Year One with the Blackbird #142 RLX Sport Hybrid

Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Year One with the Blackbird #142 RLX Sport Hybrid

From the moment my car arrived off of the delivery truck, and was sitting in a muddy parking lot at the main delivery drop off point for my dealer last December, I demanded that I and the technician who would handle it moving forward would be the only hands who touch it. I’m admittedly a little nutty and eccentric about keeping my cars clean and dealer delivery fresh so I try to keep things sparkling at all times. The winter time makes me crazy as washing and paint care is very difficult so I have to be creative.

When I took delivery last New Year’s Eve 2014 and pulled out of the parking lot, the first 50 yards had me hooked as I had bought the car having never driven it other than the mile run from the drop parking lot to the dealer. It had 3.4 miles on it at delivery if my memory serves me. I did not discover the sport mode until I was almost home from the dealer, and then I had to extend my trip to experience that! I soon figured out that 1st gear had to be engaged manually. Discovering the brake hold, sport mode and M1, then “dropping the hammer” became the elixir for any frustrations I might have day to day. With the countless times I have had someone else in the passenger seat, the comments of ‘wow” or “holy #$%@” when I have set things up to launch or simply merge into traffic on our notoriously short entrance ramps in the area, has been something I look forward to. The luxury/value/reliability value ratio are fantastic.

The TSB and front suspension issues have been irritating but not a deal killer for me. It is a machine and no machine is without flaws or needing maintenance. My experience so far has been amazing regarding tire and brake wear. At 21,000 miles I have 7/32nds of tread left and very even wear. When I rotated the tires recently for the second time the brakes look new. I clean the suspension parts when the tires are off, partially because of my OCD to cleaning the car but also I give everything a thorough inspection.

Generally I change the oil at around 5,500 to 6,000 miles which is typically when the MID says I’m at 50%. I know I don’t have to do that as often, but it’s my thing. I changed the air filter the other day with a K&N as I have always done for years in other cars I have owned. The old one was not a dirty as I expected. I changed the cabin air filter too and that looked virtually new but I changed it anyway. Wipers are still perfect after a year of use. I do wish the aluminum kick plates were less susceptible to scuffs. Sometimes when it was very hot and humid in the summer time the trunk would stick shut when I opened it electronically. That is basically the short list of “issues”. For any car that is excellent in my opinion.

I had a severe accident on July 31st in my 2014 MDX which totaled that vehicle and initially I thought my family and I miraculously got away with minimal injuries. I was wrong. I took the brunt of the problems with a whiplash injury that effectively eviscerated two disks in my neck. My health degraded very quickly and within a short time surgery became the only option to resolving my issues. I’m streamlining the experience but I have worked very hard to get back to as much of my pre-accident flexibility. I am not there yet, but my recovery has progressed very steadily. The MDX performed as the engineers designed and crumpled in such a way to protect the main cabin and its occupants as much as possible. I have no doubt that the RLX is designed in a similar manner.

My mpg experience started in the mid 20’s in the winter and by spring rose quickly to frequent and consistent 30+ mpg every tank. My lifetime average is now at 29.3 mpg and the best single 10 mile or greater trip I achieved was 47.9 mpg which was mostly on rolling hills and no stop lights. At least 50% of that trip was in all EV mode which was amazing. I drive 99% of the time in eco mode as I find the sport mode more difficult to drive smoothly as the throttle is far more responsive. What I enjoy the most are the long waves of torque that the EV motors and ICE provide at any everyday speed. Watching the torque delivery in the HUD or on the upper screen in the dash is super cool. I wish I could configure the upper screen to have the power delivery on one side and the mpg screen on the other. Unfortunately the EV torque delivery and the Navigation screens are only the only pair combinations. I don’t use any voice commands so I can’t comment on its ease of use.

Regarding the handling, for everyday use we will never find its limits but on a track that would be different. In the snow it has amazing on-demand traction even without snow tires. I can only imagine what it is like with them. I assume our fellow SH owners in the great Canadian north can comment better on that.

It is particularly fun to be in a parking lot and have the car move in EV mode and catch someone by surprise as they are not expecting a large vehicle like this to be a hybrid operating in stealth mode. The headlights are both distinctive with the double row of LEDs and amazingly effective. The quality of the light and the visual span is beyond anything I have experienced previously. Many people in various parking lots have come over to speak to me about the car over the last year and it is always a joy to share my observations.

