AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   [DIY] Detailed Guide to installing Inspire Fog Lights (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/%5Bdiy%5D-detailed-guide-installing-inspire-fog-lights-930705/)

guitarplayer16 05-11-2015 12:25 PM

[DIY] Detailed Guide to installing Inspire Fog Lights

39 Attachment(s)
Attachment 69624

1.0 Introduction

I can't recall there being a full writeup for installing Inspire fog lights. I have however seen people post very nice pictures of their install journey, but those are scattered in random threads.

I've performed the install once before but I can't find the pictures of it, so today I had the chance to install them on Popee's car and decided to make this DIY.

Since this is a retrofit and there are many different ways and outcomes, here is how I perform the install.

If you're interested in accord fogs, you may find this DIY useful:

Attachment 69625

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-06-tl-817615/

2.0 Materials

+ Dremel (with cutting bit, sanding bit, drill bit)
+ Various Screws and screwdrivers that you probably have in your garage.
+ 10mm socket, and 12mm socket.
+ Safety Goggles (you DO NOT want pieces of plastic in your eyes)

3.0 Parts

+ Inspire fog lights, commonly found on eBay

4.0 Disclaimer

This mod requires cutting of your front bumper, and lower grills. It also deals with wiring.
I created this guide to help you through the install process as best as possible, but if you mess something up, I won't be held liable :thumbsup:

Now that's out of the way, let's get started!

5.0 The Cutting

1. Remove the front bumper.

Video:

Attachment 69626

Attachment 69627

Attachment 69628

2. Bring it inside the house or an open environment where it will be easy to clean/vacuum.

3. Remove the lower grills.
There are 4 tabs on the top and 4 tabs on the bottom of the lower grill.
If you have an A-Spec lip, you will need to partially remove it to allow the grill to come out.

Attachment 69629

Attachment 69630

Now we're ready to cut!

4. Take your dremel and attach the cutting bit.
I started on the right side, and here is where I started cutting.
The pictures are just for reference. I cut a bit more in the end, so be sure to check out the final results pictures posted further in the DIY.

Attachment 69631

Attachment 69632

Attachment 69633

Attachment 69634

Test fit... still too tight.

Attachment 69635

Attachment 69636

Had to cut more off of the left and right.

Attachment 69637

Attachment 69638

5. Once the fog light fits through the bumper, it is now time to cut the lower grill. I started by eyeballing the area that needs to come out, by holding the fog light behind the grill.

Attachment 69639

Attachment 69640

6. Grind down the grill lines that stuck out of the "bezel". We want the fog light to fit flush inside the outer bezel of the lower grill.

Attachment 69641

Attachment 69642

Attachment 69643

Attachment 69644

7. Here are measurements of where to cut, using the middle vertical grill line as reference. These measurements are safe, as I still had to dremel down the lines a bit so the bars wouldn't bend from being too tight.

There are 5 grill lines running horizontal.

From bottom to top:

3 cm
3.4 cm
4 cm
5.3 cm
6.7 cm

Refer to the image above this in step 6 to picture how it is...

8. If the fit is too tight and the grill lines bend, dremel it down more using the sanding bit.

Perfect fitment. You can see how grill lines are not cut short, or bent from being too tight.

Attachment 69645

Attachment 69646

9. For the big middle grill line, I made a notch in the middle so the fog light can "notch" inside. This is because I've seen many installs where the big middle grill line looks too short. If you perform the notch, the grill line will still be long, but the fog light will be able to fit in place.
You can see the notch in the middle bar line if you look here:

Attachment 69647

10. As a whole assembly, with the fog light fitted inside the lower grill, place it inside the bumper and snap in all tabs.

11. If it is too tight of a fit and the inspire fog pops out of the lower grill, that means you need to cut a little bit more in the back of the bumper.
Regardless of how much you cut, you will notice the fit is VERY tight and won't be going anywhere.

12. Once everything fits right, take a small drill bit and make a pilot hole for the screw to secure it. The fit is tight already without a screw, but the screw is just there for "security".
Take a small screw, I used a 8x1/2 screw, and put it through the bumper, and into the fog light housing.

Attachment 69648

Attachment 69649

13. Perform the same steps for the left side.

Attachment 69650

Attachment 69651

Attachment 69652

Attachment 69653

The pictures below show the final result of cutting.
You may notice where I had to cut some more from some of the pictures shown above.

Right side:

Attachment 69654

Attachment 69655

Attachment 69656

Left side:

Attachment 69657

Attachment 69658

Attachment 69659

6.0 The Wiring

There are two harnesses.
Engine bay harness and cabin harness.

Engine Bay Harness:

+ Black ring terminal - Ground. This goes to any body ground. I used a passenger fender bolt.

+ Red wire with ring terminal - Positive. This goes to the positive battery terminal, or fuse box screw.

