View Poll Results: Would you recommend a 2014/15 PAWS RLX?
Yes
40.00%
No
46.67%
Other-explain below
13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Would you recommend the car that you currently own 14/15 RLX (non Hybrids) to friend

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:41 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Would you recommend the car that you currently own 14/15 RLX (non Hybrids) to friend

I have been up and down this forum. I wish I new how to do a Poll on here. My question for the day is that would you recommend the car you have, whether it be base, tech, krell, advanced (but no hybrids). Everyone on the earth wants a hybrid myself included but not going to pay $55K. But would you recommend the current car you have to a friend if they could get the same car that you had and experience the same problems or no problems at all. I can have a simple Y or N as a answer. The reason I ask is that I don't want to buy a car and then feel like I wish I didn't. I had that before I even started driving it since I found out it was in a wreck but too late for me to back up at that point in time. Most of you guys have had your car long enough to say Yes I made a good choice or no I messed up and wish I wouldn't have done this. I want to see what the responses are for this towards me going after one of these basically new cars. Please no answers like I would wait until the 2017 comes out and then see if any changes if not then yes.. God knows when the 2017 will come out and then when it does there won't be much play in the price anyway.
For others that want to read on why I am doing this I will write. If you don't know I have a car that works fine now but god knows how much longer it will work. It could work another 100,000 miles but it could go out because of a faulty engine design in which the gas doesn't spray on the engine and gets carbon buildup. I already have 40K miles on the rebuilt engine after 1.5 years. That problem happened at 140K miles on my car now. More problems, my credit is great right now 720+ atleast (this is after being at 0 in august). I might have 2 things going on my credit and neither is my fauilt. 1 is a bill for advertising from a radio station for $500 and a guy pocketed the money that I gave him to give to the company at some point in time and said I never paid but I did. #2 a credit company that I didn't pay 15 years ago, or atleast a collections company on my butt saying I am having 2 criminal cases filed against me for a credit card company that went out of business in 2004 (fleet bank). SO I don't know if my credit will be hurt or not. I am working on my credit. I have 2 prepaid loans at $250 each and 2 Credit cards that are never 30% of the balance and I always pay 80% of the balance each month now. So my credit could go to hell if any one of these things hit and then I would have to buy the car in cash like I did my last 2 and I Don't want to do that for a 40K,50K car. I do have a really bad beater car 1999 volkswagon Passat with almost 200K miles on it that has been hit on all 4 sides that I threw a ton of money into trying to keep it running and gave up on it. The cars transmission slips a lot (not sure if it is fluid or not, they say it is sealed and can't do anything about it). If things go right and I get a lot more Y then N. I was thinking about taking that Passat 500 miles to Alabama getting the 2014 Certified RLX tech white car with upgraded wheels on it with 1200 miles on it for $38350 and say give me $1000 for the Passat for the trade in and we have a deal. I don't really have to have a car right now but as soon as my car starts doing that eating 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles it is about to have serious issues again and what if I can't find a good deal on something? And my credit goes down. I am just lost and don't know what to do. The longer I wait the more money I can spend on a car. I have been waiting on one of these RLX to be 3 years old and then buy 1/2 MSRP but right now 38K for basically brand new is good but then I see all this talk about how bad this thing is and it makes me say "stay the hell away from it for now" is what I am getting from everyone. And if you get this far, how much better is the Krell sytem then stock? I know it is better but is the stock system atleast decent?
Old 04-05-2015, 06:00 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
First about the RLX there is a reason a year old car is selling for almost half of the MSRP. Consumer Reports rated it owners in the Luxury mid size car as the least satisfied. As far as the RLX they said based on the poor reliability that they can not recommend it. J D Power rates Acura based on owners response out of 32 manufacturers number 25 in initial quality. Second don't take this the wrong way but only as a wise financial suggestion. If you have not paid your credit card bill off every month for at least a year you should not think of buying a $38,000 car. A 2011 bulletproof Honda Accord with 50,000 miles sells for around $14,000. I understand your concern about your current car.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I would not recommend the '14. Too many problems. I have made more trips back to the dealer than I did with the '97 Sable which was the previous low point in my car ownership. The '15 and '16 may have the problems worked out.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I had an FWD RLX Advance before my Sport Hybrid and I think that, yes, I'd probably recommend it.