So in short, there are many very cool technology items to crow about in this vehicle, and a few I would modify in the next generation to which I will be a buyer no doubt. I have no intention of trading this car in on another one as I would just buy the next one when it became available. As much as I like the styling of this generation of RLX, I do wish the Sport Hybrid looked distinctive from the FWD RLX with a different grill, front and rear bumper covers, exposed dual exhaust pipes, and the LEGEND name given an official resurrection from the dead. Also more aggressive wheel tire package to include 265 or 275mm width tires with the same sidewall aspect ratio and rim diameter. That would give it a bad boy stance like the old MB AMG performance cars of the past. Then I would market the NSX and the LEGEND side by side as the halo cars. Maybe Acura could make the next RLX closer to a supercar by increasing the EV motor hp/tq, improving the battery system to operate for a longer period of time in all EV mode, and maybe adding a single turbo to the ICE so that it does not step on the twin turbo toes of the NSX, but can make the amazing performance of the current car even better. I think being able to advertise 475 hp or more and back up its claims with dyno sheets of its power delivery efficiency to the wheels, tested performance numbers 0-60, ¼ mile time/speed, and top speed without the governor turned on, would help in the marketing against the Germans and the British. I have no doubt that this would help the brand image and sales. Then they have to train the sales people on the product and encourage them to talk about it, not as a unicorn but as the grand automobile it could be for the brand, except nobody knows about the current RLX Sport Hybrid. Even the sales manager of my own dealership does not truly understand and appreciate what it is because when I speak to him from time to time, he claims to not get it. If the sales manager of an Acura dealership does not get what is so special about the Sport Hybrid, how will his staff of sales people? The tech people in the service bay know about it which is why they get excited every time I bring it in for service.

I’m looking forward to many highly satisfying miles in the years to come and thoroughly enjoy the product.
The following 14 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
2011TL (01-04-2016), a35tl (01-09-2016), bronx1480 (01-04-2016), George Knighton (01-06-2016), hondamore (01-04-2016), JM2010 SH-AWD (01-04-2016), Limelight (01-04-2016), Malibu Flyer (01-04-2016), neuronbob (01-04-2016), old blue (04-16-2016), pcloadletter (01-04-2016), pgeorg (01-04-2016), sooththetruth (01-04-2016), wstr75 (01-04-2016) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

As much as I proof read before posting I made a couple of typos. Oh well I guess I can't be a writer for the New York Times, not that I would.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Fear not. I am the master of typos with my one handed typing. Further I suffer embarrassment from auto-correct mishaps.

And to be a writer for the NYT, you need not be concerned with typing skills, nor political objectivity, nor journalistic skills, nor a conscience, nor morality, nor.......
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (01-09-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Fear not. I am the master of typos with my one handed typing. Further I suffer embarrassment from auto-correct mishaps.

And to be a writer for the NYT, you need not be concerned with typing skills, nor political objectivity, nor journalistic skills, nor a conscience, nor morality, nor.......
A fellow Republican! Awesome! Not that I am happy with that party either but the hate is less. No more comments on that is needed from here on out. I'm done.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I am an Independent. I vote on issues, not party alignment. And I do not believe that people with traditional or conservative values (some of which I share) should be mocked, vilified, or treated as an enemy. Nor do I believe people who think they are smarter than others are entitled to make decisions for others. The political class(es) disgust me.

But getting off the soapbox, Honda as a mass market brand and Acura as a luxury / near luxury brand are conservative in the execution, marketing and tried and true engineering. I think the RLX SH / LEGEND breaks the mold of traditional and hybrid sedans as much as the NSX will attempt to break the mold of halo supercars. And neither will get the respect I feel they deserve.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
A fellow Republican! Awesome! Not that I am happy with that party either but the hate is less. No more comments on that is needed from here on out. I'm done.
Allow me some liberty to clarify: I consider myself a Constitutional Capitalist with Liberal tendencies. I technically align myself to the Republican party for primary voting reasons, but I can be coerced to vote either way if a candidate can somehow bridge the insanity of both sides and get reasonable things done without sacrificing basic liberties we all share and enjoy (free speech, right to owning weapons if we were so inclined, etc...). Taxation without representation, and limits on Executive Branch authority are big ones for me. Ok, now I am done. Back to the the topic.

What a freaking great car!!!
CadiGTi (01-04-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Attached Thumbnails Year One with the Blackbird #142 RLX Sport Hybrid-iu.jpg  
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Back on topic, since I don't care about anybody's politics......

This is a nice summary. I feel similarly about my car with the only issue being my consistently (relatively--compared to everyone else) not-stellar mileage.

