AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   2007 Acura TL Type S Towing (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/2007-acura-tl-type-s-towing-860108/)

Andy07KBP 06-12-2012 05:01 PM

2007 Acura TL Type S Towing

Hey everyone, I searched through the forums and saw some info but I wanted some more advice. I have a 2007 Acura TL type S with the 6 speed standard transmission. I am going to be taking a trip that is about a hundred miles each way down to the beach. I was going to be bringing a single jetski and trailer but I wanted to see if it would be at all possible to bring two jetskis with my double trailer. The two skis weigh 365 and 395 lbs each plus the trailer weight (I would presume 400 lbs or so) Adding ~10% for random crap I am up to about 1300 lbs. Is this out of the question for this? I looked in the manual and it says the car is not designed to tow but they wouldn't make hitches if nobody used these to tow. Should I just go with the single trailer and ski? (should be 700 lbs or less for that)

THANKS ALL!

Turbonut 06-12-2012 05:16 PM

Don't know how anyone would give an adequate answer as Acura has stated the TL is not designed to do any towing, so your choice. They actually make hitches for people that don't care to abide by the manufacturer's recommendations, but I'd say the weak link is the trans.

mb1976 06-12-2012 05:29 PM

Personally, I rather not tow with any Honda products. I would just get a truck or an SUV like Toyota or Nissan in that matter or any of the Ford or GM products

Andy07KBP 06-12-2012 06:10 PM

This is going to be a one time or extremely seldom thing. I have a ford f250 that I use for towing 99.9% of the time but it is down at the moment. I will not be doing this with any regularity at all.

ZOMGVTEK 06-12-2012 06:48 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is that worried about towing. I have thousands of tow miles on my 02 Accord V6 with about 900-1000lbs of jetski, it handles it fine with one of the worst Honda autos ever made. The 6MT shouldn't mind a little extra load at all. I know a few people that tow big PWC with auto Civics and they're fine.

Turbonut 06-12-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK (Post 13836567)
I'm not sure why everyone is that worried about towing. I have thousands of tow miles on my 02 Accord V6 with about 900-1000lbs of jetski, it handles it fine with one of the worst Honda autos ever made. The 6MT shouldn't mind a little extra load at all. I know a few people that tow big PWC with auto Civics and they're fine.

Guess you shouldn't have any problems with the 2002 Accord as the owner's manual has a 1,000 lb max limit with a 10% tongue weight. A little different than what Acura recommends, zero weight.

ZOMGVTEK 06-12-2012 07:28 PM

Oh well. I'm installing a hitch on my TL.

It's probably fantastic at towing.

Turbonut 06-12-2012 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK (Post 13836647)
Oh well. I'm installing a hitch on my TL.

It's probably fantastic at towing.

Then why ask as question if you were going to do it anyway?
Just an FYI-The 2G has a 1,000# max limit, at least the 2 I reviewed, but not the 3G.

Good luck.

Andy07KBP 06-12-2012 07:50 PM

I asked the question. ^^^

sauceja 06-12-2012 10:47 PM

My parents had a hitch on there 01 accord v6. They towed a few things with it.

If you are gonna do it at your own discretion. Motor and tranny wise it should be able to do it. Gonna stress your brakes more.

Sounds like a fun trip you have planned though.

DMM05TL 06-13-2012 01:20 AM

I have a hitch on my 05 TL. But I use it to attach a rack that carries up to four bikes. It bottoms out on occasion when leaving a driveway or dip in the road. The shop also installed a full light harness, but I think the real intent of aftermarket TL hitches is to carry racks and accessories.

truonghthe 06-13-2012 06:23 AM

why not rent a truck and tow the trailer?

LoveMyTL-S 06-13-2012 07:15 AM

I think you'll be fine. Give us an update when you get back. Have fun!!

Andy07KBP 06-13-2012 08:12 AM

I will be installing the hitch today or tomorrow. Once I do that I will take a test drive around my area for a bit with the single trailer and if that works well i will test the double trailer before I go on the actual trip to see how I feel. Better to do a test run and be safe! I will report back.

