What features do you want in the next RLX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What features do you want in the next RLX?

A long time ago, I posted a thread asking what others thought the next RLX should look like.

I really liked my RLX, but felt it was lacking a few features that a mid-upper luxury car should have IMO.

What would you guys like to see in a new RLX, should Acura choose to continue it? Maybe Acura will see this and listen?

I'm not talking MMC....from my TLX, I can see what the RLX MMC (if it ever gets here) is going to have. I'm talking FMC here, for which I'm sure planning is well under way.

My partial list, which I'll add to as I think of more:
Keep Sport Hybrid system for those who want performance, would love to see it lighter, or if's going to be as heavy as the current system, at least more system power
A-Spec variant with tuned suspension for those who want performance, and maybe a more aggressive look
(Pie in the sky wish: NSX drivetrain with TTV6 and SH system....it'll never happen....but if it does.....I'll second mortgage my house to get it....and I'm sure I'll be the only buyer. )
Rear seat USB ports
Rear seat ventilated seats (not just heated)
Precision cockpit with single screen
Better wheel options
HUD on all models, but this time with more information rather than having to scroll through multiple screens to get what you want. For example, speed and tach together as an option.
Better quality wood-look (ala Volvo V60/90), for a more traditional luxury car look.
I want the interior of the car to scream, like an E or S class Mercedes, "I am special". No Acura offers that feel today, not even the new NSX.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
JTRADAR61 (08-10-2017), nore03 (08-11-2017), pgeorg (07-31-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
I love my rlx sport hybrid

1)Acura needs to get rid of the plastic dashboard and only have leather.
2) physical buttons to control A/C not a touchscreen to change fan speed.
3)massaging seats and active bolsters that reduce body roll like in the sclass
4) rear entertainment screen/s as an option
5) trunk power closing and opening with a kick under
6) better wheel options
7 white leather interior option. Real white not seacoast
8) plug in version/bigger battery for moreelectric range to get us carpool access
The following 3 users liked this post by quartzinterior:
neuronbob (07-31-2017), pgeorg (07-31-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
1) As on-coming traffic approaches have automatic adaptive light control to dim left side long-distance lighting while continuing to project right side long-distance lighting. I live in deer country and returning from airport at 3 AM this morning was working the lighting so as to keep those grazing deer on the right-of-way in perspective while not blinding my fellow on-coming driver. It occurred to me this is an easily accomplished task with Acura's Jewel front lights with appropriate sensor and control software.
2) Increase the hybrid battery capacity by slinging a flat pack under the floorboards and also add about 10 to 15% more electric motor power so the car can operate in the electric power mode a higher percentage in city driving. We had a RX400h and it would operate on EV across a wider acceleration and speed range in city driving. I have to feather the throttle in super granny fashion to get the same results as was seen in our RX400h. All the RLX hybrid needs is a wee bit more electric power and battery capacity and it would be seeing striking city mileage numbers for a big sedan.
3) Like others have noted: More standard USB ports and also USB-C ports, too.
4) A USB ported tray inside the console where watch adapters, phone adapters, other personal electronic items can plugged into and charged out-of-sight without direct sunlight heating, prying eyes and the customary spaghetti lines of charger cables snaking across the outside of the console
5) Make the hybrid trunk larger by moving to a flat pack battery slung under the chassis
6) Add high tech insulation in the roof and reflective glass so as to keep interior temperatures cooler when car sits in a sunny location.
7) Put a sport button within easy finger reach on the steering wheel for fast triggering of maximum power without taking the driver's eyes off the road ahead
8) Offer a silver in the same color range as the beautiful silver seen in the Gen 1 Acura after its MMC. Our 2002 RL was an especially beautiful silver IMHO.
9) Offer a gray green metallic and a brown interior to match for an iconically beautiful combination. Have a blue that also is iconically beautiful with a brown interior. Same said for a diamond white with same brown leather interior. In short, put some classically beautiful touches in the exterior/interior combinations.
10) Since there are so few RLXs produced and with the fact RLXs are made on a small assembly line in yearly or twice yearly batches, offer an "Individual" option for those Acura owners who want a special color exterior and interior where the car can be ordered months in advance. BMW does this and while not many folks opt for BMW's Individual option, it does create halo effect for its brand. Additionally, BMW's Individual colors in year X often become standard colors in later years, kind of like a comedy club warming up the audience with an unheard new comedian while waiting for the big star on the stage later.
The following 4 users liked this post by wstr75:
hondamore (07-31-2017), neuronbob (07-31-2017), pgeorg (07-31-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:19 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
In addition to the great mentions already:

