Sponsored by:

** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Hey guys,
Well i was at a meet last month and the police decided too crack down on many of the cars there. My car was parked and right when i turned it on too leave (since they were kicking us out of in n outs parking) they stopped me. Long story short....i got a ticket for my HKS Carbon ti Exhaust I've had a fix ticket before so i know i have too take it too a police office too get it checked off, but i was wondering if im going too still have too pay the $233 for the exhaust ticket since i placed my OEM exhaust back on? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
not speaking from experience, i would imagine that you would...although they may give you some sort of discounted ticket. what would be the point of the ticket otherwise? how LAME! tell em' to SHOVE IT! lol kidding...
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by erick3
not speaking from experience, i would imagine that you would...although they may give you some sort of discounted ticket. what would be the point of the ticket otherwise? how LAME! tell em' to SHOVE IT! lol kidding...
I hope i get some sort of reward for bringing it too stock exhaust again (besides the ATLP race pipe haha) Supposedly if i take it too a state ref and do the decibel test, i can get it dismissed. Thanks for the advice...the stupid cop that got me didnt even know it was a TL!!!He asked if it was a Integra!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the exhaust system have a CARB E/O Certification?

dB test is 94db @ like 2500rpm; if it exceeds that you'll fail.

From HKS:

: All HKS exhaust systems are engineered to comply with the 95dB noise limit law specified by the California Highway Patrol and the Society of Automotive Engineers - Except ones that are designated for Off-Road Use only.

Each system is individually designed for a specific application and complies with the requirements of Sections 27150, 27151 & 27200 of the California Vehicle Code; and Title 13 of the California code of Regulations, Section 10361, which establishes a noise limit of 95dB(A) for passenger cars. This statement applies to unmodified HKS exhaust systems that are less than 13 months old, are in good condition and which have been properly installed on the specific vehicle for which it was designed.

The age of your exhaust system along with certain engine modifications, such as headers, intake, etc., may also affect its current noise level output.

Please check with your local and state law enforcement agencies for exact regulation requirements.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by timmahh
Does the exhaust system have a CARB E/O Certification?

dB test is 94db @ like 2500rpm; if it exceeds that you'll fail.
No it is not CARB certified but it doesnt go over 94db at that RPM. Its pretty subtle since i have a magnaflow resonator.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Racer

From HKS:

: All HKS exhaust systems are engineered to comply with the 95dB noise limit law specified by the California Highway Patrol and the Society of Automotive Engineers - Except ones that are designated for Off-Road Use only.

Each system is individually designed for a specific application and complies with the requirements of Sections 27150, 27151 & 27200 of the California Vehicle Code; and Title 13 of the California code of Regulations, Section 10361, which establishes a noise limit of 95dB(A) for passenger cars. This statement applies to unmodified HKS exhaust systems that are less than 13 months old, are in good condition and which have been properly installed on the specific vehicle for which it was designed.

The age of your exhaust system along with certain engine modifications, such as headers, intake, etc., may also affect its current noise level output.

Please check with your local and state law enforcement agencies for exact regulation requirements.
It one of the Off-road use only exhaust tips
Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahh then yer screwed.

(maybe)

CVC 27151:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Last edited by timmahh; 05-26-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is one of the tickets that scares me the most. I have a loud ATLP setup and dont have my stock exhaust at home (sold its cuz its too big). If i ever get a ticket i would have to go to a junk yard and try to find a used Type-S exhaust and i hear its very hard to find one.
Anyone know if the ATLP quads comply with the -95b law?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Racer

Ahh then yer screwed.