The querent, however, seems to have a myriad other issues to deal with and perhaps that changes things for him, personally.

I think that if I were he, I'd probably get a CVT Fit and sort my finances first. :-)
Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
I would recommend the 2015, I have not had any of the problems listed with the RLX that have been posted on this forum by 2014 owners. However, reading your posting I am not sure this car would be good for you since it does not have the markdown I am seeing with the 2014. The 2014 looks like it going from $30 to $40k depending on the trim. Where the 2015 are in the low $50 k.

Last edited by woropallo; 04-05-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Sounds like the more appropriate financial decision would be to not buy the RLX as it seems to be out of your budget.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (04-05-2015), neuronbob (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Sounds like the more appropriate financial decision would be to not buy the RLX as it seems to be out of your budget.
This. Go buy a used 9G Accord. It's large enough, safe, bulletproof, comfortable, cheap, and the resulting low payment will allow you to build your credit.

Edit: Poll added. My vote is "other" given your stated circumstance.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-05-2015 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
No. The 14' is the 1st run of the new 5G Legend design, and as such was not an overall well executed product for the market segment and price it was created for, and thats coming from 35k+ miles and almost two years experience owning my 2014 Advance model. From what little history I know, it's very similar to the first year run (2004) models of the 3G TL, that was also plagued with numerous quality control and design issues.

Getting one in near new condition with low mileage for under $40k (especially an Advanced trim) certainly changes the scope of whether its a good deal or not. Its a great deal at that price. But whats yet to be seen is what other long term issues will crop up over time as a result of the overall poor execution on the first year model. For me its no different than if someone asked me if they should buy a 2004 TL vs a 2006 or higher...Id gave them the same answer as I'm giving you. No.

Sometimes the truth isnt what people want to hear, but yes, either get the improved 2016 model or wait for the 2017 which has a good chance of carryinf even more improvements to make the car really become what it should have been. Or get a different car that fits better to your current financial situation.

Good luck.

Last edited by holografique; 04-05-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Krava, I feel compelled to share some advice...
Non-productive debt, such as credit cards and car loans are like chains and anchors that will forever hold you back from any attempt at wealth accumulation and financial freedom. I will echo the previous posts that recommend that you focus your energies to paying off all debt before you consider purchasing a luxury car.

There is no shame in being practical and driving a car that you can truly afford. If anyone judges you because you are driving a used Accord or Civic instead of an RLX, that is THEIR problem and you can be happy knowing that you have made a smart decision and made a real plan to get ahead in life.

For what it is worth, I drove a car worth less than $1000 for the first year after I built my dental practice because I had a business loan and a mortgage to pay off. A year later, I was debt free and THEN, once I could pay cash for a car out of my savings, I rewarded myself with a "new" car (I still bought a car that was a year old because it was $12000 cheaper).

The decision is yours because it is your life, I'm just sharing some "old man" advice.
The following 8 users liked this post by hondamore:
2011TL (04-05-2015), DASS (04-06-2015), George Knighton (04-05-2015), Malibu Flyer (04-05-2015), MisterZDX (04-05-2015), neuronbob (04-05-2015), woropallo (04-05-2015), wstr75 (04-05-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^ I was in practice for five years before I even thought of anything approaching luxury car status, and I made sure I bought a house first for my family. Paying down that debt is king. Now I'm debt free other than my house and a single line of credit that is paid off regularly to keep my credit up.

