3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yayy for VALVE ADJUSTMENT (PICTURES INSIDE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yayy for VALVE ADJUSTMENT (PICTURES INSIDE)

My car has been making a tapping noise from the top end. I did my 1st adjustment a month ago and was rushing through it and made the noise worse.. Geez thanks..

I decided today was the day to take my time and go through with it again. Adjusting valves is all about feel, it's something you have to do over and over again to get it correct. This time around I finished in 5 hours. 1st time was about 7 hours and in which 3 1/2 of them were just sitting around talking and not really working. It's not hard it just takes time. So here it is.. For anyone wanting to do this well this will provide you with an idea on what's involved.

Oh boy here we go

Tool and proceedure ready

Here we go

Point of no return

Time to line up my 1st cylinder of the day

Adjusting time

BTW the pictures don't show it but I had the lower intake ports covered and for which ever head I wasn't working on at that moment was also covered. Coolant bypass hoses under the TB were closed off other wise they would spill lots of coolant.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks complicated
Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

It's not really, just takes a lot of time. It's harder to do the back head because of it's location.. But other than that it's a learning curve.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice writeup.. and you're absolutely right about having to feel it out. I've done probably 50+ valve adjustments when I was a tech and everytime I would do it twice just to be sure.

Its not hard at all, just takes time and some care. and the appropriate feeler gauges

btw, i love the wheel combo on wdp, looks badass
Old 05-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04WDPSeDaN, thanks for the nice photo documentation. I've wondered how hard it was to get the jewelry off to adjust the valves. Do you recall if the adjustment nuts were 10 or 12 mm? I have access to a valve adjustment tool for 10mm jam nuts.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Racer

Adjusting those back ones looks like a pain...

I have close to 90k miles and could really use a valve adjustment. Still debating if I want to do it myself or just let the dealer take care of it on the 105k mile tune-up.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:46 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Oracle_Oracle
04WDPSeDaN, thanks for the nice photo documentation. I've wondered how hard it was to get the jewelry off to adjust the valves. Do you recall if the adjustment nuts were 10 or 12 mm? I have access to a valve adjustment tool for 10mm jam nuts.
I used a 10MM Bleeder wrench. Really used for brake bleeders but it's the same shit to use. I used a small/ stubby flat head to adjust. The reason for the stubby and not a long one because it's all about feel.. A longer flat head could throw you off a shorter one will give you a better feel. It's important to check and re-check your adjustment after everytime you tighten the jam nut. It may tighten up more than you adjusted for..

The problem I have is still there at this point I have to run other tests like vtec rocker test and see why I still get a ticking noise at idle.. Stay tuned there shall be more pictures in the up coming days.
The following users liked this post:
shamal (12-14-2014)
Old 05-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Racer

You sure it's not just your injectors you're hearing? They make a pretty audible clicking/ticking noise as well.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:05 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

This noise is pretty loud when cold and as it's warm the noise gets quiet and sometimes goes away for a few seconds then comes back then goes away then back then away.. I am getting close to giving up on this..
Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
damn Gus!

shit looks crazyy

dont give up!! NEVER DO!!
Old 05-14-2009, 05:39 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

UPDATE:

Problem found. I have 2 intake rockers stuck on vtec. This seems to be a very strange and common issuse.. So common that the intake rocker shaft is on back order... Go figure..

So each Vtec rocker is 150 x 6
and each intake rocker shaft is 56 x 2
You get the idea... This really sucks.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know the TL used a roller valvetrain...

How many miles are on this engine?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Interesting, I didn't know the TL used a roller valvetrain...

How many miles are on this engine?
53k right now... What gets me is I rarely drive this car hard and take high priority in maintance and going the extra step but this is totally unacceptable. Between all intake/exhaust rockers and the shafts they sit on plus valve covers gaskets your looking at $1600 in parts alone...

For myself I only plan on replacing only the intake/vtec rockers with intake rocker shafts. I would be saving 500 or so because I am not touching the exhaust rockers with shafts. I shall have pictures today if they are still suck on vtec...

BTW I have the thank my boss for helping me through my recent problems and including this one. Not to many people would really care.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, How do you know if you need a valve adjustment ?

My engine runs silky smooth and no ticking what so ever (137K). What are the indications that your valves are out of adjustment ?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
53k right now... What gets me is I rarely drive this car hard and take high priority in maintance and going the extra step but this is totally unacceptable. Between all intake/exhaust rockers and the shafts they sit on plus valve covers gaskets your looking at $1600 in parts alone...

For myself I only plan on replacing only the intake/vtec rockers with intake rocker shafts. I would be saving 500 or so because I am not touching the exhaust rockers with shafts. I shall have pictures today if they are still suck on vtec...