1. User customizable virtual cockpit/dash. I mean able to change colors, mph/tach display options (virtual analog vs. numbers), etc.
2. The best 3rd party solution for phone usage. If that means Apple CarPlay, so be it. A well executed voice command smartphone mirroring would be nice.
3. LaneWatch. I love it in my wife's Pilot. That and BSM. Also, put BSM on the HUD and/or exterior side mirrors. I sometimes have to hunt for it.
4. I like the all seats heat/cool suggestion -- that should be there, like, now.
5. LESS touchscreens, more knobs & buttons!
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5
5. LESS touchscreens, more knobs & buttons!
That is a very ironic suggestion since I remember the '05 RL being criticized very harshly for having "too many buttons".

That said, simple buttons were sure a lot easier to figure out and operate while driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
neuronbob (07-31-2017), pgeorg (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
If it had a TTV6 SH Hybrid system I wouldn't even think twice about buying one. I would like the bluetooth without lag.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

I'm not talking MMC....from my TLX, I can see what the RLX MMC (if it ever gets here) is going to have. I'm talking FMC here, for which I'm sure planning is well under way.

My partial list, which I'll add to as I think of more:
Keep Sport Hybrid system for those who want performance, would love to see it lighter, or if's going to be as heavy as the current system, at least more system power
A-Spec variant with tuned suspension for those who want performance, and maybe a more aggressive look
(Pie in the sky wish: NSX drivetrain with TTV6 and SH system....it'll never happen....but if it does.....I'll second mortgage my house to get it....and I'm sure I'll be the only buyer. )
^^^ This!
Make the SH lean heavy on the 'sport' side, definitely A-Spec options. Oh, and I'd love a TT ICE engine as well, but would settle for more overall system HP. Electric torque is the magic ingredient in a SH.

My additions / upvotes:
More modes on the dynamics control, including a sports+ that is very close to 'track'.
Magnetorheological shocks to support more dynamics modes
Option to charge via plug-in, I live 'uphill' so battery will never be full when I park at home.
Supercapacitor to absorb regen amperage that exceeds battery storage rate, and to power 'push-to-pass' short-term boosts
Smarter lights, like steering following lighting, modulating jewel-eye array and using R/L fog lights to enhance slow-speed curve lighting. And not just lateral adjustments, but up/down as well. Illuminating crests or valleys requires counter-directional adjustments. I really benefit from this on my curvy mountain roads.
Also like the previously suggested high-beam dimming scheme of dropping one side or at least dimming/re-aiming the lights tracking approaching vehicle vectors
Another vote for custom pre-ordering to get desired mix of exterior color / Interior. In my case Silver metallic and Seacoast. Option for non-wood trims as well, it is two decades into the 21st century after all, what's the deal with dead trees in a car?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Instructor

Since we're talking FMC likely to debut in 2020 or '21, I'd bet the odds are high that we will see the RLX as a hybrid with an option for full-EV. I doubt an ICE-only model is worth building for such a low-volume vehicle. By 2025, ICE-only sales will be tanking badly, in some locations, it will not be allowed.

So the underlying architecture will likely be EV-oriented, with ICE (or fuel-cell) supplementation as range extender. Think the turbo 1.5L I-4 as the biggest ICE in this application.

So my wish list would be amended to hope for:
Torque vectoring on both axles, with twin-motor units on each. A total of 4 high-power electric motors. Honda knows how to manage SH on the front axle (NSX) and rear axle (RLX/MDX), so not much new to develop.

