Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 TSX vs. 2008 TL (both w/ Navi)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 TSX vs. 2008 TL (both w/ Navi)

Folks - I am in touch with couple of dealers (only internet agents) in my area for a deal on an '08 TL w/ NAV. In addition to pushing me for an '08 TL, one of the guys mentioned about comparing with the '09 TSX as well since given the discounts on the '08 TLs, both the cars compete quite a bit pricewise.

Just wondering..if any of you ever considered cross-shopping an '09 TSX with the TL? I have seen the '09 TSX, but never sat inside.

Appreciate your inputs....cheers, -M
Old 10-10-2008, 05:12 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

tsx = sux
Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
your going to get some really biased answers in here....
Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 PM
usc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I briefly toyed with the idea of an '09 TSX to get a manual transmission (since there weren't any more WDP TL-S's in the neighborhood in manual). But one look at the TSX and the wife said no. So '08 TL w/ Navi it was.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Under Pressure

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just drove a '09 TSX when I took my '04 TL in for service. TL destroys the TSX in every category except handling. TSX felt like it was wheezing compared to the TL. Although, the TSX was pretty fun to corner.

The TL's interior was much nicer IMO as well.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by kneedragger87
Just drove a '09 TSX when I took my '04 TL in for service. TL destroys the TSX in every category except handling. TSX felt like it was wheezing compared to the TL. Although, the TSX was pretty fun to corner.

The TL's interior was much nicer IMO as well.
thats because of the electric steering rather than the hydralic, but the downside is it feels very fake. I have had both and this is my opinion:

TL has better material than the TSX
TL is faster than the TSX
TL is smoother and quieter than the TSX
TL brakes ROCK!!!
TL has Touchscreen
TSX feels much more sportier and lightweight, easily manueverable
TSX is very peppy, but nowhere near powerful as the TL
TSX has some updated tech stuff like XM Navweather and USB input
TSX gets excellent MPG

Heres a simple way to narrow it down:
The TL is more of a mature car than the TSX, it is a great highway and city driver and as well can be luxurious and comfy when you want it, but you can be boy racer when you want to.
The TSX is more of a sporty car, luxury is present, but not in a mature fashion. Its a great city driver in stop and go, and ok on the highway.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
thats because of the electric steering rather than the hydralic, but the downside is it feels very fake. I have had both and this is my opinion:

TL brakes ROCK!!!
TL has Touchscreen
TSX gets excellent MPG

The TL is more of a mature car than the TSX, it is a great highway and city driver and as well can be luxurious and comfy when you want it, but you can be boy racer when you want to.
The TSX is more of a sporty car, luxury is present, but not in a mature fashion. Its a great city driver in stop and go, and ok on the highway.
the tsx has a touch screen as well....
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vinnier6
the tsx has a touch screen as well....
09 TSX = little knoby thing
04-08 is touchscreen...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

the knobby thing is not the best...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Under Pressure

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
the knobby thing is not the best...
+1
Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

+1 -- I was of the same opinion after I looked at the car.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
TL brakes ROCK!!!
TL has Touchscreen
TSX gets excellent MPG

Pretty much agree right on with these statements. I did cross-shop the TL and TSX. Also recently spent 3 days in an '09 TSX while my TL was in the shop.

TSX has plenty of pep in the city, but runs out of steam above 55MPH. It moves just fine, but just not nearly as much fun. It definately is more fun whipping through corners though. It feels like a go-cart compared to the TL. Ride is quite a bit choppier than the TL. As for mileage? Well I have been averaging around 26MPH in my mixed driving in the TL, and I think in those three days of the TSX I was getting around 29.

So overall I really do like the TSX. I just really prefer the engine in the TL with the manual transmission. That is really what sold me on the TL over TSX.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:01 AM

You guys mean to say TL Navi doesnt have usb input and xm weather and traffic updates ?
What else tech wise is missing in TL
Old 10-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think one thing every new person has to realize about the 3G TL is that the technology is still based on 2003. So yes it doesn't have XM-Traffic or weather, it doesn't have 3D navigation and the bluetooth doesn't really sync up with the cell phone. By that I mean it doesn't just download your contact list to the car for you to choose. You have to actually record the name of the person and phone number. The touch screen navigation doesn't do anything for the phone, you just say the number to dial and there's no dial pad. There's no aux jack for ipods or other stuff. However there is a tape deck. We actually have to insert a key and turn the crank instead of pressing on the brakes and push a button. Gosh that's so 2004.

