Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 TL Base Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 TL Base Auto

Hi everyone..I'm not mechanically inclined and I hope someone can guide me to a right path..I just purchased this 06 TL from an one owner he had all records has 208,000 and the only problem that it had was the VSA light and the triangle light on..which didn't effect performance he said..drove it twice ran great.so I bought it ..It wasn't 12 hours till I had it the car at the light started hesitating..than engine light and tpms light came on and it died..pulled over wouldn't start..I had a friend come over plugged his diagnostic obd..no read..So I had it towed to near mechanic he tried for a whole week..first he thought maybe the key isn't reading thinking something wrong with immobilizer..didn't work..fuel pump is ok..he said he found the sunroof drain was clogged and he checked the ECU and it was soaked..he said he tried drying it but didn't work...suggests I take it to Acura and have them put it on and program it..
Here is my question of choices
1-tow it Acura ...which isn't going to be cheap it's 60 miles away and I don't have AAA..And I did call Acura they want almost $1200 for the ECU and another $300 for installation..total of about $1500..for which it think it's crazy..since I have seen the ECU new online for around $700..
2..I found local junkyards costing for a used one from $80-$100 plus whatever the labor the garage charges..and he says he can't program it and has to go to Acura for programming
So my question is..tow it to dealer or take a shot on used one and then tow it to dealer to program..I also saw a video online that someone made saying there is a way to reset with ECU and after reset ..unplug better to reset engine light and that does the trick
So please ..someone ..can you guide me to the right direction.. I'm unfortunately unemployed and I got the car to go on interviews to get a job..and this isn't helping to get ahead..thank you
Old 09-24-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
no matter what; you have to go to acura to get the ECU reprogrammed to your key and car.

perhaps you can get to know a tech and have the tech bring home the honda laptop and HDS tool to program them for you on the side... but no matter what, to reprogram the ECU to key/car you need the Honda Diagnostic tool and a laptop with the correct modules.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
no matter what; you have to go to acura to get the ECU reprogrammed to your key and car.

perhaps you can get to know a tech and have the tech bring home the honda laptop and HDS tool to program them for you on the side... but no matter what, to reprogram the ECU to key/car you need the Honda Diagnostic tool and a laptop with the correct modules.
Hi.. Unfortunately we can't go back to talk to anyone of the techs..the dealerships don't work like that around here unfortunately..and I got a used ECU being put on by gas station..I will take it to get it proggrammed..I just hope it works for the obd to find out what the problem is with the vehicle..
Ty for your respinse