Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3G TL Type S Overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Fuck paying over 10k for a TL. It's a common vehicle that sold more than the 500 thousand.

during current times, Pay over 10k, and you got played
Thats a stupid comment.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
llllBULLSEYE (07-24-2017), Navyman72 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:06 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Fuck paying over 10k for a TL. It's a common vehicle that sold more than the 500 thousand.

woah justnspace I payed 13k for mines

2007 KBP 84k miles I think I got a good deal. Lol
Old 07-24-2017, 04:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Thats a stupid comment.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
So the consensus is its overpriced, if this was your car and you were selling it you all would list it for way less? I seriously doubt it.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:55 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
So the consensus is its overpriced, if this was your car and you were selling it you all would list it for way less? I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted by nanxun
Checks all the boxes. Looks in pristine condition. Pricing makes sense, since they paid $19k for it at auction, then probably had to put some $$$ towards getting it detailed and up to showroom snuff.

So, can't fault them for the $24k price. Still, I wouldn't be willing to pay that much for this car. I hate to say it, but the TL-S is not a classic that will appreciate, if only because so many were made.

"Fair market price" is only what one single buyer is willing to pay for something.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
^^^ Actually I would not buy that car and here is several reason behind it.

1. Sure the car is in mint if not almost new condition.
2. TL-S MT sure are rare in certain combo but in no way they have the same used car market as 1st gen NSX.
3. You really can't put alot of miles in the car since you don't want the car to decrease in value.
4. What the point of spending $22-$26K car and let it sit and you really can't enjoy it, remember its a TL and not a Vette or NSX

The owner of the TL above trying to flip car and I saw several time he and the other guy trying to sell the car for $26k in the end no one paying that much for a 11 years old car that they ca't put mileage into it and the tech is out dated.
Boom hit all the right points.

The problem with these rare combo 3G TL is that while it is somewhat sporty and has a small following....it's not going to be on many collectors' minds...and so the community that would continue to shell out for these things will diminish....as opposed to true classics that will virtually guarantee increase in value.

THe issue with buying these low mileage 3G TL is that you cannot put lot of miles on it. Because you paid such a premium...and UNLESS you truly want to drive this specific car (which I think the gruop is VERY small), then you have to keep it as a weekend/low mileage status. And unless you own it purely for sentimental/emotional reasons, you would want the car to appreciate and maybe sell it years later for profit.

The problem is in 2027 will anyone pay $30,000 for a 2008 KBP TL-S 6MT? Because if it is truely a collectible car someone will....but this seems hard to fathom.

Of course the gamble is that in 10 years there will be virtually no other 3G TL in similar condition unless you have other collectors who are also stashing these in their garage and they try to unload them too.

And you find that one guy/girl how has been lusting after a 2008 3G TL in 2027/2028 and would pay high dollar for it....

Eh if its an early year 3G TL sure you likely will want to pay less than 10k. (I paid 7500 for my 06 TL 3 years ago).
But later TLs are reasonably priced at 10-15k.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Navyman72
woah justnspace I payed 13k for mines

2007 KBP 84k miles I think I got a good deal. Lol
Originally Posted by nist7
Eh if its an early year 3G TL sure you likely will want to pay less than 10k. (I paid 7500 for my 06 TL 3 years ago).
But later TLs are reasonably priced at 10-15k.
Back in late-Feb. 2017 I paid $10k on the nose (actually, $9950) for a 2007 base model (3.2L, auto tranny, no navi) with 60k miles on the clock.

5 months later, I'm seeing similar examples (in boring neutral colors) with 75k-80k on the ODO listing at $11.5k or higher.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nanxun
Back in late-Feb. 2017 I paid $10k on the nose (actually, $9950) for a 2007 base model (3.2L, auto tranny, no navi) with 60k miles on the clock.

5 months later, I'm seeing similar examples (in boring neutral colors) with 75k-80k on the ODO listing at $11.5k or higher.
Nice deal.

Maybe you looked around quite a while before settling on that deal? I know for car enthusiasts we generally are more likely to score nice deals and snag up nice cars. Also listed pricing may not be the final transaction price after negotiations are done.

Used car lots (which where I think many laymen buy their cars from) are notorious for ridiculous markup and I'm not surprised they are that high. My own TL was acquired from a private seller and even then they wanted 8500 as the initial asking price.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Maybe you looked around quite a while before settling on that deal? I know for car enthusiasts we generally are more likely to score nice deals and snag up nice cars. Also listed pricing may not be the final transaction price after negotiations are done.
This has a lot of merit. You have to remember as enthusiasts (and we are definitely in the minority) we tend to spend more time researching and digging which makes us more particular and informed. Many folks don't look at cars the way we do. It's just a form of transportation to get us from point A to point B. In the example above, someone will see a nice clean car with the flashy boy - racer blue paint and fall in love with it. They may negotiate a couple of grand off the asking price and think they have done well and/or will ask their rich parents to pay for it. It's all what the market will bear and what a buyer is willing to pay..........................
Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Race Director

Nice deal.

