Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 TL Transmission Problem !?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL Transmission Problem !?!

Last Monday I was driving my 2004 TL and I turned a corner, the engine revved to about 5000 RPMs, but the car did not accelerate out of the turn at first. It was as if I hit a patch of ice, but there was warm weather. I thought I must have hit some oil or gravel in the road. About 1 minute later I slowed for traffic, as I accelerated back to 45 mph, the engine revved but the car did not immediately accelerate. Shortly after that, I came to a stop at a red light and the car would not accelerate, leaving me blocking a lane in rush-hour traffic. The car was in Drive, but acted as if it was in Neutral. I changed from Drive to Park and back to Drive, and was able to move into a nearby parking lot. I tried my cell phone but it would not turn on. Given the situation, I tried (successfully) to make it back home to my house which was nearby. At one point, the same problem happened agained. However, turning the car off and back on (and shifting back into Drive) resolved the problem. When the car was not working, it did not matter whether the car was in Drive, or in the sequential shift mode.

After arriving home, the car was towed to the Acura dealership Monday evening. As of this afternoon, the dealer was unable to replicate the problem.

Any ideas or similar problems? I will post an update when the dealer calls.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
man i really hope not. i hope it was a fluke
Old 03-31-2004, 07:12 PM
7th Gear

Does anyone know how to switch the sequential shift to the opposite settings.

That is pull back for upshift and push forward to downshift like a real race car does it.
I hate the set-up now.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry to know you've been experiencing this kind of issue. I never heard of it before. Please keep us update.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Safety Car

that sounds just like the second gen problem with the AT. better get it looked at if it happens again.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro

Get your car to the dealership soon. Get back to us and let us know what they find. Hopefully nothing serious. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but I insist you keep us all updated.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TorontoTL
Get your car to the dealership soon. Get back to us and let us know what they find. Hopefully nothing serious. Good luck.
Not to be rude myself but this is a direct quote from Silver25

"After arriving home, the car was towed to the Acura dealership Monday evening. As of this afternoon, the dealer was unable to replicate the problem...I will post an update when the dealer calls."

So I think he already said that he would do that...

The following users liked this post:
TLCRUZN (09-19-2014)
Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Silver25, How many miles did you have on your 2004 TL when this happened?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

The car has about 2400 miles on it.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:36 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Don't tell me this. I am about to get one of these!!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 Tranny

I am sorry you are having potentially serious problems with your car and hope they are fixed easily with no BS from Acura.
The bigger question looms on the horizion. Have they fixed the tranny problems for 04? I now own 2 of these dammed TLs and really enjoy driving them and think they are quality rides except for the tranny in the 02. (not yet a problem after 24k)
A couple of questions for you guys that are more up to date the Acura story.
1. What was the last year that Acura produced a car with a doomed tranny?
2. Are trannys the 04's fixed.
Thanks for your experience and advice.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:16 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by silver25
Last Monday I was driving my 2004 TL and I turned a corner, the engine revved to about 5000 RPMs, but the car did not accelerate out of the turn at first. It was as if I hit a patch of ice, but there was warm weather. I thought I must have hit some oil or gravel in the road. About 1 minute later I slowed for traffic, as I accelerated back to 45 mph, the engine revved but the car did not immediately accelerate.
. . . . .
This sounds familiar. This is exactly what had happened when my 2002 TL-S tranny began to fail. Less than 3 weeks after the first occurrence, it finally developed into a constant major 3rd gear slipping.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Pro

any update yet? just had goosbumps after reading your thread...
Old 04-08-2004, 03:56 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
I bet silver25 doesn't own TL... probably some hater hahahahaha

its kind of confusing cuz he got 2 post counts... and wtf was he doing before, never seen him around here asking questions or replyin in other threads.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Might be a hoax huh?
Old 04-17-2004, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

Belated update

I'm rather late in posting an update...busy at work, sorry. The car was in the dealership for three days. The drove it about 100 miles and could not replicate the problem. I was afraid of this, since the problem was somewhat intermittent on the day it happend (not a catastrophic engine/transmission failure). The dealer, Lindsay Acura, was very helpful. They said they called Acura and, lucky for everyone else, no problem of this sort has been reported. Since that time, the problem has not resurfaced. The whole situation is rather strange (and, yes, the car was in drive).

