Why is everyone hating on the RLX?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Why is everyone hating on the RLX?

What's so bad about this car?

1. It's got Honda's most powerful produciton engine and most sophisticated drive-train.
2. It addresses one of the largest complaints of the RL which was lack of space.
3. It is clearly differentiated from the TL now, and aimed at a different audience.
4. It's go a lot of touches which can't be had in the Accord...for example a capless gas cap, haptic feedback touchscreen, valet mode.
5. The performance is close, if not better than some of the other vehicles of this size and price-range, especially when you start looking at the base models.

Styling is subjective. Audi basically makes the same car in 8 different sizes so if you don't like the look, you probably won't buy an Audi. (o.k...had to insert a bad joke) The car will never look like a BMW from the side due to the layout limitations of Honda's FWD platform layout, but this is also the bread and butter and one of the reasons the millions of other vehicles they sell perform so well.

O.k. it's priced a little higher than we're accusomed to for Acura, but with the amount of content and adjusting for inflation early, is it really that far off.

Is there anything they could to the current RLX to win back buyers (i.e, add the fog lights, heated steering wheel, rear sunshades mentioned by the Consumer Reports reporter who thrashed the car) or is the it just too bland and lacking the "soul" found in some vehicles and not others, meaning they need to go back to the R&D department and spend millions on a something truly new?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No doubt: this launch is now officially botched. If even CR is complaining about this car, it is in big trouble in the market after the usual early bump in sales from RL owners looking to trade in.

You are correct in that the RLX takes care of the biggest complaints about the RL. The problem is that the Germans have moved the goalposts in the interim, in terms of luxury, and the automotive press likes to kick certain makers while they are down.

My best hope is that Acura gets the SH-SH-AWD RLX out ASAP, or does an early MMC like Honda did with the Civic. I am still of the opinion that it was a HUGE error not to have the up-level model ready at launch, or close behind the PAWS.

I want Acura to do well, but it is just not looking good in the mid-luxury market for them. Thank goodness they have the SUVs to fall back on.

The worst part is that the RLX is really not a bad car at all.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rsx2rdx
What's so bad about this car?

1. It's got Honda's most powerful produciton engine and most sophisticated drive-train.
2. It addresses one of the largest complaints of the RL which was lack of space.
3. It is clearly differentiated from the TL now, and aimed at a different audience.
4. It's go a lot of touches which can't be had in the Accord...for example a capless gas cap, haptic feedback touchscreen, valet mode.
5. The performance is close, if not better than some of the other vehicles of this size and price-range, especially when you start looking at the base models.

Styling is subjective. Audi basically makes the same car in 8 different sizes so if you don't like the look, you probably won't buy an Audi. (o.k...had to insert a bad joke) The car will never look like a BMW from the side due to the layout limitations of Honda's FWD platform layout, but this is also the bread and butter and one of the reasons the millions of other vehicles they sell perform so well.

O.k. it's priced a little higher than we're accusomed to for Acura, but with the amount of content and adjusting for inflation early, is it really that far off.

Is there anything they could to the current RLX to win back buyers (i.e, add the fog lights, heated steering wheel, rear sunshades mentioned by the Consumer Reports reporter who thrashed the car) or is the it just too bland and lacking the "soul" found in some vehicles and not others, meaning they need to go back to the R&D department and spend millions on a something truly new?

First off let me start off that my intention is not to be a HATER. I had been with Acura for 19 years and I would really like to see them succeed. There is no denying that they are a great engineering company.

The issue is that they seem to have no clue as to what they want the identity of the company to be. Are they a performance luxury brand? Are they solely focused on luxury?

Or are they just using Acura to test some technology that will someday find it's way to the Honda lineup?

I just don't know where they want to go. I REALLY like my second gen RL and I thought it was a statement at the time that they wanted to go down the performance luxury route. They then let the car languish.

The you get the horrible design statements of the Power Plenum grille that further alienated customers.

I personally agree with elements of the CR review in that they seem to be ignoring the market. Kind of like, "we know that everyone wants RWD based performance luxury cars, but we know better and we think you don't really need that. We think FWD will do you just fine and we'll throw some technology in there to try and differentiate it a bit more".

They may be right in thinking that, but if people think they want a RWD luxury sedan, they are going to buy one. They're not suddenly going to say, "D'oh, you're right, what was I ever thinking?"

