3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Type S 64k miles tranny oil never changed

Old 04-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
62 and still a child. that's horrible.. I don't think I can argue with the elderly.
So you're 50 and still a punk. Go figure.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I have to unsub for now.. I have to go watch a movie. yawl keep posting for a while. buh bye now
Old 04-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Old 04-02-2018, 09:41 AM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Right. Anyhow, I'm looking to upgrade my brake fluid pump for better circulation and install a filter to keep my fluid cleaner. What is the best pump/filter to get?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:43 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by b15
Right. Anyhow, I'm looking to upgrade my brake fluid pump for better circulation and install a filter to keep my fluid cleaner. What is the best pump/filter to get?
Pretty much any pump is fine as long as it has an integrated gascolator.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie question: should I do a drain and fill transmission fluid or do I get transmission flush? what's the difference?

Just got my TL-S at 85k miles and will take it to the dealer for an overall checkup and minor service in a week. thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by RicN
newbie question: should I do a drain and fill transmission fluid or do I get transmission flush? what's the difference?

Just got my TL-S at 85k miles and will take it to the dealer for an overall checkup and minor service in a week. thanks.
Do NOT under any circumstances have your transmission flushed! If you do you will have a high likelihood of buying a new transmission in the near future. The thing is, flushing machines ram transmission fluid in reverse through the entire system, and automatic transmissions simply were not designed for such a procedure; the only reason why dealerships and service departments recommend such procedures is it makes them a lot of money.

Instead, you should simply follow Acura's recommendations and drain/refill the ATF; if your ATF is very dark in color, perform what is known as a 3X3 (which means drain/fill three quarts, repeat two more times).
Old 04-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by champaned_out
you shouldn't do a FLUSH on honda/acura transmissions is probably what the guy meant... ANY AND ALL fluids NEEDS to be changed out at some point.. honda/acura recommends a drain and fill only unless youre rebuilding a tranny

if you really believe its safe to use the same tranny fluid for 200k+ miles, then i REALLY hope you stick to that advice with all your other future cars as well.. I also hope you encourage your family members with that same advice with their cars.. just tell them it has to be right because some guy in a tranny shop agreed with you

this forum is filled with knowledgeable car enthusiasts, most that know more than the general population of people that own cars.. so don't expect to say some retarded bull shit like that and NOT expect to get called out.. it's not okay to say dumb shit like dont change your ATF ever unless you have problems because other new comers that really dont have a clue will read your statement and think its true
I was told to never do a drain and fill on AT trannys, they must be completly flushed and filled.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Do NOT under any circumstances have your transmission flushed! If you do you will have a high likelihood of buying a new transmission in the near future. The thing is, flushing machines ram transmission fluid in reverse through the entire system, and automatic transmissions simply were not designed for such a procedure; the only reason why dealerships and service departments recommend such procedures is it makes them a lot of money.

Instead, you should simply follow Acura's recommendations and drain/refill the ATF; if your ATF is very dark in color, perform what is known as a 3X3 (which means drain/fill three quarts, repeat two more times).

i heard this works
Old 04-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mntype-s
i heard this works
Yes. Take a look through the posts since I revived this thread asking my own questions. That should answer everything you need to know.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Mntype-s
I was told to never do a drain and fill on AT trannys, they must be completly flushed and filled.
You have my permission to tell whoever told you that little tidbit, they are an idiot.

Long story short, DO NOT ever flush an automatic transmission; drain and refill is the only proper method of maintenance.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
You have my permission to tell whoever told you that little tidbit, they are an idiot.

Long story short, DO NOT ever flush an automatic transmission; drain and refill is the only proper method of maintenance.

From Acura TSB:
ATF Flush Procedure
NOTE: The term “flushing” refers to repeatedly draining and filling the transmission with Acura Genuine ATF-DW1. Other aftermarket flush systems are available, but American Honda strongly recommends that you avoid using them on any Acura vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Pair of TLs (04-11-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Racer

AT3rdClutch

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ng-atf-764322/

Thanks to all for input ,going to read a lot next 2 days.

BTW am I suppose to put Redline Type F or D in my brake lines when I bled them ? LOL
Old 05-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by doggydog
AT3rdClutch

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ng-atf-764322/

Thanks to all for input ,going to read a lot next 2 days.

BTW am I suppose to put Redline Type F or D in my brake lines when I bled them ? LOL
Just use either DOT 3 or DOT 5.1. Do NOT use Dot 5.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:41 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by champaned_out
you shouldn't do a FLUSH on honda/acura transmissions is probably what the guy meant... ANY AND ALL fluids NEEDS to be changed out at some point.. honda/acura recommends a drain and fill only unless youre rebuilding a tranny

if you really believe its safe to use the same tranny fluid for 200k+ miles, then i REALLY hope you stick to that advice with all your other future cars as well.. I also hope you encourage your family members with that same advice with their cars.. just tell them it has to be right because some guy in a tranny shop agreed with you

this forum is filled with knowledgeable car enthusiasts, most that know more than the general population of people that own cars.. so don't expect to say some retarded bull shit like that and NOT expect to get called out.. it's not okay to say dumb shit like dont change your ATF ever unless you have problems because other new comers that really dont have a clue will read your statement and think its true
YEAH!!!! Like me, the newbie who just got here and started reading this thread! Im still learning!!!! Lol

but on a serious note, my good close friends dad is my mechanic who has a masters in mechanical automotive engineering and has his own shop specializing in transmissions! We just had a talk about how people hardly ever change their tranny oil! Put it this way, he ended it with, "your body is made up of a good percent of water; what you drink, you piss out! If you dont think you ever have to change your trans oil, then keep drinking your own piss over and over or get some new fucken water!"