I know you're not asking for the debt advice but some of us have been where you are and the best thing to do is not to spend too much.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
George Knighton (04-05-2015), holografique (04-05-2015), woropallo (04-05-2015), wstr75 (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok here comes some advice to echo others here: I did not have a dinosaur as a first pet but I'm not young gun either. Having been grizzled with life experiences and built many businesses, I have attained a relatively high level of success. As such my expenses are far below my net income. So having NO debt including a paid off mortgage, never carrying a credit card balance, the only potential financing I would consider is a car payment offering under 2% carrying charges. Thus I could easily cover a monthly car payment of any amount, but wouldn’t because a car is not an investment. There are practical reasons to own one, esoteric pride or perceived status, or simply for fun, but no car is worth putting your financial life in jeopardy. I don’t believe we are arbitrarily fortunate or lucky, rather we take steps to make our own success. If you are stretching financially to try to afford any car, you shouldn’t. Based on the information provided, buying a decent used car that is less than $10,000 seems to be more prudent. Even if you have to finance it over 60 months at a 10% APR with no money down would cost you around $225 per month depending on your local state sales tax rate. In short, as much as you might like to purchase the RLX, you should wait until it actually fits into your budget.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
DASS (04-06-2015), wstr75 (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Racer

Somehow people got the wrong idea I have credit cards I started in 2000 and didn't pay off. I don't see why I should pay them off in 2015 since it is way too long for them to collect on it. I have 85K in cash saved up. I own a business and I pay my employees a total of $500 a week (these are part time jobs). I can take over my business whenever I want. I make several K a month on ebay and several K a month at my business with me not even being there. But I am a cheap SOB or lets say that I am always looking for a deal. The 1998 acura NSX I bought in 2000 was marked at 136K on the sticker (upgraded comptech everything at John Eagle Acura) and I walked out paying $97,500 after I was about to walk out the parking lot after he said $107,500 and dropped the price $10K as soon as I was leaving and got my attention. My last 2 cars the Lexus GS 400, and 300 I bought got at 1/2 the MSRP or close to it both several years old and with miles on it. This is the first car I saw with a steep discount and damn near new so that is what I was interested in it. I saw just yesterday there is an article on the net about how the RLX has declined again in FEB 50% in sales again. From what I see not many people want a car. If I HAD to have a car right now that is probably what I would get, but I can put it off. Right now my mind is set probably on a 2016 Lexus GS 350 new one with some kind of a deal on it and I will probably buy on the last day of Lexus's Financial year at Sewell Lexus in Dallas. I have been interested in the acura RLX from the start. There is no other car on this earth that has a ton of power and great gas milage (the hybrid). I put a ton of miles on them. If gas prices go back up and there is a hybrid out there 2015/16 with a good deal on it and no more of these problems I am seeing here, I might get it. But there is no way I will take a RLX even a hybrid for the same price as a GS (same year and all). I am fed up with my GS but I am not going to turn away from it. There has to be some people out there like me. I just bought a Tag Heuer watch from ebay 2013 model $3,300 retail for $900 (after the $100 ebay bucks factored in). The thing is in perfect shape, real and who would ever know I didn't buy it new. I thank you all for the comments whatever they may have been. If I get a RL, I will be on here to let you know. If I end up with another lexus I will still be on the club lexus page where I posted a lot recently. These forums help. I was all set and ready to buy a used GS300 with all the options I want 25K off of MSRP and only 2 years old. I wanted someone to run an autocheck on it because I didn't want to get hit with what I got hit with again. After running an autocheck that car had 3 wrecks within just a few months of each other. Who knows the damage that was done except the person that originally owned the car. I am the type of person now I don't care if the MSRP was $60K and the car is selling for 10K and it is 2 years old 22,000 miles and looks nice, I won't be gotten again. Now if all I had was 10K I might then consider it I can't be that bad of a cheap ass again. If I get a new car I will stop spending $30+ a day on food eating out. I hope some of this clears things up. You can some it up saying I am a "sucker" for a deal. Those type of people buy clothes, like pants that are $125 at Dillards for $18-$25 even though they can't fit in them yet and think they will later on. I have several of those put up and waiting on me, even though it has been 10 years or so I still have hope
Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
^^^ Paragraphs and spaces my friend. It makes post so much easier to read
The following 4 users liked this post by MisterZDX:
2011TL (04-05-2015), bronx1480 (04-05-2015), DASS (04-06-2015), weather (04-06-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krava
Somehow people got the wrong idea I have credit cards I started in 2000 and didn't pay off. I don't see why I should pay them off in 2015 since it is way too long for them to collect on it. I have 85K in cash saved up. I own a business and I pay my employees a total of $500 a week (these are part time jobs). I can take over my business whenever I want. I make several K a month on ebay and several K a month at my business with me not even being there. But I am a cheap SOB or lets say that I am always looking for a deal. The 1998 acura NSX I bought in 2000 was marked at 136K on the sticker (upgraded comptech everything at John Eagle Acura) and I walked out paying $97,500 after I was about to walk out the parking lot after he said $107,500 and dropped the price $10K as soon as I was leaving and got my attention. My last 2 cars the Lexus GS 400, and 300 I bought got at 1/2 the MSRP or close to it both several years old and with miles on it. This is the first car I saw with a steep discount and damn near new so that is what I was interested in it. I saw just yesterday there is an article on the net about how the RLX has declined again in FEB 50% in sales again. From what I see not many people want a car. If I HAD to have a car right now that is probably what I would get, but I can put it off. Right now my mind is set probably on a 2016 Lexus GS 350 new one with some kind of a deal on it and I will probably buy on the last day of Lexus's Financial year at Sewell Lexus in Dallas. I have been interested in the acura RLX from the start. There is no other car on this earth that has a ton of power and great gas milage (the hybrid). I put a ton of miles on them. If gas prices go back up and there is a hybrid out there 2015/16 with a good deal on it and no more of these problems I am seeing here, I might get it. But there is no way I will take a RLX even a hybrid for the same price as a GS (same year and all). I am fed up with my GS but I am not going to turn away from it. There has to be some people out there like me. I just bought a Tag Heuer watch from ebay 2013 model $3,300 retail for $900 (after the $100 ebay bucks factored in). The thing is in perfect shape, real and who would ever know I didn't buy it new. I thank you all for the comments whatever they may have been. If I get a RL, I will be on here to let you know. If I end up with another lexus I will still be on the club lexus page where I posted a lot recently. These forums help. I was all set and ready to buy a used GS300 with all the options I want 25K off of MSRP and only 2 years old. I wanted someone to run an autocheck on it because I didn't want to get hit with what I got hit with again. After running an autocheck that car had 3 wrecks within just a few months of each other. Who knows the damage that was done except the person that originally owned the car. I am the type of person now I don't care if the MSRP was $60K and the car is selling for 10K and it is 2 years old 22,000 miles and looks nice, I won't be gotten again. Now if all I had was 10K I might then consider it I can't be that bad of a cheap ass again. If I get a new car I will stop spending $30+ a day on food eating out. I hope some of this clears things up. You can some it up saying I am a "sucker" for a deal. Those type of people buy clothes, like pants that are $125 at Dillards for $18-$25 even though they can't fit in them yet and think they will later on. I have several of those put up and waiting on me, even though it has been 10 years or so I still have hope
I would imagine most of the RLX owners are more likely to wear an elevated Breitling or Patek Phillipe over a Tag, and not likely to buy them on ebay either, but based on your comments I have to wonder why you would stretch yourself to attempt to afford an RLX or any car in this range?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have enjoyed the 2015 RLX P-AWS Tech, which I bought new at $46,298 (plus tax & license - ~2.75K) including about 2.3 K of accessories. No issues other than verbal commands. Would recommend it...
Old 04-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord90MDX01RLX15
I have enjoyed the 2015 RLX P-AWS Tech, which I bought new at $46,298 (plus tax & license - ~2.75K) including about 2.3 K of accessories. No issues other than verbal commands. Would recommend it...
Great Deal !!!!
Accord90MDX01RLX15 (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Damn, as a former RL owner (2006) and owner of 2 Legends (93,94), Acura sure has gone downhill based on all the reports in here.