Instead Acura keep taking the same ingredients, mixing it up differently and expecting it to work.

1st gen Legend - Built off of the Accord platform. Successful initially because they were first with a Premium brand.

2nd gen Legend - Still built off of the Accord platform but sufficiently diff entailed itself from the Accord since the Accord wasn't nearly as luxurious or offered a V6 at the time

1st gen RL (this is where they began to lose their way IMO). They felt the Legend name began to be bigger than the brand so they went to alpha numerical numbers. Still based on the Accord platform, but now it was more Japanese Buick (IMO)

2nd gen RL - STILL based on an Accord platform, but now added SH-AWD which was pretty cool and at the time it had the most powerful engine ever put in a Acura vehicle. They also added a tone of content and was considered a Best Buy on wheels because of all the technology. Offered great value and was well received initially. They then let it languish until it became a laughable offering.

RLX - Again repackaged and massaged Accord platform. Yes they added some tech too it, but now the value equation is gone. It offers NOTHING that would make someone consider IT over a BMW or Mercedes, especially for the FWD version. The performance doesn't differentiate it and now there value isn't there.

That's just my $0.02.
The following 6 users liked this post by GoHawks:
2011TL (04-10-2013), JT4 (04-10-2013), neuronbob (04-10-2013), noobie (04-10-2013), nore03 (04-12-2013), TiggaMan909 (04-10-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
No doubt: this launch is now officially botched. If even CR is complaining about this car, it is in big trouble in the market after the usual early bump in sales from RL owners looking to trade in.

You are correct in that the RLX takes care of the biggest complaints about the RL. The problem is that the Germans have moved the goalposts in the interim, in terms of luxury, and the automotive press likes to kick certain makers while they are down.

My best hope is that Acura gets the SH-SH-AWD RLX out ASAP, or does an early MMC like Honda did with the Civic. I am still of the opinion that it was a HUGE error not to have the up-level model ready at launch, or close behind the PAWS.

I want Acura to do well, but it is just not looking good in the mid-luxury market for them. Thank goodness they have the SUVs to fall back on.

The worst part is that the RLX is really not a bad car at all.
CR also went really far with the 2012 Civic and made it sound worse than it really was.......
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by GoHawks
First off let me start off that my intention is not to be a HATER. I had been with Acura for 19 years and I would really like to see them succeed. There is no denying that they are a great engineering company.

The issue is that they seem to have no clue as to what they want the identity of the company to be. Are they a performance luxury brand? Are they solely focused on luxury?

Or are they just using Acura to test some technology that will someday find it's way to the Honda lineup?

I just don't know where they want to go. I REALLY like my second gen RL and I thought it was a statement at the time that they wanted to go down the performance luxury route. They then let the car languish.

The you get the horrible design statements of the Power Plenum grille that further alienated customers.

I personally agree with elements of the CR review in that they seem to be ignoring the market. Kind of like, "we know that everyone wants RWD based performance luxury cars, but we know better and we think you don't really need that. We think FWD will do you just fine and we'll throw some technology in there to try and differentiate it a bit more".

They may be right in thinking that, but if people think they want a RWD luxury sedan, they are going to buy one. They're not suddenly going to say, "D'oh, you're right, what was I ever thinking?"

Instead Acura keep taking the same ingredients, mixing it up differently and expecting it to work.

1st gen Legend - Built off of the Accord platform. Successful initially because they were first with a Premium brand.

2nd gen Legend - Still built off of the Accord platform but sufficiently diff entailed itself from the Accord since the Accord wasn't nearly as luxurious or offered a V6 at the time

1st gen RL (this is where they began to lose their way IMO). They felt the Legend name began to be bigger than the brand so they went to alpha numerical numbers. Still based on the Accord platform, but now it was more Japanese Buick (IMO)

2nd gen RL - STILL based on an Accord platform, but now added SH-AWD which was pretty cool and at the time it had the most powerful engine ever put in a Acura vehicle. They also added a tone of content and was considered a Best Buy on wheels because of all the technology. Offered great value and was well received initially. They then let it languish until it became a laughable offering.

RLX - Again repackaged and massaged Accord platform. Yes they added some tech too it, but now the value equation is gone. It offers NOTHING that would make someone consider IT over a BMW or Mercedes, especially for the FWD version. The performance doesn't differentiate it and now there value isn't there.