+ Yellow wire. This wire goes to the cabin harness' yellow wire.
It will need to connect through the firewall, using the provided red wire.

+ Fog light plugs - plug into fog light bulbs.

Cabin Harness

You will have to remove the lower dash kick panel.

+ Red wire - Positive. This is your trigger wire.
If you want independent control of your fogs, use an "add-a-circuit" and put it to fuse #32. If you want them triggered by parking lights, wire them to red/black stripe wire behind the lower dash.

+ Black wire, with ring terminal - ground. Use any body ground. I used the bolt under the steering column.

+ Yellow wire - Attach to yellow wire coming from engine bay using provided red wire.

+ Green plug connector - Attach to fog switch.
Pop out the blank switch beside mirror controls by removing lower dash, and replace with fog switch.

Here's a picture if you're a visual learner.

Attachment 69660

Attachment 69661

Attachment 69662

I hope this helps!

Popee 05-11-2015 12:31 PM

The Best write up you'll find for these fogs trust me lol, I know

polobunny 05-11-2015 12:38 PM

Clean write up gp16! Will make sure to use whenever I get the inspires. :)

cust0mx 05-11-2015 12:38 PM

Thank you so much! I've been meaning to get this done for the longest time and these directions will help immensely.

CLtotheTL32 05-11-2015 01:13 PM

Fantastic write-up as always GP! :toocool:

mazen222 05-11-2015 01:24 PM

nice write up indeed. Sounds like an engineering work instruction :)

N1h1l1ty 05-11-2015 05:09 PM

You've outdone yourself Thanh :thumbsup:

spatel83 05-11-2015 07:38 PM

Nice work Thanh,
Allen, Car is looking good

EddieOnAZ 05-11-2015 08:34 PM

Great write up! Every detail is on point. I especially like the "notch" in the lower grille, that's where I fucked up lol

06TLMatt 05-11-2015 08:38 PM

Definitely should be added to the garage, great DIY

0utl 05-11-2015 08:54 PM

This is a very inspiring DIY :thumbsup: good job! I'll have to give this a shot now.

Bruce Banner 05-11-2015 11:17 PM

Thanks for the DIY!

Following this wiring scheme, will it turn on and off independently once the parking lights are on and turn off regardless once the parking lights are off?

Popee 05-12-2015 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce Banner (Post 15434334)
Thanks for the DIY!

Following this wiring scheme, will it turn on and off independently once the parking lights are on and turn off regardless once the parking lights are off?

Regardless, goes on and off once you turn the key:thumbsup:

dookie320 05-12-2015 11:07 AM

great write up, I will be using this when I order mine.

guitarplayer16 05-13-2015 11:52 AM

Glad you guys find this useful.

I forgot to mention, the fogs in Popee's install are smoked.

I also should mention the wiring schematic I showed by picture is a bit wrong.
Follow my text as to where things should go, but I realized the picture says the "red extension wire" goes to the red wire on the cabin harness which is wrong.
The red extension wire goes to the yellow wire from the cabin harness and the other end goes through the firewall and to the yellow from the engine bay harness.

The red wire with the brown connector from the cabin harness goes to the add-a-circuit.
You'll have to snip off the brown connector obviously, and crimp it to the add-a-circuit.

Again, just follow my text instructions and you'll be fine, the picture is sort of wrong, which I will try to fix later.

thoiboi 05-13-2015 12:01 PM

DIY needs moar dragons.. :O

and more post-processing.. I'm much disappointed Thanh, you've let us down.

guitarplayer16 05-13-2015 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the fixed picture:

Attachment 69532

guitarplayer16 05-13-2015 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15436050)
DIY needs moar dragons.. :O

and more post-processing.. I'm much disappointed Thanh, you've let us down.

haha!

I used the S95 that day, can't be bothered to use a DSLR for a DIY :tomato:

polobunny 05-13-2015 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16 (Post 15436070)
haha!

I used the S95 that day, can't be bothered to use a DSLR for a DIY :tomato:

Not shooting your DIY in raw is deceiving. I really thought you'd go the extra length and calibrate the white point with a grey card too. :rofl:

Bruce Banner 05-14-2015 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Popee (Post 15434429)
Regardless, goes on and off once you turn the key:thumbsup:

What if I want to control the on part separately once the key is turned? I also want it to turn off with the parking lights even if the fog switch is on also.

Popee 05-14-2015 08:55 AM

^^^ I think that's how gp16 has his wire up, on his accord fogs set up, might be best to pm him,
Mine are true independent, once the car is on, I control when I want to turn it off and on with a click of the button

guitarplayer16 05-14-2015 11:14 AM

If you'd like them to be dependent of the parking lights meaning they can only turn on/off when your parking lights are on, and if the parking lights are off, the fogs are off automatically, (pretty OEM-like), instead of using the add-a-circuit, you will put the red wire from the cabin harness and splice it into the parking light wire using a splice connector.