So in 2003/2004, the TL was an awesome car (still is). It had everything people wanted in a luxury sports sedan for the right price, Navi was ~$34K. I drive down the road and look at all those 2004 BMWs and the driver has his phone up to his face talking illegally or wearing a BT headset. Can it compare to cars of 2009? not really cuz as toys go, 2009 cars have alot more toys.

As far as the TL vs TSX. I always felt the TSX driver cabin was alot smaller than the TL. My legs felt more cramped driving and wasn't always comfortable.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ikm19
You guys mean to say TL Navi doesnt have usb input and xm weather and traffic updates ?
the 2007-2008 TL has XM Nav traffic and an AUX input that is just a regular 3.5mm headphone jack. The TL DOES NOT HAVE a usb input nor XM weather. The USB can be solved by a simple Ipod adapter, and the XM weather is more of a point and show to your friends feature than useful, at least in my case.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Thorin78
I think one thing every new person has to realize about the 3G TL is that the technology is still based on 2003. So yes it doesn't have XM-Traffic or weather, it doesn't have 3D navigation and the bluetooth doesn't really sync up with the cell phone. By that I mean it doesn't just download your contact list to the car for you to choose. You have to actually record the name of the person and phone number. The touch screen navigation doesn't do anything for the phone, you just say the number to dial and there's no dial pad. There's no aux jack for ipods or other stuff. However there is a tape deck. We actually have to insert a key and turn the crank instead of pressing on the brakes and push a button. Gosh that's so 2004.

So in 2003/2004, the TL was an awesome car (still is). It had everything people wanted in a luxury sports sedan for the right price, Navi was ~$34K. I drive down the road and look at all those 2004 BMWs and the driver has his phone up to his face talking illegally or wearing a BT headset. Can it compare to cars of 2009? not really cuz as toys go, 2009 cars have alot more toys.

As far as the TL vs TSX. I always felt the TSX driver cabin was alot smaller than the TL. My legs felt more cramped driving and wasn't always comfortable.
The 07-08 TL supports phone contact transfer where you can bluetooth over your contacts to your car. The technology in the TL was SEMI-UPDATED in 2007 where it was facelifted, MP3/WMA was added, Active Noise Cancelation, new Navi structure thats easier and better and as well a few smaller technical features were added to make it better.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh and don't forget we get DVD-A which no one really supports. But it's just cool to say we've got DVD-A.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thorin78
Oh and don't forget we get DVD-A which no one really supports. But it's just cool to say we've got DVD-A.

I like you sprite...
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Racer

u cant really ask this question. there is a substantial price difference. i personally believe that if you don't get the TL type s than i wouldn't get the TL. everyone is stating obvious facts like the TL is much faster. obviously its got a V6 and about 60 more hp. the tsx is much smaller and better handling. i've driven both and i love the tsx much more. probably why i bought it 1gen tsx over the TL.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tdottsx
u cant really ask this question. there is a substantial price difference.
That is not quite correct in this current economic market -- I've been quoted for an '08 TL w/ Navi for around $30k OTD. This pricing is very close, if not better, than an '09 TSX w/ Navi...and this is why I raised this question to begin with.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Just wondering..if any of you ever considered cross-shopping an '09 TSX with the TL? I have seen the '09 TSX, but never sat inside.
Test drive first, all other considerations second!
You may want to try the same approach- drive the TSX and TL versions you are considering back-to-back, then deciding.

I likely would have bought a 2005 TSX 6M had my wife not wanted an auto transmission, mainly because it had everything I wanted and was a slick compact package. However, the 5A TSX was pretty boring and not a car I considered getting after the test drive.

I think the 2009 TSX is close to the same dimensions as the 2008 TL, so the primary reasons I would have chosen the 2nd gen TSX (compact size, $) over a 3G TL no longer exist. I really prefer the current dash/instrument panels compared to the '09 Acura and Honda panels as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor

I had the same dilemna you had 2 months ago.
I test drove both cars twice; I thoroughly researched what I get in both cars and I received some prime advice from this forum. I finally bought the TL-08 because I was able to make a great deal for a brand new car that was cheaper than a new TSX; whereas for the TSX 09, the dealer would not budge in price.
I've taken the TL back to the dealer to get my XM satelite reset and they lent me the TSX 09 loner car for the day.
After driving the TSX for the day, I am now glad I have the TL.
The TL has a slicker interior, a beefier drive, and a firmer steering, than the TSX.