That's just my $0.02.
Please excuse all of my typos in this. Damn iOS and auto correct.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Not hating, but more like pissed off that one of your favorite children with so much potential continues to throw opportunities away....
The following 2 users liked this post by noobie:
justnspace (04-10-2013), nore03 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by noobie
Not hating, but more like pissed off that one of your favorite children with so much potential continues to throw opportunities away....
Well put.
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Not saying it's been happening here, but it's currently "in" to hate on all things Honda and Acura on the internet.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Took me about five minutes to research the cars features and found out they are flat out lying about several things.

From the article:

Heated steering wheel? Not available. AVAILABLE ON ADVANCE
Heated rear seats? No. YES,ON ADVANCE
Power rear sunshade? Absent. PRESENT ON KRELL AND ABOVE
Sunshades for the rear side windows? Non-existent. EXISTENT ON KRELL AND ABOVE
Back-up parking sensors? Nope. YEP, ON ADVANCE.

If they wanted to say that their TECH model didn't have those things I would understand, but they are absolutely flat-out lying and/or are incredibly lazy.

Just something I noticed...
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Not hating either...just very disappointed!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by H_CAR
Not saying it's been happening here, but it's currently "in" to hate on all things Honda and Acura on the internet.
No different than it is/was "in" to hate on the domestics, or Hyundai, or Kia. You can either play the victim and have the "woe is me..." Mentality, or you can look to change your image.

Also I don't think Honda is being "hated upon". The Accord seems to be getting a lot of love.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Instructor

No different than it is/was "in" to hate on the domestics, or Hyundai, or Kia. You can either play the victim and have the "woe is me..." Mentality, or you can look to change your image.

Also I don't think Honda is being "hated upon". The Accord seems to be getting a lot of love.
No different yes, which exactly why I said "currently in" as in next year it could be Kia, Hyundai or any of the domestic brands. With the exception of the new Accord, Honda/Acura does get a lot of hate. Some of it is deserved, but I think some of is a bit excessive.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly, this car will be known for what it doesn't provide rather than what it does well, as apparent by the recent negative reviews; the initial reviews were relatively good. Sadly, this feedback will probably alienate potential buyers and even people who buy the car; I don't think any are too eager to join this forum with our feedback. I'm gonna try to be as objective as possible listing the good and the bad about the car.

The Good
This car provides top of the line technologies such as lkas and acc.
They do many things right with the car like class leading interior space and noise levels.
The transmission seems perfectly tuned.
The direct injected engine, while not as powerful as the German competitors, is very smooth and efficient as demonstrated by the great fuel economy numbers from the EPA and other testers.
Standard LEDs and 18 inch wheels and easily acquirable 19 inch wheels.
The interior has received pretty good feedback about fit and finish and materials.
While the prices are higher than what we are accustomed to, there are a lot of features for the price - even compared to Japanese competitors.
The audio systems are top notch with the base being the award winning els to the excellent krell system.
Paws allows the car to drive without under steer or oversteer.

The Bad
Lacks some features competitors have unless u go to the higher trims, likely a byproduct of having trim levels.
Ride quality isn't as good in uneven ground, probably a cause of the big wheels.
Styling is conservative, though styling is subjective.
Doesn't handle as well as some sportier sedans, though befitting of their target market.
Lacks competitors prestige.
The following users liked this post:
H_CAR (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts

^^Very good way of putting it.

I don’t think anyone is hating on the RLX as much as they are on Acura. Again how does Acura price the RLX as they are and expect it to sell.

It’s not as though the 2G was such a hugh success that people are lining up for the RLX and Acura can afford to price it as they please.

Think about, if any of us want an AWD RLX it seems that there is going to be at least a $10K (maybe more) premium. I understand it is more than just AWD but maybe 310HP is enough for some and they just want to add AWD.

But as always Acura continues to think that they know what is best for the customer and it has become tiring.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by 01luigi
Sadly, this car will be known for what it doesn't provide rather than what it does well, as apparent by the recent negative reviews; the initial reviews were relatively good. Sadly, this feedback will probably alienate potential buyers and even people who buy the car; I don't think any are too eager to join this forum with our feedback. I'm gonna try to be as objective as possible listing the good and the bad about the car.