(maybe)

CVC 27151:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
yeah i read that same code haha :troutslap i guess i should get my check book then
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by juruki
This is one of the tickets that scares me the most. I have a loud ATLP setup and dont have my stock exhaust at home (sold its cuz its too big). If i ever get a ticket i would have to go to a junk yard and try to find a used Type-S exhaust and i hear its very hard to find one.
Anyone know if the ATLP quads comply with the -95b law?
but you have an advantage that the ATLP looks a lot more "stock-ish" than my exhaust did. Mine just stood out like no other.

because of its size and Ti tip
Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hows the atlp w/ resonator?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tldrummer89
but you have an advantage that the ATLP looks a lot more "stock-ish" than my exhaust did. Mine just stood out like no other.

because of its size and Ti tip
Great bumper sticker..................
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ridenfish39
Great bumper sticker..................
haha i saw it once and i had too get it.....:troutslap
Old 05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Never did understand these kinds of tickets when Harley's are usually way louder than most aftermarket exhausts for cars.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Never did understand these kinds of tickets when Harley's are usually way louder than most aftermarket exhausts for cars.
You took the words right out of my head...those suckers are really loud and the sound is IMO kind of annoying. I like the sport bikes better
Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
where in cali are you? a lot of people in fresno roll with that sticker
Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Racer

In in the San Fernando Valley around Northridge
Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Racer

So are you saying that you would be legal if your exhaust is measured at less than 95 dB?
If so, I'd have that sucker checked out before doing anything.
Find out at what distance they measure at.
Should be able to find someone who would measure the noise level for you
Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Instructor

hmm... I have kooks long tube headers with straight mid pipes (no cats) and e-cutouts on my Hemi.. and I get complimented by the CHP, not cited..

mine measures at 135db with the cut outs open at 2500 rpm...

course now it's just a matter of time since I posted this..
Old 05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
hmm... I have kooks long tube headers with straight mid pipes (no cats) and e-cutouts on my Hemi.. and I get complimented by the CHP, not cited..

mine measures at 135db with the cut outs open at 2500 rpm...

course now it's just a matter of time since I posted this..
It's called stereotypes.

The guy with a TL is obviously a rich punk kid that street races every night.

I'm sure you drive the speed limit and only got WOT at the drag strip.

=)
Old 05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,230 Posts
In the late 80's I got an exhaust ticket on my 86 300ZX in Woodland Hills. I took it to the CHP station after I had it returned to stock and paid a 10.00 administrative fee.

Bring it to a CHP station and see what they say.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh99CL
It's called stereotypes.

The guy with a TL is obviously a rich punk kid that street races every night.

I'm sure you drive the speed limit and only got WOT at the drag strip.

=)
lol I got WOT everywhere to hear my cutouts, but I hardly ever pass the speed limit..

nothing wrong with a nice WOT run to 65-70 getting on a freeway.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Racer

I got stopped about a month ago too officer saying my Exhaust was too loud and was also Illegal because it was after market. Also my windows were too dark. After about 15-20 minutes arguing about the exhaust i told him I'm a Smog tech and from the catalytic converter back you could do any thing you wanted to the exhaust AS LONG that it meets the noise levels. Then it changed started talking about my TL and how nice it was how much i got it for and other stuff. In the end he just let me off with a warning saying that i got lucky he did not write me up for my windows.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
If you fix the problem noted on the ticket, they'll reduce your fine when it's signed off by the police officer. I had gotten a $60 fix it ticket for my "missing" front license plate and I had to get it signed off. I put the plate back on and drove to a small neighboring city PD and they didn't even bother coming out to look at it. He just signed it off and told me "Have a nice day." This reduced the fine to $10. I promptly went home and took the plate back off and mailed the payment.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Traffic ticket - written declaration

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some advice on a traffic ticket. I was issued the citation under CA VC 22450(a) (stop sign) in Kern County. I live pretty far from there, so someone suggested trying a trial by written declaration. I've already gotten a 30-day delay, so I need to decide whether I want to contest it via written dec. or just pay it.

I can automatically do traffic school if I just pay it online and so I can avoid a point appearing on my record that way. If I contest it, I think I can note in the written declaration that I'd still like traffic school if found guilty, but then it's at the judges discretion. Basically I'm nervous that if I'm found guilty, the judge might just reject my traffic school request. Then I'd have to either get stuck with the point or I'd have to request a new, in person trial, try again, request it there, etc... and I really don't have time to go down to Kern County.

Any advice or additional info? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
even for written declaration, you need to pay up first and they will deposit your check.. if you are found not guilty, they just reimburse the money back to you
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
** The Traffic Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Hey all.... figured I'd start one thread about traffic tickets so we do not need to sift through all of these types of threads in Car Talk on a daily basis.