At this point, I am awaiting what Acura plans for the next RLX. I plan to be in Detroit for the NAIAS, which begins next week, to see the new design direction Acura intends with its design exercise. I am hoping that direction keeps me with the brand at the time my lease ends next year. After driving the RLX, downsizing to a TLX, as competent a car as that is, will likely not cut it for me. We'll see soon enough.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Not if my life depended on it.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob

This is a nice summary. I feel similarly about my car with the only issue being my consistently (relatively--compared to everyone else) not-stellar mileage.

At this point, I am awaiting what Acura plans for the next RLX. I plan to be in Detroit for the NAIAS, which begins next week, to see the new design direction Acura intends with its design exercise. I am hoping that direction keeps me with the brand at the time my lease ends next year. After driving the RLX, downsizing to a TLX, as competent a car as that is, will likely not cut it for me. We'll see soon enough.
Thanks doctor. One question, with all of the modifications you have made to yours, when you turn it in at the lease end and remove all of the "extras", what are you going to do with them? Sell them on EBAY?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Thanks doctor. One question, with all of the modifications you have made to yours, when you turn it in at the lease end and remove all of the "extras", what are you going to do with them? Sell them on EBAY?
Yes.

The Legend badge takes about 30 minutes to remove from flossing off to completion of polishing. I have the original RLX badge, which I can easily stick back on.

The wheels, illuminated door sills, and Navtool....the Black Market here or eBay.

It's a lease, so I haven't done anything irreversible.

I've got 20 more months to not worry about it.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes.

The Legend badge takes about 30 minutes to remove from flossing off to completion of polishing. I have the original RLX badge, which I can easily stick back on.

The wheels, illuminated door sills, and Navtool....the Black Market here or eBay.

It's a lease, so I haven't done anything irreversible.

I've got 20 more months to not worry about it.
Got it.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts

Dr Bob, out of curiosity, have you driven and would you consider the new/current Hyundai Genesis? Dimensionally they are almost the same size as the RL/RLX, and offer very similar features (albeit no Hybrid). I was very impressed with a 3.8 AWD with Ultimate package Genesis I had driven last year (incredibly comfortable seats with Ultimate package). The few people I know that own them seem to be very pleased. It looks like by years end Hyundai will be selling the Genesis line through their own separate dealerships. The other interesting car appears to be Lincoln's new upcoming Continental.

Ed
Old 01-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
I personally like the styling of the new Genesis and would be happy to test drive one. To be honest, though, if I don't lease/buy an Acura, I'll end up dailying my V wagon again, or considering a 3G CTS-V.

A year from now, I'll be starting the test drive process for whatever replaces the Sport Hybrid. Should be fun, I love test drives!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Does anyone know what the reliability of the Genesis looks like?

My impression is that it is less than Acura, even given the initial problems some RLX PAWS owners have experienced.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

It would be more likely for me to give a serious look at the 2016 Audi S6 before looking at the Genesis or Equus.

2016 Audi S6 Quattro Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Hyundai Genesis Reviews - Hyundai Genesis Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/equus
Malibu Flyer (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
They look nice
Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Malibu Flyer...While I have no experience with the Genesis, I have a little Hyundai Accent (base model) with 98 500 km with ZERO issues whatsoever....never even replaced the brakes! I had one battery that was changed under warranty because during an oil change, it didn't meet the crank power, but had no idea it was weak.

Bottom line, I have gained lots of respect for Hyundai, their steering feeling is horrible but they offer great features for a great price and reliability on mine has been flawless....Not even a squeak or rattle and the car is almost 4 years old and been exposed to the cold/harsh Canadian winters!
Old 01-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Malibu Flyer...While I have no experience with the Genesis, I have a little Hyundai Accent (base model) with 98 500 km with ZERO issues whatsoever....never even replaced the brakes! I had one battery that was changed under warranty because during an oil change, it didn't meet the crank power, but had no idea it was weak.

Bottom line, I have gained lots of respect for Hyundai, their steering feeling is horrible but they offer great features for a great price and reliability on mine has been flawless....Not even a squeak or rattle and the car is almost 4 years old and been exposed to the cold/harsh Canadian winters!
Thanks for relating your experience. Perhaps the Koreans are taking a page from the Japense book, build a reliable car to gain some brand imagine while you play catch up with the older, more established competition. I remember when I saw my first Honda car, a Civic, in the early '70s. I thought it was crummy, cheap car that was a piece of junk. I had owned a Honda motorcycle but thought they didn't know anything about how to build cars. While the first Civic wasn't much compared to the American cars of the day, it proved to be a reliable well made car. Slowly the brand gained some respect because inexpensive didn't mean poorly made. While I am not sure Hyundai is up to Acura's standards yet it seems perhaps they are on their way to becoming a true competitor.
neuronbob (01-10-2016)

Search this Thread