Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Reload this Page >

A-110(b): DIY Guide to replacing 3rd & 4th gear pressure switch for 3G TL (2007-2008)

Notices
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-110(b): DIY Guide to replacing 3rd & 4th gear pressure switch for 3G TL (2007-2008)

 
Old 07-03-2018, 09:48 AM
  #281  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 27
Posts: 28
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIY, details of each switch replacement

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs View Post
This is also posted in the original 3rd and 4th gear thread but it is easier to have it separated. By now a lot of us have learned that the position of the switches in the 07-08 TL differ from the 04-06 TL. I used the information that was posted by JDM RICe. His pics are a lot better than mine so I stole some of them.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showp...&postcount=195

Mods....if you disagree with having a separate thread, please feel free to delete this one.

I have driven the car for about 12000 miles since I replaced the switches. I have also done a total of three 1x3 over a 15K mile stretch. The transmission shifts a lot cleaner than when I purchased the car.

Parts Needed:

2 x 28600-RKE-004
1 x 28610-RKE-004
3 x 90471-PW7-A00

Parts were purchased from www.oemacuraparts.com.

Tools:

Floor Jack - DO NOT SUPPORT THE CAR WITH JUST THE FLOOR JACK.
Jack Stands
10 mm Socket
7/8 Deep Socket
Screwdrivers
Breaker Bar (PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN USING BREAKER BAR)

I started with the sensor on the bottom of the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM RICe


I accessed the sensor through the driver side wheel well. Remove tire. Please use jack stands for support.



Once the cover was moved you will see a wire harness and a couple plugs.

Attachment 51653

I unplugged the ones marked above and when you move the harness out of the way you will see the sensor.

Attachment 51654

Be careful when removing the sensor. I used a deep 7/8 socket and a 16 inch extension. I did not need to use a breaker bar for this sensor. When you remove the sensor there will be some transmission fluid that leaks out. Wipe clean before replacing the sensor.

DO NOT FORGET THE GASKET.

Attachment 51655

Plug everything back in and DOUBLE CHECK before mounting the wheel and lowering yourcar.

Second one I did was the one under the intake. Removing the intake is simple. My pics sucked again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM RICe





This one was very simple. I did not need to remove the 10 mm bolts above, but it will not hurt to remove them. Again I used a 7/8 deep socket and a 3 inch extension. I did use a breaker bar for this one.

The last one I did was the sensor in the back of the transmission.



I removed the hose in the image below to get a bit more room to get my hands down to the sensor. It is tough to see in the pics but that sensor is about 12 inches from the top of the engine.

Attachment 51656

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM RICe


Overall it took me about 2 hours to replace the three sensors. I also did a 1x3 this weekend.

I drove about 150 miles since I replaced the fluid and the sensors. The up and down shifting is a lot smoother than before. When I floor it the shifting is a lot cleaner. I have 2 long road trips this week and I will have a better chance to test it out.
Sorry to reply on a old thread, planning on doing this, and I can't see which picture replaced the 3rd switch? I only see pictures showing how to replace 2/3 switches, but everyone uses this DIY. Can someone please point out where the third one is, in the pictures?

Much appreciated!! Also, if anyone in Calgary,Canada see's this and would like to help me out with the install please let me know! 08 TL S
Hanoke is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 07:52 AM
  #282  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 6
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ I'm in the same boat. I see the images for the 1st and last one but not the one under the intake? 1 of the 2 switch with part # 28600-RKE-004.

Any help would be appreciated!
devastata is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 AM
  #283  
Registered Member
 
rightwinger59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 37
Posts: 22
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the pic from tpz76:



The switch is underneath that strut/bar thing (can you tell I'm a mechanic?). You have to look carefully, but you'll see it under there and it is barely accessible (unless you have some small, dainty hands).
rightwinger59 is offline  
The following users liked this post: rightwinger59
devastata (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 AM
  #284  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 6
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rightwinger59 View Post
Here is the pic from tpz76:



The switch is underneath that strut/bar thing (can you tell I'm a mechanic?). You have to look carefully, but you'll see it under there and it is barely accessible (unless you have some small, dainty hands).
Thank you so much!

