3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Accord Sport replacement for TL Manual Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 Accord Sport replacement for TL Manual Trans?

With my TL being almost 13 years old thinking of the 2018 Accord Sport with the 2.0 Turbo and Manual Trans...looks promising, Gotta have a manual so choices are limited these days.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
with 272lbs of torque coming out of that turbo 4, it will be a fun ride!!
also, interior is GREAT and makes our 13 year old TL's interior look like childs play!

the exterior, especially the front end is weird looking...but if you spend all your time inside the car, it wouldn't matter much anyway.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:13 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Considering that myself. The 2018 Accord seems really HOT!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
It was added to my "list" to keep an eye on as well. My wife has me nearly talked out of a manual transmission....but I still have hope that there are options out there. Although the though of remote start is very appealing to go to an auto.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Do it. 2.0T 2018 6MT accord is the best midsize car out there, and man what a fun drive it will be!!!!

This is what one of the magazines said:

“Way to go Honda—you just made Acura irrelevant.” Senior features editor Lieberman summed up our consensus view: “The new Accord feels like Hondas of old when Honda’s gave you that special something, that little extra, that secret sauce, that X factor. I have no qualms declaring the new Accord the best car in its class—the best in some other classes, too."
Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
It was added to my "list" to keep an eye on as well. My wife has me nearly talked out of a manual transmission....but I still have hope that there are options out there. Although the though of remote start is very appealing to go to an auto.
Remote start has been on MT for decades now.

Usually you pull handbrake, put car in neutral, press button on remote start, remove key, get out of car and the car shuts off when you close the door and is ready to be remote started next time.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
I put the 2018 on my "List" as soon as it was announced, however, I just as quickly removed it from the list as soon as the details started leaking out. Why? A 2018 Accord Sport with the 2.0t and a 6MT is a strippo model, and while I demand three pedals under the dash of my cars, I also require lots of goodies and a leather interior.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

I thought 1.5T 6MT is stripper

and the 2.0T 6MT isn’t a stripper , given the price difference ?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^the two tone seats of whatever material it is, LOOKS GREAT TOO ME! and it comes with a "moon roof"!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
I thought 1.5T 6MT is stripper

and the 2.0T 6MT isn’t a stripper , given the price difference ?
Well, compared to the features available with the automatic transmission, the 6MT models are strippo units.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justnspace
^the two tone seats of whatever material it is, LOOKS GREAT TOO ME! and it comes with a "moon roof"!
exactly

what I hated about last 2013 sport was no moonroof

now new 6MT with moonroof I am sold

leather I can have a local shop do (if I want) with seat heaters way better than the average Honda leather

now is it gonna have all the amenities of the Touring model? No. But I am ok with that. The fact that I can get a man pedal in a bigger engine I am super happy with

thank you Honda
Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Is the 2018 accord for sale yet? I want to go test drive one...
Old 10-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Well, compared to the features available with the automatic transmission, the 6MT models are strippo units.
I get the feeling that Canadians will get lucky again, and get a decently appointed car available with 6MT.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Is the 2018 accord for sale yet? I want to go test drive one...
my local dealer said 3-4 weeks
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered Bunny

I get the feeling that Canadians will get lucky again, and get a decently appointed car available with 6MT.
Don't think we're gonna get Touring goodies with Sport stuff + MT though, Honda already cannibalizing Acura enough.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Latent car nut

Yeah, I've heard that in a couple of places. Hmmm, I live less than 200 miles from the Canadian border; wonder if I should buy one up there and bring it down.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
I put the 2018 on my "List" as soon as it was announced, however, I just as quickly removed it from the list as soon as the details started leaking out. Why? A 2018 Accord Sport with the 2.0t and a 6MT is a strippo model, and while I demand three pedals under the dash of my cars, I also require lots of goodies and a leather interior.
like you, i also had the 2.0t manual at the top of my list but once i heard the touring won't be available with the manual i dropped it from the list. i keep hearing great things about the next refresh for acura but i'll wait to see what it brings. leather is an absolute must for me and i was disappointed with the leather/cloth combo of the 2.0t manual (even though it looks better than i thought it would). i know it's possible to upgrade to leather after purchasing the car but that defeats the purpose of getting a new car for me if i have to reupholster it haha

overall i think it's a fantastic car though and i think honda really nailed it. i think the looks could be better but that can be overlooked IMO
horseshoez (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by polobunny
Remote start has been on MT for decades now.