The only other odd event is that after the car stopped working, my cell phone would not turn on (even though it was fully charged). The cell phone only started working several hours later, after removing the battery to reset the phone. I really doubt this is related, though (I don't live near any research labs or military bases).

I'm hoping this was an isolated, odd event. On another topic, the loaner '04 TL they gave me did have many of the problems others are experiencing (vibration, noisy headliner, etc.). Glad to have mine back!
Old 04-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Bad to know the dealer couldn't replicate issues. Good to know it's never happened again.

Why many ppl got 04TL as the loaner? ... lucky.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Team SSM

The only other odd event is that after the car stopped working, my cell phone would not turn on (even though it was fully charged). The cell phone only started working several hours later, after removing the battery to reset the phone. I really doubt this is related, though (I don't live near any research labs or military bases).
!
ehhh? what phone do you have?
Old 04-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
I bet silver25 doesn't own TL... probably some hater hahahahaha

its kind of confusing cuz he got 2 post counts... and wtf was he doing before, never seen him around here asking questions or replyin in other threads.
yah I had that feeling too. also, there are tons of people on this forum, noone with a tranny problem and I bet there are tons people out there with 10K and more miles on it.

eh but you never know
Old 04-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Amateur Gynecologist

Something about this story just doesn't feel right. It's either an isolated incident or a total lie. If I've learned anything about message boards like this it's that if this was a serious problem that all of us should worry about, a lot more people would have been experiencing this problem and coming to this board for advice by now (especially if he's having it at only 2400 miles)….

I wouldn’t go selling my car just yet gentlemen…. Let us see if anyone else comes up with this alleged issue…
Old 04-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was an alien attack

I'm rather late in posting an update...busy at work, sorry. The car was in the dealership for three days. The drove it about 100 miles and could not replicate the problem. I was afraid of this, since the problem was somewhat intermittent on the day it happend (not a catastrophic engine/transmission failure). The dealer, Lindsay Acura, was very helpful. They said they called Acura and, lucky for everyone else, no problem of this sort has been reported. Since that time, the problem has not resurfaced. The whole situation is rather strange (and, yes, the car was in drive).

I'm hoping this was an isolated, odd event. On another topic, the loaner '04 TL they gave me did have many of the problems others are experiencing (vibration, noisy headliner, etc.). Glad to have mine back!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
man i really hope not. i hope it was a fluke
It's going to happen, might as well make a separate forum. I already got told by a Acura Master tech they have had about 5 new TLs in for new Trannys already. Same issues.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:35 AM

Start carrying a camera or video camera in your car. When it happens record it and show it to them so they can tell you the can't replicate it.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Advanced

This is EXACTLY the same problem I had with my '01 CL Type S until it finally left me stranded in the middle of rush hour traffic on a Friday evening. Dealer had to replace tranny with 33k miles. The first time I had the problem was about 6k into it and unfortunately dealer couldn't replicate so I kept driving and a year and half later........................ :devil:

I went with the 6 speed when I bought my '04 TL as I was gunshy with the automatic. By the way, the replacement tranny was starting to act up 3k miles after having replaced which is when I traded for the '04. Hope Acura has resolved this issue.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 Trannys

After searching the forum for any sign of 04 tranny problems, it is evident there is not a big tranny problem like with the earlier models. Pick any brand of car in the world and there will be isolated tranny failures in all models and in all stages of operation..
So far so good for the 04's (maybe famous last words). I think we would see a pattern forming by now if the new models were not fixed. But with my screwed up luck, you never know.
THe most important thing is that acura should put on their nuts and fix the trannys on the older model cars. It is unforgivable to let customers purchase defective cars and not recall and fix a serious problem. That is really a bad business practice. :rocketwho
Old 04-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Team SSM

