Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 WDP vs School Bus...Bus Wins

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 WDP vs School Bus...Bus Wins

I was driving to pick up my kids last Thursday when a school bus ran a full stop and broadsided another school bus. The bus that got broadsided then came over the double yellow lines and hit me head on at about 35-40 mph. The front wheel of the bus popped up and rolled over my hood. The bus came down on my hood and dragged me for about 50 ft, wedging me between the bus and a big dirt pile. The air bags did not go off, even though one of the sensors was sheared off!

I actually managed to get myself out and then went to the hospital with some neck pain and a torn ACL in my right knee. Not bad for no air bags!

My big problem now is that the insurance adjuster just saw my car and it will not be totaled!! He claims that just looking at hit he estimates about $12,000 damage. Once they start stripping it, I'm hoping they find enough more to total it.

The pictures below don't do the damage justice. They also don't show the bus coming to rest on the A pillar.

Anyone else have any experience having a car repaired after this much damage? I really don't want it back, but I won't have much of a choice it the appraisal isn't readjusted. It only had 23,000 miles on it and true market value was about $28,500. I can't see how it would be the same after repairs.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/3664/2yn1.th.jpg

[img=http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/3664/2yn1.th.jpg]
Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow... That sucks.

What's funny is I think heard about that story on CNN.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
wow, looks like the car will have to get all new stuuf that was on the right side, and also some major bodywork because the piller absorbed the imapect and is slightly crushed near the bottom.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sucks, but glad your okay.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man i would have pissed my pants seeing a bus barrelling towards me!

Were there any kids on the bus? Id say neck pain and a torn ACL is better then dead.

Yeah i wouldnt want that car back either. Looks totaled to me, jsut based on visual structural damage. Even if they get it repaired, id predict squeaks up the wazoo!

Good Luck
Old 12-20-2006, 06:29 PM
WDP Is Faster

glad u ok!

in for the pics of the new 2007 TL-S you getting !!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:17 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
My 02 MDX was hit almost as bad w/12K miles on it @ 1 year old. I felt as you do now. Damage was ~$9000.

Long story short, car now has 30K miles, no squeaks or rattles or problems at all. If you have a good insurance company go with one of their recommended repair facilities and all new factory parts. My warranty is lifetime from both the repair shop and the insurance company. You can't unring the bell, you're already as screwed as your going to be. It took about 5-7 trips back to a few places to get things to my satisfaction over a one year period. Had to have new strut, axle, wheel, fender, bumper airbag etc. We have been on a few trips of up to 1000 miles.

There will be diminished value that depending on state law may or may not be recoverable, mine was not. We decided to keep the car and see what happens. THis has been a good decision so far. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad. Don't be in a hurry to settle the medical, I think you have two years.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Racer

holy crap...hopefully when they start ripping it apart they will find more damage. too bad the air bags didnt go of they would have increased the total itself. at least your ok.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crazy...I always worry about bus drivers these days, there should be better criteria in their hiring process.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
just to keep you in the holiday spirts all things considered....

took a look at your pics and my bodyshop guy said to tell you that'll buff right out!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Good to see that only a few things happened to you. I wouldn't worry about the car, after it gets fixed you can trade it in on another. And with the money you're going to get for the phyiscal damaged to you, you'll have enogh money to do it.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
My 02 MDX was hit almost as bad w/12K miles on it @ 1 year old. I felt as you do now. Damage was ~$9000.

Long story short, car now has 30K miles, no squeaks or rattles or problems at all. If you have a good insurance company go with one of their recommended repair facilities and all new factory parts. My warranty is lifetime from both the repair shop and the insurance company. You can't unring the bell, you're already as screwed as your going to be. It took about 5-7 trips back to a few places to get things to my satisfaction over a one year period. Had to have new strut, axle, wheel, fender, bumper airbag etc. We have been on a few trips of up to 1000 miles.

There will be diminished value that depending on state law may or may not be recoverable, mine was not. We decided to keep the car and see what happens. THis has been a good decision so far. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad. Don't be in a hurry to settle the medical, I think you have two years.
Exactly. I work for an insurance company, but I'm also extremely anal about my cars.

