3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Acura TL 3.2 Just Bought, need recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Acura TL 3.2 Just Bought, need recommendations.

Hey, I Just bought an 04 Acura TL 3.2 6mt. I am looking to do quite a few things to this car in due time, the first thing though is brake calipers, the car came with Acura front and rear aftermarket calipers and the shop that I bought the car from replaced the rear to fix the ebrake. Now I want to find replacement calipers to match the fronts. I can’t find much for this car anywhere. Then I’d like to work on the suspension a little bit and stiffen it up. Timing belt is next, looking for an aisin kit. Car has 140k. Opened up the timing cover and the belt looks brand new. Does anybody have any recommendations on performance upgrades for this car? Thanks in advance. Been looking on this site for a few weeks and have found loads of information on here and it’s super useful!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Your car has Brembo calipers, the same calipers as on the EVO if I am not mistaken. They are enameled black and have an ACURA decal pasted on them, but they are still Brembo units. You have several options regarding refreshing them or replacing them. There are lots of threads here on those brakes so Search will help you out.

As for performance, there really isn't much you can do for these cars short of some BIG money. The consensus from the collective here is Maintenance-Maintenance-Maintenance.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So where do you think I can find some new calipers? Can you recommend any good sites that have parts? Also another thing I forgot to mention and I’ve tried researching it also, is that when I first start the car in the morning the VSA light and “!” Come on and will stay on until I shut the car off again and then I won’t see the lights again until the next day. Is the vsa system monitored by the wheel speed sensor for the abs? I’m wondering what would cause this. Thank you for your input. This is the first car I’ve had that is a good candidate to do some work on. So I plan to do some work to it.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Do you really need new calipers? If so, try RockAuto for a good price for naked calipers which you can then have coated in your favorite color and applied with a decal of your chose.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you don’t NEED new calipers I would just have yours powder coated. If you need new ones you can get them where horseshoez said, or some have even gotten new at orileys/autozone.

For your timing belt, the belt may look new, but you don’t know about the tensioner or water pump. So keep that in mind

performance. Again as horseshoez said a lot of people don’t think it’s worth it, but....
exhaust, j pipe, test pipes, pcd/hfpc are options
cold air intake, intake manifold spacer, throttle body spacer
you could do a type s ecu, and add hondata to it
Then there’s always the supercharger with supporting mods

Im sure there’s more but I believe that’s the big stuff
Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustyn 93
So where do you think I can find some new calipers? Can you recommend any good sites that have parts?
Are you looking for front or rear to replace? Are there issues? Or you just don't like they don't match? The rear are generic parts while the front are Acura branded Brembo parts. There is no "easy" solution to make them match. There used to be lots of people using RDX caliper covers over the rear to get similar looks.
Also another thing I forgot to mention and I’ve tried researching it also, is that when I first start the car in the morning the VSA light and “!” Come on and will stay on until I shut the car off again and then I won’t see the lights again until the next day. Is the vsa system monitored by the wheel speed sensor for the abs? I’m wondering what would cause this.
VSA and ABS are for sure tied together in what sensors they may use for input. You need to take the car somewhere to have the system checked to see what it is complaining about.
This is the first car I’ve had that is a good candidate to do some work on. So I plan to do some work to it.
Hopefully this understanding wasn't related to performance. This platform is NOT an easy or cheap platform to mod out for HP/TQ. It can be done, just won't be cheap or easy.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Replace all engine mounts, possibly the transmission ones too