No issues w/ the RL I owned, normal maintenance.
I was seriously considering the RLX too
Old 04-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
I may be one the newest owners of the 2014 RLX Tech, but I can without hesitation recommend the car to a friend.

I purchased mine outright and used for 36k, and I have no regrets. Many of the issues people were reporting during the first model year were corrected by the time I got my car so my experience has been nothing less than stellar.

In my case, I'm 50 years old, and have longed to own an Acura since 1986 when the Legend was introduced. Back then I was 22 years old, and didn't have the resources to buy or maintain such a car. Today, by the grace of God, I am fully established and when I saw the 2014 RLX I was very impressed with its styling and creature comforts. The RL, in my opinion, was simply too small, and did not have the road presence and big car luxury feel as I believe I now have with the RLX.

No one can know whether you buy this car or that one if you will have buyer's remorse (that's more personal and internal to each individual), but as to whether I have any reservations about recommending the car; I have none.
neuronbob (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
I have been up and down this forum. I wish I new how to do a Poll on here. My question for the day is that would you recommend the car you have, whether it be base, tech, krell, advanced (but no hybrids). Everyone on the earth wants a hybrid myself included but not going to pay $55K. But would you recommend the current car you have to a friend if they could get the same car that you had and experience the same problems or no problems at all. I can have a simple Y or N as a answer. The reason I ask is that I don't want to buy a car and then feel like I wish I didn't. I had that before I even started driving it since I found out it was in a wreck but too late for me to back up at that point in time. Most of you guys have had your car long enough to say Yes I made a good choice or no I messed up and wish I wouldn't have done this. I want to see what the responses are for this towards me going after one of these basically new cars. Please no answers like I would wait until the 2017 comes out and then see if any changes if not then yes.. God knows when the 2017 will come out and then when it does there won't be much play in the price anyway.
For others that want to read on why I am doing this I will write. If you don't know I have a car that works fine now but god knows how much longer it will work. It could work another 100,000 miles but it could go out because of a faulty engine design in which the gas doesn't spray on the engine and gets carbon buildup. I already have 40K miles on the rebuilt engine after 1.5 years. That problem happened at 140K miles on my car now. More problems, my credit is great right now 720+ atleast (this is after being at 0 in august). I might have 2 things going on my credit and neither is my fauilt. 1 is a bill for advertising from a radio station for $500 and a guy pocketed the money that I gave him to give to the company at some point in time and said I never paid but I did. #2 a credit company that I didn't pay 15 years ago, or atleast a collections company on my butt saying I am having 2 criminal cases filed against me for a credit card company that went out of business in 2004 (fleet bank). SO I don't know if my credit will be hurt or not. I am working on my credit. I have 2 prepaid loans at $250 each and 2 Credit cards that are never 30% of the balance and I always pay 80% of the balance each month now. So my credit could go to hell if any one of these things hit and then I would have to buy the car in cash like I did my last 2 and I Don't want to do that for a 40K,50K car. I do have a really bad beater car 1999 volkswagon Passat with almost 200K miles on it that has been hit on all 4 sides that I threw a ton of money into trying to keep it running and gave up on it. The cars transmission slips a lot (not sure if it is fluid or not, they say it is sealed and can't do anything about it). If things go right and I get a lot more Y then N. I was thinking about taking that Passat 500 miles to Alabama getting the 2014 Certified RLX tech white car with upgraded wheels on it with 1200 miles on it for $38350 and say give me $1000 for the Passat for the trade in and we have a deal. I don't really have to have a car right now but as soon as my car starts doing that eating 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles it is about to have serious issues again and what if I can't find a good deal on something? And my credit goes down. I am just lost and don't know what to do. The longer I wait the more money I can spend on a car. I have been waiting on one of these RLX to be 3 years old and then buy 1/2 MSRP but right now 38K for basically brand new is good but then I see all this talk about how bad this thing is and it makes me say "stay the hell away from it for now" is what I am getting from everyone. And if you get this far, how much better is the Krell sytem then stock? I know it is better but is the stock system atleast decent?
what is your reasoning for wanting a hybrid? If it's to save gas/money then it's for wrong reason. If its to reduce your carbon footprint then fine. Batteries do not last for ever and look at paying $5k to replace when the time comes.