The Good
This car provides top of the line technologies such as lkas and acc.
They do many things right with the car like class leading interior space and noise levels.
The transmission seems perfectly tuned.
The direct injected engine, while not as powerful as the German competitors, is very smooth and efficient as demonstrated by the great fuel economy numbers from the EPA and other testers.
Standard LEDs and 18 inch wheels and easily acquirable 19 inch wheels.
The interior has received pretty good feedback about fit and finish and materials.
While the prices are higher than what we are accustomed to, there are a lot of features for the price - even compared to Japanese competitors.
The audio systems are top notch with the base being the award winning els to the excellent krell system.
Paws allows the car to drive without under steer or oversteer.

The Bad
Lacks some features competitors have unless u go to the higher trims, likely a byproduct of having trim levels.
Ride quality isn't as good in uneven ground, probably a cause of the big wheels.
Styling is conservative, though styling is subjective.
Doesn't handle as well as some sportier sedans, though befitting of their target market.
Lacks competitors prestige.
You make some good points. I would just like to add something to your last “Bad Point” if you don't mind because IMO this is the main issue.

Lacks competitors prestige... at very close to, or the same price as the competitor.
There lies the problem

Last edited by JT4; 04-10-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by H_CAR
Took me about five minutes to research the cars features and found out they are flat out lying about several things.

From the article:

Heated steering wheel? Not available. AVAILABLE ON ADVANCE
Heated rear seats? No. YES,ON ADVANCE
Power rear sunshade? Absent. PRESENT ON KRELL AND ABOVE
Sunshades for the rear side windows? Non-existent. EXISTENT ON KRELL AND ABOVE
Back-up parking sensors? Nope. YEP, ON ADVANCE.

If they wanted to say that their TECH model didn't have those things I would understand, but they are absolutely flat-out lying and/or are incredibly lazy.

Just something I noticed...
CR didn't perform their due diligence. Shame on them.

I think the new RLX was engineered and designed by HMC in Japan, just like the 2nd generation RL. Those folks apparently don't care if the car sells well in North America. They are simply using the RLX as a way to test technology that will hopefully end up in future Hondas. They just want to sell enough RLXs to justify the car's existence. If it takes 5 years to hit that number, fine with them. If it takes 8 years, that also seems to be fine with them.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Well put.
DITTO!!! And you still love them no matter how many times the make mistakes and disappoint you.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL
DITTO!!! And you still love them no matter how many times the make mistakes and disappoint you.

That's why I'm still here and I don't have an Acura.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Instructor

^^^^^ Yup. I'm in the RL forum with a MDX! This has got to be the most active forum to sales ratio of any auto out there.

Acura are you listening? We want to buy your cars...Please give us something we want
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts
Honda/Acura makes a great product that those of us who drive them appreciate every day. The refinement of the vehicles and sporty/luxury combination does not appeal to everyone but if you enjoy a quality and reliable vehicle and are not worried about what others think, these cars are for you. The RLX is a fine automobile no doubt and maybe many are knocking it because they cannot afford it. I think the all wheel drive/hybrid will really rock, but again the price point will limit the sales.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pens Fan
The RLX is a fine automobile no doubt and maybe many are knocking it because they cannot afford it. I think the all wheel drive/hybrid will really rock, but again the price point will limit the sales.
It's the exact opposite. I think the ones knocking it are the ones that can most afford it. It doesn't give us what we want. We have a lot of choice in this price range and that would be the only reason price limits sales, because I'd rather choose something else.
The following 6 users liked this post by noobie:
2011TL (04-10-2013), dwest1023 (04-10-2013), GoHawks (04-10-2013), jnc2000 (04-24-2013), JT4 (04-10-2013), justnspace (04-10-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I actually think the 2G RL was an overall better value. Yes, the base price of the RLX is less than the outgoing RL, but look at what you lose in the process. Some of the options like power rear sunshade, rear side window shades, power folding mirrors and ventilated front seats were standard on the 2012 RL and now you have to get to the third or fourth level up before you get these features. Some of those features were standard when the 2G was released in 2005. Even bigger is the fact that you are losing AWD. On most other vehicles checking the AWD option box will set you back $1500-$3000. In fact, Acura themselves charge a $3,550 premium for AWD on the TL.