The parking light wire is ANY red with black stripe wire throughout the car.
The one I was taught to use was the one on the top left hand side behind the lower dash. I believe there are pictures of that location in my accord fog DIY.

Now since I've gotten a bit more intelligent since the accord fog DIY, I would just splice it into the parking light wire (red/black strip wire) coming from the VSA button.

Throughout many, if not, all Hondas and Acuras, the Red/Black stripe wire is known to be the parking light wire, which gets powered to illuminate the interior button backlighting.
Anything that lights up in your car as soon as your turn on your parking lights uses the red/black wire.

maharajamd 05-14-2015 02:08 PM

Great writeup as usual GP!

But man IMO they look so wrong on a 3G. The front end isn't near "blocky" enough for them to look right. I mean are they taller than the headlights? Lol

I hope you personally are still rocking the accords as they are much more suited for our cars.

Bruce Banner 05-14-2015 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16 (Post 15437289)
If you'd like them to be dependent of the parking lights meaning they can only turn on/off when your parking lights are on, and if the parking lights are off, the fogs are off automatically, (pretty OEM-like), instead of using the add-a-circuit, you will put the red wire from the cabin harness and splice it into the parking light wire using a splice connector.

The one I was taught to use was the one on the top left hand side behind the lower dash. I believe there are pictures of that location in my accord fog DIY.

Now since I've gotten a bit more intelligent since the accord fog DIY, I would just splice it into the parking light wire (red/black strip wire) coming from the VSA button.

Throughout many, if not, all Hondas and Acuras, the Red/Black stripe wire is known to be the parking light wire, which gets powered to illuminate the interior button backlighting.
Anything that lights up in your car as soon as your turn on your parking lights uses the red/black wire.

Gotcha, TY

lifted23 05-15-2015 09:43 AM

This is gonna be helpful, thank you

guitarplayer16 05-15-2015 07:48 PM

You guys are all very welcome.

Please let me know how things work out!

Originally Posted by maharajamd (Post 15437490)
Great writeup as usual GP!

But man IMO they look so wrong on a 3G. The front end isn't near "blocky" enough for them to look right. I mean are they taller than the headlights? Lol

I hope you personally are still rocking the accords as they are much more suited for our cars.

I am still using accord fogs, I prefer them much more! :)

cscotty 07-04-2015 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16 (Post 15437289)

Awesome DIY tutorial bro. Definitely made my install super smooth and easy. The wiring tips were great too. Thanks!

Scott
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1d0e043520.jpg

guitarplayer16 07-04-2015 06:04 PM

Wow, install looks perfect buddy :thumbsup:

Glad I could help you :)

StanCeD_J32 07-05-2015 10:04 AM

awesome write up, wish i had this DIY a few weeks ago.

cust0mx 07-06-2015 07:56 PM

Thanks for the DIY. Just got mine installed into my bumper. Will try to remove my diffusers since the bumper is off, then install my Aspec up front and will post pictures. It's not the cleanest install, but it will do, and your pictures helped a ton

cust0mx 07-06-2015 10:15 PM

Here are some pics. Thanks again!https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...57b8fd30b5.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...08148ad876.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...c0f3a2d30b.jpg

cust0mx 07-12-2015 09:40 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3f401de615.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...72a1591d97.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6b91d4d0e1.jpg

Pretty happy with how everything turned out. Cleared out the diffusers yesterday which makes the front end look even better.

dwb993 07-13-2015 12:34 PM

Nice write up!

cscotty 07-13-2015 04:53 PM

So after just a few weeks of my install it looks like my relay crapped out. I purchased an aftermarket accessory relay kit and I would like to know if anyone knows what the colors on the original relay that came with the fog lights represent. Meaning the blue red white black and yellow wires. This way I can match them to the new relay and make sure they are connected correctly.

Thanks!

Scott

Oh Sickest TL 08-03-2015 11:13 AM

thanks, just seeing this now!

robowarrio 10-13-2015 02:24 PM

Did my Inspire install yesterday.. Turned out great.. a crazy day but they turned out great.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6b9d1fd214.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7fa63a2fae.jpg

HOWELLiNC 10-13-2015 06:51 PM

Great writeup GP! this is my next mod (among so many others) and this will be super helpful!

Oh Sickest TL 10-13-2015 07:07 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...71853e9945.jpg

did this about a month or so ago. make sure you have a plan to re locate the horn.

guitarplayer16 10-13-2015 07:20 PM

All these installs are flawless I must say!

I'm glad the DIY was able to help :)

jimmyfu 10-31-2015 08:26 PM

Did anyone run into bumper refittment issues once the inspire fogs were in? It seems my passenger side light is bumping into what I believe may be an airbag sensor, causing the bumper to not be properly aligned on the passenger side