I find it ironic that all of a sudden people on this forum are talking about trannys...
Old 04-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
After searching the forum for any sign of 04 tranny problems, it is evident there is not a big tranny problem like with the earlier models. Pick any brand of car in the world and there will be isolated tranny failures in all models and in all stages of operation..
So far so good for the 04's (maybe famous last words). I think we would see a pattern forming by now if the new models were not fixed. But with my screwed up luck, you never know.
THe most important thing is that acura should put on their nuts and fix the trannys on the older model cars. It is unforgivable to let customers purchase defective cars and not recall and fix a serious problem. That is really a bad business practice. :rocketwho
lol. Please you can't judge by what you see on this forum yet. The car was just released. No one here probably has over 10k of miles yet! If they do, its easy driving like highway. The TL/CL tranny didn't show for a while, then it really started to show. I can almost gurantee you that the TL will have tranny problems showing. I have yet to see a V6 Honda product with the 5 speed tranny last yet.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Racer

Everyone here should realize that transmissions on 04 TLs ARE going to fail! Engines too, for that matter. In any component with more than one part (and even some with one part), there are going to be a certain number of failures. Even the very best products have a small failure rate. On a new car, typically somewhere under 2% of the transmissions fail each year for the first 3 years. (I don't know how far under 2% the real number is, but it's not zero). There are something like 40,000 2004 TL's out in the world now. If 1/2 of 1% had transmission failures, that would be 200 cars! And given the sensitivity of Acura owners to this issue, we'd hear about some of them.

If 200 cars have the failure, there are probably some bigger Acura dealers that are going to see more than a few of them. So the person that reported hearing 4 transmission failures just might be correct. And if it's correct, it might be fairly meaningless. I'm sure not going to get excited about it and start calling my dealer, sell my car, etc.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Hybrid
Everyone here should realize that transmissions on 04 TLs ARE going to fail! Engines too, for that matter. In any component with more than one part (and even some with one part), there are going to be a certain number of failures. Even the very best products have a small failure rate. On a new car, typically somewhere under 2% of the transmissions fail each year for the first 3 years. (I don't know how far under 2% the real number is, but it's not zero). There are something like 40,000 2004 TL's out in the world now. If 1/2 of 1% had transmission failures, that would be 200 cars! And given the sensitivity of Acura owners to this issue, we'd hear about some of them.

If 200 cars have the failure, there are probably some bigger Acura dealers that are going to see more than a few of them. So the person that reported hearing 4 transmission failures just might be correct. And if it's correct, it might be fairly meaningless. I'm sure not going to get excited about it and start calling my dealer, sell my car, etc.
I love it when people put things in perspective. Very intelligent response...thanks Hybrid...
Old 04-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rets
Why many ppl got 04TL as the loaner? ... lucky.
Because the dealer use your TL as a loaner, and asked the other customer if they experience the tranny problem ... that's how they test drive 100miles on your car in three days ...
Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hybrid - wow, great post!

cutemp - ROFL!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:42 PM
10th Gear

Hybrid has it right

"Hybrid" really seems to understand how cars are manufactured. In making my original post, I certainly didn't suggest that my experience indicated a widespread problem. In fact, my experience suggests that there is no widespread transmission problem with '04 TLs (per my dealer's conversation with Acura).

If you look at Internet forums for just about any product you will see that they are generally focused on problems. I think the situation is fairly simple. Most people are like me -- they read message boards, but don't post until they have some pressing issue or problem. My motivation for posting was to help get some more information on what seems like a highly unusual problem. Frankly, I'm surprised and disappointed when I see people say that they are going to buy a G35 or whatever, BASED SOLELY on what they read here. I'm assuming it's flamebait or a joke...I hope.