BTW I have the thank my boss for helping me through my recent problems and including this one. Not to many people would really care.
Just for my own curiosity, what is your driving style? Do you hit vtec a lot or practically never? The reason I ask is that I drive very easy, hitting vtec maybe once a month if that. I've always wondered if I shouldn't do it more often.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah soo... how does one do a vtec test? I've read somewhere that Honda's generally require valve adjustments every so often.. when do we know it's time ?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just for my own curiosity, what is your driving style? Do you hit vtec a lot or practically never? The reason I ask is that I drive very easy, hitting vtec maybe once a month if that. I've always wondered if I shouldn't do it more often.
seems to be the trend...the more you hit vtec...the more you tick
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 PM
it's 4:20

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good write up I just did mine as well...

BTW: Snap-on makes a tool for valve adj, makes it sooo much easier..
Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

i am very calm with my car. Hit vtec maybe once every 2 weeks.. I barely take it that high.. besides gas is going up up up
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by timmahh
Yeah soo... how does one do a vtec test? I've read somewhere that Honda's generally require valve adjustments every so often.. when do we know it's time ?
It will make a nice tick tick tick tick then go away once fully warmed up..

Vtec test is simple... As you go to adjust cylinder number 1 it's already put in Top dead center. While there before adjusting anything you should be able to push the middle rocker down without problems. If it doesn't move by itself but rather with the 2 other rockers then you sir have a bad intake/vtec rocker. With my luck the intake rocker shafts are on back order for 3 months... GJ acura anyone want to buy my POS car?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

It will make a nice tick tick tick tick then go away once fully warmed up..

Vtec test is simple... As you go to adjust cylinder number 1 it's already put in Top dead center. While there before adjusting anything you should be able to push the middle rocker down without problems. If it doesn't move by itself but rather with the 2 other rockers then you sir have a bad intake/vtec rocker. With my luck the intake rocker shafts are on back order for 3 months... GJ acura anyone want to buy my POS car?
Any noticable change in performance, particularly low end torque?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Sorry for all the questions, but what oil have you been running? Were both failed rockers on the same head?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 PM
A Black TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hit vtec alot, and my new engine with 9k miles ticks alot lol, well it ticked alot when i first started up the car in the dealer.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:05 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Sorry for all the questions, but what oil have you been running? Were both failed rockers on the same head?
MB1 5-20 for the past 20k with o.e filter

Castrol edge 5-30 for the past 2k with o.e filter

one rocker failure for each head.

Performance wise yes I notice more gain to be honest. Power band felt like a rubber band. Weird to explain but This is my car and I noticed this noise when it was very quiet. Over time it got louder and I got concern. As of now I have my car put back together because I am not waiting 3 months for parts while my car is taken apart.

BTW i picked up this car at 24k, the guy who owned this before me didn't take much care of it. he drove this car from NJ To FL a few times so I'm sure he must have raced a few guys and down shifted hard into another gear it would only make sense.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Cookie N Cream TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hello 04wdpsedan, i wanted to ask is the valve adjusement under warranty if u have extended warranty because the dealer told me it isnt becuase its maintence and the dealer told me i would need 2 adjust my vavles and im having a lil ticking sound but its not that loud if everything is off and you can hear a lil bit but you said something about an intake what is that about? i drive alot and i have a fujita cai, you think something got into my intake?
Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 PM
7th Gear

the only time i hear a ticking noise from my engine is when im in a drivethrew and im right next to the wall with my window down, would this be the same ticking noise that yall are talking about?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraVic
What are the indications that your valves are out of adjustment ?
Ticking sounds from valve train while at idle, which increase w/rpm, or slight loss of acceleration/sluggish acceleration.
Originally Posted by ishtl
hello 04wdpsedan, i wanted to ask is the valve adjusement under warranty if u have extended warranty because the dealer told me it isnt becuase its maintence and the dealer told me i would need 2 adjust my vavles and im having a lil ticking sound but its not that loud if everything is off and you can hear a lil bit but you said something about an intake what is that about?
Valve adjustments are maintenance, as valves can get out of adjustment over time. OP is referring to adjusting the intake and exhaust valves, not the cold air intake.
Originally Posted by flakes
the only time i hear a ticking noise from my engine is when im in a drivethrew and im right next to the wall with my window down, would this be the same ticking noise that yall are talking about?
A ticking noise can come from different places for different reasons (heat shield, idler/tensioner, valves). For the valves, the ticking noise would come from the top of the engine at idle. Open the hood and see if the ticking is from along the top of the motor.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by ishtl
hello 04wdpsedan, i wanted to ask is the valve adjusement under warranty if u have extended warranty because the dealer told me it isnt becuase its maintence and the dealer told me i would need 2 adjust my vavles and im having a lil ticking sound but its not that loud if everything is off and you can hear a lil bit but you said something about an intake what is that about? i drive alot and i have a fujita cai, you think something got into my intake?
If you have a ticking noise and it is abnormal Acura should look at it under warranty. They will tell you this is normal or your car will tell you when your due for a valve adjustment. Which if you get either response please turn around and leave that dealership. What I said about intake was with the INTAKE ROCKER SHAFT or INTAKE ROCKERS. This is all related to inside the head. I heard a slight tapping noise and went with a valve adjustment which ended up making the noise worse. WHY you ask, well it's simple because if you have a bad rocker or rocker shaft when you adjust back to spec you are putting more load on that rocker yeah it's not much of a difference but being in .013 spec on intake now back to .008 mm spec that little bit of adjustment can make worn parts louder.. I hope you understand.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

To Will Y. Thank you for your awesome replies! You are right about everything.