Don't skimp on body shops. If you're insured with a major carrier (i.e. State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, etc,) use one of their recommended body shops, but use the one who you feel is the most capable,

As mentioned, the repairs are warranted for life. In my case my dealership has an onsite bodyshop that is the only factory authorized bodyshop in the midwest. THey also repair non-Acura automobiles. They also happened to be one of my insurance company's recommended body shops (best scenario ever).

They've worked on all my Acuras and non-Acura vehicles. They do great work.

Once they did repairs our old '98 Pathfinder after my wife had a little mishap. Repairs seemd to be fine, but after a year I noticed the paint on the bumper was cracking in one spot. I took it back, they looked at it told me that not enough flex agent was put in the paint and immediately scheduled me to bring it in to have the bumper repainted. They were actually a bit embarassed, but hey stuff happens and they made good.

In total they've worked on 6 of my past and present cars and that was the only incident.

Make sure they belong to I-CAR.

Don't skimp.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nyctl
just to keep you in the holiday spirts all things considered....

took a look at your pics and my bodyshop guy said to tell you that'll buff right out!

Ask him what pad I should use with my Porter Cable to remove yellow school bus damage. We could make millions.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
oh man...that looks totaled to me and its a WDP too! I have a WDP and makes me wanna cry seeing that...
Old 12-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

for the lazy
Old 12-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Exactly. I work for an insurance company, but I'm also extremely anal about my cars.

Don't skimp on body shops. If you're insured with a major carrier (i.e. State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, etc,) use one of their recommended body shops, but use the one who you feel is the most capable,

As mentioned, the repairs are warranted for life. In my case my dealership has an onsite bodyshop that is the only factory authorized bodyshop in the midwest. THey also repair non-Acura automobiles. They also happened to be one of my insurance company's recommended body shops (best scenario ever).

Once they did repairs our old '98 Pathfinder after my wife had a little mishap. Repairs seemd to be fine, but after a year I noticed the paint on the bumper was cracking in one spot. I took it back, they looked at it told me that not enough flex agent was put in the paint and immediately scheduled me to bring it in to have the bumper repainted. They were actually a bit embarassed, but hey stuff happens and they made good.

In total they've worked on 6 of my past and present cars and that was the only incident.

Don't skimp.
What body shop is that? Do they do custom work
Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear and see the accident. Im glad your not that hurt and your kids were not in the car
Old 12-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by shayan
What body shop is that? Do they do custom work
Not sure about that, you can always call them. Libertyville Auto Body. Part of the Acura of Libertyville dealership.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Thank God you hadn't picked your kids up yet I assume.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:17 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

sorry to hear the accident man...hope everything works out...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Intermediate

Fortunately I had not picked my kids up yet, and the buses had just made their last stops.

On top of all this, I just got back from an MRI that showed two herniated disks in my spine.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't skimp.
Can you tell what place/dealer you are talking about?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mlody
Can you tell what place/dealer you are talking about?
I did.

Not sure about that, you can always call them. Libertyville Auto Body. Part of the Acura of Libertyville dealership.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Retired and Loving It

Get a lawyer. You'll need one to deal with the school bus co. or school district which owns the bus. I wouldn't trust my insurance co. to settle with the bus co. or school district, you'll get screwed. Insist that the TL is totaled. Don't settle on your injuries until you're sure you are fully healed and back to normal. A good lawyer will give you more power to negotiate.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Crazy...I always worry about bus drivers these days, there should be better criteria in their hiring process.
in the town I lived before I moved to MA, my next door neighbor was a woman who could not drive at all, on a weekly basis she would either back into her mailbox or hit her garage door...guess what she did for a living...??...yep school bus driver...go figure..
twysk, glad your OK, the TL is only a machine that can be fixed....and by the looks I can say that it will most probably be 100% back to normal...
Old 12-22-2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Get a lawyer. You'll need one to deal with the school bus co. or school district which owns the bus. I wouldn't trust my insurance co. to settle with the bus co. or school district, you'll get screwed. Insist that the TL is totaled. Don't settle on your injuries until you're sure you are fully healed and back to normal. A good lawyer will give you more power to negotiate.