Usually you pull handbrake, put car in neutral, press button on remote start, remove key, get out of car and the car shuts off when you close the door and is ready to be remote started next time.
Not a chance I will park a M/T car without it in gear....also...not a chance I will ever remember all of those steps ahead of time. I stop, e-brake, turn engine off, put in 1st, exit vehicle. Same routine I have been doing for 20 years. Heck, when I drive my wife's car, I still put two feet to the floor when I start it out of habit.

My driveway is stupid steep and would not be comfortable at all with my car sitting there with it out of gear. I know a properly adjusted e-brake should hold it just fine...but you know...they don't always stay properly adjusted and the worst way to find that out is having your car end up across the street in the neighbors yard.
polobunny (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Safety Car

Over 25 years of driving MT. Never left it in gear.

I stop car. Put it in N. Pull E brake. Turn off car.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Latent car nut

My driveway is stupid steep and would not be comfortable at all with my car sitting there with it out of gear. I know a properly adjusted e-brake should hold it just fine...but you know...they don't always stay properly adjusted and the worst way to find that out is having your car end up across the street in the neighbors yard.
Funny you say that, shortly after my son got his Driver's License he drove my car (which had three pedals under the dash) over to a friend's house, up the driveway ("up" as in figuratively and literally), set the parking brake, put in in neutral, and went inside. The car stayed put for over two hours, however, when he came out to drive home he discovered it had rolled down the driveway, across the street, through the ditch, over the front lawn, and ended up wrecked on a large boulder with both front wheels off the ground, the front bashed in, and the car sitting on the oil pan on top of the boulder.

Considering the number of little kids in the neighborhood, I was exceedingly grateful that was the only damage.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Registered Bunny

Not a chance I will park a M/T car without it in gear....also...not a chance I will ever remember all of those steps ahead of time. I stop, e-brake, turn engine off, put in 1st, exit vehicle. Same routine I have been doing for 20 years. Heck, when I drive my wife's car, I still put two feet to the floor when I start it out of habit.

I see where you're coming from, but you made it sound like it was unavailable, while in practice it's simply an issue of preference.

I guess in your case it's either you have a MT, or you have AT with remote starter.

Other solution is parking in a garage.
Jackass (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Latent car nut

From a purist perspective, remote starters are really bad for engines; if I'm ever forced to have one on one of my cars, I will never-ever use it.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by polobunny
Don't think we're gonna get Touring goodies with Sport stuff + MT though, Honda already cannibalizing Acura enough.
no, I didn't mean like that. But, the outgoing Accord Sport in Canada is better appointed than the American counterpart version. It was a decent amount of stuff too.. moonroof, led mirrors, 7" touch screen, 360 watt stereo, push start, remote start, blind spot camera, etc.

Yeah, I've heard that in a couple of places. Hmmm, I live less than 200 miles from the Canadian border; wonder if I should buy one up there and bring it down.
Honestly, I'd look into the details... if it at all makes financial sense, I'd be all over it.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

From a purist perspective, remote starters are really bad for engines; if I'm ever forced to have one on one of my cars, I will never-ever use it.
Really?

When I am in Mammoth in my LX570, what is the difference, in me starting it and letting it warm up for 1 min , vs starting it from my 2nd floor, and its warm by the time I get downstairs?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Really?