If I can grab a camera to record this I will. Valve noise will be heard when you open your hood and hear it from that VTEC cover. TICK TICK TICK, the noise will get faster as you hit the gas from idle to 1,500-2,000. As your car fully warms up the noise will change to either GONE or very faint and will go away and come back but will always be faint. If this isn't the case and the noise is always there you might have a different problem and (a) or a (Few) rockers are completely bad.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
acura says `check if it needs a valve adjustment` at 100k miles!
that would mean do a valve adjustment- the ones out of spec needed adjustment

A reasonable person does it.. and the water pump-timing belt job, sooner than 105
Many of the same parts have to be removed, so save time or money
Check owner book maitenance -Severe Service -and see if you qualify

As for the car with bad shafts- call acura at 1-800-382-2238x5
The phone person cant help you,, but will write a compaint file and a real acura manager will call you back.
Simple Valve adjustment is NOT warranty item
BUT
Parts that have failed at approx 50k miles should be GOODWILL WARRANTY- where corp can allow anything it wants
Your engine should not have this problem- `common` or not!!
Thats in the same league as a trans failure 1k after warranty= acura can step up

Back in the day, they didnt step up for gen2 and lost a class action- now gen2 has a 7yr 109kmile trans warranty

gen3 should look into the valvetrain problem more,, and get some relief from acura

If no one reports a problem to corp- they dont know about it
Old 05-17-2009, 04:39 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

A reasonable person does it.. and the water pump-timing belt job, sooner than 105

The phone person cant help you,, but will write a compaint file and a real acura manager will call you back.
BUT
Parts that have failed at approx 50k miles should be GOODWILL WARRANTY- where corp can allow anything it wants
Thats in the same league as a trans failure 1k after warranty= acura can step up

Back in the day, they didnt step up for gen2 and lost a class action- now gen2 has a 7yr 109kmile trans warranty

gen3 should look into the valvetrain problem more,, and get some relief from acura

You know what you right, Ive never thought about it... I will call them right now. Thanks for the information because I am not happy about dropping $1,500 and to wait 3 months for parts.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

BUT

Good advice. This is an area where I'm lacking. I have to get really pissed to take it to a higher level.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:06 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

UPDATE:

I contacted Acura Corporation, they told me to send my car to Acura and let them figure out the problem so that they can discuss on a warranty claim.

It's been 4 days now and Acura is locating the problem with something in the heads.. Well duhh I could have told them that as well lol. They are not charging me labor to find the problem but I do owe the service writter a nice bottle of hennesy.

I should have an idea by wensday on what the problem is and what acura decided to do as far as a warrenty claim goes.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor

UPDATE:

I contacted Acura Corporation, they told me to send my car to Acura and let them figure out the problem so that they can discuss on a warranty claim.

It's been 4 days now and Acura is locating the problem with something in the heads.. Well duhh I could have told them that as well lol. They are not charging me labor to find the problem but I do owe the service writter a nice bottle of hennesy.

I should have an idea by wensday on what the problem is and what acura decided to do as far as a warrenty claim goes.
This is great information.

Please be sure to update us with any information they give you.

Question though: When you said that Acura to you to send your car to "Acura", what does that mean? Did you have them tow it to Ohio or I guess what I'm asking is where you sent the car.?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:47 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by linky33
This is great information.

Please be sure to update us with any information they give you.

Question though: When you said that Acura to you to send your car to "Acura", what does that mean? Did you have them tow it to Ohio or I guess what I'm asking is where you sent the car.?
Send it to any Local Acura Dealership. The dealership needs to locate the problem and them forward the information over to corp. and let them figure something out. EVEN if it's 50/50 Acura might covers the parts I would pay for labor besides I know everyone at the dealer who has my car. They are taking great care of me. My car has been inside their building in the air away from everyone to touch intill they need to work on it. They treat my car like it's a million dollars just because this is a car thats spotless and custom to what they see from other customers. Acura of Ramsey you guys rock!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
heres a DIY i made a couple of months back. its for a 2g but the instructions still apply (minus the valve clearance specs)

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/valve-adjustment-diy-progress-643700/
Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Advanced

wdpsedan, where did you get the chrome grill?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
hmmm I have the same ticking and I'm quickly approaching 90k.... something tells me I'll need more then a valve adjustment. I did buy my car w/ the CPO... so I wonder if I should have the dealer look into the noise as a possible warranty issue
Old 05-24-2009, 05:43 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by jnc2000
hmmm I have the same ticking and I'm quickly approaching 90k.... something tells me I'll need more then a valve adjustment. I did buy my car w/ the CPO... so I wonder if I should have the dealer look into the noise as a possible warranty issue
I would..
Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by iloveTL
wdpsedan, where did you get the chrome grill?
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Yayy for VALVE ADJUSTMENT (PICTURES INSIDE)