Can you imagine the handling prowess of quad-SH? Maybe with some rear-steering thrown in for good measure?

OK, now I'm getting a woodie ...
The following 3 users liked this post by JonFo:
hondamore (08-02-2017), neuronbob (08-02-2017), wilspainar (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by JonFo
Since we're talking FMC likely to debut in 2020 or '21, I'd bet the odds are high that we will see the RLX as a hybrid with an option for full-EV. I doubt an ICE-only model is worth building for such a low-volume vehicle. By 2025, ICE-only sales will be tanking badly, in some locations, it will not be allowed.

So the underlying architecture will likely be EV-oriented, with ICE (or fuel-cell) supplementation as range extender. Think the turbo 1.5L I-4 as the biggest ICE in this application.

Torque vectoring on both axles, with twin-motor units on each. A total of 4 high-power electric motors. Honda knows how to manage SH on the front axle (NSX) and rear axle (RLX/MDX), so not much new to develop.

Can you imagine the handling prowess of quad-SH? Maybe with some rear-steering thrown in for good measure?

Would all that tech be possible while at the same time trying to reduce the weight? Sounds good, but is it doable?
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moose66
Would all that tech be possible while at the same time trying to reduce the weight? Sounds good, but is it doable?
Since they'd be dropping the weight of a V6 + transmission, and a small motor-generator can weigh a good bit less, I'd guess they'd use the balance to include bigger batteries. So the potential weight difference would be minimal relative to the current Sports Hybrid. There is also the possibility that an EV-First oriented architecture might be lighter, but based on Tesla's weight, maybe not. It all comes down to the batteries.

At least a new EV-oriented architecture can have very low CG and better F/R weight distribution.

The big issues with a hybrid is you pay a penalty in weight and complexity, requiring the cooling and fuel systems for ICE as well as batteries and power controllers for the Electric motors. I think it might be too soon for an all-EV entry in this segment at Acura. I'd guess they'd do an ILX-class EV-only first, as that would have broader International appeal (under the Honda banner of course).
Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
1) a car that's actually built with the quality, workmanship and worthiness of it's place as a flagship.

If they can get that basic feature right, then anything else is a welcome addition.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I wonder if they have in mind downsizing in 2020 and changing the suspension design.

I'm hoping not, because they spent tonnes on this unique suspension design.

It's very good in adverse situations, even if it seems kind of clunky in daily driving with the KC1.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

If the new TLX suspension updates are similar to what I've experienced with my 2016 A-spec ILX (based on Bob's notes here on the forums), then they absolutely have room to improve and change on the RLX suspension. As evident in Bob's recent experience, you don't know how bad the RLX is in until you really have an opportunity to drive another current Acura vehicle.

I would highly recommend you spend some time in a 2016 ILX A-spec or the 2018 TLX A-spec. I remember test driving the 2014 SH and it didn't feel any different than my 2014 PAWS. It was only till I test drove a 2016 SH, that I noticed a considerable improvement over the 2014 models (SH or PAWS).

The suspension in my ILX is a night-n-day difference and handles very well when under pressure. I've tossed my ILX around pretty hard in some windy back roads here in North Georgia and it's awesome, yet handles every daily driver situation like a real luxury car should.

IMO, if the RLX is to be a true flagship, then it should have adjustable suspension options to allow the car to be properly transformed into whatever situation the driver is in the mood for. Practically every other competing vehicle in it's class offers this, and as an option, so you can choose if you want to pay more, or pay the same while giving up on something less important. If you wan to argue that the RLX provides a better "value" for the money compared to the competition, then Acura should offer adjustable suspension features as an option for those customers willing to pay for the feature. That way it doesn't impact the Acura "value" proposition while also catering to those willing to pay for more.

Last edited by holografique; 08-03-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I wonder if they have in mind downsizing in 2020 and changing the suspension design.

I'm hoping not, because they spent tonnes on this unique suspension design.

It's very good in adverse situations, even if it seems kind of clunky in daily driving with the KC1.