Andy07KBP 06-14-2012 05:54 PM

Alright everyone, I just finished the hitch and wiring install. I had to run to home depot to get a 3/4" shank ball for the hitch and a couple of better nuts but everything went well. The install was very straightforward and simple. I decided since I was near home I would take the maiden voyage with the fully loaded double trailer. Hooked it up and the back end didn't even sag. The tongue weight is pretty low though at right around 150 lbs. I took a few mile drive up and down hills on side streets near my house, then took it on a main road where I could bring it up to 60 and slow down. The TL took it all very very well. When cruising you don't feel it at all. Starting from a stop I needed to adjust my shifts a little bit but it pulled great. I plan on taking a longer test journey after dinner and will most likely be bringing the double down the beach. Its a pretty straight, flat route down the garden state parkway so hopefully all will go well. I will keep everyone updated!

insxtc 06-14-2012 09:58 PM

pics!!!!!????

Andy07KBP 06-15-2012 08:03 AM

^^ I took one on my phone yesterday with the trailer attached but can't upload it at the moment as I am at work. I will take pictures today though and maybe a buddy will even take some as were heading down. Any special requests?

justnspace 06-15-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Andy07KBP (Post 13842789)
^^ I took one on my phone yesterday with the trailer attached but can't upload it at the moment as I am at work. I will take pictures today though and maybe a buddy will even take some as were heading down. Any special requests?

waffles and bacon

Healingduck 06-15-2012 11:21 PM

In for seeing pictures. The other day I saw someone with a '99 Maxima towing a trailer and it blew my mind....

RaviNJCLs 06-16-2012 06:44 AM

If it were me I would rent an SUV with a trailer. :2cents:

Tehvine 06-16-2012 11:58 AM

I don't think you'll have any trouble. There are guys on the miata forums towing much heavier loads with a little tiny miata.

Andy07KBP 06-17-2012 07:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok for all the people who said rent a truck or SUV, I am 24, i can't rent anything, second, I own a truck it was just down for the moment.

Now, for all the people who said rent a truck or suv, or don't do it, etc, I can tell you not to knock it because I don't think any of you have ever tried this. I had absolutely 0 problems. I just got back from my 225 mile round trip and the acura towed absolutely amazing. It did not buck, did not struggle, overheat, or miss a beat. To be honest it towed better then my explorer, but not quite as good as my F250:thumbsup:

I would not hesitate at all to do this again if necessary, although I will not be doing this with any regularity. The only thing I did differently is change my shifts so that I was riding in a slightly higher RPM band for more power and I gave myself plenty of space to stop. Also no drag race starts.

If anyone has any questions I am more then happy to help as I feel I really put the car through a good test with this.
Here are a couple pics as promised:

Attachment 89532

Attachment 89533

Acura_Dude 06-17-2012 07:54 PM

Holy hell...:omg: I'd be too scared to have a car on a boat ramp. This is where FWD comes in handy imo.

truonghthe 06-17-2012 08:02 PM

OP Hertz do offer rental for driver with age 19-24 for extra fees. But however I am glad that it working out for you.

UA6~RBP 06-17-2012 08:27 PM

I died a little bit on the inside after that second pic :nervous:

But god bless your soul for willing to try that out :bow:

Andy07KBP 06-17-2012 08:37 PM

In any other circumstance I wouldn't have tried to drop the skis in but the ramp is actually pretty close to horizontal and is completely paved. I also just barely put the skis in, me and a few buddies picked them up from the bunks and put them in the water. I was insanely careful with that as it was really the only thing that worried me.

ZOMGVTEK 06-17-2012 10:10 PM

I really don't see why it's a big deal. I know of people towing WAY heavier trailers with vehicles substantially less capable.

The TL-S has reasonable power to not have to struggle to get up to speed, the manual version should barely care at all about the additional load, and the brakes are substantially better at dealing with the extra weight than most cheap cars.

I had thousands of tow miles on my 02 Accord V6, which has the notoriously horrible B7XA trans. The manual said to tow in D3, I always used D4. The trans used to run super hot when towing, and sometimes shifted funny towing on hot days, but it worked fine. Most of the time I held it WOT to get up to speed since it was fairly slow with the big trailer. It was perfectly stable at 70 with the trailer in high winds. I used to hit some turns at the limit of the tires, sometimes the trailer tires would skip a bit around those really hard turns, but it was fine. The biggest impact the trailer had on the car, by far, was braking distance. It was poor. No way to sugar coat it, adding over 1200lbs to a 3200lb car is going to make a difference. I had to adjust my driving to compensate, by braking early, and usually easing into the pedal to the floor then easing back off once I was slowed down enough. In the few times I had traffic suddenly stop from 60+, I was greatly disappointed with the brakes.

