3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04-'06 ABS/VSA modulators should be recalled- complain to the NHTSA

Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04-'06 ABS/VSA modulators should be recalled- complain to the NHTSA

410,000 Odyssey's and Element's are being recalled because the brakes fail because the VSA/ABS modulators leak air into the system.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xFiRwD9EFSEIG3

Acura/Honda has been aware of the exact same problem with the RL, TL and TSX for 2.5 years and all they've done is issue a TSB for our cars.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-041.PDF
Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Interesting....Here's the link from the HondaLink homepage:

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/mainten...ent_recall.asp

It gives a little more info. The air gets in during the VSA self-check, so one must assume this happens each time we start our cars. I personally have never had a problem, but it kind of concerns me that the potential for brake failure/reduced performance exists for our cars based on a designed operational procedure.

Wonder if the 3G VSA modulator-control part numbers cross-reference with the Honda VSA M-C part numbers?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Instructor

I have a problem where the brake pedal goes closer to the floor as you're slowing down, each time the trans downshifts. I figured it might be a bad brake booster.

Now I'm wondering if this is what I'm experiencing from the wording of the Odyssey recall:

"gradually exhibit a pedal height that gets lower (closer to the floor) before the vehicle stops."
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been noticing that my brake pedal a bit softer than usual. Anyone with the same experience?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
soft pedal can be needs fluid flush- moisture gets absorbed from the air and makes pedal feel funny plus detroys brake parts

acura says start flushing brake fluid at year 3, smart people do it every year

That will give an overall weaker feel as moisture compresses and brake fluid does not.
If you have a weakening feeling while stopping- make an appt with the dealer

There are a number of secret warrantys- where a TSB may say if certain things found it becomes warranty...
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Instructor

The brake fluid in our car is 2yrs old, that's not it. What irks me is that there have probably be uninformed people who went to the dealer out of warranty with this problem, only to have a service advisor tell them they need new $1k+ ABS/VSA modulator.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
It almost killed me 2 years ago.....

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/umm-curse-continues-part-6-blackura-no-more-622819/

After having the master cylinder replaced several times, and Acura not being able to fix my complaints.. i upgraded to a BBK thinking it would resolve my problems....

after my wreck, insurance investigators discovered i had a faulty VSA modulator, and it was pumping air into the lines, which kept busting the seal on the Master Cylinder. it also kept clogging the drivers side brake line.

The TSB was released from Acura 2 days before my accident
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
I have a problem where the brake pedal goes closer to the floor as you're slowing down, each time the trans downshifts. I figured it might be a bad brake booster.

Now I'm wondering if this is what I'm experiencing from the wording of the Odyssey recall:

"gradually exhibit a pedal height that gets lower (closer to the floor) before the vehicle stops."

i have something similar to this too, but i want to say i have always had this issue...3 years now. on my way home i have a pretty steep road that has a stop sign at the bottom. i slowly press the brake to slow, not too firm, then it kinda automatically goes further down and engages MUCH firmer. not sure if this has something to do with the angle of the car and it feeling like i am not braking hard enough so it helps me out. definitely something i want to keep an eye out for...thanks for bringing this to our attention again!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Here is a link to the TSB

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/new-tsb-04-06-tl-brakes-623310/

It was released July 31st 2007... I wrecked my car July 24th
Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Indeed they should! Ever fucking time I have an ABS event my brake pedal feels spongy and like total crap. In which the only fix is bleed my brakes during lunch.. Which makes it even more a pain in the ass are the brembo brakes because of the clear coat finish on the calipers. You have to really take your time and watch where the brake fluid goes other wise say good bye to the clear on those fancy calipers.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Instructor

They're supposed to have a list of affected models after April 13. If the RL, TL and TSX aren't included by then, I plan on contacting Associated Press and seeing if they're aware of the TSB. Someone should put pressure on these manufacturers. It's enough that the quality on these cars is shit without major issues like this one.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i had this problem early last year where my pedal would just go down to the floor, and it would take some pumping to build pressure in order for the brakes to slow down/stop the car...

since my car is under warranty, i took it into Acura telling them i suspect it was a bad master cylinder leak... i got an 09 loaner and my service mgr calls me to tell me that the VSA/ABS module is defective... pumping air into the master cylinder as the TSB states... they replaced the module for me, flushed the brake fluid, and it has been okay ever since...

i still remind myself to be aware of my braking though, after i spoke to blakura and read that this similar problem almost got him killed...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Back in 07 or 08 when i went in for service for my 06 TL the service guy told me that my brakes are soft, and they told me if i had to push harder to brake and i told them everything seem kinda normal to me, but they found something wrong with my brakes and they went ahead and did the change for me while i was there!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how do we complain
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622819

After having the master cylinder replaced several times, and Acura not being able to fix my complaints.. i upgraded to a BBK thinking it would resolve my problems....

after my wreck, insurance investigators discovered i had a faulty VSA modulator, and it was pumping air into the lines, which kept busting the seal on the Master Cylinder. it also kept clogging the drivers side brake line.