I agree, downsizing the car is definitely NOT a good idea.

It is true, I like my A-Spec's suspension. Smooth ride when you're not pushing it, great composure when you do push it. It compares to my 3G TL's A-Spec suspension. I would have been super-happy with my RLX's suspensin tuned thusly. Thus, my suggestion of an RLX A-Spec suspension package, for people who like to drive their sleeper like it's a....well.....sleeper.

For holographique, I'd only take a Mag Ride setup from Acura if they made it durable. I've done the adjustable magnetic suspension thing for eight years, between two CTS-Vs. I just had to replace the rear shocks on my V wagon at less than 38k miles/4 1/2 years. My fronts are now starting to go and I'll have to replace those, too. They are wonderful new, but wear faster than a traditional coilover system.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
holografique (08-04-2017), pgeorg (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
For holographique, I'd only take a Mag Ride setup from Acura if they made it durable. I've done the adjustable magnetic suspension thing for eight years, between two CTS-Vs. I just had to replace the rear shocks on my V wagon at less than 38k miles/4 1/2 years. My fronts are now starting to go and I'll have to replace those, too. They are wonderful new, but wear faster than a traditional coilover system.
Fair point. I think that's where offering it is an "option" for those who are willing to pay more (and deal with potentially higher maintenance cost, just like you did with the CTS-Vs) makes sense. With the default suspension being redesigned to be as good (or slightly better) to what we have in our A-Specs today.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
1. Adjustable suspension.
2. Adjustable drive modes.

I believe both of these are standard in the NSX and MDX hybrid.
holografique (08-05-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
All of the above so I won't repeat it, but maybe an NSX engine combo to equal 475 hybrid hp/500 ft/lbs hybrid combined torque.

AND, the concept car below:

The following 4 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (08-05-2017), JonFo (08-05-2017), neuronbob (08-05-2017), Philisophe (09-15-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
Hellz yeah. That concept was on point.

I dare, you Acura. I double dog dare you to release that as the next RLX design.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by quartzinterior
1)Acura needs to get rid of the plastic dashboard and only have leather.
2) physical buttons to control A/C not a touchscreen to change fan speed.
3)massaging seats and active bolsters that reduce body roll like in the sclass
4) rear entertainment screen/s as an option
5) trunk power closing and opening with a kick under
6) better wheel options
7 white leather interior option. Real white not seacoast
8) plug in version/bigger battery for moreelectric range to get us carpool access
1. not many cars have a real full leather dash and especially in the RLX price range. if youre ok with paying more then yes. id rather have the soft touch material it has not than plastic fake leather look.
2. the new infotainment setup kinda address this issue. one step instead of two.
3. once again find me a car in the RLX price range that gives you this option. if youre ok with a 80k + RLX then yes add massagers
4 rear entertainment? most people don't want these anymore. kids are more apt to use ipads and phones these days.
5. yes should be doable and not cost that much more. I have it on my LS600 but it opens and closes very slowly. Most of the time I do it manually.
6. I have the chrome look wheels on my wife's RLX and love them but yes, they could do better
7. you want lighter than seacost? you must be out of your mind. that's what we have in our RLX.
8. yes and yes
Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Nexx
1. not many cars have a real full leather dash and especially in the RLX price range.
Wasn't the 4G TL all leather?

It was a part of their marketing at the time that it was all natural or all recycled material, and designed especially not to put off the gasses that people had zeroed in on as a possible health issue.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

1. The rear sunshade automatically go down when the car is in reverse, and return to the up position when the car returns to the drive gear
  2. Auto-dimming headlights (return to low-beam when oncoming traffic is detected when the high beams are activated)
Old 08-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by moose66
  1. The rear sunshade automatically go down when the car is in reverse, and return to the up position when the car returns to the drive gear
  1. [*]
Yeah, that'd be good. :-)
neuronbob (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Lots of good suggestions here. Mine are
  1. Standard eSH-AWD
  2. Precision Cockpit
  3. Make the whole roof a dimmable sunroof (wishful)
  4. Precision Concept styling
  5. Those quantum headlights from the concept
And to respond to multiple peoples' queries: I would make the RLX like at least $60,000-$70,000 to start. Just make it f***ing awesome.