However, a 6MT TL-S solves these problems. I'm not big on towing with an auto, but a manual should be perfectly happy with a bit more of a load. The brakes on my TL are WAY better than the Accord. I consider most people's modifications on here more abusive than towing <1000lbs occasionally with a 6MT.

Why would I want to buy a POS SUV/Truck that gets horrible fuel economy to do something my TL can do better? It just makes no sense. The TL is more than capable of it, but I would probably not be into towing with the auto unless it had a sufficient cooler with a thermostat and fan.

pimpin-tl 06-17-2012 10:20 PM

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/164753432_jATJh-D.jpg

Here is my Honda F12X turbo which weighed 790 dry weight. With full gas and trailer it was around 1200 lb. it pulled it fine! And the Audi only had an 1.8t engine. Oh and it went deep. Water up across the mid point of the rear bumper almost. No issues and Quattro made it a dream to pull out.

Turbonut 06-18-2012 05:42 AM

^Must have been a long time ago with the Audi as I would certainly like to have those gas prices back again.

Certainly didn't believe the car would self destruct, and I for one, never said it couldn't be done, just not recommended by the manufacturer, but people disregard the manufacturer's said parameters all the time as you read it every day on this Forum as well as on other forums.

Glad you had fun and encountered no problems.

justnspace 06-18-2012 07:45 AM

^nice at the gas prices!

Andy07KBP 06-18-2012 09:49 AM

I am not trying to yell at anyone or tell anyone they are dumb for their opinions I just wanted to let everyone know that it could be done and done safely. I know there have to be a few other people out there who would be interested in taking their car out with a trailer and I wanted to post here to let everyone know that it is ok. Obviously everyone is different and every car is slightly different but if you take your time and don't do anything stupid the TL is more than capable of towing a small trailer. I am hoping this thread will give some other people who wanted to tow something some peace of mind and will help out a little more then someone just saying "don't do it". Although 100% I understand it says that acura does not reccomend it. I know they want to save their butts too!:tomato:

ZOMGVTEK 09-10-2012 08:41 AM

I'm happy with this Curt hitch, it's way more secure than the U-Haul I had on the Accord, and appears to be better build quality.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8298/7...287d9e4a_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8445/7...131e4932_b.jpg

It's not even that noticeable. The wiring harness isn't nearly as nice as the one in the Accord, that had a separate current limited towing harness plug from the factory. The trailer wiring can be shorted and it won't affect the operation of the cars lights.

Renescent 09-10-2012 06:35 PM

In for follow up 'omfg, Acura clutches suck ass'!!1!1' follow up thread!

Kidding, nice work.

cinobyte 09-10-2012 07:32 PM

I would like to see an update. I have seen so many post where people state that the car gets less than desirable handling with car full of people and a trunk load of luggage.

sag 09-20-2012 10:09 PM

good form! i plan on towing my racebike with a TL when i find the right one. if you look up any cars tow rating in europe you will see that virtually any car can safely tow a 1000 lbs at least. one person can even move a 1000lb trailer around themselves once they get it level. as long as youre loaded right and balanced its, what, an extra 100 lbs on the suspension? pulling a thousand lbs on wheels is nothing for a car. way better than putting 800 lbs of adults actually in the car.

TLtypeSex 09-21-2012 05:53 PM

All these pics of TL's with tow equipment makes me sick lol. Buy a god damn truck. Sorry I had to vent.

Azndjay 09-21-2012 06:38 PM

i want to see someone toll a boat! lol

TheChamp531 09-21-2012 06:43 PM

The TL is amazingly good for towing. Of course, it isn't recommended, but I was on a trip to Oklahoma and my friends Mustang tranny decided to take a dump on him. We were kinda in the middle of nowhere so the next day I towed it with my TL 60 miles effortlessly. Woulda called the tow truck, but they wanted to charge him $300+ so I told him to give me a $100 and I'll do it. :)

IntactACK 09-21-2012 07:25 PM

wtf lol....but kudos guys

I hate cars 09-21-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheChamp531 (Post 14053620)
The TL is amazingly good for towing. Of course, it isn't recommended, but I was on a trip to Oklahoma and my friends Mustang tranny decided to take a dump on him. We were kinda in the middle of nowhere so the next day I towed it with my TL 60 miles effortlessly. Woulda called the tow truck, but they wanted to charge him $300+ so I told him to give me a $100 and I'll do it. :)

On a trailer or a tow rope?