Personally, I'm about to purchase either the Krell or Advanced model. Not sure if the few extra bells and whistles are worth the extra few grand ... used or CPO ... I never buy new.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jpadilla
what is your reasoning for wanting a hybrid? If it's to save gas/money then it's for wrong reason. If its to reduce your carbon footprint then fine. Batteries do not last for ever and look at paying $5k to replace when the time comes.

Personally, I'm about to purchase either the Krell or Advanced model. Not sure if the few extra bells and whistles are worth the extra few grand ... used or CPO ... I never buy new.
I live a few miles south from you. Indeed, in Texas, it is harder to make the argument given the cheapness of gas. I am not getting into the argument of carbon footprint (CF) as it is complex given the manufacturing, electricity, replacement and disposal CFs. I drive the Tech (ELS) version. Krell is 2K more and Advanced is another 2K. You have the advantage of 2 dealers in Austin which might give you more choices as dealerships don't stock many of RLXs.

@woropallo
Thanks... I also financed the entire thing at 1.69% for 66 months at my credit union (essentially swaping a higher interest Parent Plus loan for this)!

Last edited by Accord90MDX01RLX15; 04-06-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord90MDX01RLX15
I live a few miles south from you. Indeed, in Texas, it is harder to make the argument given the cheapness of gas. I am not getting into the argument of carbon footprint (CF) as it is complex given the manufacturing, electricity, replacement and disposal CFs. I drive the Tech (ELS) version. Krell is 2K more and Advanced is another 2K. You have the advantage of 2 dealers in Austin which might give you more choices as dealerships don't stock many of RLXs.

@woropallo
Thanks... I also financed the entire thing at 1.69% for 66 months at my credit union (essentially swaping a higher interest Parent Plus loan for this)!
unfortunately for me, i'm particular with what I want ... so far sterling and mcdavid haven't been able to find anything ... looking at two (one Krell and the other Advanced) that are located out of state. If the timing is right, hopefully I'll be driving one back from Arizona in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm not sure why the OP is interested in a Hybrib, but I would have liked to experience the SH-AWD. I wish Acura had made a different decision and not limit the SH-AWD to the hybrib model, and made it standard on all RLX trims.

As the flagship car for the brand, the SH-AWD should have been standard, and the hybrib an option. Nonetheless, I still have no reservations about recommending the car as it is.

Last edited by DASS; 04-06-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

The latest CR reliability rating now includes the 2014 RLX. Reliability is not as bad as envisaged by forum denizens. Suspension is solvable. If you want, buy one at these fire sale prices. If not, wait for the 2015s and 2016s to come down in price--they will, and they'll fare even better in the CR reliability ratings, just as the RL improved year to year.

The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
DASS (04-06-2015), TSX69 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I can't speak for the OP but as a Sports Hybrid owner the reason to own this car is for performance. The MPG is a small plus but the way the car accelerates and handles is what distinguishes the Hybrid from the PAWS. It is hard to describe the way the car performs in words since it is different than most cars. For me the difference is well worth the price premium.
The following 3 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
DASS (04-06-2015), hondamore (04-06-2015), neuronbob (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I absolutely recommend the RLX PAWS. As a prior owner of a 2002 RL, 2006 RL and now a 2014 RLX PAWS Advance, this car is the best vehicle of all. My 2006 RL was a dependable sweet car that never let me down. . . . . but it had a cramped backseat area, non-luxury looking rear end styling, a slightly smallish trunk and drank fuel when in the city. My 2014 RLX PAWS gets great fuel mileage, has a large back seat area, larger trunk, quieter interior, more luxurious looking exterior and goes like a rocket from 50 mph to 90+ mph when passing on a two lane road. The Advance's active cruise control is the single most appreciated feature I use when traveling. Yes, I miss my the AWD when accelerating from a stop on a rainy day, but outside of that, my RLX is a significantly better car than my 2006 RL. I bought it with 15K miles on the clock and have put 8K miles on it in the past six months without any suspension complaints. These 2014 RLX PAWS cars with 20K miles are going for the same or less than a Lexus ES350 of similar age and miles, yet the RLX is considerably more car than the Lexus in my opinion.
DASS (04-06-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Talking Yes, I Would