Let's face it, RLX buyers are being cheated by Acura. Let's look at it this way. Take a $56k 2012 RL Tech/Advance. Let's hypothetically delete SH-AWD and subtract $3500, (Acura's own numbers), from its price. Now we are at $52,500. Now compare all of the features of that hypothetical 2012 FWD RL at its new $52,500 price point against the 2014 FWD RLX Advance at $60,450. If you can find me $8,000 worth of added goodies I will retract my statement. And don't go comparing what it would cost to get similar options by adding 15 different packages to a BMW 7-Series. Comparing the RLX to a BMW 7-Series is laughable at best.

Also, looks are subjective, but this car is overly bland and conservative. Many Acura fanboys on this site will adorn their blinders and look right past the RLX's exterior styling...I will not.

Last edited by BDoggPrelude; 04-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Drifting

From CR's review:

"If the RLX were Acura's answer to the $38,000 Toyota Avalon, I'd say it hit the mark. It's a large, roomy sedan that's sort-of plush, even if it's unexciting to look at or to drive. But Honda positions this car to compete against the Audi A6, Lexus GS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and the like... You've got to be kidding me."

^^^This is statement is the the RLX in a nutshell.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
And the echo chamber continues. These threads have proved conclusively that current Cadillac, Miata, and TL owners are extremely disappointed in the RLX. Not that any of them were actually considering buying the car.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM

it's the exact opposite. I think the ones knocking it are the ones that can most afford it. It doesn't give us what we want. We have a lot of choice in this price range and that would be the only reason price limits sales, because i'd rather choose something else.
exactly!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by dwboston
And the echo chamber continues. These threads have proved conclusively that current Cadillac, Miata, and TL owners are extremely disappointed in the RLX. Not that any of them were actually considering buying the car.
I was considering buying it and when I saw it I bought the CTS.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I'm with Bdogg; its like they got scared and went with something bland.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually I was waiting to see the car and drive it. My M lease is up soon and I wanted to come back to Acura and was hoping the RLX would be the answer. When I saw the pics last year I was disappointed, but I decided to wait and see if maybe the car in person and driving it would change my mind. If you search this forum I basically was at the dealership within hours of them getting their RLX Advance and was one of the first to drive it. I posted my review after a 45 min test drive. So yes some here probably were never interested in the car, but some of us were. At this point I am not into the RLX, maybe had the AWD version come in around $60K fully loaded and drive awesome I might have thought about compromising, but I think Acura has lost it's way and on a $60K price tag I do not plan on making many compromises.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Drifting

06 RL owner here. I would not even remotely consider buying the RLX. Maybe after a MMC refresh and seeing how the SH-SH-AWD model does. At this point, if my car was totaled tomorrow, the only current Acura product I would be interested in is the TL SH-AWD 6-speed.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I will,also add that when I look at the competition, especially the new CTS I see Acura becoming more and more a thing of my past. And that is a shame as I love their build quality and reliability, but in the end my car has to invoke emotions from me.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
It's the exact opposite. I think the ones knocking it are the ones that can most afford it. It doesn't give us what we want. We have a lot of choice in this price range and that would be the only reason price limits sales, because I'd rather choose something else.
Thank you, for speaking my mind. I was looking to move up from my TL because I can. Problem is Acura is not building anything for me to move up to.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KeithL
...maybe had the AWD version come in around $60K fully loaded and drive awesome I might have thought about compromising, but I think Acura has lost it's way and on a $60K price tag I do not plan on making many compromises.
^^^Exactly. I was honestly shocked when Acura released the pricing for the RLX. $60k for the fully loaded AWD model would have been a $4k price hike from the outgoing model and would have been acceptable considering the new tech goodies. I just don't see the value in this car when compared with other $60k vehicles.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
A few points to make, ie my two cents:
- For those who think the RLX is overpriced, wait a year and I believe discounts off MSRP will be available. Does your opinion of the RLX change with $10,000 off the price? You can't blame Acura for maximizing the revenue from the early adopters. That said, I definitely agree that the price of the RLX has created a huge part of the negativity regarding the launch.
- For those who think the RLX doesn't offer enough performance (especially when compared to other luxury brands) and is a lowly FWD, wait a year and I believe the hybrid SHAWD version will deal with many of those concerns in spades. That said, NeuronBob hit the nail on the head when he said it was a MASSIVE mistake to launch without the AWD version - the PAWS version gave us absolutely nothing to get excited about and made the launch a big snoozefest and unfairly made the RLX a target for negative reviews.
- For those who don't love the RLX styling, wait 3 or 4 years and hope for a MMC. Unfortunately, with fuel economy gains (and not styling or performance)now apparently the driving force behind Honda/Acura and many other manufacturers, the aero design of the cars will severely limit the styling opportunities and leave us with a lot of bland, especially in the large sedan market. My biggest knock on the styling of the RLX is that, from the side, it looks too much like an Infiniti. I give minor style points for the Jewel-eye headlights, but deduct those points and more for sticking with the large shield in the front grill.
- Finally, for much of the target market, the RLX is a good-sized, well-equipped vehicle to drive themselves and three buddies to the golf course and a quiet, luxuriously appointed cruiser (with a kickin' audio system) for highway trips out to the cottage or to the mountains for a weekend. It doesn't scream, "look at me - I'm rich now", which is the largest obstacle to sales but many of the same folks who bought the Legend/RL will buy the RLX and a few upwardly mobile Accord owners will join them regardless of what is said on internet forums.
Again, just my two cents.