So, feel free to post your ticket info here. If you're posting here to reply... be sure to quote the person you are replying to so they know you are "talking" to them.

I've moved the few active threads into here, and all future threads should go here as well. I did not include the 37 mph over the limit thread b/c it has nearly 60 replies... and didn't want this to get messy. When that thread dies I will just lock it.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by spurfan15
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some advice on a traffic ticket. I was issued the citation under CA VC 22450(a) (stop sign) in Kern County. I live pretty far from there, so someone suggested trying a trial by written declaration. I've already gotten a 30-day delay, so I need to decide whether I want to contest it via written dec. or just pay it.

I can automatically do traffic school if I just pay it online and so I can avoid a point appearing on my record that way. If I contest it, I think I can note in the written declaration that I'd still like traffic school if found guilty, but then it's at the judges discretion. Basically I'm nervous that if I'm found guilty, the judge might just reject my traffic school request. Then I'd have to either get stuck with the point or I'd have to request a new, in person trial, try again, request it there, etc... and I really don't have time to go down to Kern County.

Any advice or additional info? Thanks!
I got a ticket - paid both the fine and the traffic school fee up front and then did the written declaration. They wont take traffic school away from you if you are found guilty - at least not usually
Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tldrummer89
Hey guys,
Well i was at a meet last month and the police decided too crack down on many of the cars there. My car was parked and right when i turned it on too leave (since they were kicking us out of in n outs parking) they stopped me. Long story short....i got a ticket for my HKS Carbon ti Exhaust I've had a fix ticket before so i know i have too take it too a police office too get it checked off, but i was wondering if im going too still have too pay the $233 for the exhaust ticket since i placed my OEM exhaust back on? Thanks for the help!
dude this happened to me once and you know what!

i put my shit back to stock and went to a local chp station and went inside the office and said i need to pay for the ticket, and he said your not gonna make me come out there and look at it are u and i said NO! and he was behind his window working like a dmv window.

So u might wanna stop by there and say that u need to pay for it, and play stupid from there, like if he ask did u fix it just say yes, and he will prob say something like, ok lets go look at it, then all u gotta say is no i mean imma fix it soon or something like that.

because they didnt really care to come out and look at the car and i changed my catback and my n1 exuast for nothing

So go toy with them i might work i would.

Last edited by tl_dinhsum84; 05-27-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
In the late 80's I got an exhaust ticket on my 86 300ZX in Woodland Hills. I took it to the CHP station after I had it returned to stock and paid a 10.00 administrative fee.

Bring it to a CHP station and see what they say.
Thanks for all your support guys. Finally i took it yesterday too the CHP and the officer signed all 4 the correctable citations. (no front plates, obstructed view [Clippers parking pass], Tinted front windows, and Modified exhaust) I took it too the court and they told me to either pay the full $239 on the spot OR get a court date (3 months from now) show the judge that the officer checked off all of the citations and only pay $100 total. (which is $25 for each total of 4) It used too be $10 till January. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tl_dinhsum84
dude this happened to me once and you know what!

i put my shit back to stock and went to a local chp station and went inside the office and said i need to pay for the ticket, and he said your not gonna make me come out there and look at it are u and i said NO! and he was behind his window working like a dmv window.

So u might wanna stop by there and say that u need to pay for it, and play stupid from there, like if he ask did u fix it just say yes, and he will prob say something like, ok lets go look at it, then all u gotta say is no i mean imma fix it soon or something like that.

because they didnt really care to come out and look at the car and i changed my catback and my n1 exuast for nothing

So go toy with them i might work i would.
haha thanks dude, but i read this advice a little too late And it took me like an hour too bring it back too OEM so i was on a mission too make his lazy ass get up and walk outside into the heat too see it. i wasnt going too do all the work for nothing haha
Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Racer

oh really!!! DAMN !!! did he look like he was wanting to go outside? no huh ..
Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Traffic Lawyers in Socal?

Hey guys, one of my friends just got his third speeding ticket An 79 in a 65. He's afraid he's going to get his license suspended, so he's wondering, does anyone know of any good traffic lawyers around the LA area?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 PM
One on the right for me

I didn't now they gave speeding tickets in LA.

