got better fuel economy, but honestly, it's barely any better...

And the EPS sucks!

Fix the hood paint, recondition, tie up loose ends on maintenance and it ought to last forever!!!

Can't wait for pics!!!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:21 AM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
To help with your parking lot/low speeds or stop and go situations, to avoid the jerking, I just put it in sport shift mode and shift up to 2nd gear from a dead stop/under 5mph. It'll stay in 2nd gear until you shift up in the sports mode or switch it back to D.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DementiaPhuro
To help with your parking lot/low speeds or stop and go situations, to avoid the jerking, I just put it in sport shift mode and shift up to 2nd gear from a dead stop/under 5mph. It'll stay in 2nd gear until you shift up in the sports mode or switch it back to D.
I never included it in the write up but I actually have started to do that, and also sometimes I’ll put it in Sport shift while on the highway when I want it to drop down just I can make it quicker. I still find Sport shift for be 1-2 seconds delayed, and I’m pretty sure that’s just characteristic of it being a 10 year old shiftable auto, right?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Personally, $6.5K may be a tad high, but, I guess not... I got a 2008 base in silver with 103K, and sold it in May at 106,500... Starting tobreally regret it, byt it didn't have nav and it had several small mechanical issues... I got a 2011 Kia Optima for a lighter car that got better fuel economy, but honestly, it's barely any better...

And the EPS sucks!

Fix the hood paint, recondition, tie up loose ends on maintenance and it ought to last forever!!!

Can't wait for pics!!!
it’s interesting you mention EPS in your KIA since 90% of modern cars have it, I love the heavy, genuine steering from the hydraulic set up on the TL.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 AM
Intermediate

Personally, $6.5K may be a tad high, but, I guess not... I got a 2008 base in silver with 103K, and sold it in May at 106,500

Can't wait for pics!!!
Also, not to be intrusive but roughly how much did you buy and sell it for? And I am happy with the price paid, most was insurance money as my lexus was hit and totalled by someone else while I was driving. The interior has been redone and mechanically the car is perfect, and for me if a car of this caliber can operate smoothly without error at this price point I will gladly take that level of performance and comfort for that cost, especially when backed by Honda reliability.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:15 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by CarbonBronze08_TL

it’s interesting you mention EPS in your KIA since 90% of modern cars have it, I love the heavy, genuine steering from the hydraulic set up on the TL.

And I plan to go back! My Optima with a 2.4 I4 is averaging 16.64 MPG!
Old 12-12-2018, 02:21 AM
Null and proud of it

Also, not to be intrusive but roughly how much did you buy and sell it for? And I am happy with the price paid, most was insurance money as my lexus was hit and totalled by someone else while I was driving. The interior has been redone and mechanically the car is perfect, and for me if a car of this caliber can operate smoothly without error at this price point I will gladly take that level of performance and comfort for that cost, especially when backed by Honda reliability.

Had a 2008 Camry that I hated, had it for 3 months, got $7200 on trade and paid difference of $1825 for TL, it was $8900...

Traded TL, got $5300, paid $5800 for Optima and paid $624 difference...

2008 Toyota Camry SE 2.4 133K miles (Red/Gray)

2008 Acura TL base non-tech 103K miles (Silver/Black)

2011 Kia Optima EX Premium Package 165K miles (now at 171,715) (Black/Biege)

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 12-12-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Waa
Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 AM
Intermediate

And I plan to go back! My Optima with a 2.4 I4 is averaging 16.64 MPG!
if you don’t mind my asking what trim level, packages and year? I have become a bit curious of Kia after the release of the stinger (which I think is an awesome car and would certainly buy with 40k) and also their supposedly more “updated” engines and tech over the last few years.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:58 AM
Null and proud of it

if you don’t mind my asking what trim level, packages and year? I have become a bit curious of Kia after the release of the stinger (which I think is an awesome car and would certainly buy with 40k) and also their supposedly more “updated” engines and tech over the last few years.

Oh, they're pretty dang reliable... Fuel Economy used to be pretty low on many models... But that has likely changed by now! They're better than most brands!

It's a 2011 Optima EX 2.4 6AT with the premium package, leather, pano roof, heated/cooled seats, push to start but no nav on mine...

Here's a video of it...

Here's a 0-60 but it is weighed down with cargo...

Hope you can see the interior, it was at night... It's in nearly perfect condition for 5 owners and 170K miles, but I just don't like it much... Too much like a Camry... I miss the "Acura feel", if you know what I mean...

Old 12-12-2018, 03:02 AM
Null and proud of it

I also have a 2007 Acura RDX tech, and talk about a really fast, sporty suv!!! It's just a tiny bit smaller than your Lexus was!

Hit a tight corner, about 20 mph, turn VSA off, put it in second gear, and 1/2 through corner, floor it, and you'll be tail out drifting, thanks to SH-AWD!!!
Old 12-12-2018, 03:04 AM
Null and proud of it

Here's when I got the TL!!!

I done did something!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 12-12-2018 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Spacd needed dik!€€€⬇⬇😛