Last edited by kurtatx; 08-06-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by JonFo

I agree. 2020 will be the beginning of the tipping point for EVs over ICE. EV power train is so much simpler and lighter except for the battery. In the 2020 decade, I expect EVs to be cheaper to build/buy than pure ICE without any subsidy. 4 EVs would be a fantastic ride
Old 08-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by getakey
I agree. 2020 will be the beginning of the tipping point for EVs over ICE. EV power train is so much simpler and lighter except for the battery. In the 2020 decade, I expect EVs to be cheaper to build/buy than pure ICE without any subsidy. 4 EVs would be a fantastic ride
I think the tech that is more imminent is the self-driving tech. I understand everyone thinks EVs is the future (I am inclined to agree), but if oil prices are inexpensive and the current administration continue into the 2020s, I'm bearish on the EVs ability to take off.

Tesla is going to take a lot of lumps to get their EV off the ground.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

EV is the best platform for autonomous technology.

http://www.govtech.com/fs/Why-Autono...ly-Linked.html
Old 08-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Azine Jabroni

EV is the best platform for autonomous technology.

Why Autonomous and Electric Vehicles Are Inextricably Linked
This article makes a lot of claims and does very little to detail the economics of how EVs and AVs are "inextricably" linked. He concedes EVs are far too expensive but says EVs are cheaper long term. We simply do not have evidence to suggest that is the case, especially considering the cost of AVs. Teslas are flawed EVs and even the Model 3 is too expensive.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I would make the RLX like at least $60,000-$70,000 to start. Just make it f***ing awesome.
I'd say $50k-60k, but still make it fracking awesome. It's got to be priced below Benz/BMW/Audi as people are not willing to pay Benz money for an Acura, no matter how awesome. If they want to really play in the $60-70k space, the interior had better be pretty damned near perfect in execution, and the exterior droolworthy as people paying that money won't pay for a blandmobile. The current RLX is too bland and interior feature-thin for the mid-lux buying masses.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kurtatx
This article makes a lot of claims and does very little to detail the economics of how EVs and AVs are "inextricably" linked. He concedes EVs are far too expensive but says EVs are cheaper long term. We simply do not have evidence to suggest that is the case, especially considering the cost of AVs. Teslas are flawed EVs and even the Model 3 is too expensive.
Teslas are luxury cars first and EVs second. That was Musk's business plan. The Tesla S outsold every other luxury brand.
EVs will become less expensive - they are so much simpler in the power train. The only excess cost is the battery and these prices are dropping.

I don't know why expensive means it is a flawed EV. Most people think the flaw in an EV is the range, but this is changing too. I bet there will be a time when an EV will have a 1000 mile range. There is no ICE car with a 1000 mile range.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
All of the above so I won't repeat it, but maybe an NSX engine combo to equal 475 hybrid hp/500 ft/lbs hybrid combined torque.

AND, the concept car below:

Hot off the presses! Guess what is coming down the pike in 2 years? The car pictured above! And with a lot of what we are looking for from a content perspective! I am starting a new thread asap with news and commentary on what I am allowed to share after a lengthy conversation with a national Acura corporate person and extensive test drive in a pre-production model NSX today! Both topics will interest many on this board. Let me just say that the NSX is all that! WOW! I will respect what I was asked to keep private, but what I can share I will.
The following 4 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (08-06-2017), JonFo (08-07-2017), moose66 (08-07-2017), pgeorg (08-07-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Knighton
0_o You don't use the camera?
I use a combination of both. Just a habit to look in the rear view mirror out the back glass first.

Additionally, I'd like to have the ability to customize some of my own car options. For instance, changing the turn signal (the quick flash) from three flashes to 5 or 7. I have asked about this, and was told it wasn't even possible to make this change at the dealership. Hmmm
Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Red face Thoughts

I believe @ the very least, the RLX should offer everything that their competitors have in some package. Also, since Acura has no flagship above it, it would be nice if they took some Sclass & 7series options just to make it a better proposition from the brand.