Did this pic come from a specific thread? If it did can you share the link? Just wondering if there's any tips on how to get to it?

Thanks again!
devastata is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM
  #285  
Registered Member
 
rightwinger59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 37
Posts: 22
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devastata View Post
Thank you so much!

Did this pic come from a specific thread? If it did can you share the link? Just wondering if there's any tips on how to get to it?

Thanks again!
Yes - it came from Post #273 on this thread. Here is the link to that post. Good luck!
rightwinger59 is offline  
The following users liked this post: rightwinger59
devastata (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 PM
  #286  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 6
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks alot! Just wondering where you ended up picking up your parts?

Called the closest Acura dealership (in Ottawa) and thy quoted me:

2 x 28600-RKE-004 = $69.23 (each)
1 x 28610-RKE-004 = $93.66
3 x 90471-PW7-A00 = $3.63 (each)

Total = $243.01 all in (Canadian)

Is this roughly what people are spending?
devastata is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 01:26 PM
  #287  
Registered Member
 
rightwinger59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 37
Posts: 22
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devastata View Post
Thanks alot! Just wondering where you ended up picking up your parts?

Called the closest Acura dealership (in Ottawa) and thy quoted me:

2 x 28600-RKE-004 = $69.23 (each)
1 x 28610-RKE-004 = $93.66
3 x 90471-PW7-A00 = $3.63 (each)

Total = $243.01 all in (Canadian)

Is this roughly what people are spending?
I ordered them from acuraoemparts.com in June. It was $56.55 for each sensor and $2.57 for each gasket. That website also gives you a 5% discount for using "Acurazine" as a promo code (at least I think that was the code I used), so the parts were $174.44 after shipping.

I should take this time to report that even after replacing the ATF with Redline Type-F fluids and swapping out the sensors there are still some clunky shifts. Driving a 2008 TL Type-S with almost 80k miles on it currently. One time, while coasting to a stop, one of the downshifts was so hard that it felt like I had hit something. That only happened once, but still sorta freaked me out. I've also noticed that between 2-3 the car tends to want to rev up to 4k RPM before shifting (even when I'm barely on the gas), but based on the responses on this site I believe this is normal behavior for the Type-S. I find it a bit annoying, but apparently that's just the way things are.

I will continue to monitor my shifting, but otherwise loving the car.
rightwinger59 is offline  
Old 08-28-2018, 12:45 PM
  #288  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 6
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rightwinger59 View Post
I ordered them from acuraoemparts.com in June. It was $56.55 for each sensor and $2.57 for each gasket. That website also gives you a 5% discount for using "Acurazine" as a promo code (at least I think that was the code I used), so the parts were $174.44 after shipping.

I should take this time to report that even after replacing the ATF with Redline Type-F fluids and swapping out the sensors there are still some clunky shifts. Driving a 2008 TL Type-S with almost 80k miles on it currently. One time, while coasting to a stop, one of the downshifts was so hard that it felt like I had hit something. That only happened once, but still sorta freaked me out. I've also noticed that between 2-3 the car tends to want to rev up to 4k RPM before shifting (even when I'm barely on the gas), but based on the responses on this site I believe this is normal behavior for the Type-S. I find it a bit annoying, but apparently that's just the way things are.

I will continue to monitor my shifting, but otherwise loving the car.
Thanks again! Just wondering if there's an equivalent of acuraoemparts.com here in canada? looking to purchase these switches in the next few weeks!
devastata is offline  
Old 08-28-2018, 01:06 PM
  #289  
Registered Member
 
tpz76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 40
Posts: 110
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried the ECM / Memory reset? I know a lot of folks don't believe in it, but every time I do it I notice a huge difference in shifting. I do it at least once a week.
tpz76 is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 02:02 PM
  #290  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know a place where I can get this done near in the NYC area? Thanks!
natehong is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 12:30 PM
  #291  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,643
Liked 5,791 Times in 4,643 Posts
Originally Posted by natehong View Post
Does anyone know a place where I can get this done near in the NYC area? Thanks!
Acura Dealer


