3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 TL-S MT - Front suspension creak (with audio!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 TL-S MT - Front suspension creak (with audio!)

Hi all,

I was beginning to notice a bit of a "creak" developing from the front driver's side. It was relatively minor and would come and go, so I didn't think too much of it. Put the car up on jacks and everything looked fine as well (pic attached).

However, the last time I took the car out, it got bad...like really bad. I finally got a chance to get it on video, so hopefully the audio might be familiar to someone. I'm guessing it's something with the spring/shock or lower ball joint. Feeling a bit under the weather this week, so may not get it back on stands for a few days, but was hoping for some input on what I could focus on.

The attached audio starts from backing out of a parking lot (the large creak at around 5 seconds is from cutting the wheel back), then driving around the streets. Phone was placed near the "dead pedal", for reference. Once I get on the highway, it becomes much less noticeable. Does not matter if I am in gear or if the clutch is in, but sharp steering inputs or braking does seem to make it a bit louder for a moment.

Car is a 2007 TL-S 6MT with around 76k miles.

Attached Files
File Type: wav
TLaudio.wav (1.81 MB, 58 views)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Could also be motor mounts
Old 09-25-2018, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Its probably a lower ball joint.

It only makes noise when the car is sitting on the ground, but goes away when you lift it up?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Could also be motor mounts
Hmm, it seems to be coming from the driver's side though. Isn't that the transmission?

Originally Posted by BROlando
Its probably a lower ball joint.

It only makes noise when the car is sitting on the ground, but goes away when you lift it up?
Haven't gotten around to lifting it, but I was thinking of sticking the jack on the LCA this time. Looks like these are a pain to replace...

Would these be the replacements for them?
51220-SDA-A02 (JOINT, FRONT BALL (LOWER)) **Includes Ball Joint, Boot and Ball Clip
90363-SEP-A00 (NUT, CASTLE (12mm))
94201-30220 (PIN, SPLIT (3.0 x 22))
Old 09-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those look to be the right parts. I recently replaced my lower ball joints and it's a pretty involved process. You'll want to watch lots of videos, rent tools like a ball joint tool and axle nut sockets. I also ordered a time sert kit to re-tap the threads in my brembo calipers. The ball joint tool also did not fit for removing the ball joints, so I ended up cutting off the stud and pounding them out with a hammer. I had to try a few different ball joint separators because the sleeve in the lower control arm tends to stay stuck on the ball joint. I also didn't remove the ABS sensors and instead just unplugged them and left them attached to the steering knuckle when I removed it.

i have a front end clunk that I'm also trying to diagnose and this did not resolve it. However, I have 213k on my car and these lower ball joints seemed like they were ready for replacement.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Its simple, as far as I see it.

Remove the spindle. Pound the old ball joint out with a hammer (be smart on how you brace the spindle). Put the new one in with a press.

Done-zo. 1hr or so.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 PM
10th Gear

Sorry for the lack of updates, been a bit busy.

It's simple, but as you pointed out: Put the new one in with a press. I don't have a press, lol.

I was considering pulling off the knuckle and taking it to a shop, but due to a lack of space and the fact that I just got done doing all the ball joint boots on my Miata (which was quite a pain) and know how easily I might mess up the other other ball joints trying to remove them, I figured I'd just take it to the dealer since they said they could just do the ball joints. My go-to shop said they would only replace the entire knuckle. Well, the dealer couldn't press out the passenger balljoint, so ended up replacing the whole knuckle. So that was a $1200 experience...

Haven't exactly been driving it around a lot, but have yet to hear the noise come back, so that was likely the issue, for future reference. If I hear it again, I'll be sure to update.

Thanks!