Not always, and why should he have to deal with the school bus company (assuming he has full coverage). The school bus company was clearly at fault. His insurance company should deal with them, that's why you pay them. Trust me, insurance companies are relentless about going after money that's owed to them. Once his insurance company pays to fix his car, they are going to be all over that insurance company to get their money back.

Unless he was truly injured where he could collect "pain & suffering" he may come out behind. Most insurance companies are (or should) pay you what the claim is worth. A lawyer isn't going to fight on your behalf for free. They will get a cut, and an insurance company isn't going to give you more money to cover your lawyer fees.

Best advice is to find out how much the damage is compared to the value of the car. Determine your insurance carrier's threshold for totalling the car.

Looking at that damage I have doubts they'll total the car. Here's why.

My neighbor bought his son a 2006 Civic EX Coupe for graduation last year. Within a month (only 1K miles) the kid ran up over a curb, through a fence I think hit a hydrant. It ripped off the right side fender, tore off both front and rear passenger side wheels (yes tore off), and set off the side curtain airbags. (quite a bit of suspension damage).

Believe it or not, but they didn't total the car. Repairs were in excess of $12K. Now you might argue that the car was new, but the Civic isn't that expensive as compared to what this TL is probably still worth.

I think he had State Farm. Nonetheless, he used a very reputable bodyshop that was part of the insurance company's network, and he insisted on OEM parts. It took them a month to fix, but it turned out as good as new.

State Farm came back and inspected the car and actually recommended he take if back because there were a couple of cosmetic things they wanted addressed (very minor), and he also had an issue with a slight vibration when braking. Turns out that the RF rotor must of been slightly bent due to the impact (it wasn't clearly visible). All issues were addressed including a brand new rotor and they've been very happy.

Again if you have a good insurance company that will stand behind their recommended shops (read: lifetime warranty) that may be the safest way to go.

Unless the insurance company is overtly trying to screw you, adding a lawyer will not necessarily get your more money.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I did.
I totally agree. I got some stuff fixed from them and they missed a spot, so they redid some of the work. Great place I will probably go there again.

Do you work at Acura of Libertyville?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Retired and Loving It

I totally agree. I got some stuff fixed from them and they missed a spot, so they redid some of the work. Great place I will probably go there again.

GoHawks said he works for an insurance company. Probably State Farm based on his post.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

I spoke to the insurance adjuster again today, and he clarified that based on what he saw externally, the estimate was a little over $11,000. But, he agrees that after that hard of an impact by such a large vehicle, they will definitely be finding a lot more damage internally. But based on the value of my car, the damage would have to be a little over $21,000 to total it. I'm not sure it will make it there. Some teenage girl a friend of mine knows managed to blow the engine on her 2005 TL. The engine alone was around $8000. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for lots of engine, suspension, and chassis damage.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
GoHawks said he works for an insurance company. Probably State Farm based on his post.

Actually no. They're our biggest competitor. I can speak positively for a company without having to work for them.

I'm not a mouthpiece for anyone. Been in the industry for over 20 years. I know a thing or two.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 AM

Nope just a big fan of them. They've taken care of my last three Acuras.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

We'll, it been a while since I last posted, but believe it or not, my car was not totaled by the insurance company!

I haven't gotten the final tally yet, but the damages will probably come in around $18-19,000. It should be ready next week sometime.

I'm really not happy about getting it back. I had actually found a 2006 leftover WDP 6 speed w/ NAVI for a great price, but had to take back the deposit when my '04 wasn't totaled.

We'll, I guess my wrecked TL will still be better than the 2007 Magnum rental I've been driving for the last 2 months.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Advanced

keep goin to the hospital and get a good lawyer and its mad $$ comin your way the school districts have enough cash anyways
Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
IM SLAMMED!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by twysk
I was driving to pick up my kids last Thursday when a school bus ran a full stop and broadsided another school bus. The bus that got broadsided then came over the double yellow lines and hit me head on at about 35-40 mph. The front wheel of the bus popped up and rolled over my hood. The bus came down on my hood and dragged me for about 50 ft, wedging me between the bus and a big dirt pile. The air bags did not go off, even though one of the sensors was sheared off!