RWD drive proportions would be nice. I am indifferent to RWD/FWD so @ the very least giving Acura different proportions would help to separate the RLX from the Accord. Lincoln & Volvo recently released their FWD based cars in the segment and they are doing relatively well. Lincoln brought back the Continental name so maybe Acura can finally do the same with the Legend? The Audi A6 & Cadillac XTS are FWD vehicles and they are outselling the RWD GS & Q70 so Acura can find some success in the segment with FWD.

Creature Comforts to consider & least on the top end:
* Extended thigh support
* Heated/cooled cup holders
* More USB ports
* AC seats (not just ventilated); backseat too
* Auto open/close trunk; struts would also help with the premium look & cargo space
* More accessories; the current RLX barely has any
* Higher grade leather/headliner
* Hi-Res screen/camera
* Panoramic Roof
* Real wood & metal trim options
* Wireless charging
* More backseat controls
* Ambient lighting
* More colors or at the very least make more options of the current combos possible
* 5 yr/60k miles warranty

I am sure there are more that will come to mind later. I think that Acura should pay close attention to the Lexus GS, as it has been struggling over the years and a lot of blame seems to go to competition from the ES. The GS has offered a lot of things like V8, RWD/AWD, hybrid, F-Sport etc but still does not sell well. Lately, they have even been passed by offerings from Cadillac, Volvo, Audi, Lincoln & Hyundai. If Lexus is slipping in the segment, Acura is going to have to work super extra hard to dig themselves out of last place. The same probably applies to the Infiniti Q70 but I believe that they, like Acura, suffer from brand cache in addition to the same struggles Lexus faces. It is interesting to note that as of late, the 3 Japanese Brands are at the bottom of this segment.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Get the suspension right
The following 2 users liked this post by miner:
holografique (08-11-2017), neuronbob (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 04:10 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
A longitudinal platform + twin turbo V6 + mechanical SH-AWD.

The long platform ALONE would solve a lot of design issues(longer hood so the cockpit has to be pushed to a more backward position) and the overall weight distribution is greatly improved.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

mechanical SH-AWD is dead for this car. I think it will be a dying thing for Acura in general
Old 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
mechanical SH-AWD is dead for this car. I think it will be a dying thing for Acura in general
Do they understand they dont have brand cachet to redefine the segment? If every other manufacturer is selling turbo 6 cyl longitudinal engines with all wheel option without 400-500 lbs of battery weight, they have to do that if they want to sell their vehicles. Why can't they learn from Genesis?

I hope apart from asking their die hard fans, they are asking buyers of competition what they want in Acura vehicles to win their business.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

the weight difference from mechanical AWD to hybrid AWD is not 400-500 lbs! Its more like a 150 lb diff.
The hybrid AWD is superior. Torque vectoring in the mechanical system can only be applied during acceleration. Not so with the Hybrid.
JonFo (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
the weight difference from mechanical AWD to hybrid AWD is not 400-500 lbs! Its more like a 150 lb diff.
The hybrid AWD is superior. Torque vectoring in the mechanical system can only be applied during acceleration. Not so with the Hybrid.
I agree. But current SHAWD is designed to hide limitations of FWD platform. If it was designed with rear wheel bias like other vehicles in the segment, it will not have that limitation. Anyways, i hope market response improves to sport hybrid type systems over a period of time and acura can sell RLX replacement in decent volume.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

the problem is that both cost and weight difference (that is lack of difference) between mechanical and hybrid AWD don't make sense to offer both. You can only get a lower price point RLX with 2wd and thus FWD.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Less we forget that the hybrid system even with its extra weight which is not much, will save on brakes enormously! I have 53,000 mile on the RLX-SH and the pads all around are measuring almost like new according to the last person who put on my tires a few weeks ago. He thought I just got new brakes! The regen process of the hybrid system takes a lot of wear pressure off of the brakes, like in the vicinity of more than 90%.
pgeorg (08-12-2017)