Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3G Cup Holder - Broken Sliding Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:42 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3G Cup Holder - Broken Sliding Door

So, an old topic, but more and more will likely start failing?

My sliding cover failed (about 2 inches from the handle) same as many folks. Decided to swap the whole assembly, rather than trying some of the various "temporary" fixes out there.

Price of the assembly has gone up, bought my for about $80 delivered from Acura OEM Parts (part of Delray Acura).

(For those whose sliding covers ARE still in tact -> would suggest you treat that cover very gingerly in the future! Not the strongest of designs really)

Just wanted to share this guy's video - it's a great video on swapping out the entire Cup Holder assembly:

There are other videos floating around out there, but do watch this guy's video if you are going to attempt the swap!

It is a fairly straightforward deal. But go slow and be careful. Don't force things!

Example? The first step you will do is to pry off the two "Garnish Assembly" trim pieces? Do NOT bend them - be careful! The each cost north of $200 to replace!

It took a little longer for my swap - same as this guy (in the video), I had two clips (one of each garnish assembly trim) pop off while removing - and I was very careful. The second clip from the top on both assemblies!
I wanted to find them, so I also loosened the Driver's Side and Passenger Side Console Side Covers. I was able to locate both clips, and put them back in place.

Do ensure you have true (plastic) trim removal tools - they are cheap and well worth it!
Having a longer Phillips head screwdriver will come in handy in a few spots.
Having a magnetic telescoping "grabber" came in real handy for me (getting the two clips that came off).
Old 05-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The following Youtube video is older but I used it with success in changing my cup holder. I would cover a very thin putty knife or small wonder bar with a piece of cloth when removing the long trim pieces. They scar easily if you do not.