When I am in Mammoth in my LX570, what is the difference, in me starting it and letting it warm up for 1 min , vs starting it from my 2nd floor, and its warm by the time I get downstairs?
Cold idling is probably the worst thing one can do with an engine (short of running it out of oil or coolant, or over-revving it); virtually every manufacturer of water cooled engines in the world recommends you start the engine and start driving, conservatively, immediately. The O-N-L-Y time warming an engine up is not only desirable but absolutely necessary is when you have an air-cooled engine with cylinder bores with a "choke" (i.e. when cold the bore is narrower at the top than the bottom). A good example of this is virtually every Continental, Lycoming, Pratt & Whitney, Franklin, and Wright piston airplane engine.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Does the 18 Accord have a LSD?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
its so strange to see honda sensing as a standard feature when Acura doesnt even offer it on their cars lol.. what is honda doing?

but on another note, the 18' accord does have some nice features.. lower, larger interior space, lighter than the previous gen, and most importantly LOW END TQ what?!
i never thought i'd see the day when a honda accord has full tq available @ 1500 rpm

i cant wait to see what a reflash would produce on these new engines.. the 1.5T in the civic really gave some impressive results after a simple flash
Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Cold idling is probably the worst thing one can do with an engine (short of running it out of oil or coolant, or over-revving it); virtually every manufacturer of water cooled engines in the world recommends you start the engine and start driving, conservatively, immediately.
The exact reason it was stated from a "purist" view....no argument. However my ass cheeks could less about the purist view when they slide onto the either stupidly hot leather in the summer or the ice cold leather in winter. Remote start for the win.

My wife drives my TL the majority of the time since it is the beater/commuter car these days. But when it is above 85 or below 35, she is taking her car just for the remote start.

I really do hope we can get a decently optioned out MT Accord...I haven't done any digging into details yet since I mostly don't want to get my hopes up.

Also horseshoez, how do you like the Mazda3? That is also on my short-list as the most "responsible" option available that meets most of my requirements.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Latent car nut

Also horseshoez, how do you like the Mazda3? That is also on my short-list as the most "responsible" option available that meets most of my requirements.
We love the Mazda3, we ordered it directly from the factory last year March, only to have a big earth quake screw up the factory and shipping schedules; we didn't pick it up until early July. My wife and I are both manual transmission bigots and the selection of Mazda3 s 5-Door cars on the lot with three pedals under the dash was limited to either zero or one for every dealership we visited (the Mazda3 i with the smaller 2.0 liter engine had lots of availability with the manual transmission).

The Mazda3 is fun to drive, pretty quick (nearly as fast as her former GTI but way more reliable), and very comfortable on long trips. My single complaint, and it is a very BIG deal for me, is the multi-function screen; either you get settings, or Audio, or NAV, or Trip Computer, or a few other functions, but there is no way to coax more than one element to be on the screen at a time. When we take it on road trips I actually take my old Garmin portable GPS and stick to the glass above the screen.

Another annoyance is the Radio station selections, pretty much you get to scan or serially scroll through presets via the steering wheel buttons or the joystick. Meh, gimme a good old fashioned radio like on my TL.
Jackass (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Drifting

The Mazda3 is fun to drive, pretty quick (nearly as fast as her former GTI but way more reliable), and very comfortable on long trips. My single complaint, and it is a very BIG deal for me, is the multi-function screen; either you get settings, or Audio, or NAV, or Trip Computer, or a few other functions, but there is no way to coax more than one element to be on the screen at a time. When we take it on road trips I actually take my old Garmin portable GPS and stick to the glass above the screen.

Another annoyance is the Radio station selections, pretty much you get to scan or serially scroll through presets via the steering wheel buttons or the joystick. Meh, gimme a good old fashioned radio like on my TL.
We had a rental auto Mazda3 this past summer and I was impressed with it...especially since it wasn't even the higher trim line and it was impressive. No idea which engine it had, never remembered to pop the hood to check. The biggest complaint we had was the center armrest was very oddly shaped. I don't care too much about navigation considering I refuse to pay for updates and the factory systems end up outdated fairly quickly.

However based purely on features and price point...I think the Mazda3 is where it is at. I wish it had a bit more power, but overall seems to be a very balanced offering which is why it is my "reasonable" plan if I decide to not go with a true luxury or premium brand.