or go onto yelp.com and find a mechanic.
thoiboi is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 PM
  #292  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Florida
Age: 51
Posts: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Forum . Thank you for all the info !
ATPAcura is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 04:38 PM
  #293  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 20
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I use this info to work in my 07 TL???
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs View Post
This is also posted in the original 3rd and 4th gear thread but it is easier to have it separated. By now a lot of us have learned that the position of the switches in the 07-08 TL differ from the 04-06 TL. I used the information that was posted by JDM RICe. His pics are a lot better than mine so I stole some of them.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showp...&postcount=195

Mods....if you disagree with having a separate thread, please feel free to delete this one.

I have driven the car for about 12000 miles since I replaced the switches. I have also done a total of three 1x3 over a 15K mile stretch. The transmission shifts a lot cleaner than when I purchased the car.

Parts Needed:

2 x 28600-RKE-004
1 x 28610-RKE-004
3 x 90471-PW7-A00

Parts were purchased from www.oemacuraparts.com.

Tools:

Floor Jack - DO NOT SUPPORT THE CAR WITH JUST THE FLOOR JACK.
Jack Stands
10 mm Socket
7/8 Deep Socket
Screwdrivers
Breaker Bar (PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN USING BREAKER BAR)

I started with the sensor on the bottom of the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM RICe


I accessed the sensor through the driver side wheel well. Remove tire. Please use jack stands for support.



Once the cover was moved you will see a wire harness and a couple plugs.

Attachment 51653

I unplugged the ones marked above and when you move the harness out of the way you will see the sensor.

Attachment 51654

Be careful when removing the sensor. I used a deep 7/8 socket and a 16 inch extension. I did not need to use a breaker bar for this sensor. When you remove the sensor there will be some transmission fluid that leaks out. Wipe clean before replacing the sensor.

DO NOT FORGET THE GASKET.

Attachment 51655

Plug everything back in and DOUBLE CHECK before mounting the wheel and lowering yourcar.

Second one I did was the one under the intake. Removing the intake is simple. My pics sucked again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM RICe





This one was very simple. I did not need to remove the 10 mm bolts above, but it will not hurt to remove them. Again I used a 7/8 deep socket and a 3 inch extension. I did use a breaker bar for this one.

The last one I did was the sensor in the back of the transmission.



I removed the hose in the image below to get a bit more room to get my hands down to the sensor. It is tough to see in the pics but that sensor is about 12 inches from the top of the engine.

Attachment 51656

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM RICe


Overall it took me about 2 hours to replace the three sensors. I also did a 1x3 this weekend.

I drove about 150 miles since I replaced the fluid and the sensors. The up and down shifting is a lot smoother than before. When I floor it the shifting is a lot cleaner. I have 2 long road trips this week and I will have a better chance to test it out.
kevin figueroa is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 11:59 AM
  #294  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,643
Liked 5,791 Times in 4,643 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin figueroa View Post
Can I use this info to work in my 07 TL???
Well the title says that this DIY is for 2007 through 2008 so as long as 07 falls in that range, I think you'll be safe.
thoiboi is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 PM
  #295  
Registered Member
 
Pair of TLs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SE WI
Age: 67
Posts: 310
Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Well the title says that this DIY is for 2007 through 2008 so as long as 07 falls in that range, I think you'll be safe.
Sure?? I mean about being safe...
Pair of TLs is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:46 PM
  #296  
Registered Member
 
mazen222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 281
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
So i did this as a preventive maintenance and i must say i have not noticed much difference, other than a slight mental confidence placebo effect.
I still have a slight kick between 2nd and 3rd that i was hoping to get rid of. From 3rd to 4th it's slightly smoother, but even then im not sure if its in my head.

So overall, i would recommend it if you have extra money laying around, otherwise i would wait for a code to appear.

Thanks for the good write-up!
Maz
mazen222 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.