I have no problems recommending a 2014 RLX to a friend as it is a not a bad car as long as you are OK with what it is (v6, FWD etc etc). Other than a couple of minor issues, I have not had any major ones like others are reporting. The infotainment system may not be the greatest but it is not that difficult to learn either. The ride can be harsh/brittle, so if you are looking for a plush luxury soft ride, this is probably not the vehicle for you.

The actual selling price of the vehicle, is its biggest draw IMHO. If it were not for incentives, however, I would have a hard time recommending it (this also lends to the cheaper used prices).

Finally, I like that it is so rare on the road. I get a lot of looks when I am out & I am guessing that many of them are people just trying to figure out what I have.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
DASS (04-07-2015), wstr75 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Grandpa

The only thing that I cannot explain away as a matter of perception and taste is the wind noise issue.

Enough people complain about the suspension that they've released a fix for the 2014 front suspension, and revised the damper design for successive models. Still...insofar as I can tell, it was a matter of perception, not a matter of function.

The infotainment system: I think that what hurt them was that they released a complicated system a little ahead of other people. If you've been in a recent Cadillac or Lincoln, believe me, the Acura infotainment system is awesome and easy to use. And it helps that it's attached to the marvelous Krell Audio system.

People who reviewed the RLX and panned the infotainment system subsequently reviewed the TLX and said, basically, this is fine when you get used to it, and it's certainly better than others.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I can't speak for the OP but as a Sports Hybrid owner the reason to own this car is for performance.
Quoted for truth. I obtained the Hybrid for performance and the large back seat. While I have complained about the mileage, the mileage is, frankly, a tertiary concern to folks purchasing or leasing this car.

I am a performance car addict, and though others may pan me for saying so, this is Acura's first effort at a performance car since the Integra days. Yeah, it's a very heavy luxury car, but it's not the boat you might imagine. (OK, it is a boat compared to my S2000, but you get what I mean.) You can drive it reasonably hard and be satisfied.

Just wait until they can introduce the Sport Hybrid tech further down the Acura line. Can you imagine an ILX, no, I mean, Integra, with the Sport Hybrid tech?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but Malibu's post made me think of this.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I would imagine most of the RLX owners are more likely to wear an elevated Breitling or Patek Phillipe over a Tag, and not likely to buy them on ebay either, but based on your comments I have to wonder why you would stretch yourself to attempt to afford an RLX or any car in this range?
patek are nice watches....very good advice
Old 04-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
what did you do with the nsx?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Racer

cops took nsx got raided with 2 payments left on it. Then it was I guess auctioned off to someone that upgraded even more. That person did the hood and Nos etc.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

a) raided?
b) Worse: NOS on an NSX with the next owner?

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-07-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:41 AM
Racer

1998 Acura NSX Custom (2008-07-15-08GEE10) is the car
I paid $97,500 for it with 2,500 miles on it in 2000. taken away in 2005 2006 it was bought at a police auction for $38K with 24K miles on it. I finally talked to the guy that got it (technically the 2nd owner) on 4/9 to get info on it. He did a bunch of extra crap to it I wouldn't have done it already had enough done to it. You can see the alchohol injection thing, he said he even took the $10K supercharger off and put another one on it. Don't ask me why
Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by neuronbob

a) raided?

Sometimes...you just have to know to stop asking questions.

<--I seem to be using that emoticon quite a bit around here.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (04-11-2015), neuronbob (04-13-2015)