I still think the exterior of the TSX-09 is still looks pretty hot no matter what the other critics say.

D
Old 10-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I like you sprite...
huh? i like you too coke...LOL
anyways, test drive first. i say go to for the TL though
Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Test drive first, all other considerations second!

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I think the 2009 TSX is close to the same dimensions as the 2008 TL
I disagree...nothing to back it up besides my driving both and feeling a bit more closed in when in the TSX.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by erick3
huh? i like you too coke...LOL
anyways, test drive first. i say go to for the TL though
I dont know what i was thinking when i typed it here.. may be i was typing something else and something else came out...

So after whole week and couple of test drive i have decided to go for TLS.

I am getting offers between 32200 -32900. Is there any specific thing i have to ask the dealer before i go through mine paper work..
Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

If this matters to you

even though the car is "new" (i.e., unregistered and you are the first owner), at this point when you buy the car it will already be a year old. So you've lost a year's worth of its value. OTOH, you're getting a great deal on a great car, so if you plan to keep it for a while, this shouldn't be much of a consideration. You might also look at the Acura subvented lease if you're looking for a 3 year commitment, it's not as great as it was but it's still pretty good. And the great thing about leasing is ... it doesn't matter what resale is when you toss them back the keys, you're not on the hook.

I would think on a car that's already been replaced, in this market, you could grind dealers lower than the numbers you're mentioning. If they sense you're a real buyer, you should be able to write your own deal.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
No hard drive either.....
Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I looked at both the 09 TSX and 08 TL-S. And I was coming from an 04 TSX. Both cars were about the same price so why wouldn't I go for the bigger engine, touch screen Navi and all the upgrades the Type S has? It was a no brainer for me to pick the TL-S. I got more for about the same price. I do like the exterior styling of the 09 TSX but also the TL-S. 08 TL-S FTW!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I got an '08 TSX as a loaner recently, and couldn't wait to get my TL back. I would choose an Accord EXV6 over the TSX, but of course my first choice would be the TL.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a new tsx loaner last week, and man that thing has some comfortable seats, and the sub in the back hits a lot harder than mine, but could not wait to get back to the type-s.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I am cross shopping 08 TL vs 09 TSX. Both are about the same size. I have driven them both and like each. I like the looks of the new TSX and the better gas mileage is good. I like the power of the V6 in the TL and the TL-S is really a neat handling car. I've seen used TL-S in the 28-30k range with low miles, CPO.

I can get a new TSX TEch for the same money with NO miles.

I'd likely lease the TSX or buy the used TL. I can lease at hte dealer or use my credit union check to the used TL. I mostly drove the TL-S models, and haven't tried the base TL TLw/nav. I like the sporty ride of hte TL-S.

one caveat fro my situation - this is not my "main" car. I'm married, 3 small kids. we have an 07 MDX for our main fam car. I have a boxster as weekend toy. so I can just get a plain jane DD to get me to/from work - i don't have to have a 286hp Acura to go to work - but hey, more power is always a good thing!! i like cars, so a nice handling fun powerful car is a great thing - so half of me says screw it, ge ta used TL-S and enjoyo likfe - other half says , lease the new TSX - payments would likely be lower on the leased TSX - and when the lease is up i can just salk away.

on a used TL or TL-S I'll likely need to keep it 5-6 years to break even, and then i'll likely have to make some repairs/updates once the CPO runs out. most of the used cars I've seen, like 07 TL-S have rouhgly 30k on them. so figure the bumper to bmper warranty run to 62k miles or 5 years..the 07s sold mid 06. so the warranty is up 2011 on the bujmper to bumper stuff. my laon will be 6 years..so i'll be payin on it until 2015! so i'll have 4 years of only powertrain coverage..so i'm off the hook for bad stuff like motors..but all the little crap will cos tme...and i'll liekly run that car 10-12k/year..so figure i wind up with 100k miles at the end of the loan, the car isn't worth a ton, maybe 5-7k max....i will likely spend that much on tires, brakes,, and other crap that y ou don't have to do as much on a leased car since you get that stuff new, no timing belts, water pumps, and other crap.

the TL-S would be amore sporty/fun car to drive to/from work but ythe TSX likely would be a cheaper deal.

