3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 TL Front Bumper to 07 Type S Front Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:18 PM
GO BLUE!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 TL Front Bumper to 07 Type S Front Bumper?

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but the searches I've done didn't seem too help much.

To make a long story short, I hit an animal on the way home couple weeks ago. No big deal, so I thought. . .until I hear part of the front bumper dragging down the highway. After a visual inspection and a semi-quote, I am needing a new front bumper.

I was going to replace the bumper with what was original to the car, the 04 bumper and aspec lip, but decided to inestigate whether it would be worth (or too much trouble) to chenge the 04 bumper to an 07 type-s bumper. I have looked at some of the diagrams for parts online and see that they at least are similar in price and related parts. I know the 07 has fog lights, and am interested in that addition if it can be done. II am also aware of the basic design change in the lower part of the 07 bumper. I know there will be added expenses but it would not be as much since the labor will also be included in the collision repair for the most part.

I know some members have been buying the 04 Honda Accord foglights and been doing an existing mod that way. I may be interested in going this route once I explore the 07 bumper a little more.

From what I've read, there is an an air dam that may be problematic if I did decide to go with the 07 bumper? I have talked to the collision shop about changing bumpers and if it could be done.....all I got was blank stares. I was dropping my wheels off to be refinished/refurbished at the dealership and asked the service manager and parts department about the same topic.....more blank stares.

Maybe I am just wasting my time, but figured that I should at least ask those here who I consider the true experts when it comes to modifications such as this one. I figure if I have to have a new bumper put on, why not look into it. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......
Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't know that much but the only problem i've seen (i've thought about this too) is the difference in the size of the grille. The type-s grill is bigger than the 04-06 grill.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:31 PM
GO BLUE!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would consider putting the 07 grill on too. I looked at an 07 up close yesterday and believe the only way to do it is put a new grill on as well. It is larger as you descibed.

The one thing I don't know if I'm too big on is the full chromed out look of the type s. I think that would look good for awhile bit would show defects big time as time goes on. With all the paint chips on my existing bumper, I would have to think hard about the 07 type s grill or the base 07 grill. I guess that is something else to think about........