Having said that, "rhaas," I'd like to hear more about your problem with your CL.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM
1st Gear

2004 Tl transmission problems also

My 2004 TL has 133000 miles on it. Stopped at a red light and when it turned green I put my foot on the accelerator but the car would not move. The rpm's increased but the car would not move. It was as if the car was in neutral. I tried shifting into neutral and park and back into drive but it did not help. Only when I shut the car off and started it again then shifted into drive did it move. Everything was fine after that. When I got home, about 15 minutes later, I checked the
transmissionfluid
. It was full and was very clean - i had the fluid replaced when i did the timing belt at 100k miles so I was not surprised.

The next day, the car had the same problem at every light and stop sign. I had to put it in park, shut it off, and restart it to get going again. End result, I brought it to
Acura
and they said the transmission needed to be replaced. I was upset, to say the least epecially since the car was well maintained and serviced at Acura. The cost of the transmission was $4900 but they split the cost with me at a total of $2500. Happy about the discount but not a happy Acura owner at this point and will most likely never buy another Acura again.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
And after 8 years the thread comes back to life.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Another new guy, at least he searched welcome new guy!
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
lol I started reading at the top and all these people claiming the 04 trannys had no problems and I am thinking to myself wtf where have these guys been....then I look to the left and see the post was from 2004....

Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 PM
10th Gear

Mine just blew at 304,000km's

Yea is anyone's else transmission not blown? I bought my 2004 TL in 2008 with 180k on it and drove the hell out it. About 2-3 years ago I noticed the tranny fluid was dark but after speaking to a few experts in Japanese transmissions they reccomended that I dont change the fluid as these trannys will start to slip right away with new fluid in it and normally blow right away afterwards. Drained a litre and added a bottle of Lucas Transmission fix to it years ago and its been working pretty fine. The last year or so I have noticed that the tranny sometimes acts a bit weird shifiting when its not suppose to and also a little bit of slipping here and there. I already knew at this point that its on its last legs. Drove from Toronto to Chicago last weekend with it and on the way back through Indiana I found some guy going a 100mph so I followed him at a distance of course for about 20 mins in my TL. Once I slowed down and hit the accelorator again it was Slip city and the tranny could not find a gear at all. Ended up slowing down and 5th gear grabbed and I threw the car in Manual mode so that it stayed there and I made it back to Toronto carefully. Realized that when the tranny fluid cooled down the car was drivable. The next day I drained another Litre of fluid and dropped another bottle of the lucas tranny fix in it and Im still able to drive it now but 2nd gear jerks pretty hard and the tranny wants to go to the highest gear way to fast. Downshifting when you hit the accelorator does slip a bit but again Im able to still drive it and I am going to drive it until it completely fails. I wonder how long that will be.

Anyhow Im looking to change the tranny and found that the 2004 TL Can only have a 2004 TL tranny in it as the newer ones 2005-2008 have a different gear ratio or something. Scrapyards seem to know about this issue and The trannys are no less then $1200 for a used one with about 85k on it. Im going to also change the engine at the same time as you can get a low mileage engine farily cheap for about $500.

Anyone else with the same issue. One Transmission guy I spoke to said he was very surprised my car made it to 304k with the original tranny.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 AM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 TL 304k

My tl just hit 304k, it has showed little signs of slipping in the past. On a few occurrences under heavy throttle in drive the engine would rev but doesn't go anywhere.. i assume that is the torque converter slipping. Just 1000 miles ago i just started getting CEL's for the transmission torque converter clutch solenoid, and some sort of transmission control. The transmission still shifts completely normally. That code ended up going away on its own, but it came back shortly after. Then yesterday on the freeway i noticed the rpm's weren't where it should be for the speed and you could smell the transmission. Fluids have been changed 40k miles ago with ams oil. Im not going to wait for any further problems to occur seeing yesterday i felt like i barely made it home. Luckily a buddy who rebuilds my civic transmissions knows a honda automatic transmission specialist and they are going to rebuild and make my trans new for $1500, that is with me handing them the transmission out of my car.. I am very surprised this car made it 304k.. It was a single owner and well taken care of. Engine is still very healthy!

Quick Reply: 2004 TL Transmission Problem !?!