I belive I can get a TSX Tech 2009 for about $400/month with $1000 down for costs.

the 2007 TL-S that has 30k miles, if I coudl negotiation them down to about 29k...would cost me, at 6% for 72 months - $515/month with the same amount down $1000.

so at the end of 3 years, I've spend $4000 more for the TL-S and I stil down own it. my experience is 3 years into most auto loans you are just starting to get evented out on equity/loan balance... the upside to buying is that at the end of hte loan payoff you own the car and can sell it and net money....but honeslty,w hat is an 0u7 TL-S gonna be worth with 100k miles in 2015... mabye 5k-7k.... so you can deduct that from gross costs...but you have to also add in all the upkeep/repairs you did along the way.

honestly, i think elasing is better. if you keep a car for 10 years, buying works out better, because once the car is paid off,, you get to drive it for free and if it last well, you don't make any car payment on it..which is great! but the reality is a lot of newer/nicer cars, start costing you an arm and a leg toward thee nd of your loan and somemonths you have no bills, then some months you get nailed with $750 in repairs...money you coudl have spent to jsut get another new car..

i'm kinda leaning toward leasing a new TSX..even if it is slower. the money i save i can keep modding my boxster. it's gonna need tires baby! 265 rears wear quick when yo upull almost one full G in teh twisties!!!

thanks for any comments to my long rambling thought process...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Rule of thumb that I use and most people I know use, if you can't pay it off in 4 yrs, don't get it. If you want lower payments/term and don't want to be upside down, look at a used 1st Gen TSX. I like it, if I had a choice for a 3rd acura that was used, I'd take that or the TL-S
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
ppsssshhhhhhhhh

I'd say forget the tsx, its a down grade. if you want to upgrade then get a LEXUS!!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Unregistered User

For the same price why wouldn't you get the TL? More luxury, more power, larger...
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 245 Posts
The TL has a tape deck yo!!!! No other Car since 2001 can compete!
I took a 6 spd tsx for an extended test drive (24hours) and although it really felt nimble and peppy... If you pushed it you realized it didn't have much more headroom in the performance sector. I also feel like they dialed in some stiff springs that make it feel nimble but after a long drive it got a bit annoying.
Then I drove a tl typeS and loved it. It felt way more like a cruiser, and my car is the one we would be using for trips. The touch screen isn't a big plus for me because I am anal enough that I don't use it because finger prints would drive me insane. And with my tape deck I can cruise blasting some milli vanilli and new kid on the block tapes...

Also my wife really didn't care for the tax but liked the typeS a lot!! Mostly because it was $12k less than the 335i I wanted to buy, but that's another story
Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not throw in the IS250 into the cross shopping? =]
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
How about the 2010 TSX V6! The only downside is that it's like $5000 more then a 4 cylinder TSX
Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
is250 is too small in the back. i don'tthik i can fit three kids across the back of it. it looks far more cramped than the TSX.

the first gen TSX is smaller than the new TSX - so it is not gonna work for our n eeds.

the 3G TL and hte new TSX are almost hte same size.

yes, i see what you mean about the new TSX maybe having stiff springs to make it feel nimble...it is light on it's feet...but not stiff. i test drove a TL Tuype S back to back against the TL-S and you coudl feel that the TSX sas far softer / floatyy vs the TL-S was very very firm/tight feeling.sf nto to mentiont eh tL-S was a rocket compared to the TSX....after yhou drive a TL-S the TSX feels like it's powered by a hamster running on a wheeel...

but i like the look of hte in/out of the new TSX more than the 3G TL-S...

also test droe a new TL with the 280hp six. softer ride - more like hte TSX but it had thrust more on par with the TL-S. not sure i wanna lease one as it will be quite a bit more than a TSX lease.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
is250 is also rediculously slow
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 245 Posts
When I 'compared' the suspension between the TSX and TL-S it was on a 'bumpy' road section and over a bridge. In both situations, both me and my wife remarked that the TL-S took them with more composure. In the TSX it seems like the spring / shock combination is more out of tune.

As far as the Lexus IS250, well for me, personally it was too small, because the car i was buying was going to be the 'trip' car. However, I have to admit, it was definitly fun to drive and the quality was top notch. A friend of mine owns one and the fuel economy is fantastic too, he gets right around what he used to get in his civic SI.

Another thing that went as a 'pro' for the TL-S, and I know this sounds retarded, but it has rear air vents, and the TSX didn't.
The TSX did have VERY comfortable seats though, not that the TL doesn't but the TSX were very comfortable to me. I find the TL's seats are too short as far as leg support.

Quick Reply: 2009 TSX vs. 2008 TL (both w/ Navi)