I actually managed to get myself out and then went to the hospital with some neck pain and a torn ACL in my right knee. Not bad for no air bags!

My big problem now is that the insurance adjuster just saw my car and it will not be totaled!! He claims that just looking at hit he estimates about $12,000 damage. Once they start stripping it, I'm hoping they find enough more to total it.

The pictures below don't do the damage justice. They also don't show the bus coming to rest on the A pillar.

Anyone else have any experience having a car repaired after this much damage? I really don't want it back, but I won't have much of a choice it the appraisal isn't readjusted. It only had 23,000 miles on it and true market value was about $28,500. I can't see how it would be the same after repairs.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/3664/2yn1.th.jpg

[img=http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/3664/2yn1.th.jpg]
I had gotten into an accident with my car some rear ended me an dragged me far i got 11,500 worth of damage. my car was a finace i didnt want it back either i was hoping for it to be totaled it was only 2 months old then. sorry to hear that at least your ok.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
We'll, it been a while since I last posted, but believe it or not, my car was not totaled by the insurance company!

I haven't gotten the final tally yet, but the damages will probably come in around $18-19,000. It should be ready next week sometime.

I'm really not happy about getting it back. I had actually found a 2006 leftover WDP 6 speed w/ NAVI for a great price, but had to take back the deposit when my '04 wasn't totaled.

We'll, I guess my wrecked TL will still be better than the 2007 Magnum rental I've been driving for the last 2 months.
Continue to be patient and have a good attitude. It bodes well that it is still in the shop. Keep an open mind, the quality of the repairs might surprise you pleasantly. Keep going to the doctor and make sure that your back is ok, that's the main thing. Don't settle on the medical until you are satisified.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Intermediate

The body shop told me that the entire front suspension had to be replaced. They said that the actual damage was not as bad as it looked because the bus sat so much higher than the TL that when we collided, it just peeled all the front panels back. I can only imagine what would have happened if the TL sat any higher or lower.

What also sucks is that I appear to have what the neurologist is calling Post Concussion Syndrome. Even though I don't recall hitting my head, the force of the impact gave me whiplash and a concussion. I've had a splitting headache, blurred vision in one eye, and short term memory loss since the accident 12/14/06. I have friends calling me every few days to "remind" me about the $1000 that I borrowed last week. What are friends for? On the bright side, I can't remember anything my wife tells me!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
The body shop told me that the entire front suspension had to be replaced. They said that the actual damage was not as bad as it looked because the bus sat so much higher than the TL that when we collided, it just peeled all the front panels back. I can only imagine what would have happened if the TL sat any higher or lower.

What also sucks is that I appear to have what the neurologist is calling Post Concussion Syndrome. Even though I don't recall hitting my head, the force of the impact gave me whiplash and a concussion. I've had a splitting headache, blurred vision in one eye, and short term memory loss since the accident 12/14/06. I have friends calling me every few days to "remind" me about the $1000 that I borrowed last week. What are friends for? On the bright side, I can't remember anything my wife tells me!
Yeah, and speaking of your amnesia, I loaned you $500 last week. When are you going to pay me back? Geez, man, get your act together....

jk

I'm sorry to hear that your accident resulted in such serious injury, including brain and eye damage. Those are some pretty serious areas. I hope it all works out for you in the end and you recover.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Hope you recover, those injurys sound a little odd, because shouldn't the airbag prevented the concussion. Anyway, try to feel better and tell your friends that they'll never get their money back if they keep on pestering you.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by tahtolindo1
keep goin to the hospital and get a good lawyer and its mad $$ comin your way the school districts have enough cash anyways

Yes, because schools don't have any financial problems
Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
Hope you recover, those injurys sound a little odd, because shouldn't the airbag prevented the concussion. Anyway, try to feel better and tell your friends that they'll never get their money back if they keep on pestering you.

The airbags didn't go off. Two of the sensors were sheared off, and they still didn't go. The car would have been totaled if they had.

Quick Reply: '04 WDP vs School Bus...Bus Wins