I remember this because I had the same prolem. You upgraded to the BBK thinking it would fix your issue and nadda. I had the same issue with my car. I took it in and they bleeded my breaks and it came back. This is a common problem and Acura refuses to address it.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Project X
how do we complain
Have at it:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
any problems with the 07-08 type-s?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Cruisin'

Have had the same problem. Car was at the dealers for about 3 days and at the end they tell me that i needed to have bleed the brakes and put lubricant on the caliper slide pins. I said B.S. did what they suggested and it was better, i'll give them some credit. Then slowly it's been getting worse and worse. Just printed the TSB and will be dropping the car off once again and hope this time they solve the issue.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Indeed they should! Ever fucking time I have an ABS event my brake pedal feels spongy and like total crap. In which the only fix is bleed my brakes during lunch.. Which makes it even more a pain in the ass are the brembo brakes because of the clear coat finish on the calipers. You have to really take your time and watch where the brake fluid goes other wise say good bye to the clear on those fancy calipers.
I know.. I painted mine and then redid my brake fluid and dint realize how corrosive brake fluid was.. messed up my newly painted calipers!! UGH!!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Hi there,
I'm wondering how to get more information about this problem found in your post about the VSA modulator=control unit?(The Honda link doesn't work!) More:

Acura/Honda has been aware of the exact same problem with the RL, TL and TSX for 2.5 years and all they've done is issue a TSB for our cars.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-041.PDF
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
After a hard ABS stop, I noticed my brakes were much softer than usual. After doing some internet digging and found this thread and TSB. I have an 05 TL with 78000 miles that I bought certified almost three years ago. I am planning on calling the dealer where I bought my car from, and hoping for a goodwill TSB repair. Any tips on how to negotiate a free repair?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622819

F'n shiet! I've already replaced my master cylinder, and it sounds like the problem behind my brakes not being able to be bled correctly is this vsa modulator.

I don't understand how a simple lower ball joint job where I had to remove the calipers could go so bad.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:03 AM
10th Gear

I am definitely going out to the NTSB site to register a complaint, but I wanted to check here about other Acuras with VSA problems.

In July '14 I took my '05 MDX in to the dealer for the most recent VSA recall.

Approximately 5 weeks later, I experienced what appeared to be my Antilock Brakes engaging quickly for a short burst, first on the driver side, for about 10 quick pulses. It felt as though I had driven over the small lane bumps, but there was nothing in the road. This was when the VSA warning light and triangle appeared. Later that day when I returned to my car, the light was not on, but within 5 miles, the same thing happened again, this time coming from the passenger side. The light has been on since that time.

This sounds like the problem that was occurring that the recall was supposed to fix (which I was not having any problem until after they "fixed" my car).

Of course I took it back to the dealer to have the computer codes read and diagnose the problem. They performed the diagnostics and did the troubleshooting protocol and could not find anything wrong. The next step in the diagnosis is to replace the VSA / ABS module with a known working unit - which will cost $1500 for just the part and $500 for labor. Of course this part almost NEVER goes bad, so they don't have it on hand and I would have to order it. And, they don't even know if this will fix the problem, it's just the next step in the diagnosis.

The dealer does not believe that it is related to the recall work that was just done, but I do not see how it just happens to have a problem with a part that almost never breaks so soon after it was patched. I contacted Acura and of course they reached out to the dealer and say that it isn't their problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? I love this car, but $2k and it might not even fix the problem?

Thanks, Linda

PS. The day I picked it up after the recall service, the rear view mirror had a bubble in it. I know that this is a common problem, but really bad timing for it to happen. Oh, and I've had 2 vent clips break off. Sigh.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced

For the last few weeks my brake pedal has been slipping halfway to the floor before engaging.

When I push the brake pedal it seems to have no pressure, goes down about halfway, and finally activates the brakes. Once it engages, it never slips any further and holds pressure; however, the pedal is at least halfway if not more of the way down. If I let the pedal go and try it again, the pedal usually engages normally. Later on, it randomly happens again where it slips half way down. This is super scary when I go to brake and feel as if I have no brakes.

I'm not familiar with TSB's. Is it free for me to have my car inspected for this issue and does it cost me anything if they agree this is the issue?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsysiegals
For the last few weeks my brake pedal has been slipping halfway to the floor before engaging.

When I push the brake pedal it seems to have no pressure, goes down about halfway, and finally activates the brakes. Once it engages, it never slips any further and holds pressure; however, the pedal is at least halfway if not more of the way down. If I let the pedal go and try it again, the pedal usually engages normally. Later on, it randomly happens again where it slips half way down. This is super scary when I go to brake and feel as if I have no brakes.

I'm not familiar with TSB's. Is it free for me to have my car inspected for this issue and does it cost me anything if they agree this is the issue?
No and no. If it's not a recall, it's up to the dealership to determine how to deal with you.

This isn't really related to the topic, if you don't have one in the Problems & Fixes you should create one there. We can help you there.