Used car lots (which where I think many laymen buy their cars from) are notorious for ridiculous markup and I'm not surprised they are that high. My own TL was acquired from a private seller and even then they wanted 8500 as the initial asking price.
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
This has a lot of merit. You have to remember as enthusiasts (and we are definitely in the minority) we tend to spend more time researching and digging which makes us more particular and informed. Many folks don't look at cars the way we do. It's just a form of transportation to get us from point A to point B. In the example above, someone will see a nice clean car with the flashy boy - racer blue paint and fall in love with it. They may negotiate a couple of grand off the asking price and think they have done well and/or will ask their rich parents to pay for it. It's all what the market will bear and what a buyer is willing to pay..........................
Here's the funny thing: I actually didn't do that much research and bought my '07 TL off a dealer's lot. I think I may have just lucked out, perhaps because it was during the dead of winter?

Anyway, after unexpectedly losing my Mazda3 on Valentine's Day--in an accident nicknamed the "St. Valentine's Day Massacre"--I was left in a lurch w/out a DD and was starting to feel the pressure of time--that is, my insurance benefit of having a rental car (2017 Hyundai Elantra, piece of crap) was about to end.

At first my heart was firmly set on a 2013 Scion FR-S, even with all of its 1st year production problems and that notorious hole in the middle of the torque-curve. Was really hankering for the dynamics of a RWD sports coupe. Test drove a couple examples, one of which I took for a pre-purchase inspection. Even put an offer on that car, but it didn't work out.

After (reluctantly) letting go of the FR-S idea, I switched to looking at something less "whimsical" and more "practical"--namely, a 2G TSX and some 3G TLs. Test drove a TSX, but wanted more grunt under the hood.

Saw the car I'm in now listed on a dealer's website for $10.5k. Test drove it the same day and tried to talk them down to $9.5k. Ended up getting it for $9950 and have been pleased with it so far.

Like I said, I feel like I got lucky with this one example, which was purchased pretty hastily and without too much research.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Dang that is quite lucky it seems (as long as there are no hidden surprises...hopefully!).

One of the biggest advice that I give now to friends/family who ask me for car-shopping advice is....don't wait for the last minute if you don't have to. The biggest issue with people having to cough up big bucks for mediocre cars are used lots is because most people, I reckon (no data to prove but proably true), only buy another car when their last car goes dead and its not immediately fixable and they are in a big time-crunch to find another car quick.

If you have time to look at several sources daily, then you are more likely to find a good deal/car. I was lucky in that I had about 1-2 months shopping time so I actually looked at about 4-5 sites daily for 1.5months before settling on my TL which was 1-owner with all records(higher miles though but the owners seemed like careful drivers).
Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Due to limiting my search to 6MT cars, it took me a long time to find mine back in May, a long time like five months long and many dozens of cars (probably over 100). I ended up paying fifteen-hundred more than I wanted for a car (the seller was asking for three-thousand more) with 20,000 more miles than my goal (but this one had just had the timing belt service performed). The thing was, the car I bought was so very much cleaner than all but one of the cars I'd looked at, I took it for a test drive, and wrote out a check for the negotiated price and told the seller I'd be back to pick the car up after the check cleared.

The thing is, for virtually all of my driving life, I've bought new cars, more than half of which were special orders. As happy as I am with buying the TL for well under a third of its original sticker price; I admit shopping for it was a pain in the ass compared to going into a dealership and ordering exactly what I want.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
I was looking for a new car for a few weeks. I looked at civic Sis for a while, but felt cheaply made. And slow. I really wanted this 2009 honda accord ex-L v6 with 6 speed. I was prepared to buy it actually, but after I felt insulted by the salesperson I walked away from the deal.

I decided to look at the TL on a whim, mostly because it was very very similar to the 6-6 accord I was going to get. The deler that had my TL had two 6spd models. I only shop manual cars, but cross shop models because I enjoy variety.

The main reason I got sold was the salesperson was really nice, he offered me a very reasonable amount for my previous car, and he respected my time and purchase. Also the prices on the TLs were pretty competetive, because they were on the "back" lot where cars not sold after 90 days go to get discounted. It had some minor issues but as an enthusiast I knew I could fix them.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenSpades
I say it is worth $20,000 MAX.
Well the dealer bought the car at 19k at a auction so yeah this car is probably worth around 19-20k

the problem with buying a car at a premium price like this type-s is that you are still buying a car with almost 10 year old tech in it..
navi can still be useful but theres no lane departure warning, radar cruise control, side view camera, different driving modes, etc
also while the type-s isnt a gas guzzler, the newer measures and tech to increase MPG isnt going to be seen in this car either

so at the end of the day this price is truly for someone that wants to collect a 3rd gen 6spd type-s
Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Why do we have yet another thread about something as subjective as pricing.. 'Worth' is a product of market supply and demand. Just because YOU aren't willing to pay, doesn't mean someone else won't be willing to.