3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 TL-S Center Console Creaking!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Lovin' My TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '08 TL-S Center Console Creaking!

I just got my new '08 TL-S broken in (around 800 miles) but the center console now "creaks" when I step on the gas or hit the brake. It's not audible if the radio is turned up, but if someone is in the car with me and the radio is low it's very obvious. At first I didn't think it was that bad, but it has become really annoying. It seems that when the frame flexes (ever so slightly) under light acceleration, braking or going over an uneven road (but not bumpy) it is causing something in the center console to make this noise. I have a hard time believing this is normal for a 40k car!

So, before I take my ride back to the dealer and dealing with the possibility of them screwing something up trying to fix this, I thought I would see what you guys here have experienced...

Thanks for any input!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM
2007 TL TYPE S ASM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a '07 TL-S but haven't had any problems yet with this car, however on my '07 MDX center console it is creeking also. It has 2 sides that open, one toward the driver and one toward the passenger. When I lean on the center console with my right arm to rest, it creaks with the pressure I put on it. When I then let up it creeks again. I plan on taking it to the dealer I bought it from and having them check it out.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer let me test drive a brand new '08 TL-S today for a good chunk of the day...it had 5 miles on it when I started and I put about 100 more miles on it driving on all kinds of roads, etc. A rattle had already started...I really like this car but man, I dunno about how it's going to hold up with that stiff suspension...I'm worried it's going to become a rattle trap.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PacketStorm
I just got my new '08 TL-S broken in (around 800 miles) but the center console now "creaks" when I step on the gas or hit the brake. It's not audible if the radio is turned up, but if someone is in the car with me and the radio is low it's very obvious. At first I didn't think it was that bad, but it has become really annoying. It seems that when the frame flexes (ever so slightly) under light acceleration, braking or going over an uneven road (but not bumpy) it is causing something in the center console to make this noise. I have a hard time believing this is normal for a 40k car!

So, before I take my ride back to the dealer and dealing with the possibility of them screwing something up trying to fix this, I thought I would see what you guys here have experienced...

Thanks for any input!
My 08 Type-S had some creaks from the trim piecs around the shifter, the silver trim. I pulle dit put some felt tape all around and it went away.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mondo540
Dealer let me test drive a brand new '08 TL-S today for a good chunk of the day...it had 5 miles on it when I started and I put about 100 more miles on it driving on all kinds of roads, etc. A rattle had already started...I really like this car but man, I dunno about how it's going to hold up with that stiff suspension...I'm worried it's going to become a rattle trap.
It has nothing to do with stiff suspension, Honda interiors are notroius for rattles and weak build quality. My 08 Type-S the headliner was all messed up form factory. I fixed most of it, but have a few squeaks to still fix. So far at 2500 miles ,y 08 is fairly quiet, quieter than my 07 TL was and not as quiet as my 06 was. My 04 TL was the haunted house on wheels for noises.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KeithL
It has nothing to do with stiff suspension, Honda interiors are notroius for rattles and weak build quality. My 08 Type-S the headliner was all messed up form factory. I fixed most of it, but have a few squeaks to still fix. So far at 2500 miles ,y 08 is fairly quiet, quieter than my 07 TL was and not as quiet as my 06 was. My 04 TL was the haunted house on wheels for noises.

I love my 04 6MT TL, but all the rattles are just crazy. Too many to even single out where they are coming from. Its almost 4 years old but only 32k miles. I would turn up the radio but then that causes more rattles

I need to take some time to go through and put felt everywhere until I can narrow it down to a manageable amount of rattles.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:53 AM
2007 TL TYPE S ASM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While driving my '07 MDX tonight noticed that the creeking sound is coming from the 2 halves that open rubbing together when they are closed in the center. It is not the hinge, which makes sense when you put downward pressure on it with your arm it pushes them closer together. Now what to do about it? I will see if I can adjust them out.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL

Yeh, after reading a ton about this in the forums, you are right. It is across the board...but I'm sure the susp. doesn't help...I will prob. lease an S anyway...I just can't find anything else for the price (they are dealing) that offer such a good combo of interior layout, style, technology, decent performance and everyday livability/drivability...it's a really nice 4 door sedan and I hope I am not sorry...g35 just isn't doing it for me...4 yr old tl looks better IMO.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Lovin' My TL-S

Thanks for the replies

I'm going to see if I can pull off either side of the console and get my wife to drive around while I listen to find where the sound is coming from. I'm sure it's something that can be solved with a screwdriver and/or some moleskin. The problem is going to be getting to the f'ing source!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Lovin' My TL-S

Oh yeah, I thought I would clarify. It's not the center console (as in between the driver and passenger for your elbow) that's creaking, it's the main center console with the Navi screen and radio. This is going to be a B*TCH to get into.

I know my limits though, if I have to start pulling hard on panels to get at it, I'm taking it to the dealer. I don't want to snap a connector off or crack something. That would be my luck...
Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

I know this thread has been dead for a while - but we are entering around of new owners on the type s (me) and I've been making great progress getting rattles fixed and I think I have this one - did you ever get it figured out? I started by just taking the silber trim off [I can make it creak just by pressing on it - thought it was the culprit, but i still hear the noise] Any advice you have would be appreciated. Hopefully you still remember

Originally Posted by PacketStorm
Thanks for the replies

I'm going to see if I can pull off either side of the console and get my wife to drive around while I listen to find where the sound is coming from. I'm sure it's something that can be solved with a screwdriver and/or some moleskin. The problem is going to be getting to the f'ing source!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Cruisin'

Creaking solution

Hey guys - I know this is an old thread but I was able to reach a resolution of my 'creaking' sound in the center console so I thought I'd share it for anyone else on google / this site with a similar problem. Turns out the problems were the screws attaching the radio unit on the side - once they were loosened the issue was resolved. To get to this you need to remove the two side plastic pieces and all of the pieces required to remove those. If anyone has this issue and needs assistance feel free to message me/ reply to this post and I can provide further info.