Sponsored by:

2004 TL Europe

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL Europe

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and hope you'll be able to help me guide my questions to the appropriate forum, should this be the wrong one.

Here is my situation: I'll possibly be moving to Europe (Austria, to be exact) and I'm thinking of bringing my Acura TL 04 (manual transmission, ~130.000miles), since it is a great car, in great condition, and its mine ... so the only expenses are the usual repairs that are accompanied by the age and mileage of the car. Also, I wouldn't need to pay duty.

However, I'd have to change the rear blinker from red to amber (it's the law in Austria) and didn't find anything in the internet on how to go about it and where I could get it it done or even just get the parts. I do know that there is no Acura in Europe, though I saw Acura style cars that run under Honda. So I'm wondering, if it is worth to bring it or will Honda garages not be able to do repairs etc.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give so I can make an informed decision!

Thank you!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Mezzo
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and hope you'll be able to help me guide my questions to the appropriate forum, should this be the wrong one.

Here is my situation: I'll possibly be moving to Europe (Austria, to be exact) and I'm thinking of bringing my Acura TL 04 (manual transmission, ~130.000miles), since it is a great car, in great condition, and its mine ... so the only expenses are the usual repairs that are accompanied by the age and mileage of the car. Also, I wouldn't need to pay duty.

However, I'd have to change the rear blinker from red to amber (it's the law in Austria) and didn't find anything in the internet on how to go about it and where I could get it it done or even just get the parts. I do know that there is no Acura in Europe, though I saw Acura style cars that run under Honda. So I'm wondering, if it is worth to bring it or will Honda garages not be able to do repairs etc.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give so I can make an informed decision!

Thank you!!!
There are a few 3G TLs running around Europe right now, I believe we have a member from Germany and another member from Poland; you might want to use the search function to look for them.

If I recall correctly, our fellow member from Germany mentioned there are companies across the pond which specialize in making the necessary tweaks to U.S. spec cars to allow them to pass the various codes implemented in each country.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I believe the blinker is amber is standard on China TL model as well along with rear foglight.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts

You could always make some like these by marrying a set of 04-06 lenses with 07-08 base model or Type S housings.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I was going to suggest what mdnborg said. Get a set of custom lights with the blinker diffuser clear and replace with an amber blinker bulb
Old 02-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
As usually, the answer is ''it depends' :-)
The key question is are you going to move temporarily or permanently - is your car remain registered in US or are you going to register it in EU.
In first option, here in Poland you do not have to do nothing - nobody would ask about car with US plates. East Europe is specific - John from Germany shoul be more experienced in West Europe expectations.
​​​​​​As regard to the second option, strictly folowing the EU reqs, to register the car you need:
1. Rear amber blinkers (it is easy - you just need green bulb - green+red=yellow/amber)
2. Rear fog light (you need to set new curcuit - reqs: the foglight may be switch on only when the headlights are on and must be signalled with light on button when on)
3. Front blinkers must be seperated from position lights (not to difficult - just need to cut wires, drill additional hole in headlamps, put there position bulbs and wire them)
4. If car is equipped with light source brighter than 2000 lumens, it need to be equipped with headlight washers (can be done - I am going to do that in spring)
5. Side markers shoul be amber.
The following are the most difficult
6. The front headlights are symmetric in US, while in EU they can not (there is no direct fit EU headlamps replacement; i took out my and sent it for retrofiting - they managed to do something but it is not perfect)
7. If car is equipped with light source brighter than 2000 lumens, it need to be equipped with headlight selfleveling (there is no direct fit EU headlamps replacement)
8. Headlaps in EU should have feature of setting them verically and horizontally (TL let you set the headlamps horizontally).

Like I mentioned at the beginning - those are local low reqs.... but you can live with it. As usually you just need cash, time and good will :-)....and some luck as there is no option of complying directly with points 7 & 8 in my opinion.

Last edited by mariusz439; 02-04-2019 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
There are tail lights on ebay that have a clear turn signal lens.

Originally Posted by mdnborg
You could always make some like these by marrying a set of 04-06 lenses with 07-08 base model or Type S housings.
MUCH easier said than done, especially at his age. I'm going to suggest against making a set of custom tail lights
Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
MUCH easier said than done, especially at his age. I'm going to suggest against making a set of custom tail lights
Not sure where he mentioned his age or how that would be a factor, I was simply offering a suggestion. Personally I wouldn't waste money on eBay tails.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by mdnborg
Not sure where he mentioned his age or how that would be a factor, I was simply offering a suggestion. Personally I wouldn't waste money on eBay tails.
It's a good suggestion if he's up for the work involved
It's a very tedious process. That's why people pay a lot of money to get them done properly. He'd also have to cut up 2 pairs of tail lights to do it.

Depends on what ebay tails you get, DEPO is a reputable brand in this community. Many people run them without problems and they make a clear set.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 02-04-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I suppose that would be easier lol
i guess I just have cut them open enough that I don’t think it’s as much a hassel