Last edited by hondamore; 04-10-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondamore
My biggest knock on the styling of the RLX is that, from the side, it looks too much like an Infiniti.
Huh? The RLX is rather bland from the side, almost like a Lexus GS is, but look at he current M and look at the curves, sorry IMO I don't see any similarity, and I'll take the M 20 Inch wheels any day over those RLX wheels. Now if you compare the RLX styling to the old style M I might tend to agree.

Last edited by KeithL; 04-10-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I am with you on both points! The RLX does not seem to have the swoopy lines/curves of the M. And the BIGGEST gripe of mine are the wheels! Someone had a photoshop of the RLX with the ILX wheels and they made the RLX already look so much better. Wheels can make/break a car. I wish Acura/Honda would care about completing the car rather than giving up just before they put the wheels and say "lets just slap these on, it will do" attitude!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hondamore
A few points to make, ie my two cents:
- For those who think the RLX is overpriced, wait a year and I believe discounts off MSRP will be available. Does your opinion of the RLX change with $10,000 off the price? You can't blame Acura for maximizing the revenue from the early adopters. That said, I definitely agree that the price of the RLX has created a huge part of the negativity regarding the launch.
- For those who think the RLX doesn't offer enough performance (especially when compared to other luxury brands) and is a lowly FWD, wait a year and I believe the hybrid SHAWD version will deal with many of those concerns in spades. That said, NeuronBob hit the nail on the head when he said it was a MASSIVE mistake to launch without the AWD version - the PAWS version gave us absolutely nothing to get excited about and made the launch a big snoozefest and unfairly made the RLX a target for negative reviews.
- For those who don't love the RLX styling, wait 3 or 4 years and hope for a MMC. Unfortunately, with fuel economy gains (and not styling or performance)now apparently the driving force behind Honda/Acura and many other manufacturers, the aero design of the cars will severely limit the styling opportunities and leave us with a lot of bland, especially in the large sedan market. My biggest knock on the styling of the RLX is that, from the side, it looks too much like an Infiniti. I give minor style points for the Jewel-eye headlights, but deduct those points and more for sticking with the large shield in the front grill.
- Finally, for much of the target market, the RLX is a good-sized, well-equipped vehicle to drive themselves and three buddies to the golf course and a quiet, luxuriously appointed cruiser (with a kickin' audio system) for highway trips out to the cottage or to the mountains for a weekend. It doesn't scream, "look at me - I'm rich now", which is the largest obstacle to sales but many of the same folks who bought the Legend/RL will buy the RLX and a few upwardly mobile Accord owners will join them regardless of what is said on internet forums.
Again, just my two cents.
So to summarize, wait until Acura drops the price, brings out the AWD model and redesigns the exterior. Lol. Yup, that about sums it up.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ lmao
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Or what we'll call wait for the 4G RLX....
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

At least at the end of the RL they were discounting them by $8K+
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
So to summarize, wait until Acura drops the price, brings out the AWD model and redesigns the exterior. Lol. Yup, that about sums it up.

Isn't that thing they did for the 2nd gen RL?

Actually with that model they started with AWD, dropped the price and then redesigned the exterior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is everyone hating on the RLX?