He might have some decent luck simply looking in the phone book. Although it is probably hard to weed through the advertisements most of the time the outcome is determined on how good of a relationship the attorney has with the court.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Drifting

Tickets on the highway are such fucking bull shit. I can understand giving tickets for people speeding in town/in the city but my car doesn't even feel like it's moving at all until I'm running around 80.

I feel safer driving 80-85 on the high way personally. I'm more alert and I'm not getting piled up in traffic. The only ticket that should be given unless you're driving obscenely fast is for following too close.

I guess that would make sense if tickets were for safety instead of fund raising :/

/rant off
Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
One on the right for me

Yeah I don't really know about that...
Old 06-07-2009, 01:31 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Unhappy So i got a ticket. Advice?

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.... JUST NEED TO MAKE SURE I EXPLAIN ALL CORRECTLY.

OK guys.. so tonight, driving home, after dinner (left the restaurant around 7:45pm) an officer flashed his headlights (not his red&blue flashers) at me. I was half a block away from my driveway. I turned my headlights on and proceeded to make a right onto my street then drove into my driveway (I live on a corner house) & open my garage. She made a u-turn and turned on her red flashers. So I stoped my car before going into my garage. I am figuring she must have thought I was trying to evade her because she pulled in hard & fast and both her and her partner rushed to my car (I was with my wife & 2 kids). She asked why I turned so quickly after she flashed me & I told her that I was going home. I gave her my license, insurance card & registration as she asked. She realized I wasnt lying about my residence. Then she visually inspected the entire car. I am guessing she might have been fired up a bit thinking I was going to run, so she tried to find things wrong with the vehicle as to not waste a traffic stop. Everything was up to par except for my front tinted windows. So she went back to her patroll car and started doing her paperwork. It was taking a while so I asked permission to take my wife & kids into the house. She said OK as long as I did not leave my vehicle. So I unloaded my 20month daughter & my 9 year old son and my wife went inside the house with the kids. She (my wife) ended up changing my daughters diaper getting a soda then her & the kids came back outside to wait with me.

A few minutes later, the officer called me over to sign my ticket. I asked what the ticket was for and she told me she was writing me up for "Tinted window" violation, & not having my headlights on when dark. I then politley replied "It isnt dark yet" it was barely kind of borderline getting dark (this was 20 mins after she had originaly pulled me over) I told her I thought it was a bit harsh for being home already with plenty of light left. She coldy cut me off and said she was not going to change her mind & to "take it to court". So I signed the ticket at 8:34pm(she put 8:30 on the ticket) She then tried to tell me that she should have also wrote me up for not having my daughter buckled in correctly, and I knew she was just getting anal. (I am a huge sissy when it comes to the saftey of my kids, cuz I have an uncle that works in the ER & talks about the horror stories of kids getting ejected & having to try unsuccessfly to save their lives.) I am 100% sure I buckled her in correctly!

Eventually she drove off and I ran inside to grab my camera. I ended up grabbing my wifes point & shoot cuz it was the first one I cold find. Its about 8:45 at this point. I take some pics & then run to wallmart to try to develop instantly so I could have a recipt with todays date on it, Wallmarts instant Kodak machine was down so I ended up getting them done @ CVS Pharmacy.

I don't mind paying the "fix it" ticket for the tinted windows... Im just kinda pissed that she tried to stick a borderline headlight infraction on me & this is gunna run up my insurance! I googled the sunset time for my town & it was oficially at 8:16pm... I am 99% sure I was pulled over around 8:10-8:12pm.

SO BELOW are the pics that I took after she left...(around 8:40pm)
DO U GUYS THINK I HAVE A CHANCE IN COURT (about the headlights not being on)

PLEASE ADVISE... any CALIFORNIA OFFICERS OUT THERE?
maybe u guys can shed some light on my issue.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:37 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Having tint I understand but the lights? That is some bs right there.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What vehicle code violation did they cite you for?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
24250 VC "No Headlights Durring Darkness"

Quick Reply: ** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves